It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Smoking Bans - Where will it end?

page: 37
<< 34  35  36    38  39  40 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 10:30 AM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

I'm sorry but I didn't choose the word "ban" it was chosen by someone else!
and they aren't in place to protect asthmatics!

The primary purpose of smokefree laws and policies is to protect nonsmokers from secondhand smoke.1 However, smokefree laws can also motivate and help tobacco users quit and prevent initiation of tobacco use. Studies have shown that the implementation of smokefree laws and policies can increase cessation and reduce smoking prevalence among workers and the general population1-6 and may also reduce smoking initiation among youth.

www.cdc.gov...

The word asthma doesn't occur once on that page, but the word "ban" does!!

so it's to protect nonsmokers from second hand smoke with the added benefit of convincing people to quit. At least that's what CDC says!!

okay let's see the chart that ranks the dangers of second hand smoke compared to all those other things out there that have basically the same offending chemicals in them!! Cigarettes have arsenic in them!! Arsenic is bad so let's ban it!! okay, but there's a mild problem ya see, the arsenic is in the soil where it has been since they sprayed the crops pesticides that contains arsenic! As a result it's not only the tobacco that contains arsenic but it's also in food that is grown in soil that was sprayed!
air fresheners, perfumes, detergents and cleaners also have many of the same offending chemicals as cigarettes do. and it's also a choice as to weather you use them or not.
flourmaldahyde??? blankets and quilts, new homes, pressed woods.

and we won't even talk about those workplaces that dear coumo or was it pataki said he would never allow anything as harmful as cigarettes in!! ya know that lovely place that had birds dropping dead into our screens!!

is there a chart that compares the second hand smoke to all those other chemicals? because quit frankly when it comes to a print shop I have no idea just how they would know how much of those chemicals came from the cigarettes and how much came from the printing process!!!

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 10:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: dawnstar
The word asthma doesn't occur once on that page, but the word "ban" does!!

I ctrl+f the word "ban" on that link and the only hit I got was in a link to an outside source.

4. Callinan JE, Clarke A, Doherty K, and Kelleher C. Legislative Smoking Bans for Reducing Secondhand Smoke Exposure, Smoking Prevalence and Tobacco Consumption (Review)[PDF–1.11 MB]. The Cochrane Library 2010; Issue 6 [accessed 2014 Apr 25].

so it's to protect nonsmokers from second hand smoke with the added benefit of convincing people to quit. At least that's what CDC says!!

Well those are the CDC's reasons. MY reasons for supporting these restrictions is because of my asthma.

okay let's see the chart that ranks the dangers of second hand smoke compared to all those other things out there that have basically the same offending chemicals in them!! Cigarettes have arsenic in them!! Arsenic is bad so let's ban it!! okay, but there's a mild problem ya see, the arsenic is in the soil where it has been since they sprayed the crops pesticides that contains arsenic! As a result it's not only the tobacco that contains arsenic but it's also in food that is grown in soil that was sprayed!
air fresheners, perfumes, detergents and cleaners also have many of the same offending chemicals as cigarettes do. and it's also a choice as to weather you use them or not.
flourmaldahyde??? blankets and quilts, new homes, pressed woods.

The difference between all those things is that EVERY instance of cigarette smoke being released into the air is the result of someone making a choice to light that cigarette up. Talking about arsenic in the soil or other pollutants in modern society is a red herring as they aren't the results of individual choice.

and we won't even talk about those workplaces that dear coumo or was it pataki said he would never allow anything as harmful as cigarettes in!! ya know that lovely place that had birds dropping dead into our screens!!

is there a chart that compares the second hand smoke to all those other chemicals? because quit frankly when it comes to a print shop I have no idea just how they would know how much of those chemicals came from the cigarettes and how much came from the printing process!!!

Can't you just smoke outside? Is it really such a travesty that you have to go outside to smoke a cigarette?

