It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Republicans Suddenly Interested in Income Inequality

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 25 2015 @ 07:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: Jamie1

Accusing the "rich" of being evil and wanting to steal money when that accusation is rooted in their own jealously and envy. Then they justify taking other people's money for themselves because somehow they've declared that the "rich" don't deserve it but they do deserve it.

You are using the same techniques used by timeshare salesmen. Use emotional attacks when you don't have facts to back it up.

People haven't somehow declared the rich don't deserve it. They have seen have the 1% can manipulate the system in order to transfer wealth to very few people. The value or property and pension plans didn't just disappear. The ultra rich knew what they were doing. The laws were manipulated by promising jobs and money to law makers.

When Walmart decided not to pay health insurance and a living wage, they knew decent moral people wouldn't let children starve to death or die from lack of medical care. They knew they could transfer the cost to taxpayers by simply not paying health insurance. It help when your employees aren't sickly or starving.

posted on Jan, 25 2015 @ 08:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: Aloysius the Gaul
a reply to: neo96

I prefer to think of it as the Rich paying for a society where the poor do not have to rob from them.

In the very near future you know what I see?
The Wealthy Cronies in bed with Big Government lobbying to put an end to Freedom of Speech so that this issue can be shut up once and for all. They lobby for everything else so might as well.

posted on Jan, 25 2015 @ 08:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: debonkers

originally posted by: rickymouse
The reason they are noticing is because the super rich are taking their money out of the country creating a problem. The Republicans finally wised up and are seeing reality. They aren't getting any tax money from the major part of the money out there, it is not creating many jobs here anymore.

It might be a little late but it is better late than never.

You're giving them far too much credit. They are not the least bit concerned with income inequality, in fact, it is an essential element of their agenda. They are simply doing what they do best, lying to gain political advantage.

David Rockefeller Quote

The supranational sovereignty of an intellectual elite and world bankers is surely preferable to the national auto-determination practiced in past centuries.

posted on Jan, 25 2015 @ 08:43 PM
link   
You can't squeeze all the time. You have to let the peasants balls go to recharge the brainwashing. Can't have world-wide riots after all. Here's to a few years of prosperity and then it'll start all over again. The circle of life. The indoctrination has been seeded. We just have to wait until it bares fruit.

posted on Jan, 25 2015 @ 09:59 PM
link   
a reply to: Flatfish

The level of ignorance you continually display here on ATS, coupled with the outright lies you propagate, is just mind-boggling

Yeah the level ignorance continually on display on ATS is mind boggling.

And YES someone is lying, and propagating them not me though.

If the minority party which the republicans were from 2006 to 2010 HOW THE HELL did we end up with the ACA ?

Not a single one of them voted for it.

And even after the Democrats changed the filibuster rules They still whine about the right.

Others chose to whine about posters.

edit on 25-1-2015 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2015 @ 10:28 PM
link   
If democrats have recognized it for years then why has it steadily been worsening for the last 10 years? Recognizing, lip service, & saying what voters want to hear is about the limit of democrats fixing income equality. Detroit was 100% democrat controlled for years and they did a real fine job over there. XD Democrats are as sleazy as republicans. Just look at one of the top democrats in Nyc where I live. Robbing & Stealing while being praised as a Democrat hero all those years.
edit on -06:00Sun, 25 Jan 2015 22:28:51 -060028v28SundayAmerica/Chicago10America/Chicago25 by PrivilegedPeasant because: missing a word

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 12:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: BlueMule

originally posted by: jrod
a reply to: Jamie1

Thou shalt not commit logic fallacies!

All you did there was demonize the poor with faulty logic.

Well, that's not ALL Jamie did there. (S)he also showed herself to be a heartless ignorant fool.

👣

A poor person doesn't give other people jobs, pays no taxes to contribute to society, and doesn't contribute to charitable causes but instead takes from them.

What's heartless and ignorant is telling a poor person to blame somebody else for their poverty.

This is simply false, the poor and working poor pay far more in taxes than do the extremely wealthy. Billionaire Warren Buffet admitted that he pays less in taxes than his secretary does, who earns less than $30,000 a year.

And corporations like Exxon Mobil reap profits for their shareholders nearing a quarter of a trillion dollars, yet pay no taxes whatsoever, far less than I pay.

Furthermore, money earned by the poor and working poor benefits society far more than does money earned by the rich.
The poor spend all or nearly all of what they earn immediately: for rent, food, clothing, car payments, phone bills, a movie and pizza, etc., and they pay sales tax on most of it too.

