It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Smoking Bans - Where will it end?

page: 18
<< 15  16  17    19  20  21 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 27 2015 @ 08:43 AM
link   
Sorry, you don't have the right to tell us to "Vape" and be happy. I'll do what I darn well please as long as it doesn't hurt anyone else. Smoking in an apartment isn't hurting the other apartment dwellers.
a reply to: gortex

posted on Jan, 27 2015 @ 08:47 AM
link   
Sorry, that argument doesn't work. You may smell the smoke from a smoker down the street. It doesn't hurt you one bit. There isn't one study to say that it does and it's just about control. a reply to: ArMaP

posted on Jan, 27 2015 @ 08:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: Poppcocked
POST REMOVED BY STAFF

I don't smoke anymore, but I do have a solution for any and all Fascists that think like you.

Like you actually know better.

edit on Tue Jan 27 2015 by DontTreadOnMe because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 27 2015 @ 09:24 AM
link   
a reply to: WarminIndy

I used to live in another apartment where one guy smoked weed and he stunk up the entire floor, it was really bad.
When I complained to the super, they said they didn't like it either but it was his right.

I disagree, if you live in an apartment you don't have a right to stink it up and make the other residents unhappy.
I feel much better in the apartment I am in right now, the super here won't tolerate that, you smoke weed and stink up your neighbors area, you get warned once, then innovative things are done to make them gone if they do it again.
It's great.
edit on 27-1-2015 by Blue_Jay33 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 27 2015 @ 09:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: DAVID64
a reply to: 3danimator2014

Maybe he/she should stop generalizing ALL smokers as litter bugs. If we're going to get rid of everything offensive and bad for your health, let's shut down the cars and buses first. They contribute to pollution far more than smoking. But that doesn't fit into your little rant, so it's not in the discussion. Right? Right.

We are talking about smoking. If you want to have a discussion about other litter sources then we can start a topic.

posted on Jan, 27 2015 @ 10:30 AM
link   
I don't get why the smoking in public issue is still hotly debated. Practically speaking, it's over. It's not coming back. Enjoy smoking in public while you can because it is only a matter of time. Regardless of whether you live in a jurisdiction of privately funded or publicly funded health care the stakeholders of BOTH systems will continue to force it out of existence. Whether it is the insurance companies in a privately funded system, or the government in the Universal system - smoking will not be tolerated and public opinion on the issue passed the tipping point years ago.

...TL/DR: Choose the hills to you die on. The smoking fight has been lost, the Allies have successfully come ashore, it is only a matter of time.

posted on Jan, 27 2015 @ 10:33 AM
link   
a reply to: TiredofControlFreaks
In Canada, we pay for our health care through taxes. Therefore, when someone gets sick from smoking, we ALL pay.

A man hooked up to a respirator because he has emphazima as a direct result of smoking costs tax payers a fortune. So does cancer treatments, etc.

And no, the tax revenue from cigarette sales comes no where near covering your bad habits strain on our health care system.

I don't make you pay for my habits, don't make me pay for yours.

posted on Jan, 27 2015 @ 11:08 AM
link   

I have to agree 100% that you shouldn't be able to smoke in apartment or condos, it is not fair that non smokers have to smell that terribly nasty habit from other individuals too lazy to go out side. I say this as an ex smoker, smoking F'ing stinks dude and is terribly disgusting.

I also think anyone smoking around their kids needs to be kicked in the balls. You no longer have any excuse to subject your kids to that nonsense.

posted on Jan, 27 2015 @ 11:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: nightbringr
I don't make you pay for my habits, don't make me pay for yours.

Then you apparently are all for the end of socialized medicine and going back to private healthcare...yes?

And that line of yours alone is a contradiction. You are ALL paying for each others habits.

posted on Jan, 27 2015 @ 11:14 AM
link   
I'm not a smoker. I do enjoy a cigar on rare occasions, but I've never been a "smoker" per say. I also grew up in my family's large bar/restaurant here in Michigan that has been successfully in business for over 35 years. The restaurant used to feature smoking sections in both the bar and an additional dining area, but also featured much more non-smoking seating to accommodate those who do not smoke as well as a number of smokers who prefer to eat away from cigarette smoke. I grew up around smokers and non-smokers and definitely had a preference to being with the non-smokers.

