It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Public University Faces Backlash Over ‘Problem Of Whiteness’ Course

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 24 2015 @ 01:18 PM
link   
The MSM has too many people brainwashed.

University Offers " The Problem of Whiteness " Course , Fox & Friends Pounces

Arizona State University now offering course on ‘problem of whiteness’ (Video)

posted on Jan, 24 2015 @ 01:25 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

And you just showed a great example of it.

I am sure that was your point, to show how Fox is trying to mislead people

posted on Jan, 24 2015 @ 01:30 PM
link   
a reply to: hangedman13

Please read the rest of my comments in the thread, where I clearly make the distinction between oppression by another race, vs of the same race, region etc.

Yes, I do understand, all the things you've mentioned.

~Tenth

posted on Jan, 24 2015 @ 01:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: hangedman13
a reply to: tothetenthpower

It is technically, a double standard, but White people haven't really suffered any oppression, historically, on the level of minorities. It's part of the reason we called them 'minorities' in the first place, cause we were sorta trying to actively remove them all from the Earth at some point or another.

Really whites haven't suffered oppression? Oppression is actually quite color blind. All that no Irish or no Italians was not oppressive? Or are you using faulty logic and lumping all people of African descent as being of one nationality? As for it just being a white thing, find out what a person of Chinese descent thinks of a white or black. That may be very enlightening. I was dating a Guyanese woman of Indian descent and let me tell you she would have made a KKK member proud with her views on blacks. Which was ironic considering how many blacks thought she was black, just because of the dark skin tone and kinky hair. The whole problem with this course go's beyond a poorly chosen title. It is the assumption the whites are the cause and reason for racism. Since a vast majority don't even know the actual history and more importantly recent history of the enslavement of Africans, we are going to get half truths that will be accepted as actual history.

This.... You have it correct.

It's not that many whites aren't or haven't showed racism towards minorities, through colonialism, slavery, and now days institutionalized racism in some forms. This has happened, and it has been horrific.

It's that the narrative is very inaccurate. The pop social justice narrative has become "only white people are racist, and if it exists in Guatemala or China then it's because colonialist whites taught it to them. And no, whites have never been oppressed. And yes, all Whites' ancestors owned slaves. And even though it's wrong to stereotype or say prejudicial statements about Asians/Latinos/Africans, it is perfectly okay to say such things about Whites and if you have a problem with it you need to stfu because you of course are either a closet racist for daring to question the narrative or you are deluded by white privilege. OBVIOUSLY!"

You are 100% correct that all races can and have shown racism, oppression towards minorities. I lived in China for a year. They would say very clear and overt racist statements about other races, especially black, all of the time. My Chinese boss would.
The Japanese, Chinese, and Koreans all are well noted for having superiority complexes towards other races.

Moroever, even non-white inter-ethnic oppression is demonstrably extant throughout history. The Aztecs most definitely practiced oppressive colonialism and tyranny over 90% of Mexico. Remember, the Aztecs were a powerful small minority that subjected other tribes to their rule, and required human sacrifice tribute. The Incan's believed that they too were superior, descended from the Gods, and had the right to subject countless other groups within the Incan Empire. In recent times, tribes in Rwanda and Sudan committed full on genocide on other tribes.

Long-story short, the narrative that racism or institutionalized oppression is a "white thing" is completely inaccurate, and offensive in itself as it essentializes a negative characteristic onto one race.
edit on 24-1-2015 by Quetzalcoatl14 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2015 @ 01:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: ladyinwaiting
a reply to: Quetzalcoatl14

Random question, which shows my lack of ATS skills. How do I do the multi-quote thing like you are doing?

Anytime you want to know how someone did something here, just "quote" the post, and you can see it there.

Just a tip someone else taught me.

Sorry for the OT.

Thanks!

posted on Jan, 24 2015 @ 02:01 PM
link   
There is an agenda to publically shame white people. This is becoming more and more obvious every day.
Remember they wanted white people to wear "white privilege wristbands"?

Ring a bell? That is pure nazi tactics, only this time it's completely inverted, history does seem to have a sense of irony.

The really insidious part is that these types of initiatives is mostly at the behest of self-righteous bleeding heart whites out to "save" minorities. Another inverted historical trend, the white man's burden of saving 'the savages' from themselves. It actually seems to spring from the same sense of superiority in my opinion, only this time it's largely subconscious, I find it quite condescending.

Without whites as a clear majority going out of their way to embrace this type of cultural relativism and making it mainstream most minorities probably wouldn't be so brazen. You can actually feel the hate some of these radicals radiate. But in the end I think this is "trickle down ideology", all official institutions in the West seem to have adopted this ideology and has been pushing it from actual discrimination of minorities beyond to (sometimes) insane areas, always pushing the limit further. What is the chance of this type of almost unanimous "collaboration" happening by itself without incredibly powerful interests backing it?
Cultural Marxism is literally a state religion in Sweden where I live, it is largely unacceptable to hold certain dissident opinions and both government and media will go to extreme lengths to supress them. And of course the majority go along with it, shaming people and freezing them out. Many normal people lose jobs for holding the wrong opinion, no joke.

