It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Should you be required to read the bible at least once to call yourself a Christian?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 04:05 PM
link   
a reply to: Benevolent Heretic

If more Christians actually read the bible, they'd likely become atheists.

Arbitrary conjecture.

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 04:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: Entreri06

originally posted by: Tangerine

originally posted by: FlyersFan

It blows my Mind that you can have a major religion that counts over a billion people as it's flock and yet less the one percent have actually read the sole book it's based on.

That's a B.S. statistic. Absurd.

Christianity has 2 billion people. One billion are Catholics. Catholics read the bible. And the there are three bible readings at Sunday Mass, as well as two bible readings at weekday mass .... continually. There is an indulgence granted for 1/2 hour of bible reading each day. I know conservative Catholics take advantage of this.

Christianity has 1 billion protestants. There are hundreds of millions of protestants who are evangelical/fundamentalist. They read the bible. Episcopalians and Lutherans have bible readings in their services and the Lutherans I know have bibles in their home and can quote it.

So your stat is poppycock. I suggest you get your information from a different source. The one you used is phooooey.

You're claiming that 2 billion Christians have read the entire Bible? The argument is that they haven't read the ENTIRE Bible. They read excerpts. I know many Christians and only a couple have read the entire Bible.

Aww come on it's way easier to attack some ones grammer then to debate a topic... It's the Christian thing to do. :p

I wasn't attacking the poster's grammar (note the spelling and see a dictionary for a definition). Also, someone's is spelled like that.

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 04:50 PM
link   

It blows my Mind that you can have a major religion that counts over a billion people as it's flock and yet less the one percent have actually read the sole book it's based on.

Christianity has 2 billion people. One billion are Catholics. Catholics read the bible. And the there are three bible readings at Sunday Mass, as well as two bible readings at weekday mass .... continually. There is an indulgence granted for 1/2 hour of bible reading each day. I know conservative Catholics take advantage of this.

Christianity has 1 billion protestants. There are hundreds of millions of protestants who are evangelical/fundamentalist. They read the bible. Episcopalians and Lutherans have bible readings in their services and the Lutherans I know have bibles in their home and can quote it.

So your stat is poppycock. I suggest you get your information from a different source. The one you used is phooooey.

You're claiming that 2 billion Christians have read the entire Bible? The argument is that they haven't read the ENTIRE Bible. They read excerpts. I know many Christians and only a couple have read the entire Bible.

Aww come on it's way easier to attack some ones grammer then to debate a topic... It's the Christian thing to do. :p

I wasn't attacking the poster's grammar (note the spelling and see a dictionary for a definition). Also, someone's is spelled like that.

I didn't mean there were exactly 1 billion Christians nor that only exactly 1 percent had read it cover to cover.... It was just an example. The link I posted had stats that were far worse...
You still haven't addressed the actual topic yet ( I'm way to lazy to check the beginning if the thread, so my bad if I missed it)

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 08:19 PM
link   
I doubt it would make any difference honestly. If you are required to read the bible to be Christian then Christians would simply speed read it without actually reading it, if that makes sense.

They'd still hold the same beliefs as before reading it either way, at least the majority of the time they would. Maybe I'm wrong though.

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 09:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: 3NL1GHT3N3D1
I doubt it would make any difference honestly. If you are required to read the bible to be Christian then Christians would simply speed read it without actually reading it, if that makes sense.

They'd still hold the same beliefs as before reading it either way, at least the majority of the time they would. Maybe I'm wrong though.

Excellent point!!

Does anyone know how it works in the Jewish/Muslim worlds??

Jews are required to read the Torah , right?

Do they "speed read" it or really learn most if it?

posted on Jan, 27 2015 @ 01:36 AM
link   

Uh, that's not true. My uncle's a theologian as well as the most prolific non-denominational pastor in his area... O.o

a reply to: Entreri06

doesn't matter. I guess those that really get into it are better Christians than I. Idc being Christian also means NOT JUDGING OTHERS. So yeah. And I guess those that get into it are more devout like the Jews with the Torah. I'm part Jewish, btw--I'm A negative. Anyway, the bible doesn't demand believers to read the whole thing--and most of the ones that do do so because they don't believe. It makes sense that you'd dig further if you doubted.

But so will a person who loves the lord dig futher, too, I'd wager.

It is all based on perspective because it is. You either have faith or you don't.

If you don't believe or have faith it isn't like the bible's gonna freakin make you or anything lol no, man that stuff comes from inside. Cliche as that sounds.
edit on 27-1-2015 by rukia because: (no reason given)

How come people who do Ayah(bleep) in south america report feeling a oneness or having contact with a creator? How come die-hard aetheist scientists who go into quantum physics come out born-again christians?

And also, idc about what u think of the old testament--yeah i think the jews were a bit hard on the pagans, too. But then God had a change of heart and lived a human life in Jesus and then decided to make it super easy to go to heaven--and he helped all of the people who hadn't gone to heaven beforehand. Dude that's pretty freaking legit. Don't hate. Jesus was the coolest dude ever. The things Jesus said are echoed in other peaceful 'WAYS' of living/religions. Haters gonna hate.

