It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Stat-checking; how many firearms do you own?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 25 2015 @ 12:51 PM
link   
I've been reading ATS for a few years, and only recently started posting.

One thing I'm tired of reading is the statistic of how many guns there are in the US.

The anti-gun crowd like to spout things like "One gun for every man, woman and child" in this country, and even the wiki says there's about nine guns for every ten people.

This provides a false image that just about everyone is armed. I'd like fellow ATS members to do a quick count in their head of how many people they know, and roughly how many guns each person owns.

I did this, and came up with X people that I know well enough (Only counting people over the age of 18) to have an idea of how many firearms they own.
The statistics I came up with:
100% of the firearms in this group are owned by roughly 33% of the people.
This leaves approximately 66% of the people I'm close to without a firearm.
Approximately 92% of these firearms are owned by approximately 18% of these people.
Of the people on this list, on average, everyone owns about 2.4 guns each.
About 77% of these firearms are owned but just ONE person. (He's not me, if you're wondering)
--Just to be fair, I do not live in a gun-rich part of the country.

The conclusion that I've come to is that your typical gun owners fall into two categories- they've got one gun for whatever reason, or they've got 5+ guns.

A quick search online for "how many guns do you own" (obviously a bias population) I'm coming up with numbers closer to 8 firearms per firearm owner.

What I'm getting at here is I'd like a more accurate number of just how many people in the US, which is known worldwide as the place where everyone has a gun, actually has a gun.
If the average firearm owner has three firearms, and there are nine guns for every ten people in a country with 316m people, that puts all of the firearms in roughly 30% of the populations hands.

Change that average to five firearms per firearm owner (which I suspect might be more accurate) and that drops the number to about 18%.

If my fellow ATS members don't mind, I'd like to get a better feel for roughly how many firearms a typical firearm owner owns. From there I can better speculate just how many
My gut tells me that around here, less than ten percent of the population owns a firearm. I'm worried this statistic might be fairly accurate for the rest of the country as well.
If that's the case, then the anti-gun propaganda is doing a much better job than I thought.

Please let's try to keep this thread on topic- we don't need yet another debate about gun control- I'm just trying to get a better handle on some numbers.

posted on Jan, 25 2015 @ 12:53 PM
link   

My friend is constantly telling me to get something, I just can't afford a nice handgun, license, & carry strap atm

Apparently Big 5 has $200 shotguns. Pretty cheap actually.

+1 more 
posted on Jan, 25 2015 @ 12:58 PM
link   
a reply to: lordcomac

I don't really think anyone here, with any sense, will list how many weapons they own. They might say they do own a gun(s), but that's about it. No one should EVER declare how many firearms they own.
edit on 1/25/2015 by EternalSolace because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2015 @ 01:05 PM
link   
Where I live,I don`t know of a single person that doesn`t have a gun.

posted on Jan, 25 2015 @ 01:08 PM
link   
I lost count long ago. Probably >50, if you count everything you could shoot at least one time. Three big safes plus a gun cabinet inside plus whatever's scattered through the house and vehicles.

posted on Jan, 25 2015 @ 01:08 PM
link   
I have just enough. I do not need any of these new impressive looking military style guns. As long as they shoot bullets and I can hit what I shoot at with them they are fine. Those Raccoons can be pretty destructive sometimes and the deer sure do taste good. Wild rabbit and partridge do make make a good soup too.

This thread made me hungry.

posted on Jan, 25 2015 @ 01:09 PM
link   
In my little circle at least 2 a piece.

ETA: I don't personally know anyone that doesn't own at least 1. And that is out of 25 or 30 people.
edit on 1 25 2015 by stosh64 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2015 @ 01:14 PM
link   

I can say I can only think of one neighbor that doesn't own.( I think, he doesn't) He very old and a Hindu immigrant. The rest? We have more than one...and we are WAY under-armed compared to my neighbors.

I'd say your premise is accurate, more or less. I'd also say it isn't germane to anything other than the hope that, politically, lesser numbers of owners plays into the anti-gun crowd's hands, vote-wise.

Other than that, I hope your correct. If/when the SHTF, then less armed people there are increases my family's chances of survival..

edit on 25-1-2015 by nwtrucker because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2015 @ 01:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: Eunuchorn

My friend is constantly telling me to get something, I just can't afford a nice handgun, license, & carry strap atm

Apparently Big 5 has $200 shotguns. Pretty cheap actually.

You could ask your father or an uncle if they have one you could buy reasonable that they do not use anymore.

posted on Jan, 25 2015 @ 01:17 PM
link   
Zero.

I think they all got lost.

posted on Jan, 25 2015 @ 01:18 PM
link   

Does that really matter when the American people purchased enough weapons and ammo to outfit the whole Chinese and Russian army TWICE in 6 years? lol. That was already on top of the massive amount owned and doing that before when Janet Reno was scaring the crap out of us under the Clinton administration and her Ruby Ridge, Wako assaults on innocents.

If this or any other Government for that matter comes against the people of America, it will be like a swarm of African Honey Bees on a poor rabbit who jumped into the wrong tree truck hole or like Iraq times 100 at its most deadliest time for the Government who tries.