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 10:42 AM
link   
oh and your bans stop at my front door!!! there is no way in heck I am smoking outside when it comes down to that we can all just put up with the crazy b...tch that is the result of nicotine withdrawal!

and well want to know the reason I smoke???

I've put up with many other things that make me sick
I mean you'd think that a hospital would have enough sense not to go around mopping everything down with pinesol but the don't!!!
and tell me how someone who is hospitalized can avoid that one?

so well if everybody and their second cousin gov'ts included can kill me with all this crap

I sure as heck have the right to enjoy a little toxicity of my choice once in awhile!

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 10:52 AM
link   
outside of the fact that now some cities are trying to ban smoking outside??
na I don't like cold air that much!! It's my home!!
and well when it comes to workplaces and printers give me a workplace that has clean air and I might choose to preserve it!!

but it's a laugh to say that the cigarette smoke in some workplaces are killing people when the other chemicals in the place are known to cause a wide range of problems including kidney disease!!
in such case you are asking people to kill themselves to produce you products while you are crying about that one little cigarette is killing you!!!

and isn't wearing perfume also a choice???

edit on 3-2-2015 by dawnstar because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 11:10 AM
link   

outside of the fact that now some cities are trying to ban smoking outside??

Source?

na I don't like cold air that much!! It's my home!!

I've already disagreed with the premise in the OP to restrict smoking at your home.

and well when it comes to workplaces and printers give me a workplace that has clean air and I might choose to preserve it!!

This is just straight up rude. "Well the air isn't clean, so damn everyone who doesn't like my cigarette smoke. I'm lighting up anyways!"

but it's a laugh to say that the cigarette smoke in some workplaces are killing people when the other chemicals in the place are known to cause a wide range of problems including kidney disease!!
in such case you are asking people to kill themselves to produce you products while you are crying about that one little cigarette is killing you!!!

Well it makes it REALLY hard to breath when my asthma flairs up, but I guess that is an acceptable loss for you to get your stupid fix.

and isn't wearing perfume also a choice???

I don't wear perfume, but perfume doesn't stink up the ENTIRE room with its odor. The parts per million of intoxicants from perfume in the air from someone walking into a room wearing it is LEAPS and BOUNDS lower than the number of intoxicants in the air from someone taking ONE drag off of a cigarette. Let alone smoking the whole thing.

I don't have to leave the building or even a room to get away from annoying perfume.
edit on 3-2-2015 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 12:15 PM
link   

www.cbsnews.com...

oh well rudeness is like pollution now days it's all over the place and comes from many sources.
of course all you or anyone else who has a medical condition that finds smoke bothersome would have to is to politely tell me that you have a problem and I wouldn't light up but that just isn't good enough for some and quite frankly I got a feeling that the loudest to grip about it isn't the asthmatics but rather healthy people who just don't like it for whatever reason they may have.

and you have actually measured the vocs (they aren't intoxicants) that are let out in an elevator by someone wearing a high dose of perfume and compared the to what a cigarette puts out??
Really?? Has anyone?? Can you find me a chart that shows the amounts???

Didn't think so!!!

and my nephew would have to leave the elevator or end up in the hospital.

Heck they closed down a danged hookah lounge in blackburg va just because they served served food and beer.

www.roanoke.com...

I don't know maybe they would have felt better if they were smoking pot in their pipes instead of tobacco but come one!! if someone doesn't like cigarette smoke they should know better than to go into the place if HOOKAH is in the name of the place!!!

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 01:06 PM
link   

www.cbsnews.com...

Thank you. I was unaware of this. I also don't agree with it. Those bans are stupid.

oh well rudeness is like pollution now days it's all over the place and comes from many sources.
of course all you or anyone else who has a medical condition that finds smoke bothersome would have to is to politely tell me that you have a problem and I wouldn't light up but that just isn't good enough for some and quite frankly I got a feeling that the loudest to grip about it isn't the asthmatics but rather healthy people who just don't like it for whatever reason they may have.

