It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Millions of GMO Insects Could Be Set Loose in the Florida Keys

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 25 2015 @ 06:14 PM
link   
GMS Mosquitos? What?Yep, you heard right, ATS. A British Biotech firm known as Oxitec, is planning to use GMO mosquitos to invade the population(s) of disease and virus spreading mosquitos to combat the eminent rise of Dengea and Chikunguya in the US.

"This is essentially using a mosquito as a drug to cure disease," said Michael Doyle, executive director of the Florida Keys Mosquito Control District, which is waiting to hear if the Food and Drug Administration will allow the experiment.

Dengue and chikungunya are growing threats in the U.S., but some people are more frightened at the thought of being bitten by a genetically modified organism. More than 130,000 signed a Change.org petition against the experiment.

Even potential boosters say those responsible must do more to show that benefits outweigh the risks.

Apparently, the females are the only mosquitoes of type that bite and transmit the virus(es), however, Oxitec only plans to implement male GMO mosquitos who will breed with the infected female(s); yielding offspring who will die off and reduce the infested mosquito population. Some are sounding the alarm however and I think I will too. I mean, we've seen what GMO has done to our food(s), now GMO mosquitoes? What's next GMO pets? What says ATS?

news.yahoo.com...

posted on Jan, 25 2015 @ 06:21 PM
link   
Freaking GMO herpes Mosquitos now?

I'm outa this state

f.keys herpsquitos
edit on 1 by Mandroid7 because: Link added

posted on Jan, 25 2015 @ 06:45 PM
link   
a reply to: lostbook

Introducing any biological control agent into an an area is risky at best . More so if is genetically modified . Australia introduced cane toads in 1935 to combat cane Beatles and look how well that turned out for us .

posted on Jan, 25 2015 @ 06:53 PM
link   
I'd be equally worried with the repercussions to the food chain...like the effects of the animal whom eats this tasty treat..ie fish and animal whom eats the fish ie humans.

I hope they research that Before releasing the diseased critters.

posted on Jan, 25 2015 @ 07:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: Mandroid7
Freaking GMO herpes Mosquitos now?

I'm outa this state

f.keys herpsquitos

Yeah, freakin vaginosis giving mosquitos man, VD too and freakin AIDS is right around the corner. Florida's just one big swamp anyway.

posted on Jan, 25 2015 @ 07:07 PM
link   
This sounds sketchy, many problems could arise from this. Then we will be getting bitten by GMO virus spreading mosquitoes, which sounds even worse. Not to mention what will this do to their species. Mosquitoes, although they are annoying, help to maintain a balanced ecosystem.

posted on Jan, 25 2015 @ 07:10 PM
link   
So when people start dropping THIS little tidbit will be a conspiracy story...
SIGH, sad really.

posted on Jan, 25 2015 @ 07:12 PM
link   
As if we haven't learned lessons.

We've royally screwed the pooch in almost all cases whenever an undesirable element of nature was attempted to be dealt with by introducing a so called "fix".

Rats in Guam? Hell, bring in brown tree snakes. Yepp.

Hey, let's genetically alter them! NOTHING bad could happen.

Snakes, mosquitoes. No diff. Go ahead. I've got popcorn.

-NF

posted on Jan, 25 2015 @ 07:14 PM
link   
Yeah because these diseases are rampant in FL. Growing threats like ebola? Methinks there is another agenda here.

Yeah mess with nature when it's already in a precarious state. What could possibly go wrong?

Bright side: At least they're not nano-mosquitos. Seriously though, I hope they stop this and just let nature take its course.

Why don't these companies go and work on something that would actually be beneficial to the whole planet?
edit on 1/25/2015 by ~Lucidity because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2015 @ 07:16 PM
link   
Very very few biological control experiments worked out well in the long run. Most wound up with severe infestations of plant/animal/insect. There are a few that worked well, so it isn't impossible, but with the majority being failures, I certainly wouldn't risk it with a creature like mosquitoes.

