It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Smoking Bans - Where will it end?

page: 35
<< 32  33  34    36  37  38 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 08:11 PM
link   
a reply to: centhwevir1979

Yes! their concern for the health of smokers was soooooo overwhelming. They didn't even bother to do any testing to determine if the fire retardant chemicals would kill smokers.

But this is to be expected from government. They did the same thing during Alcohol Prohibition by contaminating grain alcohol with wood alcohol to catch the "criminals" who were breaking the law. The zealots were so eager for their alcohol free utopia that they actually committed murder.

www.slate.com...

Frustrated that people continued to consume so much alcohol even after it was banned, federal officials had decided to try a different kind of enforcement. They ordered the poisoning of industrial alcohols manufactured in the United States, products regularly stolen by bootleggers and resold as drinkable spirits. The idea was to scare people into giving up illicit drinking. Instead, by the time Prohibition ended in 1933, the federal poisoning program, by some estimates, had killed at least 10,000 people.

Utopia run by murderers! What a concept.

Tired of Control Freaks

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 08:13 PM
link   
a reply to: ArMaP

so why did you stand beside your friend and let her smoker, even though your boss had implemented a smoke-free environment just for you?????

Methinks you are telling porkies!

Tired of Control Freaks

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 08:17 PM
link   
a reply to: TiredofControlFreaks

So how about it smokers???

I have been smoking for over 40 years. I grew up with smoking everywhere, schools, doctor's offices, homes, restaurants, theatres, airplanes and even grocery stores.

But never, ever in my whole life, have I seen an asthmatic even have an asthma attack in this environment. Not even once have I seen an asthmatic curl up and die?

Has anyone else?

Where are all these asthmatics that smokers are supposedly killing? Where are the bodies?

Has anyone ever seen an asthmatic have an asthma attack because they were unexpectedly exposed to cigarette smoke? Has anyone ever seen an asthmatic die in minutes because of cigarette smoke?

Lets hear it. Its supposedly so common. Someone must of seen it?

Tired of Control Freaks

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 08:44 PM
link   

I am doing a google search right now! If asthmatics are falling over from exposure to second hand smoke it must be recorded all over the internet

getasthmahelp.org...

Tobacco smoke is toxic to the lungs. People with asthma who smoke or are exposed to secondhand smoke have a higher risk for asthma attacks because their airways are overly sensitive. Secondhand smoke is more harmful to nonsmokers because their bodies are not as used to smoke exposure, as smoker's bodies are.

Nope - no dead bodies here - just a "higher risk" of asthma attacks. But it does imply that if you exposed yourself more to secondhand smoke, you too can develop the heartier lungs of a smoker and not be so hypersensitive.

shall I keep looking>????

www.cdc.gov...

look at this - smoke exposure keeps going down in the general population

Measurements of cotinine have shown how exposure to secondhand smoke has steadily decreased in the United States over time.5* During 1988–1991, approximately 87.9% of nonsmokers had measurable levels of cotinine. During 1999–2000, approximately 52.5% of nonsmokers had measurable levels of cotinine. During 2007–2008, approximately 40.1% of nonsmokers had measurable levels of cotinine. The decrease in exposure to secondhand smoke is due to the growing number of laws that prohibit smoking in workplaces and public places, including restaurants and bars, the increase in the number of households with voluntary smoke-free home rules, and the decreases in adult and youth smoking rates.1,5

Will someone help me look? It seems its just a little more difficult than I expected with all these stories of these (cough cough cough) asthmatics?

Tired of Control Freask

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 08:57 PM
link   

its just as I thought

www.patient.co.uk...

There were 1,167 deaths of acute asthma attacks in the UK in 2011and the greatest cause is.....

Inadequately treated disease +/- inadequate medical monitoring. Inappropriate beta-blocker prescription or heavy sedation. Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory sensitivity. Use of a long-acting beta2 agonist such as salmeterol, especially if not using a steroid inhaler.[7]

personal smoking or exposure to second-hand smoke is only 5th on the list. Somehow its more important than every other environmental fact which tells me that it was included separately on the list.

