It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. East Coast braces for 'historic' blizzard on Monday

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 25 2015 @ 06:26 PM
link   
Think about the Nomads that had to trudge that # during the Ice Age.
I don't feel sorry for anybody complaining.
This is our planet. make yourself at home.

posted on Jan, 25 2015 @ 06:27 PM
link   
a reply to: hillbilly4rent

a reply to: Kali74
Those are crazy winds. The drifts are going to be insane. Stay safe, Kali.
edit on 1/25/2015 by ~Lucidity because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2015 @ 06:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: skunkape23

True but we ain't nomads. Shoot we get ready to riot if Netflix is down or if the cable is down. I took my adventure in stride I can handle cold but I be dang if I can handle hot weather Iraq nearly killed me and I don't mean the insergent.

posted on Jan, 25 2015 @ 06:43 PM
link   

Looks like I'm in for some ice

posted on Jan, 25 2015 @ 06:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: hillbilly4rent

originally posted by: skunkape23

True but we ain't nomads. Shoot we get ready to riot if Netflix is down or if the cable is down. I took my adventure in stride I can handle cold but I be dang if I can handle hot weather Iraq nearly killed me and I don't mean the insergent.

It is easier to bundle up against the cold. Heat is a bitch. Grow your hair long.
It's warm in winter, in summer you can wet it to keep cool.

posted on Jan, 25 2015 @ 06:58 PM
link   
a reply to: ~Lucidity

Thanks, I'll try. I'm pretty sure my work will close but can't bet on it. I'll be down a day's pay because of it but I have a 2hour commute both ways so... might be worth a days pay to not be out in that lol.

posted on Jan, 25 2015 @ 07:10 PM
link   
a reply to: Kali74
Yeah it would probably take you longer to get to and from work than you'd be at work. Not worth it. Losing money does suck though.

posted on Jan, 25 2015 @ 07:13 PM
link   
I read in the news that this blizzard could reach hurricane strength. I'm not in the danger zone so I'm gonna have to wish you all good luck and don't go drivin'!

posted on Jan, 25 2015 @ 07:21 PM
link   
So long as De Blasio doesn't find a way to insult the snow plow drivers ...

Seriously, strap in and buckle down. This ride could get bumpy. Shades of the great blizzard.

posted on Jan, 25 2015 @ 07:31 PM
link   
I'm in Rhode Island. Got my groceries. I'm good to go.

posted on Jan, 25 2015 @ 07:32 PM
link   
a reply to: ~Lucidity

Meh.

I live in Wisconsin. We get these types of snowfalls at least once every winter, along with bone chilling cold.

Bundle up and hunker down. It is winter after all.

posted on Jan, 25 2015 @ 07:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kali74
It's gonna be 18-30 inches here in Boston. It's not fear mongering to say that it's going to be a bad storm, the winds are the bigger factor than the snow... I'm not sure about NYC totals for most amount dumped in a single storm but this is probably pretty close, we've had higher in Boston doesn't mean this isn't something to brace and prep for. Jeeze guys go easy on the people who's job it is to warn... This is how it's always been.

Thanks Kali for that. It's gotten ridiculous around here hasn't it? When someone says prepare for a "blizzard", all of a sudden they are fear mongering when it's actually....a blizzard!

I don't see where anyone said it was going to be the end of the world, they just said it could be the worst storm ever. The OP showed the stat that the record snowfall for NYC was just over 2 feet, so if they get 3 feet, I guess that sets a record, right?

The average snowfall for the entire season for NYC is 25 inches (just over 2 feet) and for Boston it's 44 inches. So, either way, a storm of this size is potentially a record-breaker or a "worst storm ever," but that's not saying it's the end of the world, so relax folks and allow ATS members to continue reporting the news without the harassment.

posted on Jan, 25 2015 @ 08:00 PM
link   
After a horrid, slow start to this winter... it's about damned time! Our last 20"+ snowfall here in NYC was January 26-27, 2011 so we are due for a big one. Hope everyone in the NE stays safe! I'll be watching this baby unfold on satellite/radar.

posted on Jan, 25 2015 @ 08:06 PM
link   
I'm from Brazil and we don't have snow here in Sao Paulo, but it doesn't sound like the snow itself that's gonna cause trouble? If the winds are almost as strong as a hurricane, that IS dangerous and the people deserve to be warned about it.

