It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Republicans Suddenly Interested in Income Inequality

page: 7
<< 4  5  6   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 07:34 PM
link   
hopefully this signifies the beginning of a change.

I had an idea recently that the issue in american politics is this.

we have a party that has both "social-left" and "economic-left" ideals in it's platform.
and a party that has "social-right" and "economic-right" ideals in it's platform.
though ultimately both are corrupt to the core, and hardly stick to their guns when it's not election season.

it's been this way since the end of the 1960's really...

before then; it worked a bit differently.

anyway my point is to say that a return to this sort of model, with

a socially-conservative, but economically-left-wing party with populist tendencies. (prudish/religious/god-fearing blue-collar-workers)

plus

a party that's "liberal"(in the original sense of the word, freedom for good or ill). (hedonistic captains of industry, minority-groups etc.)

would be a proper start. it would mean that we have actual choice, or realistic-choice anyway, still between two unsavory sides, but they'd be somewhat more-able to actually do what they said they need to do.

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 08:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen
a reply to: debonkers

You could be right or you could be wrong.....

Companies Paying the Most (and Least) Taxes

Companies paying the most in income taxes

1. ExxonMobil
• Income tax expense: $31.05 billion
• Earnings before taxes: $78.73 billion
• Revenue: $428.38 billion
•1-year share price change: 6.56%
• Industry: Oil and gas

They pass the cost onto the Consumers to pay the taxes so the 99% still pays the most taxes.

The only way to touch the elite and make them pay taxes is to raise the taxes on the profits made from capital gains which is where they stash all their money.
edit on 26-1-2015 by jacobe001 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 09:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: butcherguy
a reply to: neo96

I see a lot of people paying more money for health care, when we were promised savings.

That money isn't coming from the rich and it isn't benefiting any of the rest.

I live in Kentucky, an otherwise red state that took the ACA with open arms and created a very working online healthcare exchange, kynect. My healthcare costs nosedived to $10 a month with 100% coverage after a $500 deductible, which is also taken care of by a secondary insurance. This has been an issue close to my heart, as my wifes job is to help people in Kentucky get coverage. Those who say they have seen so much as a $1 increase in their heatlh care costs fall into two categories.

1. They don't understand how to use the system.
2. They make an absurd amount of money and are very wealthy, despite not believing that they are.

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 09:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: Jamie1

originally posted by: BlueMule
Income inequality would almost certainly be worse today if we had a Republican president, according to an “exclusive analysis by the nonpartisan Tax Policy Center, conducted at the request of The Washington Post” in July 2014, “that compared today’s income distribution with what it would look like if President George W. Bush’s tax policies were still in place.”

www.politicususa.com...

I can't believe people are falling for republican b.s.. they are a party of deception, obstruction, and greed.

👣

It's not income inequality that's the problem.

It's adding value inequality that's the problem.

A guy flipping french fries all day isn't adding much value.

A guy who started his own business and employs 100 employees adds a lot more value to society.

Why should their incomes be equal?

Why does the guy flipping fries not deserve enough income to feed and shelter himself?

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 09:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: neo96

originally posted by: Flatfish

Seriously ?

How can a minority block ANYTHING ?

Answer THEY CAN'T.

That's a bald faced lie and you know it.

Just wait, next week you'll be ranting on and on when one man, (a minority in almost any room) rightfully vetoes the hell out of your precious Keystone pipeline legislation.

Bold face lie eh ?

The Democratic Party controlled a majority in both chambers for the first time since the end of the 103rd Congress in 1995. A

en.wikipedia.org...

110th congress.

Democratic MAJORITIES.

Both House, and Senate.