And this stimulates the economy. Immediately, and vitally, it is the lifeblood of our economy.

Far more beneficial than the earnings of the rich, who sock away most of the money that they earn, removing their accumulating wealth from the economy, while taking advantage of tax loopholes and off-shore accounts to avoid paying taxes on any of it.

Where you get some of these notions is beyond me, but they seem to run contrary to the world in which we live.
edit on 26-1-2015 by debonkers because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 01:06 AM
link   
a reply to: debonkers

You could be right or you could be wrong.....

Companies Paying the Most (and Least) Taxes

Companies paying the most in income taxes

1. ExxonMobil
• Income tax expense: $31.05 billion
• Earnings before taxes: $78.73 billion
• Revenue: $428.38 billion
•1-year share price change: 6.56%
• Industry: Oil and gas

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 01:09 AM
link   

Furthermore, money earned by the poor and working poor benefits society far more than does money earned by the rich.

Where do you think this money comes from?

Who pays the wages of the poor and working poor? Other poor people?

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 01:36 AM
link   

Government.

That get's it from the federal reserve that prints it out of thin air.

To the tune of TRILLIONS. That devalues the dollar.

That makes the cost of living HIGHER.

Wages lower.

Takes more of it to live.

Of course people living beyond their means factors in to that equation.

I disgress back to richaphobia.

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 01:47 AM
link   

Who pays the wages of the poor and working poor? Other poor people?

Quite often, because most small business owners are far from rich.

Rich people would not be rich people without the labor force. It is the worker that earns the money, not the other way around. His hard work brings in the money: the farmers, factory workers, truck drivers, cashiers, baristas, janitors, security guards, managers.

Let's see the billionaire Walton family do all the work at even ONE walmart. They are penniless and powerless without us working there, and shopping there.

We owe nothing to the "job providers", they owe everything to the "work providers".
edit on 26-1-2015 by debonkers because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 07:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: CB328
This is a great editorial, suddenly as we have major elections approaching several high-profile Republicans are talking about income inequality that Democrats have recognized as an important issue for years. Somehow though, the republicans are trying to blame it on Obama (like everything else). How they can be so hypocritical is beyond me when for years they've been saying that inequality is good or not a problem (because it makes them rich).

seattletimes.com...

Anyone with a modicum of critical thinking knows that it is due to several things: 1) deregulations during the Reagan era 2) Lowering taxes on the wealthy 3) Cutting or failing to improve critical investments such as health care, nutrition, and EDUCATION that are extremely well researched by economists to correlate with economic returns for society 4) Failing through regulations to require real wages to match inflation and growth of higher class income. For the record, in the majority of industries real wages for the lower and middle class have not grown in 20-30 years.

Republicans can't magically reinvent themselves except to fools. The Republicans have supported the very policies that led us to extreme income inequality. They ARE those who are pro-rich and anti-poor.

For the Republicans who are on here, if you don't know that about your party, what i am saying about those policies is true. Take a a real look at what the real agenda of your party is.

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 08:52 AM
link   
a reply to: CB328

No. That's not true at all, but I'm not surprised a liberal doesn't understand conservative values. Income inequality isn't solved by taking money from the rich and giving to the poor. It's solved by giving the poor more opportunities to prop themselves up.

Some people choose to live a more spiritual life, some people chose to not set themselves up in their formidable years to become successful later in life, some people choose not to work 24/7 and instead spend most of their time enjoying other aspects in life.

There are so many factors in income equality that no one thing is going to fix it.

Obama has destroyed the economy, unless you count low-wage temp jobs, the lowest labor participation we've seen in a while, and the average middle class family income down $4000, as progress.

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 08:55 AM
link   
a reply to: Quetzalcoatl14

The Republicans opened up the playing field for people to be successful. Like it or not, it's that fact that some are more ambitious than others financially that has led to this inequality.

It's the people, not the law. You really think spreading money around will magically make these people more ambitious? Do you think spreading the money around FROM a centralized governing body will even be fairly distributed/not wasted?

You need to change how you think, if it all does come crashing down, your dependent way of life won't cut it.

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 10:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: f4rwest
a reply to: Quetzalcoatl14

The Republicans opened up the playing field for people to be successful. Like it or not, it's that fact that some are more ambitious than others financially that has led to this inequality.

It's the people, not the law. You really think spreading money around will magically make these people more ambitious? Do you think spreading the money around FROM a centralized governing body will even be fairly distributed/not wasted?

You need to change how you think, if it all does come crashing down, your dependent way of life won't cut it.

