It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sims and Simulations

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 12:55 PM
link   
There are those who believe we exist in a simulation, that in some far-off place or some far-off time, conveniently tucked into settings we could never observe, is a governing artificer legislating the physics, the chemistry and the biology of the universe. Sound familiar?

What we have here is not a particularly new idea; rather, it is an exaggerated old one, rehashed and repurposed to fit the more contemporary, yet still stupid, human mind.

I find the sort of casuistry required to keep this ancient idea afloat a sign that one is antagonistic towards life, or perhaps they simply do not experience enough of it to accept it for what it is rather than what they hope it to be. I also find it an underhand way to continue to deny one's responsibility, to leave it all up to someone else so to speak. Yet, despite the fact that centuries of sophistry were dedicated to arguing for this ancient idea, there is rarely a logical nor rational reason to accept it.

In that case, and since the idea is so old, why waste time devising new arguments against it?

If it is likely that we exist in a simulation, then it is just as likely that those who created this simulation also exist in a simulation, and so on and so on in the same old infinite regress. Of course, to someone like you or I, dear friend, the sims might reply "You're very clever, young man, very clever, but it's simulations all the way down!"

Thank you for reading,

LesMis

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 01:38 PM
link   
a reply to: LesMisanthrope

It might be an interesting idea and fun speculation. If true then it would sort of make life meaningless. That's not to say that life has meaning. It does seem in a way antagonistic to life...in the sense that it devalues the life that we have.

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 02:20 PM
link   
Given that if we were in a simulation. Would the very mathematics found in nature actually be code? The Fibonacci sequence? Pi?
Would there not be some sort of code? Cheat code? to allow us to change our destiny? escape? Is that what the elite hold?

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 02:26 PM
link   
a reply to: midicon

It might be an interesting idea and fun speculation. If true then it would sort of make life meaningless. That's not to say that life has meaning. It does seem in a way antagonistic to life...in the sense that it devalues the life that we have.

To myself it is a mediocre idea. It is nothing new; kind of like a movie remake.

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 02:28 PM
link   
a reply to: intunewithmyself

Given that if we were in a simulation. Would the very mathematics found in nature actually be code? The Fibonacci sequence? Pi?
Would there not be some sort of code? Cheat code? to allow us to change our destiny? escape? Is that what the elite hold?

Certain patterns are seen in nature. Math merely describes those patterns. I don't think it is wise to say math is found anywhere outside of math.

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 02:33 PM
link   
a reply to: midicon Ive always liked the theory because it provokes more philosophical questioning about life and reality.

I was always interested in Nick Bostroms idea on the Simulation theory

ABSTRACT. This paper argues that at least one of the following propositions is true: (1) the human species is very likely to go extinct before reaching a “posthuman” stage; (2) any posthuman civilization is extremely unlikely to run a significant number of simulations of their evolutionary history (or variations thereof); (3) we are almost certainly living in a computer simulation. It follows that the belief that there is a significant chance that we will one day become posthumans who run ancestor-simulations is false, unless we are currently living in a simulation. A number of other consequences of this result are also discussed.
www.simulation-argument.com...

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 02:35 PM
link   

edit on 26-1-2015 by midicon because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 02:36 PM
link   
a reply to: woodwardjnr

Ive always liked the theory because it provokes more philosophical questioning about life and reality.

How so?

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 02:41 PM
link   
a reply to: LesMisanthrope what is reality? What happens when you die? Who created the simulation? How did they do it? I would call those philosophical questions

edit on 26-1-2015 by woodwardjnr because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 03:25 PM
link   

If we live in a simulated enviroment...than to us...its our REALITY. To the point of it being pointless to discuss or live our lifes treating it as such, becuase it IS our reality...one we're hard pressed to change or do anything about except to LIVE day by day.
At least for the duration of our lifetime.

Frank Zappa said it best in part here:

“At the point where the illusion becomes too expensive to maintain, they will just take down the scenery, they will pull back the curtains, they will move the tables and chairs out of the way and you will see the brick wall at the back of the theater.”

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 03:29 PM
link   

Sure those are philosophical questions. However they are not anything new nor original.

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 03:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: midicon

Life is a testing place, kind of like when you're in school, you all go the gymn or auditorium to watch the movie, only now you beam in.

We all want to progress infinitely and perfect, Love, Skills, Understanding and all the Heroic Kind Loving traits and grow forever.

This one is a little hijacked however but have always known faith (not religious) in Highest Love and Goodness, And the Good Family/Team is always rewarded. We have a Great Team watching over.

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 04:02 PM
link   
I've had to read your op again. I'll admit I didn't really understand where you were coming from a reply to: LesMisanthrope

I probably still don't, but I think the reason it seems like a logical perspective for some is down to the fact we can now see the possibilities within our technologies that make the simulation theory an inevitability. If we are already making attempts at ancestor simulations. Not necessarily an antagonism with life.

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 04:12 PM
link   

I probably still don't, but I think the reason it seems like a logical perspective for some is down to the fact we can now see the possibilities within our technologies that make the simulation theory an inevitability. If we are already making attempts at ancestor simulations. Not necessarily an antagonism with life.

I understand. Of course we had the same sort of ideas when we started building watches, and it was stipulated that the universe was like a large watch with a watchmaker. Perhaps it is more a philosophy of technology rather than a philosophy of the universe.

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 04:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: LesMisanthrope

I understand. Of course we had the same sort of ideas when we started building watches, and it was stipulated that the universe was like a large watch with a watchmaker. Perhaps it is more a philosophy of technology rather than a philosophy of the universe.

I think things like the video game sims and virtual reality are much easier technologies for people to understand the concept and relate to a simulated universe than that of a watch.

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 04:29 PM
link   

I think things like the video game sims and virtual reality are much easier technologies for people to understand the concept and relate to a simulated universe than that of a watch.

Yes the mechanical philosophy of old, that is a universe created of mechanical principles, has since fell out of favour. But the simulation theory is really no different in its base form, namely, that the universe is created of computer-like (for lack of a better term) principles. The analogy has changed, but the base principles remain the same—a deterministic universe, a grand artificer and legislator of laws, etc.

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 08:24 PM
link   
I don't think you know this but, this is a total immersion game. You created the game, you crafted it into a total immersion game. So the games creator becomes the player who becomes a piece on the board, a character. There is a forgetting, to make the game more interesting and may advance when you start to find all this out, or you may not... so now what?

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 08:28 PM
link   

Math is the way to determine the "logic". 1+1 is always 2 and simply because it will never be 5 or anything else, shows that logic is not chaotic. Even though our universe derived from chaos. While I am a proponent to evolution, "logic" can not evolve. It just is. Therefore, one could conclude that "logic" came before the big bang and the chaos that ensued. And it is the logic in "math" which has or is consciousness.

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 08:39 PM
link   

So if we arent in a simulation then why are we finding computer code from the 40s in the fabric of the universe?

posted on Jan, 27 2015 @ 09:47 AM
link   
a reply to: FormOfTheLord

Show me a picture of this code in the fabric of the universe. You cannot, but nonetheless you accept every half-brained idea willingly. The code you speak of is found in the math, not in the universe.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join