The more I read posts from you, the more I pity you. You clearly have no idea how government works. The Republican party broke records in how often it used the filibuster to block everything democrats wanted to do in both houses. The only reason the ACA passed was the supermajority in the House under Pelosi. You are obviously very angry and ill informed.

posted on Jan, 27 2015 @ 03:37 AM
link   
Of course they are backtracking: the election is over. Time to govern. They won control of both sides of the House and now have to get to work. They wont dismantle a single thing.

posted on Jan, 27 2015 @ 11:06 AM
link   
a reply to: theMediator

You should NOT be paid more on hard work alone. A person who digs holes with a shovel all day undoubtedly works hard, but his labor is near useless. You are paid by your production and the value you create, and that's how it should be.

posted on Jan, 27 2015 @ 12:01 PM
link   
By definition not everybody can be rich, for rich is somebody who posses significantly more wealth than his fellow citizens do on average. What we need is to strive to make as good a life as possible for the masses. In part that has been achieved in America. As a burgerflipper you have access to some very basic healthcare in America, eating meat and chocclate isnt something out of your reach and I bet there are very few employed people who go through a winter freezing.

The other measure that is needed to keep the divide in check is inflation. And here America is lacking. Inflation closes the gape between existing wealth and wealth acquired ad hoc, through wages for example and it reduces to some extend existing debts too. Sadly the poor are used as a safeguard against inflation rather than anything else, instead of allowing them to enjoy fairly regular wage increases, which drive inflation and help lessen the gap between the haves and have nots.

posted on Jan, 27 2015 @ 12:32 PM
link   
a reply to: Merinda

So are you trying to tell us the driving force of inflation is increasing minimum wage?

Not really sure what you are getting at. Seems like the word 'burger flipper' is thrown around a lot when talking about the working poor. Why is that?
edit on 27-1-2015 by jrod because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 27 2015 @ 12:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: theMediator

Different work. Different pay.

Indeed, the harder the work, the worst the pay.
That right there is inequality and that's exactly how our upside down world works.

On top of that, people that move up in ranks go on until they suck at what they do, hence why they stopped going up in ranks. So we have a world full of incompetent superiors that make more money than the people under them for doing a #ty job.

It's for reasons like this that humans are barely more than animals.

You have a basic misunderstanding of what makes a job valuable. People get paid for their skills and how their skills can enrich a company, not how hard a job is.

edit on 27-1-2015 by Dr0neT3k because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 27 2015 @ 12:55 PM
link   
a reply to: Dr0neT3k

One problem that is seldom talked about in the American work force is apathy and laziness. I know more than a handful of people who simply go to work, do the bare minimum, yet some how think they are not replaceable. This is where I agree with Right to Work states in the US.

An employer should have no problem in firing an employee who is not helping the company.

posted on Jan, 27 2015 @ 06:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: jrod
a reply to: Merinda

So are you trying to tell us the driving force of inflation is increasing minimum wage?

Not really sure what you are getting at. Seems like the word 'burger flipper' is thrown around a lot when talking about the working poor. Why is that?

Yes, increasing wages sustains inflation. That should be self explanatory. Its the archetypical job associated with the working poor, but I guess there are many many jobs that dont earn people enough to sustain themselves.

posted on Jan, 28 2015 @ 11:20 AM
link   
"Fixing" income inequality is not a function of government.

There is no Constitutional authorization for such a ridiculous idea, and if people are unhappy with their income, the solution isnt to take from some to give to another. Want more money? Then make yourself more valuable.

posted on Jan, 28 2015 @ 02:29 PM
link   
Yeah people are lazy. If you want to get paid more money, then work hard, become rich, and maybe one day you can buy your own government. That's the new 'merica. Get used to it. If you're not top first percent, you're bottom last.

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 12:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: spiritualzombie
Yeah people are lazy. If you want to get paid more money, then work hard, become rich, and maybe one day you can buy your own government. That's the new 'merica. Get used to it. If you're not top first percent, you're bottom last.

It sounds to me like you've defeated yourself. Dont blame "rich" people.

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 08:23 PM
link   
a reply to: neo96

Fortune in this context means one's chances of success or failure over an extended period of time, not money.

"Fixing" income inequality is not a function of government.

There is no Constitutional authorization for such a ridiculous idea, and if people are unhappy with their income, the solution isnt to take from some to give to another. Want more money? Then make yourself more valuable.

Hello? It's called income tax. Last I checked, there was a huge, glaring authorization of such a scheme in the Constitution.
edit on 12-2-2015 by citizenlambda because: derp

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6   >>

join