It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Smoking Bans - Where will it end?

page: 16
<< 13  14  15    17  18  19 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 07:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: neo96
a reply to: TiredofControlFreaks

Is it time for non-smokers to stand up and help defend the rights of a hated minority? Or will you all fall under the hammer with us?

Oh their too busy trying to legalize that other plant that cause's smoke, and criminalize tobacco here.

Oh they will be under the hammer because those same laws effect that 'medicinal' herb.

But Tobacco is a medicinal herb as well. It aids digestion. Slows the onset of Parkinson's and Alzheimer's provides nicotinimide, stops asthma attacks. Acts as an appetite suppressant, Provides stress relief. Has a general protective effect on cells. Aids in peristalsis. Wet tobacco leaf is a sure remedy for piles. Plus many more that I cant think of at the moment. What usually happens when people self medicate with a herb is exactly what is being pulled at the moment. The funny thing is that the nations IQ. is so low now they are taking it.

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 07:35 PM
link   
And, as we speak, here's the $18 million dollar class-action suit commercial - about asbestos.
I wonder how many people got lung cancer from asbestos, but blamed it on 2nd hand smoke because of their job, a neighbor...lol oops.
No $18 million class-action suit for you, you already decided that "probably" you got from the doc was the gospel truth.

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 07:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: KAOStheory
And, as we speak, here's the $18 million dollar class-action suit commercial - about asbestos.
I wonder how many people got lung cancer from asbestos, but blamed it on 2nd hand smoke because of their job, a neighbor...lol oops.
No $18 million class-action suit for you, you already decided that "probably" you got from the doc was the gospel truth.

good question.....the only person i know who has died of lung cancer was a mates father...he died at 55 and never smoke or drank his whole life...in fact made a point to us kids at the time that he could not understand why we partied all the time....

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 08:11 PM
link   
I'll quit smoking when they ban pets (the dander offends my sinuses)

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 09:02 PM
link   
1 in 5 people smoke. They make tax money on it and can now fine them again for smoking in public. They really don't care about your right to have a smoke free environment. It's all about the duckies. I'm glad I quit.

I think people who eat garlic are offensive. No more garlic. I think people who eat super size portions are offensive. Ban super size. I think wife beaters give off a bad message, ban wife beater t-shirts. You better think before they ban something you do. It'll be wrapped in a cause and the clause is you'll pay. Want to buy a slurpee?

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 09:13 PM
link   
First they banned smoking, but I wasn't a smoker, so I didn't mind.
Then they banned Islamic cartoons, but I wasn't a cartoonist, so I didn't mind.
Then they banned guns, but I wasn't a gun owner, so I didn't mind.

Then they banned tofu, but by then there was no-one to object with me.

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 11:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: Poppcocked
Any parent that smokes around their child should be beaten and shot in the face.

Great example of the sheer hypocrisy involved and shows what an out of control scapegoat smoking has become, especially when the ONLY main study performed decades ago that "confirmed" second hand smoke was bad for others and started this hilariously self righteous overload of crap from society, was proven completely bogus very recently. In fact, it is now said that a non-smoker living with a smoker for 30 years shows such a miniscule difference in health than the control group, that it wasn't worth noting.

Of course this will change nothing since the emotion vehemency with which smoking is now being treated is so powerful, no one would be able to stop. To me it's very obvious that people scapegoat on smoking so they can ignore their own transgressions and feel like they have control, all the while forgetting that almost all of them are drivers polluting the planet at large, and oh.... don't forget; the health of every city dweller where deaths related to smog are very equal to tobacco related deaths, oh, except for the fact that tobacco related deaths affect the smokers, not everyone else in the city.

Here in Toronto Ontario, you have to be 20 feet away from an outdoor patio restaurant to smoke, while cars are less than 10 feet away. Hypocrisy much? Hmm, would I rather be in a locked garage with 20 smokers or one running car? You guess!

So...something that kills you in a few minutes in a garage is allowed to drive all over every city in the world, completely unchecked, yet now they're talking about not even smoking on your own balcony because it could 'potentially drift up to another apartment's window.'

And I really hate how just because I smoke, everyone assumes that no matter what else, they must be healthier than I am. As if smoking is the unhealthiest thing you could ever do and trumps everything else. I get these shaking heads of people, "You're so unhealthy to smoke," as they munch on a bag of chips and a coke, unable to climb a flight of stairs, while I work out 2 hours, four times a week, bike everywhere tasting the exhaust in my mouth sometimes from cars.

Oh I could go on, but my cigarette is burning away....

posted on Jan, 27 2015 @ 12:21 AM
link   
I sure hope you support the legalization of at least certain drugs, if not all. Because the hypocrisy of those who get all up and arms about the invasion of their rights to smoke cigarettes freely and yet support the war on drugs makes me seriously laugh. Now, it does seem to me to be a serious violation here if you're talking about limiting those sorts of right for people just because they live in an apartment. However, again, it's hard for me to get too worked up about the restriction of cigarette smokers rights to smoke freely, when smoking a far less dangerous substance, cannabis, can land you in prison.
edit on 27-1-2015 by TheJourney because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 27 2015 @ 12:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
a reply to: Tangerine

So why can't a vaper go out and vape? Again, there is nothing toxic about what they breathe out.

I say this as someone who doesn't and never will smoke. I just think this ridiculous.

What I think is even more ridiculous is that they will never, ever just make tobacco illegal. They can't. It makes them too much money off of taxes. So instead they just make it illegal for you to use it anywhere.