What you just said is called "the Myth of the meritocracy," that present wealth, success, inequality, poverty, etc, is due to merit or hard work, that there are no barriers to success and social mobility .It is very well researched to be false by legions of economic studies.

Investing money in such things as nutrition, health care, education, infrastructure, have all been proven to pay far more back dollar for dollar to everyone than not doing so. Economic facts.

The Republicans decided to deregulate a lot of things and UNLEVEL the playing field, trying to tell people that if the wealthy get wealthier it would "trickle down." Trickle Down Economics has been shown to fail.

The country had less income inequality and better funding and less debt for all of these when the wealthy were taxed more.

Real wages have not risen for almost everyone excepting the 1%.

Many corporations are paying zero taxes. Yet, on both counts, corporations are posting record profits. The CEO/worker pay ratio has increased by many multiples over the past 30 years, again due to the fact that the wages for the upper class continue to rise while lower and middle class have remained stagnant.

Basically, corporations and the wealthy quite simply are not sharing the wealth created by companies that are supported and worked by countless other people. Corporations and industries often subsidized by our government and tax money. Industries that require all of the police, fire, roads, educated workforce, you name it.

The wealthy are using such companies, which again are only possible with the hard labor of the workforce AND the public system, to EXTRACT money and resources from nature, the government, and the people. Yet somehow people like you think "they earned it by just working harder." LOL

Thanks for playing. Turn off fox news.

Finally, I am not "dependent." You see, some people actually fight for social justice without needing it themselves. It's called, being a good person. I have three degrees and am an international development professional, not some welfare dependent like you just tried to imply.
edit on 26-1-2015 by Quetzalcoatl14 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 02:32 PM
link   
Every politician has to have SOME type of repertoire.
The Demoncrats have always postured as friends to the working class. This included the poor and the middle-class. Economics and a lessening of disparity in income was a constant plaint.

The Repulsicans have never hid their disdain for these people.

It was never a class warfare issue to the more liberal. It has always been a call for class warfare to the right-wing, Ayn Rand worshipers. Actual equality in opportunity has always been a portion of the Elite's anti-agenda.

Point out to me how they have lived up to conceptual fraternity, except as another means to discriminate in College and contacts?

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 02:35 PM
link   
a reply to: f4rwest

Please explain how the Repulsicans have promoted anything but big, no wait, HUGE business interests. Even the farming policies that they have advocated just has led to further limiting of ownership.

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 02:35 PM
link   
a reply to: f4rwest

Please explain how the Repulsicans have promoted anything but big, no wait, HUGE business interests. Even the farming policies that they have advocated just has led to further limiting of ownership.

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 06:05 PM
link   
Oh wow. Republican's want income equality? Let me fall out of my chair and laugh my left lung out. I wonder if they got that idea from their crony business buddies. Which merely served as a good laugh at first.

They could care less about what's fair and what isn't. The only reason the big time Republicans would do this is very simple. VOTES! Guess who has income problems? The middle class and the poor. These two groups of people make up a huge majority, nearly all, of the people in the country. Doesn't take a marketing genius to figure this stuff out people. They just pander to groups to try and gain votes. That's all it is. And that's why I don't have much respect for the GOP in all honesty. They are never sincere, they only try to poke at your feelings to get you to vote for them. Why do you think they babble about the troops, the bill of rights, and the constitution, bible, and so on, so often? Sure, they may like all or uphold all of these things, but it's mostly just to bring up all of the emotions tied to them. I've seen it done to many different groups of people within the GOP time and time again.

I'm sure there are Republicans who are sincere and reasonable out there. I'm not saying every single one is. So don't get all uptight on me. But I see this trend a WHOLE lot with GOP candidates.

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 07:05 PM
link   

Exxon Mobil counts everything — not just federal income taxes, but also local property taxes, state taxes, gasoline taxes and payroll taxes. The Center for American Progress (CAP) and other analysts count only the company’s federal corporate income taxes.

“We pay our fair share of taxes,” said Kenneth Cohen, Exxon Mobil’s vice president for public affairs, who in a conference call recently lumped more than $6 of sales, state and local taxes together with every $1 of federal income tax paid in 2010.

But Exxon Mobil’s tax rate is “lower than the average American’s,” Daniel Weiss, an energy expert at CAP, countered in an analysis that put the company’s U.S. federal income tax rate in 2010 at just 17.2 percent.

Link

Their version of taxes isn't just income tax. The average person pays more in taxes then just income tax also.
edit on 1/26/2015 by roadgravel because: fix quote

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join