It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Public Schools Suck

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 09:52 PM
link   
a reply to: Domo1

It was bizarre to me to Domo. You have no idea.

I couldn't believe the principal when I spoke to her.

*sigh*

I don't know a lot of people in my area to ask that sort of favor from. I know my other kids all get dropped off to school and go right in. They don't have to wait at all. It's only an issue with my older child. I'll have to speak with her tomorrow about friends she has that drives to school or possible car pooling with friends.

CdT

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 10:08 PM
link   
a reply to: CirqueDeTruth

Good luck. Seems like complete nonsense. I could understand it if the school had no relationship with the bus system and was prohibited or under staffed to open the doors early, but this just sounds like piss poor planning and passing the buck.

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 10:27 PM
link   
a reply to: CirqueDeTruth

You'd be surprised how strict the public school district can be - In my middle school, they made us wait outside as well, even on the coldest of days (I've got a high tolerance for the cold). My fingers, by the time they would finally open the doors, would instantly start to smoke and burn (IE: They were a bit frostbit, and I'm surprised I don't have any lasting damage from that). I scared one of the people before, because I got a serious look on my face and told them "is it bad if my hands are blue right now?". That little antic got me in the doorway

Even my high school wouldn't let anyone in, unless you caught the eye of some of the nice teachers - they'd look around, and quickly open the door to let us in. (Or in my case, it was common knowledge that the side stage door and the band room door were always open).

Don't know how much trouble the school will be in, but looking back I think it would have been fine if they made all the kids wait inside something like the gym for school to start, rather than make us wait outside.

-fossilera

posted on Jan, 27 2015 @ 01:01 AM
link   
While I understand your side, having worked in public education in the US for a few years, it all comes down to the bloated bureaucracy. People lose their jobs, their careers, their life's work for being compassionate to the needs of students. Sadly, if you want to maintain your position in the US public education system, you tow the line or you lose your job.

I no longer work for any US public education institution, nor will I unless massive reforms take place (not holding my breath.)

posted on Jan, 27 2015 @ 11:02 PM
link   
Do not blame the public school, blame the high school. Talk to the principal to change its policy to open up the door for the school bus drop off. My high school has its doors opened at 6:00 a.m. Usually the janitors have the keys to open the front door.

It is your high school that kind of sucks at picking up kids.

Maybe get her a bicycle for the summer trip to school? Not one of those sporty bicycles(they cost a lot) because those are usually targeted to be stolen. A cheap and effective one.
edit on 27-1-2015 by makemap because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 29 2015 @ 08:19 AM
link   
Things have already improved. They are allowed to wait on the bus until 6:55 and the school opens at 7:00.

Always stand up - parents. It makes a difference for our kids.

CdT

top topics

<< 1   >>

join