It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Smoking Bans - Where will it end?

page: 22
<< 19  20  21    23  24  25 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 27 2015 @ 09:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: TiredofControlFreaks
I am going to post a major news story that just appeared in a Canadian Newspaper in Ontario

Keep in mind that Ontario has the most draconian smoking ban - bar none

www.theglobeandmail.com...

The private home is one of the last places where Canadians can indiscriminately light up a cigarette without risking breaking the law. And a growing number of people would like that to change. Specifically, people who live in apartments, condominiums and other multiunit dwellings where one person’s cigarette smoke can easily invade another person’s home.

So now when exposure is down to nothing more than a molecular level, when it clearly can't be about health - are the control motives of anti-smokers now clear?

One helpful commenter even suggests that the children of smokers should be seized and put into a "safe orphanage" (and we have all seen how safe some orphanges are).

Is it time for non-smokers to stand up and help defend the rights of a hated minority? Or will you all fall under the hammer with us?

Tired of Control Freaks

I will happily and unabashedly "go there" - as long as we share air, I will not stop asking you to stop smoking.

I don't hate you at all, I have beloved Aunts and Uncles who smoke. I love them very much. I just don't spend time in the same area with them when they smoke.

I have my own faults, and I don't get mad at other people if they don't want to hang around with me when I am indulging in mine.

posted on Jan, 27 2015 @ 10:20 PM
link   

a reply to: DelMarvel

Do you personally know someone who died from lung cancer that was caused by smoking?

That is so interesting. How did the doctor different a lung cancer caused by smoking from a lung cancer caused by air pollution, or genetics or any of the other 40 know causes of lung cancer.

He must be a genius!!!! He is able to what no other doctor, scientist or idiot savant has EVER been able to do.

Please do enlighten me. How did anyone know what caused the lung cancer?

Tired fo Control Freaks

Oh come on! Are you seriously trying to suggest that it is not confirmed scientific fact that smoking tobacco causes lung cancer?

posted on Jan, 27 2015 @ 10:33 PM
link   
a reply to: regor77

Your original post said that if you list an apartment as smoking allowed you will rent it easily. Not true. If that was the case why do most landlords prohibit smoking? You can't argue with the free market. Especially if you're talking about multiple units in the same building. Even if you could "easily" rent the smoker's unit they will have stunk up the whole building and non-smokers will be reluctant to move in. It's hard enough to rent a unit that had cats in it and that's NOWHERE near as bad. Of course, you can almost always find someone to rent an apartment but as I said you want good tenants. Somebody who has no problem with fouling up their home tends to be less likely to take care of the place otherwise.

posted on Jan, 27 2015 @ 10:34 PM
link   
I would love to see cigaretts banned and pot legalized FTW!

posted on Jan, 27 2015 @ 10:35 PM
link   
a reply to: TiredofControlFreaks

Newsflash for you, there is no benefit (excepting a perceived, psychological benefit that can be achieved other ways,) to tobacco use or its active components. Nicotine ought to be Schedule 1. Nobody cares about smokers doing it off by themselves, frankly breathing secondhand smoke gives me a terrible headache. Obviously that is toxicity at work. When I get ripped, I am doing it where nobody else is forced to inhale it. It's called respect.

posted on Jan, 27 2015 @ 10:41 PM
link   
a reply to: TiredofControlFreaks

Normally, I love smoking bans, being someone with breathing issues, which smoke makes worse. In a private home, however, is too far! So is the talk of removing kids!!! Parents have rights, and I am against rules that infringe upon those rights. No government is any more qualified to make decisions about children than are parents.

posted on Jan, 27 2015 @ 11:21 PM
link   
Speaking as a minimal smoker (2 or 3 a day) and more importantly, a pedestrian, I am constantly confused by everyone's assertion that once smokers are removed from the equation then everyone will be able to step outside and breathe "clean air." Being an aforementioned pedestrian, I walk everywhere I go. I can't fathom the idea of walking out into clean air if there were no smokers. There are too many overly large cars, SUVs, and trucks muddying up the air for me to have a clean breathing experience outside.

