It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Public University Faces Backlash Over ‘Problem Of Whiteness’ Course

page: 6
<< 3  4  5   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 24 2015 @ 11:47 PM
link   
a reply to: honested3

I am sick and tired of people of color blaming all their problems on my skin color.

Did my skin color make them blow off school and fail to graduate? Did my skin color make them join a street gang? Did my skin color make them have a baby out of wedlock before they were even out of high school? Did my skin color do any of that stuff that white people generally perceive to be life choices that lead to failing at life no matter what your skin color is?

No. So stop calling my fault that they make those choices. It has nothing to do with it, but they blame my skin color for it. And you aid and abet by calling it some kind of institutionalized thing that my skin is white.

posted on Jan, 24 2015 @ 11:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: honested3

originally posted by: Jamie1
Arizona St. University now offers a course called "The Problem of Whiteness."

Student James Malone raises this issue:

Student James Malone told Campus Reform that such a course “shows the significant double standard of higher education institutions,” noting that the school “would never allow a class talking about the problem of blackness.”

Source

Simple question:

Is it racist to offer a course called "The Problem of Whiteness?"

Would it be racist if the course was called, "The Problem of Blackness?"

Would you take out a student loan so you could take this course?

No it is not racist because racism is institutionalized. Whiteness is an institutionalized problem and something that people of color should be made aware of (as though they already aren't)

Would it be racist if the course was called, "The Problem of Blackness?" Absolutely.

Would you take out a student loan so you could take this course? Absolutely.

Can you give me a specific example of institutionalized "Whiteness racism" please? I mean now, not from 50 years ago.

posted on Jan, 24 2015 @ 11:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
a reply to: LOSTinAMERICA

We also have soma, too. What else is legal pot?

It's not looking good.

posted on Jan, 24 2015 @ 11:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: GogoVicMorrow
a reply to: Jamie1

You had an okay thread going try not to take it off course with your islamaphobia. Israeli Jews kill Muslims just the same and to a greater extent. An Israeli guy ran over a five year old Palestinian girl for the hell of it last year.

And "subset of white" nah.

Also not Muslims as much as Radical islamists and wahabis. I habe plenty of Muslim friends that could care less and arent at all racist.

What is your definition of "Islamaphobia?" Stating the fact that Islamic radicals are committing mass murders around the world?

It's a great contrast to compare the real-world atrocities being committed by Muslims around the world with a college class on White Racism.

Do you think it would be cool if they had a class called, "The Problem With Muslim Hatred" or would that be Islamaphobic? I'm trying to get my head around the double-standards.

posted on Jan, 25 2015 @ 12:00 AM
link   
Another one of these threads huh?

Hasn't anyone ever heard the expression "for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction"

Society is funny because people really only see reactions that happen small and quickly in front of them, but society, culture, races any large social system will ripple for decades before the reaction becomes obvious.

Everything leading to WW3 is the Reaction to WW2, Israel, the rearming of Japan, the rise of China all of it...

Multiculturalism is the equal and opposite fascist answer to the Nazis, It's a blind ugly behemoth reaction and it's going to fail horribly because it's just as bad in it's own way. Telling people they can not have their own race, identity, religion, philosophy or they get a label is simply no different than what the Nazis did, it's just an ISM, and it get's ugly when people decide their ISM is the only ISM. People want to belong, the mind needs rituals and to make sense of behavior, the true minority in this world is the person who beyond youth truly thrives on things always being different, not knowing what to expect from others or in the course of the day. The reality is however Most people need the regularity, to be able to predict what happens next, take comfort in things being somewhat predictable and knowing how to speak and walk and talk and simply to NOT FEAR being isolated by being too different.

This course is literally the sort of thing that created the "self hating jew" except apply it to Caucasians, what is scary is what Caucasians will once again become when the survivors the ones who didn't buy into the self hatred emerge after the fact in this endless, stupid, pathetic cycle, what the Israelis are today is what Caucasians will actually be when the dust settles and that will be scary as hell.

This is a cycle and one that needs to be broken, the concept of a United States was a good one, a Union of States with their own rules and identities that agree to cooperate this is what the model of a global world should be acceptance of other states as friends without the need to Impose Global social rules or cultures. What we are doing including vis the UN is fighting each other for a "One world" philosophy and this will go round and round until we destroy each other. Nothing about multiculturalism respects culture, borders or Identity any more than the Nazis did.

posted on Jan, 25 2015 @ 12:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: criticalhit
Another one of these threads huh?

Hasn't anyone ever heard the expression "for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction"

Society is funny because people really only see reactions that happen small and quickly in front of them, but society, culture, races any large social system will ripple for decades before the reaction becomes obvious.

Everything leading to WW3 is the Reaction to WW2, Israel, the rearming of Japan, the rise of China all of it...

Multiculturalism is the equal and opposite fascist answer to the Nazis, It's a blind ugly behemoth reaction and it's going to fail horribly because it's just as bad in it's own way. Telling people they can not have their own race, identity, religion, philosophy or they get a label is simply no different than what the Nazis did, it's just an ISM, and it get's ugly when people decide their ISM is the only ISM. People want to belong, the mind needs rituals and to make sense of behavior, the true minority in this world is the person who beyond youth truly thrives on things always being different, not knowing what to expect from others or in the course of the day. The reality is however Most people need the regularity, to be able to predict what happens next, take comfort in things being somewhat predictable and knowing how to speak and walk and talk and simply to NOT FEAR being isolated by being too different.