Most asthmatics who die of an asthma attack died because of an inadequately treated disease (which also included non-compliance by the patient) and inadequate medical monitoring (doctor's fault).

So smokers are not killing off asthmatics to the degree implied by anti-smokers! In fact, second hand smoke is only 1 on a list of hundreds of environmental factors.

If asthmatics cannot even take personal responsibility for complying with their medical care, why should smokers be denied public place to socialize together?

Tired of Control Freaks

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 09:03 PM
link   

Population of the UK in 2011 was:

www.ons.gov.uk... he-united-kingdom.html

On census night, the population of the United Kingdom (UK) was estimated to be 63.2 million.

Therefore the risk of death from an asthma attack in 2011 was 1,167 deaths / 63.2 million = 0.00000018 %

Asthmatics take care of yourselves, take your medication and don't expect smokers to do it for you!

Tired of Control Freaks

Wow - I am so concerned about smokers and asthmatics

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 09:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: TiredofControlFreaks

Drama queen much?

Tired of Control Freaks

The irony of you accusing someone else of being a drama queen hardly needs to be pointed out.

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 09:25 PM
link   
a reply to: DelMarvel

Then why did you bother?

Tired of control Freaks

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 10:40 PM
link   
You two sound like you are trying to convince yourselves that smoking is good for you and vaccination eradication of diseases like Polio is a myth.

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 10:47 PM
link   
a reply to: Leonidas

I never said anything about vaccination. But does smoking have benefits! Absolutely!

Like anything else in the world, tobacco is an herb and has health benefits. The smoke contains scopalimine and is good for treating asthma. The stickiness in the smoke traps viruses and bacteria and cleans the air, preventing the spread of disease. Smokers get less Alzeimer's, less Parkinsons, less MS. Its excellent for the treatment of mental illness like Depressions, Schizophenia. Wieght control. relaxations, pleasure and its potentiates other pleasures, relieves boredom, improves concentration and stamina

Like anything else in the world, tobacco also has risks. Although with all the exaggerations and lies of Anti-smokers, I am not exactly sure what they are.

Tired of Control Freaks

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 01:15 AM
link   

You are obviously intelligent, so I don't think anyone believes that you think smoking is not bad for your health. I used to smoke and I loved it. Still do. Still smoke the occasional cigar. However, being an EX-smoker I am fully aware of the detrimental effects of smoking. The effects of second hand smoke is cruel and selfish and I sure you are neither.

So what are you truly trying to accomplish, other than to attempt to convince yourself that smoking is fine and smokers are being unfairly persecuted?

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 04:09 AM
link   

so why did you stand beside your friend and let her smoker, even though your boss had implemented a smoke-free environment just for you?????

Because, even if that's a hard thing for you to understand, being an asthmatic isn't a fixed thing, sometimes I'm better than others, a result of many factors (most of those I got to understood through the years, things like humidity, smoke and heat, for example, make my breathing more difficult). Like everyone else, I can choose what to do with myself, so, at that time (and on similar occasions) I thought that I was good enough to stand someone smoking one cigarette without any special problems, I just moved a little from her and we kept on working.

Methinks you are telling porkies!

That doesn't surprise me, throughout this thread you have shown that whenever someone says something with which you do not agree that can only mean that they are wrong or lying.

Being sceptical is good, if you don't let scepticism blind you to reality.

You present yourself as being "tired of control freaks", but are, in reality, controlling the truth around you by bending it to your own preconceptions.

I suggest you take a deep breath (with or without cigarette smoke, although I would prefer without any kind of pollutants, as the brain needs oxygen) and rethink the way you act to other people.

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 04:11 AM
link   

Lets hear it. Its supposedly so common. Someone must of seen it?

Who said it was common? Why do you keep on distorting what other people say?

The fact it can happen doesn't mean that it happens frequently.