A few years ago, Michigan joined a number of other states that banned smoking in all restaurants and bars. This infuriated me. Private businesses such as bars and restaurants legally have a right to refuse service to people. They are not considered public places, but because of that law, owners no longer choose for themselves whether or not they want host patrons who smoke. I find that this issue rarely gets discussed. Businesses should have a right to decide whether or not they want to accommodate smokers. If the business owner chooses to accommodate smokers and it offends non-smokers, there have been countless other restaurants that were non-smoking prior to this law that they can choose from. Freedom allows the business owner his right to choose the same way customers have a right to choose, but that freedom the owner had has been taken away.

posted on Jan, 27 2015 @ 11:16 AM
link   
a reply to: Blue_Jay33

If a Apartment complex or Condo says you can't smoke, then move there. If they have no such rules, then don't. I sealed my doorway because of the few smokers in my place. I don't smell it in my place, though I smell it in the stairway.

There are plenty of simple solutions to fix this issue other than laws dictating what you can and cannot do.

If these laws are enforced, then I am all for going old school and only allowing land holders the right to vote, the rest can pound sand.

See what I mean?

posted on Jan, 27 2015 @ 11:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: TiredofControlFreaks

You know its really really funny in a way. When I first heard about the holocaust, it never occurred to me to wonder at the evilness in men's souls that would cause them to commit such horrific acts.

What I always wondered is how did Hitler manage to make ordinary people hate the jews so badly that they would stand back and watch it happen.

Now I know the answer to that question.

Tired of Control Freaks

OMFG, LOL, ROFL, any others that I can't think of.

You seriously just compared smoking bans to the Holocaust? I am speechless.

Also on a side note, for me it has nothing to do with health effects or second hand smoke. You and everyone else that smokes F'ing STINKS. You smell like an ashtray, your breath smells like an ashtray. I can smell you as soon as you enter the room and then you have the nerve to sit next to me and subject me to your nastiness? If you knew any better you would be embarrassed and apologize to everyone in the room that is sneering at you, but you don't care.

Enough with the dramatics and talking like a slave and comparing this to slavery and the mother F'ing Holocaust (Really bro? Really?) and start acting like an adult and discuss the topic instead of playing it up like a child.

posted on Jan, 27 2015 @ 11:35 AM
link   
a reply to: Seamrog

So only smokers litter? And you are saying non smokers are all smarter? Your one flight, that you're forced to take, burns a hell of a lot of fuel. Stand behind that jet and take a deep breath. Smell good?
I bet you can get that narrow mind through key holes.
Personally, I. Don't. Care. if you like the way I smell. Or my car or house or anything else I have. Can you get that through your head? That there is actually someone who could care less about your opinion? Or does everyone have to ask your permission before they do something that may offend you? Maybe I don't like your cologne/perfume. You gonna stop wearing it? I demand we outlaw perfume and cologne. Some of stinks and that offends me, so it should be illegal.
No, I haven't dropped a butt. Litter bugs are a pet peeve of mine. I even harass other smokers about it. I'm sorry you can't just lump us all together like you seem to want.
I think people who want to make something illegal because it offends them are a bunch of whiny ass cry babies, that need to stay at home, with a clothes pin on their nose. See? I can do it too.
Also, my son is autistic, so your little joke offends me. It should be illegal to post that picture on the internet.

posted on Jan, 27 2015 @ 11:50 AM
link   
a reply to: DAVID64

You do seem perfectly happy to have breath and clothes and stuff that smells like nastiness. It is actually kind of funny to see:

"I know my breath and clothes and car and house smells like garbage, but I like smelling like garbage and I don't care if you like it or not"

I don't disagree that you have the right to smell like garbage if you want, I just don't think you should be able to force me or my place of living smell like it too by smoking in an apartment or condo building. Thats all. Frankly I don't care if you care or not, because you are the minority and I am the majority and I will pretty much always win this scenario. History, science, and time are both on my side, and anti-smoking will almost always prevail.

posted on Jan, 27 2015 @ 12:10 PM
link   
a reply to: sputniksteve

This post will be written in your childish style. You're right, SS, all smoke is nasty, nasty, nasty. We should ban it all, ban the cigarettes, cigars, c annabis (which smells like a skunk has let loose close by), ban barbecue restaurants unless they use liquid smoke only, no wood fireplaces (unless you burn books 'cause they effect my mind too, and they're nasty), no wood stoves (see previous mention of use of books instead) , etc, etc, 'cause it is all nasty!

