It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Target Employee commits suicide after wrongly accused of theft; Target forces "Walk Of Shame"

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 25 2015 @ 10:09 AM
link   
a reply to: Jamie1

Is anybody ever going to be an adult and say, "STOP! Grow the F up. Get over it. So you were walked out of the store in handcuffs. Big deal. Smile. Laugh. Who cares?"

Hardly anybody is grownup like you are grownup Jamie1 - soullessness is a rare thing. Fortunately. Callousness is much more common - and what we have here is a choice made by management that deserves to be examined and possibly changed

From the link:

The complaint alleges that an argument between Graham Gentles and a coworker at a bar outside of work hours may have prompted the incident. The suit says it's believed that allegations made by the coworker led to store management calling for Gentles' arrest and "walk of shame."

According to the complaint, the so-called "walk of shame" has happened on numerous occasions to employees who were suspected of stealing.

"One of the primary purposes of this lawsuit is that Target stops the policy immediately [and] recognizes the harm that it could do," said McNicholas.

Emphasis mine

Yes - we all know the patter of the righteously indignant whenever a story like this pops up: suck it up, it's about personal responsibility, it's just a story that you tell yourself that you were humiliated - blah, blah, blah...

Obviously - the important thing to remember here is that Target didn't do anything wrong - right?

This is how a fully functioning society works Jamie1 - not by bullying, not by allowing those in charge to do whatever they please however they want whenever they choose. They are a business and only a business and not above the law

She has a right to take this to court and see if this practice can be changed. Maybe, after she's had her day in court - it will be determined that they did something wrong. Maybe not

What are you afraid of?

posted on Jan, 25 2015 @ 10:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: Xcathdra

I am curious about the specific details on what he was accused of and if anyone actually observed it.

I dunno... something is just not sounding right.

Apparently he was falsely accused by another employee he had an argument with.
The police dropped the charges after he was taken downtown and found out the details.

Rush to judgement killed that young man. Target should have determined that before they called LE.

Didn't you read the link?

edit on 25-1-2015 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2015 @ 10:19 AM
link   
a reply to: Spiramirabilis

I've never once seen any store's loss prevention parade somebody around the store. Every store I've worked with takes the most direct route possible from the door to the office. Her assertion that this "walk of shame" is policy is fishy to me.

If her claims are true, I think the more likely scenario is somebody with an ax to grind paraded him around. But again, we're only hearing one side of the story. Everybody rushing to judgement that Target is automatically guilty on all claims is just as wrong as the "meh, grow up" crowd.

posted on Jan, 25 2015 @ 10:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: lordcomac
Oddly enough, most girls I've met would rather shop at Target than WalMart- the aisles are wider, the lighting comes off as brighter (lower ceilings) and I guess the color red is more attractive to them.

My first job was at Target- working warehouse. Minimum wage, they had me working two jobs with different names so I could get more than 40 hours in. Mandatory bonus hours during holidays, no time and a half. I went by 'Archie' for my bonus hours- The best part was Archie had a real imprinted name tag, where mine was a sticker.
I probably worked at a half dozen other retail based jobs between there and starting an actual career- As far as I can tell, not a single one of those retail shops is run by a local manager with any sense of morality.

Not sure if it's fair to blame the corporation- they encourage results, and the kinds of degenerate assholes that simply don't care about what's nice tend to float to the top of the retail crowd.

Target has higher quality merchandise thatn Wal-mart. That's how they've survived in the same communities as Wal-Mart.
Apparently the quality ends with the stuff and doesn't cross over to the people.

posted on Jan, 25 2015 @ 10:27 AM
link   
a reply to: Shamrock6

This is typical American culture. Zero honor and respect its all about people proving how much better they are or how much more intelligent they are.

What a bunch of # eaters weve create in this country, a bunch of self entitled assholes from every generation who treat people however they want.

I vote we go back to samurai culture and bring it to the US. If you disrespect someone you get cut in half period. The bull# will stop i promise you.

posted on Jan, 25 2015 @ 10:28 AM
link   

But again, we're only hearing one side of the story. Everybody rushing to judgement that Target is automatically guilty on all claims is just as wrong as the "meh, grow up" crowd.