Stay safe, everyone!

posted on Jan, 25 2015 @ 08:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: ~Lucidity
It's winter, but...a monster storm is coming.

And, as we now name winter storms, this one, a Nor’easter, is named Iola.

Big City Blizzards: Will This Storm (Iola) Be One?

A monster snowstorm is expected to slam into the Northeast on Monday and Tuesday, dumping what could be up to 3 feet of snow in Boston and New York, along with freezing rain and strong gusts possibly reaching hurricane level. The storm is expected to hit northern New Jersey through southern Connecticut and freeze Rhode Island and parts of Massachusetts.

By 5 p.m. ET Sunday, storm warnings had stretched to the Canadian border.

"This could be a storm the likes of which we've never seen before," said New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio. [CNN]

Honestly? Having grown up up there? I remember 2-3 foot snowfalls to or three times a year. Maybe that was a different timeline.

Stay safe, everyone up there!

NYC mayor on coming storm: 'The likes of which we've never seen'

ETA: Okay, so I was little and the snow just seemed higher!

The biggest snowfall on record in New York City was the storm of Feb. 11-12, 2006, that dropped 26.9 inches (68 cm), according to the city's Office of Emergency Management.

Also changed the title to remove politics!

Thanks for the post

I was driving back to NYC from PA tonight (sunday) at about 8 pm and my family starts texting me all worried about a freak snow storm coming.

Besides candles, food, water, etc, what else can one do to prepare?

And, I tend to be with you that it is probably way overblown.

posted on Jan, 25 2015 @ 08:24 PM
link   
This is what I told my family.

I was in NYC last year, and am here now.

Last year it started snowing around Halloween and basically did not stop until March or April. It was epic and harsh. So I'm not that impressed by the warnings.

posted on Jan, 25 2015 @ 08:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: Irishhaf
Don't get me wrong I wish them the best, and I freely admit to having no clue how to deal with snow in a city like that.

I've lived my entire life in the country, living somewhere like new York city would be similar to prison time for me.

Instead of fear mongering he needs to pre-position whatever extra assets he needs to deal with the situation. Have the national Guard prepare if it's going to be that bad.

Advise people on what to stock up on (before the storm is this close) help people help themselves, that said I still say he is a clown.

(note; I am stuck on my phone with 2G signal I can't dig to deeply, if he has done any of the above I apologize)

He has; he has put all relevant city and service staff on extended 12 hour shifts around the clock.

posted on Jan, 25 2015 @ 08:28 PM
link   
I am in the main target area here in Massachusetts. Am I going crazy over it? Ahhh...no. Lived in this area and around Boston for 50 yrs. It's winter, we get snow. Will I think it'll be the "worst storm ever", not by a long shot. Blizzard of '78 was the worst I ever lived through. The main highway around Boston (rte 128/95) was filled with abandoned cars, buried to the doors in snow. We were snowbound for about a week in the house. Much of that time without power, heat was a wood stove, light was candles or battery operated lanterns. Listening to the reports on the radio, while playing cards and board games.

Blizzard of 78

This blizzard will last one day, we'll be back to work and on the road Wednesday, Thursday if the state drags their feet in order to get more $$ from the Feds.

edit on 1/25/2015 by Krakatoa because: Fixed spelling and other fat-finger errors

posted on Jan, 25 2015 @ 08:32 PM
link   
Fellow NYC resident aye?

Yeah, we have been blessed with a mild fall and early winter. But I knew it was going to hit at some point. Last winter was epic.

posted on Jan, 25 2015 @ 08:37 PM
link   
Who cares three feet is nothing here in PA we drive in that.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join