It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Kurdish forces liberate Kobani after defeating ISIS

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 09:49 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

It appears that powers such as the USA do not want to upset Turkey in acknowledging a sovereign Kurdish state. I personally think it is ridiculous. A strong friendship with Kurdistan, forged through friendship and blood, would be much more beneficial and welcoming than the existing 'friendship' with Turkey. Turkey is a repressive state ruled by conservative Muslims who are, according to convincing evidence, aiding ISIS in its campaigns.

The Kurds have been screwed over far too many times. If their respective regions are able to secede from their existing states and federate, i would be very much welcoming of an independent Kurdistan. Here's to a free Kurdistan!

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 09:52 PM
link   
a reply to: Freeborn

I absolutely agree. We should keep on hitting them until they are no more. I have no doubt that IS is active in Saudi Arabia...Hopefully the monarchy is able to keep the lid on tight.

What is worrying for now though, is IS' expansions into Libya, Egypt, Pakistan and Afghanistan. While their activity in the latter three are negligible thus far, they do actually hold some territory in Libya...We have to be careful to not let them expand in other areas while we smash them in Iraq and Syria.

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 10:10 PM
link   
a reply to: daaskapital

I agree, we have to continue hitting them hard.

But I fear that they will increase their influence in country's around the Middle East faster than we can defeat them.....unless of course we take the gloves off.....and what would be the reaction to that?

I have come to the conclusion that sooner or later there will be a major confrontation.

If we wait until IS gains even greater support within the Sunni world - or possibly even within the Shia community as well - then the task may be prove to be long and very bloody indeed.

Greater intervention now would be unpopular domestically and may simply serve to feed the fire.

There are no easy solutions - I'm pleased I don't have to make the calls.

posted on Jan, 27 2015 @ 12:10 AM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

The biggest mistake the world could make would be to try to take away what the Kurds are earning with their blood right now.

I hope you are right . The Kurdish fighters did not turn around and run like many before them . Sure the airstrikes have helped but only timeline wise not the end result i think . Iraq and Syria are in no position to deny anyone anything but Iran and Turkey are a different matter . However that being said they have been living there for centuries and haven't been kicked out yet . I don't see them coming out of this with their own country , but perhaps a no go zone around the areas they inhabit now . I hope i am wrong , when the dust settles we will see if their fight against Isis is quickly forgotten .

top topics

<< 1   >>

join