It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The true identity of Jesus as the image of God

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+2 more 
posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 11:05 AM
link   

Colossians 1
15 The Son is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn over all creation.

The bible teaches us that Jesus is the "image" of God. If we compare this verse (which stands on its own) with that of something Jesus says, we get a little clearer picture on what Paul means by calling him the image.

John 8
12 When Jesus spoke again to the people, he said, "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life."

So taking both verses (which both stand on their own) together, we can assume that Jesus is an image of light that lights up the world. Jesus says that anyone who follows him will receive the light of life.

What are we created in?

Genesis 1
27 So God created mankind in his own image, in the image of God he created them; male and female he created them.

We are created in God's image. If Jesus is the image of God then we are technically created in Jesus, because we are created in God's image (Jesus).

Jesus also calls himself the bread of life.

1 Corinthians 10
17 Because there is one loaf, we, who are many, are one body, for we all share the one loaf.

According to Paul, we are all one loaf of bread, who is Jesus, the bread of life.

We are the loaf, we are Jesus, only in many bodies at once. The body is the church (congregation/many) or temple of God. Our bodies are the temple of God's Spirit.

1 Corinthians 6
19 Do you not know that your bodies are temples of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God? You are not your own;

The Spirit is within all of us, it is what gives us life and is what animates the body. You are what animates your body, you are life.

What you see right now, an image of light that lights the world, is what you are created in, it is the Son of God. We are Jesus because we are our image.

What is it that sees a mirror image of yourself? The invisible God who is within you, he is the Holy Spirit, the animating force that pervades everything in the universe, he is what we are the image of.

John 14
9 Jesus answered: "Don't you know me, Philip, even after I have been among you such a long time? Anyone who has seen me has seen the Father. How can you say, 'Show us the Father'?

Everyone who has seen the light has seen God, because God is light. I have seen and continue to see the light because I am the light, and so have you. You have seen the Father, you see him right now, you just have to realize it.

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 11:51 AM
link   
a reply to: 3NL1GHT3N3D1

This should be interesting... S&F

and a bump for you my friend...

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 12:19 PM
link   
I don't count myself a Christian, but I agree with you here. I have had this revelation. I don't need religion. Spot on.

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 12:29 PM
link   

Interesting...

I agree with interpreting this as God is light, and a Jesus is that same light.... We are made in God's image, I get that too.

But to say that we are Jesus doesn't sit right with me. We are to be His hands and feet... But to say we are literally Jesus? That conclusion doesn't sound right at all.

But I'm open to the idea that I'm just being closed minded.

Thanks for the thought provoking post!

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 12:35 PM
link   
I picture the light being the same as consciousness. Christ consciousness is what Jesus embodied and we are capable of the same greatness if we could only break free from the subconscious chains.

I'm not a Christian, but I think Jesus was the signpost pointing towards our potential as human beings.
edit on 26-1-2015 by jaws1975 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 12:42 PM
link   
a reply to: VegHead

John 14
20 On that day you will realize that I am in my Father, and you are in me, and I am in you.

Jesus says we are in him and he in us. This means we are one and the same.

John 17
20 “My prayer is not for them alone. I pray also for those who will believe in me through their message, 21 that all of them may be one, Father, just as you are in me and I am in you. May they also be in us so that the world may believe that you have sent me. 22 I have given them the glory that you gave me, that they may be one as we are one— 23 I in them and you in me—so that they may be brought to complete unity. Then the world will know that you sent me and have loved them even as you have loved me.

Jesus prayed that we may be one as he and his are Father are one. He said that he is in us and we are in him just as he is in his Father. We are all one, so yes we are Jesus, not the man but the concept of light and its image.
edit on 1/26/2015 by 3NL1GHT3N3D1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 01:38 PM
link   

The Spirit is within all of us, it is what gives us life and is what animates the body. You are what animates your body, you are life.

How does the spirit animate the body?

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 01:38 PM
link   
This is exactly what has been holding Christians back for centuries!!
GOD is not a physical being, but a force. One that is a part of all of us and everything.

Thank you OP for this. I believe this is how "God" is meant to be viewed.

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 01:44 PM
link   
a reply to: Aphorism

By thoughts and synapses in the brain of course. What controls those synapses? How is a complex procedure accomplished by a human? What governs the body to move in a certain way to accomplish a task? You are not only a body, you are also the one that sees and controls the body.