I've read parts of the bible, torah, baghavad gita, satans bible, book of the dead, & koran.

I've always been a 'Christian'. And always will be so

posted on Jan, 27 2015 @ 01:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: DISRAELI
As I observed, the "basic message" is simple and easily grasped.
If someone can absorb the message from reading a single verse and hearing it explained, like the Ethiopian eunuch, why make it a requirement to read everything else?

I can just imagine you as a car salesman;
Customer; I want to buy that super de-luxe Cadillac-Rolls-Royce. I saw one speeding down the street and fell in love at first sight.
Enterri06; I'm sorry, sir, you can't be allowed to buy that car until you've seen and heard every advertisement that company has ever produced.

That presumes that Christians only repeat that "basic message" and only proselytize that "basic message" and that is almost never the case.

posted on Jan, 27 2015 @ 01:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: 3NL1GHT3N3D1

Think of all the time they'd have to spend even speed reading it. That's time they wouldn't be bothering others.

posted on Jan, 27 2015 @ 01:59 AM
link   

I didn't mean there were exactly 1 billion Christians nor that only exactly 1 percent had read it cover to cover.... It was just an example. The link I posted had stats that were far worse...
You still haven't addressed the actual topic yet ( I'm way to lazy to check the beginning if the thread, so my bad if I missed it)

I'm aware that you didn't mean it literally. My point is that, when convenient, many Christians claim there are 3 billion Christians. Very often, they claim only those who believe exactly as they do and act exactly as they do are "real Christians". That would certainly reduce the 3 billion (or whatever) to a very small number. I'd like to know what it is so I can remind them that Christianity is not so popular after all.

posted on Jan, 27 2015 @ 02:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: rukia

Uh, that's not true. My uncle's a theologian as well as the most prolific non-denominational pastor in his area... O.o

doesn't matter. I guess those that really get into it are better Christians than I. Idc being Christian also means NOT JUDGING OTHERS. So yeah. And I guess those that get into it are more devout like the Jews with the Torah. I'm part Jewish, btw--I'm A negative. Anyway, the bible doesn't demand believers to read the whole thing--and most of the ones that do do so because they don't believe. It makes sense that you'd dig further if you doubted.

But so will a person who loves the lord dig futher, too, I'd wager.

It is all based on perspective because it is. You either have faith or you don't.

If you don't believe or have faith it isn't like the bible's gonna freakin make you or anything lol no, man that stuff comes from inside. Cliche as that sounds.

How come people who do Ayah(bleep) in south america report feeling a oneness or having contact with a creator? How come die-hard aetheist scientists who go into quantum physics come out born-again christians?

And also, idc about what u think of the old testament--yeah i think the jews were a bit hard on the pagans, too. But then God had a change of heart and lived a human life in Jesus and then decided to make it super easy to go to heaven--and he helped all of the people who hadn't gone to heaven beforehand. Dude that's pretty freaking legit. Don't hate. Jesus was the coolest dude ever. The things Jesus said are echoed in other peaceful 'WAYS' of living/religions. Haters gonna hate.

I've read parts of the bible, torah, baghavad gita, satans bible, book of the dead, & koran.

I've always been a 'Christian'. And always will be so

There might be one guy who went into quantum physics who later became born again, but if so it's only one. There are literally no cases where science or archeology made some one believe in Christianity. Now people have had a spiritual experience outside of there lab and devoted there careers to proving Christianity, but not the other way.

All the "big wigs" in quantum physics are atheists/agnostics. The vibe I got from your post makes me think your not a liar, just misinformed. 85% of all still living Nobel prize winners in math and science are athiest. There's the nurosurgeon who thinks our brains use quantum computing, but he's not a Christian, he's agnostic.

Literally no one who is a leader in any scientific field is a Christian. There are a lot of psuedo science yahoos associated with the creationist crowd, but no respectable scientists do. Or if they do none have used science to prove it.

posted on Jan, 27 2015 @ 02:57 PM
link   

"Big Wig Athiest"

That sums up the religion of science perfectly.

posted on Jan, 27 2015 @ 03:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: deadeyedick

"Big Wig Athiest"

That sums up the religion of science perfectly.

Science is a collection of facts not a religion... Obviously...

posted on Jan, 27 2015 @ 03:44 PM
link   

A fact is just a majorly accepted theory based on faith.

Science has been responsible for the majority of all war and death through the creation of weapons and technology. (knowledge)

It is the system used by the snake in the garden to subdue you.

posted on Jan, 29 2015 @ 01:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: deadeyedick

Science has been responsible for the majority of all war and death through the creation of weapons and technology. (knowledge)

It is the system used by the snake in the garden to subdue you.

Science is also responsible for every medical advance, freedom of information (something religion has always been against, the fact we live longer then 60 years, television, travel, communication exc exc exc.... Because of the incredible rise in population science has now increased more life then it EVER ended.