SS is a very good name for you btw,

STM

edit on 27-1-2015 by seentoomuch because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 27 2015 @ 12:23 PM
link   
a reply to: seentoomuch

You are funny. I am a nazi SS because I think people shouldn't be able to smoke in community buildings? No need to bring up anything else, because I didn't comment on anything else. You are right though, that is so very nazi of me and so very jewish of you. You are the modern day Anne Frank, you just need to write a book about how difficult your life has become as a smoker. HIding away in closets smoking cigs, ducking the "Man" and persecution for your sins.

SOOOOOOO dramatic. So selfish, couldn't care less about anyone or anything other then your god given right to burn cigarettes anywhere and anytime you damn well choose, by God! Still waiting for the argument that the right to smoke cigs anywhere you want was fought for by your grandfathers in Vietnam, WW2, Korea, and WW1. The civil war wasn't about slavery or states rights, it was actually over the North wanting to ban public smoking and the south fighting it because they grew lots of tobacco.

You can even start wearing Che Guevarra shirts.

posted on Jan, 27 2015 @ 12:26 PM
link   
a reply to: seentoomuch

I don't want to breathe your incredibly nasty smoke either.

Why don't I get to choose what I breathe? No one said you can't breathe your awful smoke, we said don't do it around us.

If you actually have a problem with that then woooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooow.

I always forget that smoker's actually want more rights than the rest of us. They want to dictate what we breathe as petty revenge for us asking them, and then making them, smoke somewhere else.

Do you see that difference?

We say, "go do this away from people, like all other forms of toxic pollution. If you want to breathe it, fine, but don't make us breathe it."

You say, "YOU CAN'T TELL US POOR BELEAGURED SMOKERS WHAT TO DO YOU CONTROL FREAKS! I'LL FORCE YOU TO BREATHE POLLUTION IF I WANT!"

You force us to breathe something we don't consent to breathing.

We asked you to move away from us, and then legislated it when you blew smoke in our faces.

It beyond blows my mind that smokers think we're "control freaks" for not letting you control what we breathe.

edit on 27-1-2015 by framedragged because: (no reason given)

edit on 27-1-2015 by framedragged because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 27 2015 @ 12:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: DAVID64
a reply to: Seamrog

they habitually litter everywhere they go.

Wrong AGAIN. I habitually pick up others trash and carry a small tin to keep cigarette butts, rather than throw them on the ground. And, just because I don't want smoker's breath, I carry mints or gum every where.
You generalize smokers as horrible people, bent on ruining your little corner of the world and want everything the way you think it should be. You are the kind of person I would go out of my way to offend, just for your prissy "that offends me so it should be illegal" attitude.

And yet...every sidewalk is littered in butts and every beach i have been to has had a huge number of butts mixed in wit the sand. What you do is irelevant. Good for you for being a good guy, but the proof is right there, everywhere. Smokers litter. Its there for all to see. Every building entrance has butts on floor. It's there for everyone to see

posted on Jan, 27 2015 @ 12:29 PM
link   
a reply to: 3danimator2014

Don't forget about the cig packs and cellophane wrappers.

Butts, packs, and wrappers by far make up the majority of litter that I see, followed by cans.

posted on Jan, 27 2015 @ 12:31 PM
link   
a reply to: sputniksteve

SS,

In all seriousness, what do you think they'll want to ban next after tobacco? It will have set the precedent, so in your tyrant mind what else is nasty to you? Nasty, dirty vegetables grown in your own yard not in a big agr farm? Actual live bugs on leaves are nasty you know. Fireplaces? 'Cause you can smell the smoke outside and it's nasty too? Perfume? Nasty, etc, etc, etc.

Where does it end, you've opened the door . . .

STM

new topics

top topics

<< 15  16  17    19  20  21 >>

join