This one has a high risk of failure from the beginning. All it takes is a couple of mutations where a couple of offspring don't die as intended and suddenly you are spreading around some new and exciting mosquito species as if there weren't enough.

posted on Jan, 25 2015 @ 07:22 PM
link   
Holy #, this will not end well. The virus will obviously evolve. GMO mosquitoes can breed with non-GMO mosquito caring the virus. How idiotic is the British today.

posted on Jan, 25 2015 @ 07:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: lostbook

Dengue and chikungunya are growing threats in the U.S., but some people are more frightened at the thought of being bitten by a genetically modified organism.

Wouldn't the more permanent solution be to round up the disease-addled, hygiene-illiterate illegals and see them to the door?

Thankfully the illegals don't have polio and aren't spreading it via mosquitoes....

search results

posted on Jan, 25 2015 @ 07:34 PM
link   
The article says that they have tried this in a few other places already and it has reduced the mosquitoe populations in those places by %96.

Company spokeswoman Chris Creese said the test will be similar in size to Oxitec's 2012 experiment in the Cayman Islands, where 3.3 million modified mosquitoes were released over six months, suppressing 96 percent of the targeted bugs. Oxitec says a later test in Brazil also was successful, and both countries now want larger-scale projects.
... Creese says Oxitec has now released 70 million of its mosquitoes in several countries and received no reports of human impacts caused by bites or from the synthetic DNA, despite regulatory oversight that encourages people to report any problems. "We are confident of the safety of our mosquito, as there's no mechanism for any adverse effect on human health. The proteins are non-toxic and non-allergenic," she said.

This part seems a bit creepy:

They patented a method of breeding Aedes aegypti with fragments of proteins from the herpes simplex virus and E. coli bacteria as well as genes from coral and cabbage. This synthetic DNA has been used in thousands of experiments without harming lab animals, but it is fatal to the bugs, killing mosquito larvae before they can fly or bite.

It seems to be working in other places without any adverse effects so far so why not do it in florida?

It seems that the life span of this particular species of mosquitoe is 2-4 weeks so I`m assuming that even the GMO mosquitoes will be dead in a month.That might be important because 1 month or less might not be long enough for the virus to mutate and become immune.I don`t know how fast a virus can mutate.

Life Cycle of Aedes aegypti
Aedes aegypti is a so-called holometabolous insect. This means that the insects goes through a complete metamorphosis with an egg, larvae, pupae, and adult stage. The adult life span can range from two weeks to a month depending on environmental conditions. The life cycle of Aedes aegypti can be completed within one-and-a-half to three weeks.

ETA: actually it would be much less than a month because the off spring don`t live long enough to become adult mosquitoes so when the infected GMO larva die the virus will die. The GMO larva never become adults so there`s no danger of breeding GMO mosquitoes.
It sounds pretty safe to me, I would let them release some of those GMO mosquitoes in my yard.

www.denguevirusnet.com...
edit on 25-1-2015 by Tardacus because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2015 @ 07:37 PM
link   
a reply to: Tardacus

according to them...

posted on Jan, 25 2015 @ 09:34 PM
link   
Scientists are supposed to be so smart so why can't they see that this is a stupid idea. This is a plot-line in many horror movies; wouldn't it be funny..........? Not!

posted on Jan, 25 2015 @ 09:50 PM
link   

This was posted already long ago

Yeah I think there's no where to run anymore D:

GMO's are everywhere! One can only imagine how bad things can end up

posted on Jan, 25 2015 @ 09:52 PM
link   
Great.....and I just moved here too..(.sigh)

posted on Jan, 25 2015 @ 10:14 PM
link   
a reply to: Meldionne1

LOL... maybe we can finance some squito nets with a new business...

...or Herpcoliquitos...by the time your done pronouncing this, you've been bitten 5 times

edit on 1 by Mandroid7 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 04:29 AM
link   

So what will US citizens do about it ?

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 04:56 AM
link   
a reply to: Tardacus

It sounds pretty safe to me, I would let them release some of those GMO mosquitoes in my yard.

Great idea ......we look i forward to your observations ....if you don't mind a few videos would be great as well

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join