I agree Shamrock - and this is why I want to trust our legal system to sort it out

Target isn't responsible for this young man's suicide, but they are responsible for how they treat their employees

I have no idea what is or isn't permissible or legal. As several people have pointed out - society has ways of bypassing any legal ways of sorting all this out, and Target is going to pay for this story in more ways than one

We are only hearing one side, and I'm sure I don't know what's right either way. I think it deserves to be discussed however, and I know that a lot of people see this as frivolous litigation, but the woman just lost her son due to a situation that may have gotten a pass because it's been happening to people that weren't emotionally vulnerable

We don't put people in stocks anymore - and there's a very good reason for that. It's not a grownup way to address crime - and it's also abusive. Especially if used as a form of punishment that comes before due process

Innocent until proven guilty

posted on Jan, 25 2015 @ 11:05 AM
link   
a reply to: onequestion

I'm not really sure how that pertains to anything. It hasn't been proven one way or the other. One side is making claims, the other isn't commenting.

posted on Jan, 25 2015 @ 11:11 AM
link   

Yep, agreed. If this turns out to be a case of a rogue manager or something, I expect Target will throw them under the bus in a big way.

I hope this stays in the news, because I'll be interested to see if this guy was under investigation for anything. If not, then I think mom is probably more right than not. From what I know, not all retailers punish all forms of theft by pressing charges. But if that's the case, why were the police called in the first place? From what little is out for public consumption so far, it sounds more like a d-bag manager than anything Target did.

posted on Jan, 25 2015 @ 11:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: bobs_uruncle

originally posted by: olaru12
I guess I might as well cross Target off my list of places to shop; along with Walmart and Sams. Pay their employees poorly and treat em like s***! When the corporate model only cares about profit; somethings seriously wrong.

It's going viral on social media. The blow back on Target will cost them millions. Ironic

Even though this incident of suicide probably has nothing to do with this... Target is presently being, "Walked out of Canada" for their stupidity and bad business practices. What is interesting however is even though Target failed miserably and is closing 100 plus stores and letting 17,000 plus employees go, the executives are sharing mega-bonuses. Go figure eh?

Cheers - Dave

Profit gets you into heaven, didn't you know? God loves the Corporatocracy!

posted on Jan, 25 2015 @ 11:23 AM
link   

It's an interesting case - no matter how it goes

...it sounds more like a d-bag manager than anything Target did.

It's funny - how one bad decision made by one bad manger has the potential to change a policy that might be used by hundreds of stores - maybe thousands if it affects companies besides Target...

I gotta admit - this is what really interests me

posted on Jan, 25 2015 @ 11:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: Spiramirabilis

It's funny - how one bad decision made by one bad manger has the potential to change a policy that might be used by hundreds of stores - maybe thousands if it affects companies besides Target...

I gotta admit - this is what really interests me

Same here....

The damage is done. This has gone viral via social media and Target has been painted in a very unfavorable light and perhaps rightly so. Companies spend a huge amount on portraying their business in the best possible light; however
This shows the power of social media in the corporate sphere....perhaps they should take note.
Some of the twitter posts are scathing and numerous.

I'll never set foot in another Target.

edit on 25-1-2015 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2015 @ 11:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: Spiramirabilis
This is how a fully functioning society works Jamie1 - not by bullying, not by allowing those in charge to do whatever they please however they want whenever they choose. They are a business and only a business and not above the law

She has a right to take this to court and see if this practice can be changed. Maybe, after she's had her day in court - it will be determined that they did something wrong. Maybe not

What are you afraid of?

There was no claim to any law being broken by Target.

Of course she has a right to sue Target. Lawyers do this all the time.

Target's lawyers will bring in an expert witness who will testify that suicide is a personal choice. The dude could have hit the lottery for $1 million and still jumped off the roof.

It's destructive and disempowering to perpetuate the victim/villain myth when it comes to "having your feelings hurt."

The more likely cause of this guy offing himself was a lifetime of being raised by a mother who reinforced "victim" behavior and blame.

It's almost evil to tell somebody they must feel bad because of what people say or do that's out of their control. Why would you want to perpetuate such a horrible way to live?

edit on 25-1-2015 by Jamie1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2015 @ 11:50 AM
link   

It's destructive and disempowering to perpetuate the victim/villain myth when it comes to "having your feelings hurt."

Funny how you still miss the point...I know suicide really gets your panties in a bunch

The more likely cause of this guy offing himself was a lifetime of being raised by a mother who reinforced "victim" behavior and blame.

It's almost evil to tell somebody they must feel bad because of what people say or do that's out of their control. Why would you want to perpetuate such a horrible way to live?

Oh that we were all as together as you Jamie1...