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 04:50 AM
link   

Will someone help me look? It seems its just a little more difficult than I expected with all these stories of these (cough cough cough) asthmatics?

If someone dies of an asthma attack the cause of death is the asthma attack, not what provoked the asthma attack.

Asthma attacks can be fatal (if you do a Google search I'm sure you will find references to people who died of an asthma attack), so any trigger (different people have different triggers, in case you forgot or ignored it) can cause a strong asthma attack (as I said, it depends on the condition the person is at the time he/she is affected by the trigger), strong enough to kill the person.

You probably won't believe it, as it's something you haven't seen yourself, but the last time I had to go to a health centre because my inhaler wasn't working (the effect is supposed to last for at least 4 hours, and they say that if it lasts only 3 hours or less the person should go to the hospital) and I was waiting to see if it started working, but after some hours I decided to tell my father that I needed to go to the hospital (I never liked it). When I got there (people experiencing an asthma attack are treated immediately, as it's considered a risk situation) the doctor was very upset with me because the tips of my fingers were already turning purple and he said that if I had waited a hour more I would probably lose conscience and, if I didn't get oxygen fast enough, I could have died.

An ex co-worker had a friend with asthma that died because he got out without his inhaler and walked his girlfriend home. As the weather was very humid he started having trouble breathing and return to his home, but he died while climbing the stairs, probably because of the extra oxygen needed for that last effort.

PS: I suppose you don't have anyone in your close family suffering from a chronic disease, as you present the usual "I don't know about it, it doesn't exist" attitude of some healthy people that apparently think that people with health problems are lying or exaggerating.

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 04:59 AM
link   

So smokers are not killing off asthmatics to the degree implied by anti-smokers! In fact, second hand smoke is only 1 on a list of hundreds of environmental factors.

If asthmatics cannot even take personal responsibility for complying with their medical care, why should smokers be denied public place to socialize together?

Once more, you take part of what is said and act as if it represents the whole.

The fact that second hand smoke is not the main environmental factor doesn't mean it's not a factor. And no, I don't think smokers should be denied places where they can socialize. In fact, that's against the Portuguese constitution, that says that everybody has the right gather in peaceful groups.

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 05:30 AM
link   

Asthmatics take care of yourselves, take your medication and don't expect smokers to do it for you!

I'm not expecting anyone to do it for me, but I would like to get some respect from other people, in the same way I respect their rights.

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 05:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: Leonidas
So what are you truly trying to accomplish, other than to attempt to convince yourself that smoking is fine and smokers are being unfairly persecuted?

From what I have seen so far, I'm starting to think that he/she is trying to find someone else to blame for their problems.

As that reminds too much of the people that made it possible for the Portuguese dictatorship to last that long, I think I will stop posting on this thread, as it saddens and depresses me to see intelligent people acting in a way that is only helping spread discord among the people and making things easier for them to be controlled by those in power.

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 05:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: Leonidas

You are obviously intelligent, so I don't think anyone believes that you think smoking is not bad for your health. I used to smoke and I loved it. Still do. Still smoke the occasional cigar. However, being an EX-smoker I am fully aware of the detrimental effects of smoking. The effects of second hand smoke is cruel and selfish and I sure you are neither.

Ya know my son had asthma as a child. One of the things that was required in elementary school was that the kids take swimming lessons at the local YMCA. Well when it came time for him to take these classes I suddenly found that he was refusing to go to school on gym days and asked him what was up. He told me that being in the pool was making him feel sick. I asked him if he had told the teacher this and he said he had but she didn't care. I am very allergic to chlorine and I also happen to know that chlorinated pools will also affect asthmatics! And ya know what. It seems to me that forcing a young child to go into a pool when he says it is making him sick quite a bit more cruel that walking by a person on the street while smoking a cigarette!!!

