It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Smoking Bans - Where will it end?

page: 31
<< 28  29  30    32  33  34 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 1 2015 @ 06:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: TiredofControlFreaks
Its not smokers that use inhalers - its asthmatics.

And you think they don't have other things that can be used by smokers?

Oh, I forgot, you think smoking is good for your health.

posted on Feb, 1 2015 @ 06:38 PM
link   
a reply to: ArMaP

No, as I said earlier, many asthmatics claim that smoking a few cigarettes a day works better than Big Pharma puffers.

Well ArMaP - you made a good point. I am surprised to discover that smokers comprise roughly 21 % of all asthmatics and as matter of fact, more asmatics smoke than the percentage of the general population???? Of course - I don't believe these stats because they are based on surveys. People lie on surveys

www.cdc.gov...

This next link indicates the % of asthmatics in the population (14 %)

www.cdc.gov...

What in god's name is going on with asthma - even anti-smokers can't blame smokers for the uncontrolled rise of asthma in the population???

This just blows my mind

Tired of Control Freaks

posted on Feb, 1 2015 @ 07:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: ArMaP

Its not smokers that use inhalers - its asthmatics.

And you think they don't have other things that can be used by smokers?

Oh, I forgot, you think smoking is good for your health.

Moderate smoking is certainly good for the general overall health statistics. Obesity related diseases are costing much more than smoking related diseases. Which was not a problem two decades ago. You will have to admit that much of what the anti smoking crusade says is so questionable its suspect.www.forces.org...
edit on 1-2-2015 by anonentity because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2015 @ 08:00 PM
link   

No, as I said earlier, many asthmatics claim that smoking a few cigarettes a day works better than Big Pharma puffers.

Well ArMaP - you made a good point. I am surprised to discover that smokers comprise roughly 21 % of all asthmatics and as matter of fact, more asmatics smoke than the percentage of the general population???? Of course - I don't believe these stats because they are based on surveys. People lie on surveys

www.cdc.gov...

www.cdc.gov...

What in god's name is going on with asthma - even anti-smokers can't blame smokers for the uncontrolled rise of asthma in the population???

This just blows my mind

Tired of Control Freaks

My husband has suffered with asthma since he was a child. Up until a few years ago he used an over-the-counter inhaler---had used it for his entire life---probably 50 or more years at the time. Then, for whatever reasons, the formula was changed for the inhaler (I believe it was some sort of propellent, declared "evil" by the enviro-nazis) and it didn't work as well. Then, after the formula change and diminution of its effectiveness, the inhaler was taken off the market. Boom---now he needed to see a doctor to obtain anything to help his condition. I suspect that simple fact is the reason for the reported uptick in asthma. The prescription inhalers can cost hundreds each. The old inhalers were reasonably priced and actually worked so----away they go!

posted on Feb, 1 2015 @ 08:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: diggindirt

www.cdc.gov...

www.cdc.gov...

This just blows my mind

Tired of Control Freaks

My husband has suffered with asthma since he was a child. Up until a few years ago he used an over-the-counter inhaler---had used it for his entire life---probably 50 or more years at the time. Then, for whatever reasons, the formula was changed for the inhaler (I believe it was some sort of propellent, declared "evil" by the enviro-nazis) and it didn't work as well. Then, after the formula change and diminution of its effectiveness, the inhaler was taken off the market. Boom---now he needed to see a doctor to obtain anything to help his condition. I suspect that simple fact is the reason for the reported uptick in asthma. The prescription inhalers can cost hundreds each. The old inhalers were reasonably priced and actually worked so----away they go!

In the old days if you had an attack of asthma and were not a smoker. You could buy cones of "Datura Stramonium" and inhale them they stopped all asthma attacks for days. Just don't eat it or you end up tripping for a week instead. But I think they banned it, as you could just grow your own.

posted on Feb, 1 2015 @ 09:20 PM
link   
a reply to: anonentity

No I don't think anyone is getting what I am saying here:

www.accp1.org...

The Centers for Disease Control did not start tracking asthma prevalence in the United States until 1979. The number of Am ericans suffering from asthma increased from 6.7 million in 1980 to 17.3 million in 1998 i , while the total popu lation rose from 220 million in 1980 to 280 million in 2000. Of potentially greater public health significance is the observation that the prevalence of asthma in U.S. children appears to have doubled during the past 15 years. In the United States, asthma pr evalence appears to be increasing, and asthma-related medical costs now exceed $14.5 billion ii each year, for what has become the sixth-ranked chronic c ondition in the U.S., a nd the leading serious chronic illness in children.

