It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

lawmakers declare ‘all-out assault’ on marriage for same-sex and atheist couples in Oklahoma

page: 18
<< 15  16  17    19  20  21 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 03:07 PM
link   
a reply to: deadeyedick

To get the recognition from entities like insurance companies and government they would need the county clerk to issue a civil union cert. saying they are legally bound with all the benefits currently givin through marriage laws.

This could extend to any two people and possibly more...

To get the back yard to recognize them as being married they would need to consult mother earth in the ceremony.

One would be a legal doc. and the other a matter of belief and faith that is only as good as the amount of faith they personally put in it.

They could even have athiest marriage ceremonies where they choose a represenative to envoke to power of humanity to recognize their marriage.

Gosh...

That's a whole lot of trouble for millions upon millions of people to have to go through just to satisfy a handful of fundamental theists in the United States.

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 03:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: deadeyedick
a reply to: Grimpachi

funny you mention slavery. The bloodshed is what we should be trying to avoid.

If the Christian right decides to spill blood over this it will only confirm what I think anyway.

After that maybe we can really have a push to get religion out of goverment.

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 03:13 PM
link   
If we are going to split marriage into civil and religious types then I propose the religious marriage should not receive tax breaks from the government as it is a spiritual union and civil unions would be contractual unions.

I am obviously engaging in hyperbole to make a point...

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 03:14 PM
link   

the same goes for the act of binding two people together. They do not actually put chains on you they are invisible.
Other than tax breaks and insurance and penelaties there is not much to the act that is not invisible.

The same argument could be made for any relationship that we make, whether it be employment, parenthood, business contracts, citizen rights, etc.......all loyalty bonds are invisible.

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 03:16 PM
link   
a reply to: CranialSponge
So how does it work where you are from?
Is it much trouble?

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 03:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: Elton
If we are going to split marriage into civil and religious types then I propose the religious marriage should not receive tax breaks from the government as it is a spiritual union and civil unions would be contractual unions.

I am obviously engaging in hyperbole to make a point...

You are correct. Gov. benefits should only come from the gov. agreement and that could then be extended to more than just marriages but all civil unions in any form bound.

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 03:19 PM
link   
a reply to: windword

no contracts have some meat as do laws giving rights

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 03:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: Grimpachi

If the Christian right decides to spill blood over this it will only confirm what I think anyway.

Are you really so abstract in your views that you need confirmation of some kind.

I call that faith building.
edit on 26-1-2015 by deadeyedick because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 03:29 PM
link   

Are you really so abstract in your views that you need confirmation of some kind.

You're the one who said:

I am just saying it wouldn't surprise me. You call it faith building if you want I call it the reality of religious fundamentalism's true face. Taliban, Sharia law, Christian fundamentals, Christian government, Patato, potato.

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 03:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: CranialSponge

That's a whole lot of trouble for millions upon millions of people to have to go through just to satisfy a handful of fundamental theists in the United States.

The Religious Right consists of 12 to 14 million people. Christian reconstructionism, the underlying philosophy of the Religious Right calls for the destruction of democracy and replacement with theocracy and the return to literal Old Testament Law. Fear them.

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 03:31 PM
link   

I would say that Grimpachi is pretty concrete in views actually. Demanding CRAZY things like "proof" and "evidence".
edit on 26-1-2015 by ScientificRailgun because: Wrong user!

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 03:31 PM
link   

a reply to: windword

no contracts have some meat as do laws giving rights

Exactly the same amount of "meat" as a marriage does.

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 03:34 PM
link   

So how does it work where you are from?
Is it much trouble?

Nope, no trouble at all.

Two people sign a marriage contract, a legal representative witnesses and signs said contract... and wham ! They're married.

Whatever type of ceremony is performed before/during/after matters none, so long as that marriage contract gets signed at some point during the process.

It's very simple and straight forward.

The sky hasn't fallen... nobody's head has exploded... and the world hasn't crumbled.

edit on 26-1-2015 by CranialSponge because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 03:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: ScientificRailgun
I would say that Grimpachi is pretty concrete in views actually. Demanding CRAZY things like "proof" and "evidence".

You could have left me in there. I demand crazy stuff too.

edit on 26-1-2015 by AugustusMasonicus because: networkdude has no beer

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 03:45 PM
link   
As an aside, I think there was some talk that the Supreme Court is finally tackling the issue of Gay Marriage this year. So soon this entire discussion will be moot.

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 03:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

originally posted by: ScientificRailgun

You could have left me in there. I demand crazy stuff too.

Ya old coot.

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 03:53 PM
link   
Sometimes these discussions crack me up.

I certainly will be happy once the supreme court rules on this, but I will be sort of sad to see these wacky threads go.

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 03:58 PM
link   
a reply to: Tangerine

The Religious Right consists of 12 to 14 million people. Christian reconstructionism, the underlying philosophy of the Religious Right calls for the destruction of democracy and replacement with theocracy and the return to literal Old Testament Law. Fear them.

So let me see if I have this straight...

There are 330 million people in the United States. Of those 330 million people, 14 million are attempting to dictate who gets to marry ?

Oh dear.

You have my sympathies.

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 04:00 PM
link   
I'm not letting any Christian tell me what I can or cannot do.

This is America land of the free. Leave me a lone you cult freaks.

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 04:00 PM
link   
I'm not letting any Christian tell me what I can or cannot do.

This is America land of the free. Leave me a lone you cult freaks.

And, if you don't like it, then leave. The constitution gives me freedom from religion. Try researching Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, to name just two, of our founding fathers that felt the same way. Two of the very best. In fact, Washington, went way out of his way to NOT talk about his religious views.

edit on 26-1-2015 by amazing because: (no reason given)

<< 15  16  17    19  20  21 >>

join