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 02:00 PM
link   

By thoughts and synapses in the brain of course. What controls those synapses? How is a complex procedure accomplished by a human? What governs the body to move in a certain way to accomplish a task? You are not only a body, you are also the one that sees and controls the body.

It sounds like you've fractured us into two. Where does the body end and the spirit begin?

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 02:09 PM
link   

You don't understand. There is no separation of the two, they are both working in unison, your body houses your Spirit and your Spirit animates the body and gives it experience. Is a leaf a branch or a branch a trunk or a trunk a leaf? No, but a tree is all of them. In the same way the Spirit is unique from the body but they are both still one and the same system working together. There is no separation therefore there is no beginning or end of either.

ETA: The best I can do to answer your question is that the body is what is seen, the Spirit is what is unseen. The unseen sees what is seen.

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 02:15 PM
link   

I don't think you understand. If there is no separation, no beginning and end, why call it two different things?

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 02:19 PM
link   

To explain the concept.

What is light? Both particle and wave. Two things being one creation, a ray of light.

Space and time are two different things, yet spacetime is created when both are present. Space reveals material form, time reveals the effect of time and the animation of the material. You cannot have one without the other.

Two things coming together and being one. We are that process, being both particle (body) and wave (Spirit).

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 02:22 PM
link   

To explain the system.

What is light? Both particle and wave. Two things being one creation, a particle of light.

Space and time are two different things, yet spacetime is created when both are present.

Two things coming together and being one. We are that process, being both particle (body) and wave (Spirit).

Light is light. One thing.

But we're talking about the spirit and the body. Let's speak about those instead of resorting to analogies like trees and leaves and spacetime.

Where does the body come together with the spirit?

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 02:24 PM
link   

A human is a human. A human is both body and Spirit just as light is both particle and wave. Where do the particle and wave come together in light? Within the light itself. Where does the body and Spirit come together? In the light that you see. If you are dead there is no light, meaning the Spirit has left the body.

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 02:37 PM
link   
A jewish version of the same concept. Jah is one.

Spirit is from my point of view energy infused in the body to create higher energized state attracted to the body. How much spirit energy a body can attract depends on the consciousness/awareness and even if we in the end have the same potential those who practice can do more than the ones who do not practice.

Souls can use the energy to help out other souls with laying of hands/reiki or other similar energy transferring tools.
edit on 26-1-2015 by LittleByLittle because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 04:04 PM
link   

Hmm. But He was manifested physically with real blood.

Yes, the Light, not light. THE Light, the WORD of God made flesh and dwelt among men.

Regardless of any gnostic leanings, the WORD was manifested flesh. As we are made in God's image, we aren't manifested WORD.

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 04:10 PM
link   
a reply to: WarminIndy

Look in the mirror, you are the Word (image) made flesh, you occupy a flesh body and are tethered to it for the time being. How does a piece of meat have life in it? It's the Spirit of God that works within the meat and within the brain.

Why was Zeus, the Father of gods and men, depicted with a lightning bolt? Because the lightning bolt represents the neural synapses firing in your brain. Electricity is what operates your brain and brings forth life. It is what brings forth the image and light of life, a.k.a. Jesus.

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 04:21 PM
link   

A human is a human. A human is both body and Spirit just as light is both particle and wave. Where do the particle and wave come together in light? Within the light itself. Where does the body and Spirit come together? In the light that you see. If you are dead there is no light, meaning the Spirit has left the body.

Light behaves like both waves and particles. That doesn’t mean it is both waves and particles. It only means that neither of these concepts can accurately describe light. If we are to follow your analogy, neither spirit and body cannot accurately describe a human. However, when we look at a human we do not see spirit nature or spirit behaviour, so we might as well continue with the concept of body.

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 04:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: 3NL1GHT3N3D1
a reply to: WarminIndy

Look in the mirror, you are the Word (image) made flesh, you occupy a flesh body and are tethered to it for the time being. How does a piece of meat have life in it? It's the Spirit of God that works within the meat and within the brain.

Why was Zeus, the Father of gods and men, depicted with a lightning bolt? Because the lightning bolt represents the neural synapses firing in your brain. Electricity is what operates your brain and brings forth life. It is what brings forth the image and light of life, a.k.a. Jesus.

No, I am not the WORD made flesh. The WORD is word, not an idea, not a concept, actual words that carried energy.

And God SAID "let there be light and there was light and God saw the light, that it was good". So the physical world came into being, but not man. If man were that Light, there would have been no need for Jesus, because man would have been divine since the beginning. But as man is not divine, then the Divine became man.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join