Well that is easy enough when it is just one person smoking. Should I have to do that to every person in a store/bar/restaurant that I walk into?

and you have actually measured the vocs (they aren't intoxicants) that are let out in an elevator by someone wearing a high dose of perfume and compared the to what a cigarette puts out??
Really?? Has anyone?? Can you find me a chart that shows the amounts???

Didn't think so!!!

and my nephew would have to leave the elevator or end up in the hospital.

Heck they closed down a danged hookah lounge in blackburg va just because they served served food and beer.

www.roanoke.com...

I don't know maybe they would have felt better if they were smoking pot in their pipes instead of tobacco but come one!! if someone doesn't like cigarette smoke they should know better than to go into the place if HOOKAH is in the name of the place!!!

This is why I left this thread originally, I don't agree with these excess smoking restrictions. I just want people to smoke outdoors.

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 01:22 PM
link   
and you're never gonna get me outside to smoke a cigarette! I'll go without first! Sorry that is just the way it is but I also will not spend my money in a restaurant or bar since they passed the stupid laws banning it. Sorry just the way I am. As for workplaces, that's the worse for me!! Ya see everyplace I worked at had a smokers breakroom that you could smoke in. These rooms were pretty much in areas where I am sorry but if you didn't want to be by the smoke you didn't have to be. meanwhile like I said one place we'd routinely find dead birds in the morning laying in our screens! ain't no one gonna convince me that use smoking in a room in the corner of the basement where no one really had any other reason to be in was hurting anyone let alone was worse than what we all were breathing while we were working!

and well in one way it is like nazi germany!! actually there are quite a few similarities between then and now in our financial markets and well it seems like in the end they are trying to take the same course to alleviate the pain when things fall apart. Mainly by creating scapegoats to blame all their problems on.
Me thinks that the idea that second hand smoke is more dangerous than those other items that have been mentioned is about as factual as the old "The jews are sacrificing baby christians on their alters." was then!!

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 02:59 PM
link   

You demand too much!

Can you read a sign at the door that says whether smoking is allowed or not allowed? How about if you just choose to stay out the ones that say "smoking allowed"

And you want me to smoke outside? Am I not a human being even though I am not an asthmatic, do I not require shelter from the elements (at -50 degrees, you can lose body parts in minutes).

Sorry - being asthmatic doesn't give you the right to waltz through the world demanding that smokers give way to you on demand. Be entertained in places that don't allow smoking. I will stick to the places that do.

Right now - in Ontario - I am allowed only to smoke in my own home. I am not allowed in parks or outdoor festivals and concerts and there are town squares and outdoor markets I am not allowed in.

Tired of Control Freaks

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 03:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: Hecate666
To all those who have said that OTHER asthmatics have the same reaction to smoke as I have to air fresheners. That was my whole point. We all KNOW that some asthmatics can't tolerate smoke, I didn't say they could, so I am not sure why you feel the need to repeat that?

I did it because TiredofControlFreaks appears to ignore it.

What would you say if yet another asthmatic told you they can't tolerate perfume [I have problems with some] and all of us would like everything that could possibly trigger an attack BANNED?
I know what you would say, you'd rightly say that the majority has no problems and that you'll continue to use it because you like smelling nice and have a clean establishment.

No, I wouldn't say that (I find it funny when people think they know what other people think, as they usually fail), I never say that when someone complains about something I do (or should do), I always try to act in the best way for everyone.

All my life I have left the blinds up at night, as I don't have any building close to my building, but, three or four years ago, a neighbour from the building that faces my building (but some 50 metres away) came to my door asking us to close the blinds, so he could sleep. We asked him why didn't he close his blinds (he doesn't have them), but, as it was nothing special, since then, we close the blinds as soon as we turn the lights on.

So why oh why can't the same logic apply to smoking?
Why can't you just accept that you don't like smoking but others do? Why this righteousness?

