It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Spreading Warmth: Free Hats and Scarves left out for homeless in Canadian cities.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 25 2015 @ 01:15 AM
link   
Another warming (pun intended) tale from Canada. Not a false flag, not a rock on Mars masquerading as landfill, not a terrorist attack, but simply a nice and practical gesture that helps others.

www.huffingtonpost.com...

These good Samaritans are working to make sure that the homeless and others in need are prepared for the winter weather.

Hats and scarves have been spotted around several areas that are experiencing frigid temperatures this winter. The apparel -- which has shown up in cities including Edmonton and Winnipeg in Canada, and Wilmington, North Carolina -- comes with messages urging those in need to take the winter wear.

And;

The group responsible for that particular item, Scarves in the Port City, says that their aim is to account for those who need a helping hand during the winter months in a simple and effective way.

posted on Jan, 25 2015 @ 01:21 AM
link   
Do they have to do this surrepticiously becaue they would be arrested if they got caught feeding them?

posted on Jan, 25 2015 @ 01:32 AM
link   
Good. I know someone who yesterday kneeled down outside a convenient store next to a young man who isn't all there. He has raggedy clothes, smells bad, is thin, and everyone make fun of him.

that person just listened to him for some time, and then hugged him and said: I love you. And bought him a meal to eat.

it is good to do good to others. We all should.

posted on Jan, 25 2015 @ 01:58 AM
link   
a reply to: cuckooold

If only more people were like this . I once gave 3 packing boxes of books to a charity that would pay you for them then resell them . When they were trying to work out what i was owed i just said nothing . My grandmother was supposed to be working that day and when she rang that night thanking me for it was just the best feeling in the world . I still miss you grandma .
edit on 25-1-2015 by hutch622 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2015 @ 02:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: iNobody
Good. I know someone who yesterday kneeled down outside a convenient store next to a young man who isn't all there. He has raggedy clothes, smells bad, is thin, and everyone make fun of him.

that person just listened to him for some time, and then hugged him and said: I love you. And bought him a meal to eat.

it is good to do good to others. We all should.

The world would be a much better place if more people thought this way

And great story OP keep em coming

edit on 25-1-2015 by hopenotfeariswhatweneed because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2015 @ 02:11 AM
link   
a reply to: stirling

I know where I live, some of the cities have tried to enact laws limiting people's ability to give money or food to the homeless, but they have all by and large failed.

There is another program being started up to help homeless women with hygiene products. It's called the Time of the Month Initiative. Amazing idea, and one that I hadn't even considered until they started calling for donations.

posted on Jan, 25 2015 @ 05:56 AM
link   
I saw this on Huffington post yesterday,and I wanted to see the good in it. I really did. However,all that came to mind was people not in need either ripping them down to the ground,or taking them for themselves. I hate it that I see that as more of a reality than the intention behind it. There are half a dozen charities in my area alone that accept donations of winter clothing and distribute them directly to those in need. I can relate to the good intentions these people have,but their distribution system is flawed. Nowhere here in Canada that I know of,has made it illegal to help a homeless person in any way.

posted on Jan, 25 2015 @ 07:59 AM
link   
a reply to: cuckooold

This stuff is what makes me happy to be human! I just wish I hit the lottery or had family money....More people need to do this for our fellow humans! Regardless of race, sex, who cares? Get some help for people who need it...For gosh sakes it is only fake money!! Let's help each other! I promise to anyone out there needing help, if I come across a winning powerball ticket or some kind of big money, I WILL make a difference in every possible way I can....

posted on Jan, 25 2015 @ 08:02 AM
link   
We do this in the U.S. as well. Coats even. And blankets. And food and shelter.

posted on Jan, 25 2015 @ 08:34 AM
link   
I used to be shocked when I met devout church people who were against giving food or other items to hungry/needy people. Now I know it says something about their true character or lack there of.
edit on 1/25/2015 by roadgravel because: spelling

edit on 1/25/2015 by roadgravel because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2015 @ 09:19 AM
link   
What they need to do is fix up old bikes, and get, buy, sew, build and make, even with papercrete if necessary, small bicycle trailers that can sleep a person in warmth, covered with waterproof canvas, and lots of layers of warmth, and then arrange places for them to park.

This as in interim step between donating land and townhouses, creating more trailer parks, NOT JUST FOR HOMELESS for all people, and insuring they all have an income to live on. And any rent/utilities should never be more than 1/3, I say 1/4, of income.

I don't like bandaids, people need them nonetheless, as it helps, but get working on the real stuff.
edit on 25-1-2015 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2015 @ 06:20 PM
link   
In several cities, the Society of St. Vincent de Paul student chapters at Catholic Universities provide excess cafeteria food to the homeless along with new hats, socks, soap, toiletries, and donated coats in winter, with new mittens and gloves. One must carefully control the handouts as extras will be taken as backups or more commonly as trade goods for other items not provided [alcohol and tobacco.] Putting items out and not keeping track of who gets what [yes, we know names and keep track] leads to skewed distribution of benefits.

top topics

join