It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The home PC just got smaller

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 24 2015 @ 02:08 PM
link   
a reply to: douglas5

A bit off topic, but you tabled it...

A few weeks back I was trying to explain to my sixteen year old daughter that televisions used to be the third largest purchase a person made, behind their house and car. I tried to describe to her our MASSIVE 20-something inch screen TV that was housed in a wooden frame that filled an entire wall and included an 8-track player AND a record player built into it.

Her reply? "Old people are stupid."

posted on Jan, 24 2015 @ 02:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: Maxatoria
a reply to: Hefficide

It would of needed some ram at least to store the program and any changes and some rom unless you had a plug board etc to load the program

Not if it was a very old cimputer still using core memory, but then it wouldnt have used a casette either, rather puched tape

posted on Jan, 24 2015 @ 03:24 PM
link   
I would put a sata cord connector on the side and have a small case for 2T hardrives, because won't be using cloud.

But it doesnt look like gaming, graphics, you would need to then have graphic card extension slots built into the monitors if possible.
edit on 24-1-2015 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2015 @ 03:26 PM
link   
a reply to: Maxatoria

It's been a few decades, but as I recall everything loaded to and from the cassette. The cassette acted as the memory for the entire computing system.

I could be mistaken. I do know all it functioned as was a word processor and code writing environment. No games, no graphics, nothing but text.

posted on Jan, 24 2015 @ 03:33 PM
link   
I love the fact that it is getting smaller but this mouse thing do not really get my very interested since a mouse is from my point of view a thing I need to exchange more often than a computer normally.

I am more interested in when we will get computers with bendable touch screens, that you can wear on your arm like a garment that you can flip up and get a touch screen and on the other side flip out a keyboard/mouse touch screen that you can control with your other hand or take off and use as a laptop on the table.

posted on Jan, 24 2015 @ 05:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: Hefficide

A bit off topic, but you tabled it...

A few weeks back I was trying to explain to my sixteen year old daughter that televisions used to be the third largest purchase a person made, behind their house and car. I tried to describe to her our MASSIVE 20-something inch screen TV that was housed in a wooden frame that filled an entire wall and included an 8-track player AND a record player built into it.

Her reply? "Old people are stupid."

And don't forget the accessories for the big expensive old TV.....A set of rabbit ears and a pair of pliers to change the channel when the knobs broke.

posted on Jan, 24 2015 @ 05:31 PM
link   
a reply to: LittleByLittle

Bendable desktop monitors are the big rage right now in mid level computing. You can purchase frames for them, bend the frames, and insert the monitors to end up with a science fiction movie like effect... a wall of monitors, curved for your immersion.

The price points on them are still a bit high though. I figure in a year or two they'll be dirt cheap and standard. Well unless Microsoft and their hologram thing hits huge and they release it for next to nothing - which could happen.

posted on Jan, 24 2015 @ 05:49 PM
link   

Only draw back is you can't upgrade. Would that mouse box hold a video card too?

posted on Jan, 24 2015 @ 05:51 PM
link   

Thats what I had too, those were the days.

posted on Jan, 24 2015 @ 09:22 PM
link   
a reply to: Hefficide

I had a poly 88, circa 1976, which came in a kit. Intel 8080 CPU and 1,024-byte ROM and used a cassette deck as well.

I currently have a Raspberry Pi B+

edit on 24-1-2015 by ogbert because: spelling typo

edit on 24-1-2015 by ogbert because: added pic

edit on 24-1-2015 by ogbert because: added pic

posted on Jan, 25 2015 @ 01:58 AM
link   
Hmmm. I think it's neat. Due to starving studenthood I have come to really love anything with an ARM processor or SoC in it (or even just the SoC.

I wasn't going to say anything but I went to that HackerNews link and saw that others felt as I did so I figured I'd share what I thought.

I honestly found it distasteful that they showed the dude using the device to circumvent his assigned work machine to have a peek at lord-knows-what. The promise of anonymity and subterfuge that the commercial alludes to is ludicrous.

Fact is, the whole scene should be inverted: those meece-boxes would make awesome thin-clients, those shouldn't be sneaky-computers, they should be the computer, one for everyone that jockeys a cubicle and only allowed access to whatever that person is authorized to access in terms of applications for work.

Being found with unauthorized devices brought on premises should be grounds for disintegration.

Anyway, slightly more interesting than a Globalscale Dreamplug but poorly advertised, IMHO. The charging-mat gets you thinking though.

edit on 25-1-2015 by Bybyots because: . : .

posted on Jan, 25 2015 @ 01:30 PM
link   
Here is a fun project for a tiny box with an ARM processor...

Pogoplug

Meets...

The AnonyBox – How To

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join