Nobody will ever know the true numbers but it is a massive amount in any areas of this country never mind the inner city gangs. Most people smartly will not even admit they own a gun today.

posted on Jan, 25 2015 @ 01:18 PM
link   

!collectingmetadata
!giveupmetadataforfree
!carefulwhat youwishfor

posted on Jan, 25 2015 @ 01:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse
I have just enough. I do not need any of these new impressive looking military style guns. As long as they shoot bullets and I can hit what I shoot at with them they are fine. Those Raccoons can be pretty destructive sometimes and the deer sure do taste good. Wild rabbit and partridge do make make a good soup too.

This post made me extremely hungry.

I live in California & as far as I know, nobody has any guns LoL

My father is very anti gun for whatever reason, & I don't know any of my uncles. SOL

I'm hoping to move to Austin March/April. Grew up in Dallas.
edit on 25-1-2015 by Eunuchorn because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2015 @ 01:20 PM
link   
a reply to: Bedlam
That was not very smart, just saying! You might want to bug out now lol.

posted on Jan, 25 2015 @ 01:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sunwolf
Where I live,I don`t know of a single person that doesn`t have a gun.

Roger that, with an add on: gun(S)

posted on Jan, 25 2015 @ 01:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: lordcomac
I've been reading ATS for a few years, and only recently started posting.

One thing I'm tired of reading is the statistic of how many guns there are in the US.

The anti-gun crowd like to spout things like "One gun for every man, woman and child" in this country, and even the wiki says there's about nine guns for every ten people.

This provides a false image that just about everyone is armed. I'd like fellow ATS members to do a quick count in their head of how many people they know, and roughly how many guns each person owns.

I did this, and came up with X people that I know well enough (Only counting people over the age of 18) to have an idea of how many firearms they own.
The statistics I came up with:
100% of the firearms in this group are owned by roughly 33% of the people.
This leaves approximately 66% of the people I'm close to without a firearm.
Approximately 92% of these firearms are owned by approximately 18% of these people.
Of the people on this list, on average, everyone owns about 2.4 guns each.
About 77% of these firearms are owned but just ONE person. (He's not me, if you're wondering)
--Just to be fair, I do not live in a gun-rich part of the country.

The conclusion that I've come to is that your typical gun owners fall into two categories- they've got one gun for whatever reason, or they've got 5+ guns.

A quick search online for "how many guns do you own" (obviously a bias population) I'm coming up with numbers closer to 8 firearms per firearm owner.

What I'm getting at here is I'd like a more accurate number of just how many people in the US, which is known worldwide as the place where everyone has a gun, actually has a gun.
If the average firearm owner has three firearms, and there are nine guns for every ten people in a country with 316m people, that puts all of the firearms in roughly 30% of the populations hands.

Change that average to five firearms per firearm owner (which I suspect might be more accurate) and that drops the number to about 18%.

If my fellow ATS members don't mind, I'd like to get a better feel for roughly how many firearms a typical firearm owner owns. From there I can better speculate just how many
My gut tells me that around here, less than ten percent of the population owns a firearm. I'm worried this statistic might be fairly accurate for the rest of the country as well.
If that's the case, then the anti-gun propaganda is doing a much better job than I thought.

Please let's try to keep this thread on topic- we don't need yet another debate about gun control- I'm just trying to get a better handle on some numbers.

I like your informal numbers - and I imagine they are pretty accurate. Being among those who don't have a lot of friends with firearms, I can't corroborate your numbers.

It will be interesting to hear if other's knowlege on the subject is similar to yours.

A good thread.

posted on Jan, 25 2015 @ 01:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: Eunuchorn

originally posted by: rickymouse

This post made me extremely hungry.

I live in California & as far as I know, nobody has any guns LoL

My father is very anti gun for whatever reason, & I don't know any of my uncles. SOL

I'm hoping to move to Austin March/April. Grew up in Dallas.

Wow, I would never want to live in California, I would have to give up my family's guns to fit into that society. I am going to pass them down to my kids and grandkids someday, but only if I can trust them to use them wisely. If they want them just to sell them, they won't get them, they are older guns and have been in the family for generations. I'll stay here in the U.P with the Yoopers.

posted on Jan, 25 2015 @ 01:29 PM
link   
Is anyone going to be so stupid as to put that information up. Who knows who's reading the information or for that matter who is asking the question. I wait in anticipation.

posted on Jan, 25 2015 @ 01:32 PM
link   
More the most and less than some. In my circle of friends I don't know anyone without at least one weapon. My family and I shoot regularly at the local range, and my grand daughters can ware it out with their pink AR-15.

posted on Jan, 25 2015 @ 01:39 PM
link   
I live in south Texas. I'm trying to think of anyone I know who doesn't have at least one gun for home defense. I'm drawing a blank.
Most people I know that hunt have at least 4 guns.
A pistol for defense, a shotgun for birds, a .22 for squirrel and other assorted varmints, and a rifle for larger game.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join