I think we get what you're saying - way to ream someone for being weak after he's gone. Not to mention accusing his mother of things you can't possibly know

So much for atoms loving other atoms - your personal philosophy seems to have some gaps in it
edit on 1/25/2015 by Spiramirabilis because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2015 @ 12:04 PM
link   

I will say this from personal experience. Aspies perceive the world differently. There are times when the little things in life will make us feel like we were singled out and blamed. Is it true? Usually not, but that's how our minds work. The point of the lawsuit is their walk of shame seriously impacted this young man's mind in ways the employer didn't think would happen.

Please live one day on this Earth with Asperger's and you might, just might know what he went through after this incident.

posted on Jan, 25 2015 @ 12:05 PM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

The damage is done.

It is. They had no way of seeing this coming

Companies spend a huge amount on portraying their business in the best possible light; however This shows the power of social media in the corporate sphere....perhaps they should take note.

If this is actually corporate policy - to humiliate their employees before the situation has been handled legally - I hope it is changed

The worker in this country has so little power these days. That era of owing your soul to the company store we thought was over...seems to have come back in recent years. It's interesting that social media is what it took to level the field a little
edit on 1/25/2015 by Spiramirabilis because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2015 @ 12:11 PM
link   
My $.02, just in case anyone is interested....

Theft, is a voluntary action.

Suicide, is a voluntary action.

If I steal, nobody but myself is to blame. If I commit suicide, nobody is to blame.
Nobody "made" me commit either action. It was done by my own hand.

Now, apparently, there was not enough evidence to convict. I am NOT saying this person was guilty.

But, to say he was a victim of suicide, is to say he was a victim of his own actions. His own hand.

I feel horrible for him, and his family. However, not a single one of us are victims. We all have, and make, choices.

-NF

posted on Jan, 25 2015 @ 12:24 PM
link   
a reply to: nullafides

I feel horrible for him, and his family.

That seems like an appropriate response to me

However, not a single one of us are victims. We all have, and make, choices.

What I always wonder about when I hear somebody say something like this is - do you believe that if nobody is ever a victim, that that means no person can ever do something wrong to another person?

posted on Jan, 25 2015 @ 12:47 PM
link   

What I always wonder about when I hear somebody say something like this is - do you believe that if nobody is ever a victim, that that means no person can ever do something wrong to another person?

External actions upon one's self do not directly dictate a response. The self is the deciding factor.

I for one, in a state of great emotional duress, absolutely tore apart a stranger once for attempting to help me. Does that make sense? Should it have been the appropriate response? Today, as mere seconds later, I realize it was an inappropriate response.

Wrong is a perception. Action is what truly takes place. Reaction? Well, that is the result of a decision.

I can decide to kill those who tormented me growing up. I can decide to kill myself in response. I can decide to forgive. I can decide to ejaculate into a tissue. I can decide to pontificate much as I am doing now.

The possible combinations and resulting responses to perception and decision are endless. Therefore, "wrong" IMHO, has little to do with it.

I met a man two days ago in a food bank with no socks, and shoes that were absolutely soaked with just above frozen water. He had taken them off, but was clearly shaking due to his cold feet.

I took off my own shoes and socks, and gave my socks to him.

We are responsible for our actions. We make our decisions, and the resulting actions, based off of the actions of others. Based off of the perception, which we harbor, of others.

Perceptions, which are made internally and externally, are 1000% malleable.

-NF
edit on 25-1-2015 by nullafides because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2015 @ 12:56 PM
link   
a reply to: Anyafaj

I can totally relate to that poor kid. I was fired after being wrongly accused of theft. A decade later, my friend who worked with me casually brought it up and said he was the one who was stealing the whole time and acted like it was no big deal.

He had no idea how much damage that did to me.

Until you've been wrongly accused of something, it's easy to treat the accused as guilty but every since that day, I've always been super gentle to those I accuse of something and always give the benefit of the doubt.

If they had done that with this kid, he'd be alive today.

posted on Jan, 25 2015 @ 01:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: Shamrock6

I've never once seen any store's loss prevention parade somebody around the store. Every store I've worked with takes the most direct route possible from the door to the office. Her assertion that this "walk of shame" is policy is fishy to me.

If her claims are true, I think the more likely scenario is somebody with an ax to grind paraded him around. But again, we're only hearing one side of the story. Everybody rushing to judgement that Target is automatically guilty on all claims is just as wrong as the "meh, grow up" crowd.

In the article is states that Target is refusing to comment on the case due to the lawsuit. So in other words, there's no "Yes we do/No we don't" from them. In searching to see if they do have such a policy, all links bring me to more articles about this gentleman and what happened to him and petitions to end such a policy. The petition has no comments on it such as "it happened to me", so it makes it hard to find if it is or isn't for that case, such a policy.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join