So it was 6.7 million in 1989, 17.3 million in 1998 and now, according to the CDC that posted earlier, its almost 45 million

That is a huge epidemic!

And from the same link:

he preval ence of asthma symptoms was greater in developed countries than in less develope d nations, but the prevalence of asthma symptoms also was greater in nations with good air quality ( e.g., Barbados, New Zealand, and Australia) than in nations with poor air quality ( e.g., Indonesia, China and Mexico.) “

Outdoor air pollution is often cited as a “cause” of asthma. Yet, air quality has improved since the 1970s while asthma prev alence has increased. The most accurate statement seems to be that present levels of air pollution as currently measured, if they are a cause of asthma, cannot be a major cause of asthma.

Notice this - the explosion of asthma can't be because of smoking. The incidence rate for smoking has been going down since the 1960s!

I find it very interesting that countries with POOR air quality have less asthma than countries where there is GOOD air quality.

That certainly supports the theory that children are getting sicker because their respiratory and immune systems are not being properly challenged from infancy and as they grow.

posted on Feb, 1 2015 @ 09:42 PM
link   
a reply to: TiredofControlFreaks

Apparently, Datura Stramonium is used even today in the treatment of asthma in India

www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov...

Datura stramonium (D. stramonium) is a widespread annual plant from the Solanaceae family. It is one of the widely well known folklore medicinal herb. It is a wild growing flowering plant and was investigated as a local source for tropane alkaloids which contain a methylated nitrogen atom (N-CH3) and include the anti-cholinergic drugs atropine, and scopolamine. From ancient civilization it was traditionally used for religious visionary purposes throughout the world and used by witchcraft in medieval Europe. The god lord Shiva was known to smoke Cannabis and Datura. People still provide the small thorn apple during festivals and special days as offerings in Shiva icons at temples. An extract made from the leaves is taken orally for the treatment of asthma and sinus infections, and stripped bark are applied externally to treat swellings, burns and ulcers.

Datura stramonium is a member of the Solanacea family. Guess what else is a member of the Soanaceae Family and is also a cource of anti-cholinergic drugs attropine an dscopolamine......

why yes, good guess ....its tobacco

www.hc-sc.gc.ca...''

Tobacco is a plant from the Solanaceae family, better known as Nicotiana (genus).

of course the asthma sufferer would inhale parts of both Datura and tobacco for relief from asthma!

Who would have thunk it?

Tired of Control Freaks

posted on Feb, 1 2015 @ 09:51 PM
link   

Tobacco is a naturally growing herb that has been in use for hundreds of years. Of course it has benefits. Why else would people continue to use it for so long!

Do you always believe everything the government tells you or do you ever think things through for yourself?

The government said Cannabis was a dangerous drug that caused its users to go mad and turn into murdering maniacs. Thats how they got it banned 40 years ago. They are just now getting around to admitting they lied and also admitting that Cannabis has medical benefits.

Why should I believe anything they say about tobacco?

Tired of Control Freaks

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 12:02 AM
link   
a reply to: TiredofControlFreaks

Lets not the forget the power of the Placebo effect. The fact that the Big Lie has been running for two decades has convinced a lot of people that they were at deaths door, I wonder how many have just given up, as their innocent habit has been demonised. Wasn't Himmler who said at the Nuremberg trial if you tell a lie long enough they will believe it?

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 03:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: diggindirt
The prescription inhalers can cost hundreds each. The old inhalers were reasonably priced and actually worked so----away they go!

One thing I noticed is that, although the product is the same (Ventilan/Ventolin, with Salbutamol/Albuterol as the active substance), it has different prices in different countries, so while I can find it references for the 200 doses inhaler at 30$ to 60$ in the US, in Portugal it costs 3.75 Euros (4.2$), of which I only pay 1.29 Euros (1.46$), with the reminder paid by the Social Security.

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 04:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: ArMaP

originally posted by: dismanrc
I smoke cigars.

One interesting thing, cigar smoke affects me less than cigarette smoke.

Maybe because cigars are just tobacco with out all the other chemicals like cigarettes have?

