It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

lawmakers declare ‘all-out assault’ on marriage for same-sex and atheist couples in Oklahoma

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 25 2015 @ 05:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: Cuervo

originally posted by: Tangerine

originally posted by: Cuervo

originally posted by: deadeyedick
a reply to: Cuervo

Someone else brought up rome but did the spartans marry same sex? no To my knowledge they were married to women.

They weren't married in a civic sense but more of a military sense. One of the Spartan armies, "The Sacred Band of Thebes" were exclusively made from same-sex couples but even the "straightest" of the Spartan units were encouraged to have sexual relations with one another in order to form a closer camaraderie.

It wasn't secret nor was it something frowned upon. I mean, look at those capes. You really never knew?

Are you saying their marriages were not legally binding? Yes or no.

They would pledge themselves to each other and it would be binding in the context of that military unit. The Spartan example was just an afterthought. The other examples in other cultures I brought up were, indeed, socially (legally) binding.

OK, then they were legally binding. Thank you.

posted on Jan, 25 2015 @ 05:03 PM
link   
a reply to: Tangerine

false they were not binding unions

The only bindng union was the one they made to fight.

posted on Jan, 25 2015 @ 05:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: TechUnique

originally posted by: olaru12

a reply to: olaru12

I said perhaps as in i am not sure but it is possible.

God please protect me from satan's minions and ground troops for they have touchy feelings now days.

Are you accusing me of being one of Satan's minions? Insulting another Christian because I don't have the narrow Biblical
view?

You just confirmed what I stated in my previous post.

Anyone who promotes one of Satan's greatest sins of temptation, is a minion of Satan, whether they believe to be or not. Homosexuality is a way of Blaspheming God. Satan loves to do that. Gangster rappers are minions of Satan. Celebrity idols are minions of Satan. In fact, most people in this fallen age are minions of Satan.

This is precisely why everything will be rectified in the (probably not too distant) future. It's unfortunate that there is so much confusion and sickness in the world at the moment but all things must come to pass..

This world is a test. I am failing it because I sin everyday. I am not yet fully saved or 'Freed' from sin so please don't think that I'm passing judgement. I am merely relaying to you information that is the inspired word of God. Maybe you should check out the story of Sodom and Gomorrah and see what God thinks of the world today.

How about proving that Satan exists outside of your storybook? Cite the testable evidence. While you're at it, prove that God exists, too.

Prove that Satan exists? There are millions of testimonies. Go check them out. Oh wait now, they must all be crazy right?

It wouldn't matter what I presented to you. It really wouldn't would it?

Testimonies? Oh, you mean claims. Claims are not testable evidence of anything. There are "testimonies" that reptoids exist.

That's your choice whether you believe Satan to exist or not. Funny how a lot of the most powerful and influential people in today's society believe in Satan yet you think it is an impossibility.

posted on Jan, 25 2015 @ 05:08 PM
link   

God please protect me from satan's minions and ground troops for they have touchy feelings now days.

Are you accusing me of being one of Satan's minions? Insulting another Christian because I don't have the narrow Biblical
view?

Anyone who promotes one of Satan's greatest sins of temptation, is a minion of Satan, whether they believe to be or not. Homosexuality is a way of Blaspheming God. Satan loves to do that. Gangster rappers are minions of Satan. Celebrity idols are minions of Satan. In fact, most people in this fallen age are minions of Satan.

How about spiritually arrogant hypocrites looking down their nose at other Christians; And feeling entitled to pass judgement on those they feel inferior to themselves.

Check this out....

Matthew 7:13 KJV

When did I look down my nose at anyone? You have clearly misrepresented me. Either that or you have misunderstood me. Quote where I looked down my nose at anyone and I will apologize. It has to be a full quote in context though.

Eagerly waiting your participation.

Wow. What a disturbing paragraph. No wonder the Roman Catholic church is so messed up.

This is looking down your nose at another Christian Religion and the people that believe in it; judging it by calling it "messed up" from your own
holier than thou perspective.

You asked now deal with it.

edit on 25-1-2015 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2015 @ 05:08 PM
link   

view?

This is precisely why everything will be rectified in the (probably not too distant) future. It's unfortunate that there is so much confusion and sickness in the world at the moment but all things must come to pass..

This world is a test. I am failing it because I sin everyday. I am not yet fully saved or 'Freed' from sin so please don't think that I'm passing judgement. I am merely relaying to you information that is the inspired word of God. Maybe you should check out the story of Sodom and Gomorrah and see what God thinks of the world today.

How about proving that Satan exists outside of your storybook? Cite the testable evidence. While you're at it, prove that God exists, too.

Prove that Satan exists? There are millions of testimonies. Go check them out. Oh wait now, they must all be crazy right?

Testimonies? Oh, you mean claims. Claims are not testable evidence of anything. There are "testimonies" that reptoids exist.

That's your choice whether you believe Satan to exist or not. Funny how a lot of the most powerful and influential people in today's society believe in Satan yet you think it is an impossibility.

Sheep follow other sheep--right into the pen. I prefer to think for myself. I recommend that you give it a try.

posted on Jan, 25 2015 @ 05:13 PM
link   

view?

How about spiritually arrogant hypocrites looking down their nose at other Christians; And feeling entitled to pass judgement on those they feel inferior to themselves.

Check this out....

Matthew 7:13 KJV

When did I look down my nose at anyone? You have clearly misrepresented me. Either that or you have misunderstood me. Quote where I looked down my nose at anyone and I will apologize. It has to be a full quote in context though.