Yet, that is an okay pollution. Most naysayers tell us smokers are harming their non-smoking lungs, then climb into their overly large (and unnecessary) vehicles and dump a ton of pollutants into the air. I suppose some may say their vehicles of choice are necessary, or vehicles in general are necessary. I won't disagree. I'm 35 and have never lived in a big city and have never owned a car or even used public transit. I never even learned how to drive but that's neither here nor there. I've structured my life around my desires but still plenty people need their vehicles. Others truly don't. But nearly EVERYONE has one. Which means 95 percent of the Western population is polluting the air I breathe when I simply walk down the street. However, smokers are killing everyone around them? Really?

Second hand smoke was a dangerous problem back in the day when everyone was smoking indoors and those pollutants were gathering in closed, confined spaces. (Think hanging out in a garage with a running car for two weeks...very bad news.) The outdoors is very different. It dissipates very quickly. Much like car fumes. They may smell awful to me, but I notice no health detriments to being around fume/odor-spewing cars all the time. Their fumes fills up FAR more space in my visible view than smokers' yet smokers are killing people. And those cars, more than smokers, make me aware I'm never breathing "clean air." It's the way of the world and how it runs.

Pretending smokers are polluting the air and poisoning people's lungs though? Come on. Really? Let me rephrase that: Pretending smokers are the only thing ruining the air? Last week I was smoking a cigarette in the far corners of a parking lot away from anyone, not taking drags if anyone should venture nearby (because if you're going to smoke there are rules of etiquette that far too many smokers ignore in my opinion) and got the stink eye from someone twenty yard away as she climbed into an overly large SVU and told me I was poisoning the air. Then she started her engine and great plumes of smoke rose from her tailpipe.

I guess my point is, stop pretending one thing is bad and another is good because it's convenient for you. We're all polluting our lungs and our world and our neighbors in some way. You sound ridiculous when you pretend one pollutant is criminally worse than another. Especially when your chosen pollutant makes your life more convenient. And smokers...be respectful and find a corner where you're not inclined to have your habit bump into people. If you're a non-smoker that smell is gnarly.

posted on Jan, 27 2015 @ 11:36 PM
link   
"Your second hand smoke causes cancer!" I shout outside of my Hummer spewing noxious fumes, chugging a 2 liter of Mt. Dew full of aspartame and eating ramen out of a microwaved styrofoam cup with a glob of margarine on top.

But in all seriousness I do think there's some way people can meet in the middle on this.

First off if you don't smoke, cool good for you. Don't go out of your way to belittle someone for doing it cause you walked by them on the side walk. It won't kill you. you'll live, I promise. Calling someone out on it will just make you look like a self important asshat, and possibly just cause a confrontation.

If you do smoke, cool good for you. Try following some basic smokers ettiquette:
Smoke outside obviously,
blow the smoke out either down or up if it's crowded so it doesn't get in anyones faces.
Whenever children walk by I usually hold it up over my head until they pass by
And throw the butts away

posted on Jan, 28 2015 @ 01:26 AM
link   
a reply to: Seamrog

Sorry to hear of your loss. My grandmother died this last summer; wasting away for weeks with a kidney that failed while starving from no feeding tube because people think that it's somehow crueler to put people down when they are at their end. Non-smoker her whole life. Yet she died. How odd.

I've lost close friends in their 20's to cancer and watched them slowly suffer from the chemicals of chemotherapy until the inevitable happened.

Over 3000 people of all ages and health die in this world from car accidents every day. And I can't imagine what must be the huge number of animals killed by vehicles on a daily basis. But yeah - go cars!

posted on Jan, 28 2015 @ 04:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: DelMarvel

originally posted by: WarminIndy

I would think you'd be more offended by people who didn't take showers.

