It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Second icebreaker sought for Great Lakes shipping, baby it's cold outside!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 25 2015 @ 09:25 PM
link   
Cold weather and lots of ice are in the forecast this winter and it's already causing problems. The shippers ask for a second icebreaker and the local economy is taking a major hit.
Maybe this is a sign about the coming winter. This and the blizzard the east coast is expecting.

GREEN BAY – A brutal winter that slowed the start of the 2014 shipping season on the Great Lakes has one organization asking Congress for another heavy icebreaker.
www.postcrescent.com...

Economic impact link...
www.marinelink.com...

Here is a nice link about the ice on the lakes.
www.washingtonpost.com...

edit on 25-1-2015 by Hoosierdaddy71 because: Added link

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 12:02 AM
link   
I don't understand how the start of the 2014 shipping season has anything to do with January 2015. This should be the 2015 shipping season after the new year. Possible typo from the writer of the article

I think Superior is shut down already, they shut down shipping for a couple of months. It's too icy up here to make a profit with shipping for a few months. The mine does send some iron by rail to Escanaba where it catches a ship to it's destination. The article was from Green Bay, so I suppose they need breakers down there on Lake Michigan.
edit on 26-1-2015 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 04:04 AM
link   
The problem with ice breakers on the lakes. They have to be built on the lakes. Ice breakers have to pass through the locks at SAULT STE. MARIE, MICHIGAN. If they can not then they can not break ice on the lakes. The locks are narrow. Any breaker built elsewhere has to be able to squeeze through those locks. Most breakers have to wide a beam to fit.

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 10:51 AM
link   
We have had 2 Coast Guard breakers this week going back and forth up and down the Detroit River.

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 11:25 AM
link   
Last I heard from local mets, Lake Michigan's ice cover was around 20%. According to NOAA's page for the Great Lakes, that's still about where it's at.

Also, here's the MODIS satellite imagery page. Just for kicks

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 12:43 PM
link   
a reply to: Ceeker63

The locks close for the winter too, usually sometimes in January till sometimes in March if I remember right. A good friend of mine was a first engineer on the ships so I know a little about their times off.

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 02:59 PM
link   
If its that bad why dont they do what they do in the North and use truckers to drive
over the ice to deliver goods?
Sounds a lot cheaper than getting a 2nd ice breaker.

new topics

top topics

join