Eagerly waiting your participation.

Wow. What a disturbing paragraph. No wonder the Roman Catholic church is so messed up.

This is looking down your nose at another Christian Religion and the people that believe in it; judging it by calling it "messed up" from your own
holier than thou perspective.

You asked now deal with it.

Did I say Catholics were messed up? No I said the Roman Catholic church as an entity is messed up. Shall we have that debate? Or do you just want to continue with the nonsense. (Calling something nonsense is not looking down your nose at someone by the way)

posted on Jan, 25 2015 @ 05:14 PM
link   

view?

Sheep follow other sheep--right into the pen. I prefer to think for myself. I recommend that you give it a try.

I do think for myself thank you very much. Discernment is practically a required skill if you are to follow God in this day and age.

posted on Jan, 25 2015 @ 05:15 PM
link   

view?

I do think for myself thank you very much. Discernment is practically a required skill if you are to follow God in this day and age.

How about discerning the difference between belief and fact. Do you practice that discernment?

posted on Jan, 25 2015 @ 05:17 PM
link   

view?

I used them as an example. You think I follow them? Your argument is ridiculous. You've got a habit of putting words into my mouth on this forum though. Don't think I don't remember you.

posted on Jan, 25 2015 @ 05:19 PM
link   

view?

How about discerning the difference between belief and fact. Do you practice that discernment?

Nice philosophical slant on what I said. Incredible wordplay as well. 9/10. As for a serious response? I don't answer loaded questions. At least not seriously.

posted on Jan, 25 2015 @ 05:19 PM
link   

there is no difference other than the amount of faith in either.

posted on Jan, 25 2015 @ 05:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: Grimpachi

a reply to: Grimpachi

I can not forget something that never was.

Funny because that is similar to how I feel about deities and demons.

OK
Do you see how a civil union would level the playing field for more than just sexual partners?

Do you see how it would end all this bickering over gay marriage and religion?

Nope.

It wouldn't be a level playing field at all. Also, even if it was civil unions the religious would still be bickering and trying to do away with it.

Marriage did not originate with Christianity. Christians didn't discover or invent it, it belongs to no religion or belief system.

The bickering would end if you guys would get over yourselves and stop trying to control others. Although I know that can't happen because religion is nothing but a control mechanism so expecting you guys to treat others equally is counter-intuitive. So bickering will continue in this secular country with a constitution. I thank the founders for separation of church and state so odds are not in religions favor of winning this debate.

edit on 25-1-2015 by Grimpachi because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2015 @ 05:31 PM
link   

Why would it not be a good idea to extend the benefits of marriage to not only gay couples but any couples that choose to get through life together regardless of sex but dependent upon residense together.

Churches should have the right to choose who they want to marry.

Marriage by the state would then become a moot point as all couples would enjoy the same benefits and churches could then have the right to bless whatever union they felt like.

posted on Jan, 25 2015 @ 05:37 PM
link   

Marriage by the state would then become a moot point as all couples would enjoy the same benefits and churches could then have the right to bless whatever union they felt like.

Right. That's exactly the point being argued. Except, according to this Oklahoman dimbulb, neither the non-religious or gays should have that privilege no matter who officiates or where.

Keep religious ceremonies in churches' hands, and marriage licenses in the government's. I don't need a religious ceremony to have a valid marriage license, so that particular point really burns the religious folk's cookies, and leaves them little leg to stand on.
edit on 1/25/2015 by Nyiah because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2015 @ 05:49 PM
link   
a reply to: deadeyedick

Why would it not be a good idea to extend the benefits of marriage to not only gay couples but any couples that choose to get through life together regardless of sex but dependent upon residense together.

In many state's any couple can already do that it is called getting married and you don't even have to live together.

As they already do.

Or you can live and let live and people can continue getting married as they have been doing for thousands of years before your Christ was ever portrayed in some book. Why are you trying to make marriage exclusive to churches? Why are you trying to change things weren't you complaining about that before?

Marriage has never belonged to the church and it should never belong to the church. There are billions of people in this world only about 30% of them are some form of Christian.

posted on Jan, 25 2015 @ 05:53 PM
link   
a reply to: Nyiah

no that is not what upsets the religious folks and you know that what you and i seem to have agreed on is not currently accepted by either side. Churches are being forced currently to marry gay folks and some bakers and such are being forced to participate. That is the problem

Even today if unions were made legal we would still see many trying to force churches to marry them. The truth is that many churches will marry them and many bakers will cater to them gladly but it will not always be as easy as traditional marriage.

Evn though both sides will fight the civil union idea i think in the long run it is best. What we are going through will tear the country apart.

posted on Jan, 25 2015 @ 05:59 PM
link   

Churches should not be allowed to officiate at legally binding property contracts, period. If someone wants to form a legal union, it should be done by a government official. If churches want to perform a ritual that may be religiously binding within the denomination but not have the force of law, that should also be allowed.
edit on 25-1-2015 by Tangerine because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2015 @ 05:59 PM
link   

view?

There's no thinking (ie. critical reasoning) involved in confusing belief with fact.

posted on Jan, 25 2015 @ 06:06 PM
link   

Your anti religion views hurt others.

It is crystal clear is is only about destroying the church and you have alighned your views with lgbt people in order to further your agenda and you really could not give a care for what is best for everyone.

posted on Jan, 25 2015 @ 06:08 PM
link   

Regardless of your view they do and will remain having that power.

A civil union as i purposed would negate that power but gay marriage will not.

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join