But hey, if we stink and that's unpleasant to you, perhaps you could go down to the ghetto and tell everyone there to take a shower, what do you say about that?

Frankly, I'd rather be around someone who doesn't shower regularly than a heavy smoker.

You guys just have no concept of how bad you stink.

And how bad WE stink after hanging around with smokers for even just minutes.

But yes. Smokers reek. Very very badly.

posted on Jan, 28 2015 @ 05:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: FormOfTheLord
I would love to see cigaretts banned and pot legalized FTW!

A let the world become more stupid?

Have you not seen people on that when they are trying to work and then can't work because they can't figure out how to do the most minor tasks?

I've worked with people like that, they get stupider with each puff. And besides, it is still smoked, right?

posted on Jan, 28 2015 @ 05:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: 3danimator2014

originally posted by: DelMarvel

I would think you'd be more offended by people who didn't take showers.

But hey, if we stink and that's unpleasant to you, perhaps you could go down to the ghetto and tell everyone there to take a shower, what do you say about that?

Funny, that wasn't even an issue until the 2000s. I seem to recall that a whole lot of glamorous people smoke and no one accuses them of stinking, but hey, maybe you are hanging around people who stink that don't smoke. I don't know.

Frankly, I'd rather be around someone who doesn't shower regularly than a heavy smoker.

You guys just have no concept of how bad you stink.

And how bad WE stink after hanging around with smokers for even just minutes.

But yes. Smokers reek. Very very badly.

But let's see, famous smokers...Dean Martin, Frank Sinatra, well the whole Rat Pack.
Greer Garson, Myrna Loy, Clint Eastwood, hmmm, the list just will get too long. Mary Tyler Moore, Dick Van Dyke, No one had an issue with that until political correctness became the order of the day.
edit on 1/28/2015 by WarminIndy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 28 2015 @ 06:11 AM
link   
a reply to: LadyGreenEyes

Good for you for recognizing that this goes far far beyond the issue of tobacco.

Everyone acts as though the smoke from tobacco is the CAUSE of disease. This is the impression that public health has put out there and scared everyone to death with. The fact is that, at the very worst, smoke is only correlated with an increased RISK of disease. There is a very very big difference.

Smokers are not MURDERING their children. That is extremism to the point of mental illness

Tired of Control Freaks

posted on Jan, 28 2015 @ 06:20 AM
link   
a reply to: centhwevir1979

newsflash for YOU

Smoking has very big benefits.

The act of oxidizing nicotene (burning) changes nicotene to vitamen B12 (nicotenic acid or niacin as its best known). This is the same vitamin which is added to your bread. However, inhaling B12 in the smoke allows the vitamin to cross the blood brain barrier quite easily.

This effect is responsible for the decreased risk of Alzeimer's and Parkinson's disease. There have been over 50 studies world wide to confirm this. As a non-smoker, you may or may not live about 8 years longer than me but You are more likely to spend those 8 years, drooling in your diapers in some nursing home.

Children exposed of smokers have a far low risk of developing asthma and allergies and spending their entire lives as cripples

Smokers have a higher chance of surviving heart attacks. Nicotene causes rapid capillory growth after any injury
Google "Smoker's Paradox"

Smoking assists in boosting concentration when concentration is required for tasks.

Smoking energizes people.

Smoking is relaxing.

Smoking controls wieght (its no accident that as people quit smoking, they got fatter)

Smoking provides pleasure for those who smoke. Smoking also potentiates other pleasures, like a beer, sex, socializing or just day dreaming.

Tired of Control Freaks

posted on Jan, 28 2015 @ 06:41 AM
link   
a reply to: DelMarvel

Yes that is exactly what I am saying

The association between smoking as lung cancer is simply an association - a statistical observation. There was a now famous court case in England. A man's widow wanted to sue JTI for CAUSING her husband's death by lung cancer. Justice Nimmo Smith was preciding.