Let's not forget that it was anti-tobacco legislation that indirectly led to Michael Garner's death.

The taxes on cigs is around 300% in the U.S. I personally quit smoking myself 2 years ago to avoid paying the taxes but only because the bulk of the taxes are going to support a new stadium for our local professional football team. In a non-smoking stadium!!! If you want to leave to smoke you are not permitted back in. Meanwhile all the happy go lucky non-smokers are getting drunk and spilling beer on themselves and anyone nearby. Happened to me both times my wife made me attend a game with her. Plus I HATE football. I am supposed to give up my enjoyment for others and pay for it too. Unreal!!

edit on 27-1-2015 by regor77 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 27 2015 @ 01:08 AM
link   

I hate using the Godwin thing, but man smokers rights verses jews and nazi's is really a Godwin thing, sorry.

I don't feel sorry for smokers at all, they pollute the air and it stinks.
But I agree they should be allowed to do it in their own house, as an apartment dweller myself, I know my apartment complex is pushing for 100% smoke free, I hope they get it.

posted on Jan, 27 2015 @ 01:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: DelMarvel

originally posted by: randomtangentsrme

originally posted by: Tangerine
If you can figure out a way to smoke in public and not exhale while no smoke escapes from your cigarette, go for it.

And if you can site something that proves exhaling smoke is a detriment to those around them. . . Maybe we will listen

If you're talking about detriments to health, for the sake of argument let's say you're right. It doesn't make any difference.

Tobacco smoke also creates a significant effect on the personal environment of those around it which is extremely unpleasant to many people. Those who smoke have no recognition of this because they are desensitized by their habit and they would never put up with a similar intrusion on their space. Why do you think the majority of landlords do not allow smoking? It's because it's close to impossible to rent to non-smokers afterward because of the stench. And that persists long after the smokers are gone. In public it's no different in principle than someone shouting in your ear. Below a certain decibel level you couldn't cite anything to prove that is "a detriment" to anyone, either.
If you list the apt. as a smoking apt. you will rent it easily. Just sayin.

posted on Jan, 27 2015 @ 02:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: EternalSolace
If you own your home, then no one should be able to dictate what you can or cannot do.

However, living in an apartment building, or being in a restaurant, or in a mall, I don't want to breath that stuff in. I don't want to smell it. I don't want any part of it. What you do to yourself, is your own business. But when what you do effects me and my health, then there's a problem.

Simple solution: If you walk in to a restaurant and people are smoking then you leave and go to another one.
If the owner of the restaurant think they are losing business because of this then he will make it non smoking...if not then smoke on. No need for laws.

As far as the workers same issue. I have never seen some one beaten, dragged in and force to work at a store.

I smoke cigars. When i'm out I sit away from others and do it, or ask if they mind if in close areas.

We all need to get a grip.

What next I don't like that perfume, soap, candle because of the smell?

posted on Jan, 27 2015 @ 02:46 AM
link   
Most smokers are addicts and they act like addicts.

posted on Jan, 27 2015 @ 03:15 AM
link   

When will it end when it comes to smoking?

When it's over, when they have been pushed completely out of society as a whole. The "War on Smoking" has been a Zero-Sum game since day one.

posted on Jan, 27 2015 @ 03:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: beezzer
I'll quit smoking when they ban pets (the dander offends my sinuses)

Why should people that are affected by your smoke be "hostages" of somebody else's actions?

I could understand that if those affected by pet dander were the same complaining about your smoke, but if they aren't then you are acting as a bully to innocent people just because you were bullied by someone else.

posted on Jan, 27 2015 @ 03:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: TiredofControlFreaks
a reply to: Poppcocked

How about parents who allow thier children to get fat? Or not get enough exercise? Or those who fail to get them vacinnated? Or refuse to put them on medication for hyperactivity because the teacher asked them ?

Should they also be shot in the face and beaten?

Or is this particular punishment reserved only for smokers?

Does this treatment apply to all parents who refuse to follow public health "advice"

Tired of Control Freaks

I love you man. Really.

posted on Jan, 27 2015 @ 03:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: LOSTinAMERICA
1 in 5 people smoke. They make tax money on it and can now fine them again for smoking in public. They really don't care about your right to have a smoke free environment. It's all about the duckies. I'm glad I quit.

I'm sure it plays a large part of it all, if not 100%.

I think people who eat garlic are offensive. No more garlic.

Are you a vampire?

posted on Jan, 27 2015 @ 03:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: thebtheb
So...something that kills you in a few minutes in a garage is allowed to drive all over every city in the world, completely unchecked, yet now they're talking about not even smoking on your own balcony because it could 'potentially drift up to another apartment's window.'

What kills a person inside a garage with a car with the engine running is the CO2, the same thing that would kill that person if too many people were there, consuming the oxygen and releasing CO2.

posted on Jan, 27 2015 @ 03:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: dismanrc
I smoke cigars.

One interesting thing, cigar smoke affects me less than cigarette smoke.

posted on Jan, 27 2015 @ 05:33 AM
link   
a reply to: ArMaP

They used to have peanut coated doughnuts in the bakeries. man I loved those things!! I have not seen on in a long time! They don't seem to make them anymore since so many became allergic to the peanuts.

I have to wonder...
Just what was it that suddenly made so many people allergic to peanuts that companies had to stop using them to make things like peanut doughnuts and schools to ban them???

edit on 27-1-2015 by dawnstar because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 13  14  15    17  18  19 >>

join