This course is literally the sort of thing that created the "self hating jew" except apply it to Caucasians, what is scary is what Caucasians will once again become when the survivors the ones who didn't buy into the self hatred emerge after the fact in this endless, stupid, pathetic cycle, what the Israelis are today is what Caucasians will actually be when the dust settles and that will be scary as hell.

This is a cycle and one that needs to be broken, the concept of a United States was a good one, a Union of States with their own rules and identities that agree to cooperate this is what the model of a global world should be acceptance of other states as friends without the need to Impose Global social rules or cultures. What we are doing including vis the UN is fighting each other for a "One world" philosophy and this will go round and round until we destroy each other. Nothing about multiculturalism respects culture, borders or Identity any more than the Nazis did.

Eloquently put.

posted on Jan, 25 2015 @ 09:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: Jamie1

originally posted by: ladyinwaitingETA: I truly am convinced there is no such thing as a "race bashing class" at any University in the U.S.

Seriously?

Try talking to some students who take the class and were offended by it.

Or try talking to college students at any major university.

Or try reading through the text books assigned by the professor for White Racism class.

By the way, you're link to "help me" understand what an "ethnic" university is didn't help much.

It's a university for "all ethnicities?"

What does that even mean? Why even designate it as an "ethnic" college then?

I actually considered going through these comments of yours and responding to them. But then I thought, why the hell would I want to do that?

Because you SPAM these boards so constantly with your bigotry, hatred, racism and the general disdain in which you hold everything and everyone that is not WASP, or not filled with GREED, but mostly because your response to other posts is often a series of twenty questions, sprinkled with your own brand of grandiosity, (does it elude you how annoying that is? I laughed when you asked me the question about the Ethnic Counseling Center. I thought "why doesn't he go SPam their website with a thousand leading, bigoted questions. (Actually you might learn more, if you did, so I recommend it).

You've come here with your fresh-faced, pretty little avatar, while in reality, you are something quite different, aren't you?

I suspect in actuality you are a MAN who is a paid shill for the KKK, or some other organization that promotes hatred and racism. Are you?

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 03:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: LOSTinAMERICA

originally posted by: GogoVicMorrow

I was told to check my white privilege by a fellow white college student the other day. All I had done was explain the difference in the bundy ranch standoof and the new case of NBP open carrying patrolling neighborhoods. I even defended the NBPs rights as long as the particular individualshadnt been threatening or committed any crimes.
I also pointed out he was confusing the black panther party with new black panthers and the kid blew his stack and went on a tirade about me and my white privilege. Colleges are breeding aome crazy thinking.

I would have told him the real deal. They are teaching you that to be a victim. If you keep on about it, it will manifest into the hate you wanted. You're not going to like the end result. So, if you're all done with your pity party, wanna talk about something constructive or do you want to put me on the defensive some more. If you want to go with putting me on the defensive, I'll be sure to school you in reality.

What are you talking about? You say "Iif you keep on about it it will manifest in the hate you wanted." What hate I wanted? Keep on about what? It was an anecdotal reply to someone else. Pity party? Either you meant to reply to someone else or you have lost the plot. i did give him the real deal and he shut his mouth. If you want to take personal offense to a story told to another poster that's cool, but you will be the one getting schooled. For now I'm just assuming you replied to the wrong person or completely misunderstood my anecdote.

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 03:37 AM
link   

I dont hate you. I started out the thread trying to be friendly and relate, but then you went off on something unrelated and absurd. Jewish people are semitic. Generally not consideres white. I know a lot of Jewish people who had a non Jewish parent or several generations away from the devout jews In their family that are white, but the Jewish people in the dight against Islic extremism, the Israelis arent xonsidered Caucasian I do not believe.
It doesnt matter, but the class waa obviously about the white majority and not Jews.

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 03:43 AM
link   

I dont want to go into another long discussion. The number of radical muslims is tiny compared to the number of Muslims.
If you did a ratio based argument, israeli attacks on Palestinins probably have a much larger percentage of that populayion killing Muslims than the other way around.

And no I have no problems with Jews. I have an ex gf thats Jewish and my current love interest is Jewish. The last girl I dated was half white half morrocan (skinny with dreads mmm) and from a muslim fam with many muslim friends though she wasnt practicing.

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 04:06 AM
link   
I think everybody is running with this to support their own theories. To me the course sounds like not only is it looking at white supremacy issues, but also the issue with being white and the problem of talking about issues of colour as a white person, and how that can make us uncormafortable.
I dont see anything inherently racist in the title or on the course synopsis.

posted on Jan, 18 2016 @ 10:26 PM
link   

portland community college is offering a month long discussion titled "Whiteness History Month: Context, Consequences, and Change".

www.pcc.edu...

quote from the source:

It’s readily accepted that white history is taught, year-round, to the exclusion of minority histories. But the literal history of whiteness — how and when and why what it means to be white was formulated — is always neglected. The construction of the white identity is a brilliant piece of social engineering. Its origins and heritage should be examined in order to add a critical layer of complexity to a national conversation sorely lacking in nuance.

i'm not sure what to think here.
i don't readily accept that white history is taught year-round. we have many discussions about black history, black leaders who influenced u.s. government policy. we have discussions about the immigration from mexico and it's impact on our economy. i'm going to sit back and see where this takes us. but i do worry that we as a nation are segregating ourselves. a nation divided will fall.

time will tell.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5   >>

join