For the Plaintiff - there were three rather famous scientists that were called to give evidence that smoking causes Lung cancer. Among these was Sir Doll - the author of the famous Doctor's Study and man to first claim that smoking causes lung cancer.

For the Defense - three scientist who presented evidence into the current state of science on that question

Notice that we are not talking epidimiology here but rather the actual state of science.

At the end of the day - Justice Nimmo was completely contempuous of Richard Doll - he stated that apparently the only evidence that was presented that smoking causes cancer is "BECAUSE WE SAY IT DOES".

www.scotcourts.gov.uk...

You might want to read more about Sir Richard Doll

www.familiesagainstcancer.org...

Tired ofControl Freaks

posted on Jan, 28 2015 @ 06:54 AM
link   
a reply to: regor77

All I care about is that you smoke outdoors. I don't care about vaping. You barely smell anything and study after study has shown that the intoxicants inside the vapor are WAY lower than in smoke. So I don't agree with the whole campaign against vaping thing. I'll stand with you on that. But you have to do me a solid and if you choose to smoke in public, do it outside. That's all I've been asking for and wanting.
edit on 28-1-2015 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 28 2015 @ 06:57 AM
link   

newsflash for YOU

You're in some kind of delusional denial.

Talking about living the last years of your life drooling: You ever been around someone in the last years of their life dying of COPD? I have. My mother in law who was a pack a day smoker. It's the number 3 killer in the U.S. and it's almost always caused by smoking. Not only irrefutable scientific and medical fact but easily confirmed by observation by anyone not blinded to reality by their addiction.

And smoking degrades your quality of life in a lot of ways long before it makes you fatally ill. Once again, easily observable if you've been around heavy smokers.

posted on Jan, 28 2015 @ 07:13 AM
link   
Nice post! thanks for the information.

posted on Jan, 28 2015 @ 07:17 AM
link   

But let's see, famous smokers...Dean Martin, Frank Sinatra, well the whole Rat Pack.

The Rat Pack. Great example there. Dean Martin died of lung cancer, Sinatra died of a heart attack after a long history of heart and breathing problems, Sammy Davis Jr. died of throat cancer and Peter Lawford died of a heart attack at 61. But I suppose their B12 levels were really high.

No one had an issue with that until political correctness became the order of the day.

"Smoking is hateful to the nose, harmful to the brain, and dangerous to the lungs."
King James I

Yeah, no one ever had an issue with smoking before political correctness became the order of the day.

edit on 28-1-2015 by DelMarvel because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 28 2015 @ 08:09 AM
link   

newsflash for YOU

The act of oxidizing nicotene (burning) changes nicotene to vitamen B12 (nicotenic acid or niacin as its best known). This is the same vitamin which is added to your bread. However, inhaling B12 in the smoke allows the vitamin to cross the blood brain barrier quite easily.

This effect is responsible for the decreased risk of Alzeimer's and Parkinson's disease. There have been over 50 studies world wide to confirm this. As a non-smoker, you may or may not live about 8 years longer than me but You are more likely to spend those 8 years, drooling in your diapers in some nursing home.

Children exposed of smokers have a far low risk of developing asthma and allergies and spending their entire lives as cripples

Smokers have a higher chance of surviving heart attacks. Nicotene causes rapid capillory growth after any injury
Google "Smoker's Paradox"

Smoking assists in boosting concentration when concentration is required for tasks.

Smoking energizes people.

Smoking is relaxing.

Smoking controls wieght (its no accident that as people quit smoking, they got fatter)

Smoking provides pleasure for those who smoke. Smoking also potentiates other pleasures, like a beer, sex, socializing or just day dreaming.

Tired of Control Freaks

Jesus Christ. You can't actually believe this can you?

I am shocked. You must be trolling. No one would actually believe any of what you wrote

new topics

top topics

<< 19  20  21    23  24  25 >>

join