I do apply the same logic, to everything, not just smoking, but smoking is the only thing common people do that can affect my health (it's a question of not liking) in a short time period.

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 03:08 PM
link   

and well in one way it is like nazi germany!! actually there are quite a few similarities between then and now in our financial markets and well it seems like in the end they are trying to take the same course to alleviate the pain when things fall apart. Mainly by creating scapegoats to blame all their problems on.
Me thinks that the idea that second hand smoke is more dangerous than those other items that have been mentioned is about as factual as the old "The jews are sacrificing baby christians on their alters." was then!!

Have to say it again---you couldn't find a better example of Godwin's Law.

People who don't want to breath second hand smoke are called drama queens while the smokers compare themselves to Jews in Nazi Germany because they're being asked to go outside to smoke.

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 03:09 PM
link   
a reply to: ArMaP

Its so nice to know that you are such a perfect and reasonable human being! Willing even to risk your life so a friend can smoke?????

But I still have no place to socialize or shelter from the elements while I smoke. The one indoor place where I can smoke is my home and the anti-smokers are coming for it using the excuse that asthmatics require it.

So show me the one asthmatic who publically stands up and says "no" I don't need that. Don't do that in my name.

Tired of Control Freaks

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 03:12 PM
link   

I've put up with many other things that make me sick
I mean you'd think that a hospital would have enough sense not to go around mopping everything down with pinesol but the don't!!!
and tell me how someone who is hospitalized can avoid that one?

That's a good example of how someone that is ignorant can affect other people. Did you make an official complaint about it?

I sure as heck have the right to enjoy a little toxicity of my choice once in awhile!

Sure you have, but why should you do the same thing as those idiots with the pinesol and force other people to have a worse day just so you can have a nicer one?

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 03:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: TiredofControlFreaks
Its so nice to know that you are such a perfect and reasonable human being! Willing even to risk your life so a friend can smoke?????

I'm not perfect (far from it) but I think I am reasonable. And no, I didn't risk my life so my co-worker (not a friend) could smoke, why do you keep on distorting what I say?

So show me the one asthmatic who publically stands up and says "no" I don't need that. Don't do that in my name.

Where do you want me to say it? I already said it in this thread that I'm against it.

Is there an online petition or something I can sign? If there is (and it's not one of those fake petitions just to get people's email addresses) just point to it.

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 03:24 PM
link   

You are the one who insists that you are adversely affected by cigarette smoke to the point where someone smoking over 30 feet away from you caused your lungs to react badly enough that you had to close the window.

Then you turned around and because you are such a nice person, allowed your friend to smoke a cigarette in an enclosed environment, while you were present, even though your boss had made it smoke-free just for you.

Those two statements do NOT jive!

Tired of Control Freaks

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 03:26 PM
link   

I want an asthmatic to stand up publically to the government and say such draconian bans are not needed.

What if I publically said in this thread that all asthmatics should "be punched in the face and shot" - would you consider that a bit of an insult

Or that all "asthmatics" stink?

Why and when did it become acceptable to treat people that way? I am afraid that no one has any right to demand respect from smokers until respect is given.

Tired of Control Freask

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 03:35 PM
link   

You demand too much!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA! Getting off of your butt to go stand outside for 5 minutes to smoke is "demanding too much". What a joke! Why do I keep coming back to this travesty of a thread? The valid arguments left this thread pages ago and all we are left is the obnoxious people who can't understand how their habit is infringing on others' right to live and are too selfish to acknowledge that maybe they are causing problems.

Can you read a sign at the door that says whether smoking is allowed or not allowed? How about if you just choose to stay out the ones that say "smoking allowed"

And you want me to smoke outside? Am I not a human being even though I am not an asthmatic, do I not require shelter from the elements (at -50 degrees, you can lose body parts in minutes).

Idiotic argument. No one is dying from smoking cigarettes in the cold. Even in Ontario. Even if that WAS the case, are you too dumb to go get in your car to smoke in -50 degree weather?