Now religion on the other hand is almost only lead to death and hate.... No tech advance ment. No spiritual advancement that's measurable...basically it's only held back humanity.

Oh and most of those deaths caused by scientific weapons were aimed by a religion. Science made the sword, but a pope ordered men to use it.

Your post really is laughable.... We don't have faith the earth revolves around the sun.... It's a fact....

posted on Jan, 29 2015 @ 06:13 PM
link   
a reply to: deadeyedick

True, the history books are littered with facts of science that were completely foolish ideas.

Science is also responsible for every medical advance, freedom of information.. the fact we live longer then 60 years, television, travel, communication exc exc exc.... Because of the incredible rise in population science has now increased more life then it EVER ended.

This is also true.

(something religion has always been against,

The Roman Catholic church maybe. Not "religion" in general. Hell the RCC didn't want any common language Bibles to be translated and murdered people who did it. And likewise forbid people from reading the Word on their own.

edit on 29-1-2015 by NOTurTypical because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 02:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: NOTurTypical
a reply to: deadeyedick

True, the history books are littered with facts of science that were completely foolish ideas.

Science is also responsible for every medical advance, freedom of information.. the fact we live longer then 60 years, television, travel, communication exc exc exc.... Because of the incredible rise in population science has now increased more life then it EVER ended.

This is also true.

(something religion has always been against,

The Roman Catholic church maybe. Not "religion" in general. Hell the RCC didn't want any common language Bibles to be translated and murdered people who did it. And likewise forbid people from reading the Word on their own.

So what religion does back up science and advancement? Maybe agnostics, but I don't think that's a religion any more then atheism. Atheism thinks there is no proof of a god. Agnostics think there probubally is something godlike out there but have no idea what. Neither have tenants or rules or even specific beliefs.

Hell, if Christ shows up on CNN, walking on water and making booze. Every agnostic and atheist will convert instantly.

But you get the opposite reaction from religions. Christianity didn't change 7 day creation after the evolution or the Big Bang was confirmed. They pretended there was a conspiracy to discredit Jesus....

posted on Jan, 31 2015 @ 12:12 PM
link   

Hell, if Christ shows up on CNN, walking on water and making booze. Every agnostic and atheist will convert instantly.

That's not true. The Pharisees saw all that in the first century and they said He was doing the miracles by the power of satan. Judas saw Him do all those things and traded His life for 30 pieces of silver. Even today people would say it's trick photography or CGI.

Christianity didn't change 7 day creation after the evolution or the Big Bang was confirmed.

Christianity rejects abiogenesis, which has never been "confirmed", and I'm a massive fan of Physics and the Big Bang has not been confirmed either. The current model requires anti gravity forces that have never been observed, only theorized.

edit on 31-1-2015 by NOTurTypical because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 31 2015 @ 02:18 PM
link   

Yes, or at least the gospels... one gospel whether Matthew, Mark, Luke, or John?

Ok, at least Jesus's teachings which he gave at The Sermon on The Mount.

If you don't care to practice love thy neighbour and enemy, forgive and turn the other cheek, then you are only a Christian who says "Lord, Lord" but do not what he say; just as He predicted.

posted on Jan, 31 2015 @ 02:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: NOTurTypical

That's not true. The Pharisees saw all that in the first century and they said He was doing the miracles by the power of satan. Judas saw Him do all those things and traded His life for 30 pieces of silver. Even today people would say it's trick photography or CGI.

Christianity didn't change 7 day creation after the evolution or the Big Bang was confirmed.

Christianity rejects abiogenesis, which has never been "confirmed", and I'm a massive fan of Physics and the Big Bang has not been confirmed either. The current model requires anti gravity forces that have never been observed, only theorized.

Gravity waves, the red shift effect, expansion. More then one prediction of inflation/Big Bang has been confirmed and broad strokes of the Big Bang have been confirmed..... There is no question the universe started at a single point and has constantly expanded since I've the last 15ish billion years. So I'm not sure what you mean by that.

No abiogenesis hasn't been confirmed, but evolution has and Christianity rejects both. Abiogenesis isn't even a theory it's a hypothesis.

But here's the important part.... None of Christianity matches up with ANYTHING science has confirmed. There was no global flood that killed all but one family 10,000 years ago. 7 day creation is TOTAL garbage. There was no sodom and gahmora, they were never called that. I could go on and on.

But like with abiogenesis science is more then happy to admit they don't know some things.... Christianity claims to know it all, because you know... God did it.

posted on Jan, 31 2015 @ 05:00 PM
link   

Was the last time you checked into astrophysics in the 1970s? Even Hubble himself didn't exactly believe red shift theory to be correct, and has since been refuted. The current guess for the beginning of the universe is called the "Lamba-Cold dark matter" concordance model and it requires energy forces that have NEVER been observed to exist!!! lmao

Absolutely nothing "confirmed" by science as you claimed.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join