I spoke of my nephew before. His asthma was much worse and he spent quite a bit of time in the hospital. His doctors put my sister and her husband through heck and back!! Had them wiping everything down in the house every couple of days, telling them not to let him go outside and play in the dirt and on and on. Not once did he say anything about that nice big pool in their backyard that he was playing in every summer day!!! My mom had to stop wearing any type of perfume and clearing out a lot of her cleaning products before he could come into her house. I couldn't visit her if I had any one me! So tell me do you consider it just as cruel to get into an elevator with someone who is heavily wearing perfume?? What about those nice pretty smelling air fresheners? Do you realize that they put the same danged chemicals in those pretty smelling things as are in the cigarettes that many complain are so dangerous? How can those chemicals be "safe" as long as they smell pretty but be so deadly if they come in the form of the cigarette?

They are finding in big smog filled cities that the children's lungs aren't developing properly.. There's some pretty big differences between their lungs and what is considered a healthy lung! So do you consider hopping into your car and driving it down to the corner store for something wanted but not needed also cruel?? What about shipping all of our manufacturing to countries that have no EPA regulations whatsoever because it's cheaper?? Is it less cruel to fill their cities with even more smog that would be produced here??

And those who are actually suffering from the overexposure to all these chemicals that are everywhere and practically unavoidable. Which is do you think is more cruel? For the doctor to keep preaching about how they have to stay away from the smokers and change their eating habits and make scapegoats out of a portion of the population or to tell the industries to get the crap out of all their products and make them go back to disposing of them according to EPA regulations?

People of been smoking tobacco for ages upon ages! I grew up with both a father and a mother who smoked and spent quite a bit of my youth in smoke filled bars. Most of my friends also had a parent or two that smoked....
I don't think I knew one person who had asthma when I was growing up! There were very few that were overly obese either! We could run and play all day long with no problems. Now you go into a school's nurse's medicine cabinet and that is all you see is inhalers for the asthmatics!!

We didn't have people keeling over because someone breathed on them after a peanut butter sandwich either which is really amazing because it was one of the top items in many lunchboxes of the day! Now those sandwiches are banned from most schools..

The way we ate as kids would be considered quite unhealthy now days with our eggs and bacon and milk for breakfast, and our fried fish (fried in lard!!) and french fries along with a nice yummy sugar (real sugar) filled dessert but gee we grew like weeds getting taller and taller not wider and wider! oh ya I forgot the real butter!!

I fed my kids in much the same way (as I possibly could anyways) as we ate as children and they don't seem to have problems either!

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 05:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: ArMaP

I'm not expecting anyone to do it for me, but I would like to get some respect from other people, in the same way I respect their rights.

Thats what it comes down to at the end of the day, respect. Unfortunately some people on both sides of the argument do not respect the views or lives of the other side. I did have a massive essay written out until the power went off and lost my epic rant but as I have lost it I will keep it short:

1. Smokers: Dont be rude - there are normally places in public set out for smokers or if you do smoke when walking down the street try not to blow it in peoples face or god forbid smoke infront of a child. People do no like us, they dont like the smell or that we are attacking them with chemicals. By all means if someone in the street launches into fall "better then you" because they dont smoke, you can defend. But it is a choice to be addicted , if we didnt want the addiction then we would seek help but whilst it is legal it is a fact that people will do it in public so people need to get over themselves.

2. Non-smokers: Yes we are offensive to most of you puffing away etc etc but like you we live our lives to our rules, in most places we have been forced outside to get our fix so please dont walk out and rant about how we are in your air space ruining your life outside a bar / pub, believe me in the winter we would happily swap with you but yes, people who smoke just to annoy you need a slap.

To TiredofControlFreaks:

Please, for the love of god/the void stop acting like anyone else voicing their opinion is a direct attack on your rights. Try to be civil and respect others views and they will yours. Its my view that smokers like you give the rest of us a bad name

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 06:04 AM
link   
As a smoker, and regardless of any laws :
I think that it is inappropriate to smoke in your own home if you have children.
I also think it's polite, even in you own home, to ask those around you, if they would mind if you lit one up around them.
However, I am against any legislation to this effect.
edit on 3-2-2015 by rom12345 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 32  33  34    36  37  38 >>

join