Sorry - being asthmatic doesn't give you the right to waltz through the world demanding that smokers give way to you on demand. Be entertained in places that don't allow smoking. I will stick to the places that do.

Yes, it does through the fact that it is a disability and what you are doing is a choice. And no you won't stick to the places that do let you smoke, because they don't exist anymore. You have to smoke outside. So I'll stick to all the places that don't let you smoke (everywhere) and you'll do the same.

Right now - in Ontario - I am allowed only to smoke in my own home. I am not allowed in parks or outdoor festivals and concerts and there are town squares and outdoor markets I am not allowed in.

Tired of Control Freaks

That isn't true either. You can smoke outside of those outdoor areas as well. You can smoke in the street. You can smoke in someone's front lawn. You can smoke in your car.
edit on 3-2-2015 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 03:49 PM
link   

You are the one who insists that you are adversely affected by cigarette smoke to the point where someone smoking over 30 feet away from you caused your lungs to react badly enough that you had to close the window.

Then you turned around and because you are such a nice person, allowed your friend to smoke a cigarette in an enclosed environment, while you were present, even though your boss had made it smoke-free just for you.

Those two statements do NOT jive!

They do not "jive" because you, apparently, aren't capable of understanding that asthma is not a fixed thing, we can have a good day followed by a bad day and never find the reason for one or the other.

And you, once more, you distorted what I said, as I didn't say that my lungs reacted badly enough that I had to close the window, I closed the window because I preferred to have it close than to have my room with cigarette smoke, if I was feeling that bad I wouldn't have gone to the balcony to see who was smoking (I did because few people in my building smoke).

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 03:57 PM
link   

I want an asthmatic to stand up publically to the government and say such draconian bans are not needed.

We don't have draconian bans in Portugal, it would be silly to do it.

What if I publically said in this thread that all asthmatics should "be punched in the face and shot" - would you consider that a bit of an insult

Yes, and that's one of the reasons I didn't say it.

Or that all "asthmatics" stink?

That depends, as some asthmatics (I don't know why did you put that word between quotation marks) do stink.

Why and when did it become acceptable to treat people that way? I am afraid that no one has any right to demand respect from smokers until respect is given.

You are forgetting that, when someone lights a cigarette in a place nobody else is smoking, the one lighting the cigarette is the one that is deviating from the general behaviour in that place, so he/she should be the one showing some respect and ask if he/she can light that cigarette.

The same thing happens in the opposite direction, obviously, so anyone that doesn't like smoke should not enter a place where everybody else is smoking and expect everybody to stop smoking.

In the old days people called that "common sense", but now it looks like it's a rare thing, even among those that live at the time when common sense was common.

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 06:22 PM
link   

yes people do freeze to death because of the smoking ban in Canada

harridanic.com...

Here are names and bodies and actual deaths as opposed to theoretical deaths, or potential deaths or statistical deaths. These people had families and people who loved them. They paid taxes all their lives and were obviously law abiding citizens. But to the anti-smokers, these people are dogs.

Barry Collen

January 2008, Barry Collen (74) was found frozen to death at 4.30am at his care home in Winnipeg, Canada, after going outside in -20°C temperatures at 1am for a cigarette[13][14]

"He was banned from the smoking room, for smoking too much.[15]"

Lorraine Adolph

December 2008, Lorraine, 68, - a patient at Alberta Hospital, Edmonton, Canada, went out in sub-zero temperatures to have a cigarette. She was found one week later, frozen to death[5], 400 meters[6] from the building.

Miles Patterson

January 2008, Miles, 65, a resident of Manitoulin Lodge in Gore Bay, Ontario, Canada was found suffering from hypothermia after he'd gone outside for a cigarette "sometime after the established smoking period"[21]. He later died after being admitted to hospital.

If you are not satisfied with the link, google the names. All of these stories and more were in the media.

Tired of Control Freaks

top topics

<< 34  35  36    38  39  40 >>

join