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 04:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: anonentity
In the old days if you had an attack of asthma and were not a smoker. You could buy cones of "Datura Stramonium" and inhale them they stopped all asthma attacks for days. Just don't eat it or you end up tripping for a week instead. But I think they banned it, as you could just grow your own.

Now they give you a cortisone shot.

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 05:48 AM
link   

Notice this - the explosion of asthma can't be because of smoking.

I don't remember anyone in here saying that.

I find it very interesting that countries with POOR air quality have less asthma than countries where there is GOOD air quality.

To me, that means that asthma is not directly related to air quality.

That certainly supports the theory that children are getting sicker because their respiratory and immune systems are not being properly challenged from infancy and as they grow.

Although that is one of the possibilities, it doesn't explain all cases. In my case, for example, it is thought that the reason is mostly genetic, probably related to my mother's allergies, but asthma has many causes.

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 05:49 AM
link   
I believe that the one of the chemicals that is in the inhalers to expand the bronchial tubes is also added to cigarettes (since expanded bronchial tubes increases the intake of nicotine).
this could very well be why some asthmatics get relief from tobacco..

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 05:54 AM
link   

maybe it's more that the kids today are being exposed to more chemicals (they are adding crap to everything now days) and thus the kids are more at risk of being overexposed to them and thus the reactions?

You could get rid of all the tobacco in the world but our of all the chemicals that are in the smoke the only one that wouldn't still be in the environment would be the nicotine which quite frankly doesn't really have that many bad side effects. And comes with some rather good ones.

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 05:57 AM
link   

Datura stramonium is a member of the Solanacea family. Guess what else is a member of the Soanaceae Family and is also a cource of anti-cholinergic drugs attropine an dscopolamine......

why yes, good guess ....its tobacco

No need to guess, I know that for many years. Potatoes and tomatoes are also solanaceas.

of course the asthma sufferer would inhale parts of both Datura and tobacco for relief from asthma!

Who would have thunk it?

Once again, that doesn't work with all people, as the effect is probably caused by constriction of the small blood vessels inside the respiratory system.

And inhaling parts of the plant is not the same thing as smoking parts of the plant.

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 06:13 AM
link   

a reply to: Poppcocked

How about parents who allow thier children to get fat? Or not get enough exercise? Or those who fail to get them vacinnated? Or refuse to put them on medication for hyperactivity because the teacher asked them ?

Should they also be shot in the face and beaten?

Or is this particular punishment reserved only for smokers?

Does this treatment apply to all parents who refuse to follow public health "advice"

Tired of Control Freaks

Yeah well said.

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 06:20 AM
link   

Tobacco is a naturally growing herb that has been in use for hundreds of years. Of course it has benefits. Why else would people continue to use it for so long!

Like most natural things, it has benefits and disadvantages. In Portugal it's common the use of plants for medicinal reasons, mostly sold in herbalist stores as "dietary supplements".

The use of smoked tobacco is also related to addiction it creates and that makes it difficult to abandon.

Do you always believe everything the government tells you or do you ever think things through for yourself?

No, do you always believe everything people that say the opposite of what the government says?

The government said Cannabis was a dangerous drug that caused its users to go mad and turn into murdering maniacs. Thats how they got it banned 40 years ago. They are just now getting around to admitting they lied and also admitting that Cannabis has medical benefits.

You act as if there's only one government in the world.

Why should I believe anything they say about tobacco?

I don't think you should believe anyone just because they say something, regardless of what they say being in accord with what you think, I think you should accept the information from all sources and then try to find confirmation of that information in sources independent from the original source of that information.

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 06:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: dismanrc
Maybe because cigars are just tobacco with out all the other chemicals like cigarettes have?

That's what I think, as no other kind of smoke affects me as much as cigarette smoke.

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 07:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: dawnstar
maybe it's more that the kids today are being exposed to more chemicals (they are adding crap to everything now days) and thus the kids are more at risk of being overexposed to them and thus the reactions?

Maybe, as there are probably some things that would help if they were exposed to them and things that make them more likely to get asthma. We have so many things around us today it's hard to know.

You could get rid of all the tobacco in the world but our of all the chemicals that are in the smoke the only one that wouldn't still be in the environment would be the nicotine which quite frankly doesn't really have that many bad side effects. And comes with some rather good ones.

Nicotine, like most (or all) alkaloids, is toxic, so a higher dose can kill. Death is a bad side effect.

<< 28  29  30    32  33  34 >>

join