This is divide and conquer in action folks.
Not only have they divided us along racial lines and largely broken up the family unit.
They have divides us between genders, between sexes.
They have divided us between left and right, poor and rich.
They have us divided religiously, politically, economically and ideologically.

All they'll have to do is wait for the right disaster and they can have us at each other's throats and at their mercy.

posted on Jan, 24 2015 @ 02:05 PM
link   
If you are waiting for me to have white guilt, you'll be waiting a long long time. Anyone who pays to take this class is a moron. I would drop the class and if it was mandatory, I'll be going elsewhere. Shift the blame to where the problem really is.

I already had to take the diversity class the ignorant bastards told me was required. You know I couldn't resist speaking my mind. We really don't have a chance. I mean of repairing it. Save your money on college for bullets. You can thank me later.

posted on Jan, 24 2015 @ 02:21 PM
link   
I'm starting to lose the will to care about white people anymore. They seem destined to be phased out via self-flagellation. No other race demonstrates such behavior. White people are easily led that they believe anything they're told or hear on tv. They can no longer think a single thought for themselves.

posted on Jan, 24 2015 @ 03:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: ladyinwaiting

The writers would be considered to be similar to the KKK or some backwoods racist

Peeps, this is ARIZONA. They are going to do anything BUT bash white people. lol. When have you ever known Arizona-ites to bash the great white majority who never made a mistake in the course of history? lol.

Get a grip. It's not what you think it is. Common sense dictates............ It's a "catchy" title to get students to sign up. Follow the money.

Now, if this were an all-ethnic college, and they had a course like that, then maybe I would give pause......

Wow.... your entire post about it being in Arizona is racist.

It's exactly what the title says it is.

And what exactly is an "ethnic" college?

posted on Jan, 24 2015 @ 03:11 PM
link   
a reply to: CharlieSpeirs

Oh but it does have to do with supremacist thinking and genocide. They are teaching us that we should all feel guilty for our ethnicity (if white) and if not white that they should hate us for our apparent supremacist behavior and thoughts that we can't help but have (even if we don't) because we're white.

And the mistrust that is sown by courses such as these will set us up for genocide. It happens all over the world when you constantly divide two sides using hatred as the motive.

posted on Jan, 24 2015 @ 03:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: LOSTinAMERICA

I already had to take the diversity class the ignorant bastards told me was required. You know I couldn't resist speaking my mind. We really don't have a chance. I mean of repairing it. Save your money on college for bullets. You can thank me later.

"Diversity" is pure Orwellian doublespeak.

You must value "diversity" just like we do.

Otherwise we will punish you.

What's really insidious about courses like these is that the grading is subjective. A student who disagrees will be penalized with a bad grade.

It's pure indoctrination.

posted on Jan, 24 2015 @ 03:13 PM
link   

Let me guess ... the course is all about how dominate culture is permeated with whiteness and that is a problem because ... and instead of there being an actual dialogue, the students are expected to sit there and listen to their prof rail against the terrible whiteness of it all?

posted on Jan, 24 2015 @ 03:24 PM
link   

And what you are advocating is NOT correct. You are advocating for revenge not righting old wrongs.

You actively want a double standard so that you can discharge that massive chip on your shoulder. It is not making things equal; it is creating inequality that flows the other way.

Two wrongs do not make a right, and you are indeed setting us up for only more hatred and division and those things do indeed lead to genocide historically. But if you eventually want to see some groups actively trying to completely exterminate other groups in this country ... be my guest. By all means continue to advocate for misguided of punishment of people who had NOTHING to do with historic wrongs you are peeved over.

posted on Jan, 24 2015 @ 03:25 PM
link   
Maybe we should all just wait until we hear from some one actually taking the class before we jump to the assumption this class sole purpose is to paint white people as the worst people on earth.

posted on Jan, 24 2015 @ 03:28 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

I don't know whether to take that as serious or sarcastic.

I don't see how this course, which has been given a description of what it entails, is any sort of master race plan...

It sounds like your describing the media, not the class in the OP...

& my guess is that it will be a majority White class...
Ethnic minorities already know how they were oppressed and the ins and outs...

So who is gonna genocide the White race...
These White people who are being asked to take part in a discussion that, & I quote, is being avoided?

Because really any time I hear about racism on these boards, it doesn't become a discussion of what happened...
It turns into a "but it happened to everyone, even Whites...
Which is hardly productive imo.

As for supremacy... I don't buy it.

Not after actually reading what the course is about...

The best I can do, is agree that the title of the course is pretty dumb... In its "cut down media version"...

When I see the whole title, Race Theory: The Problem With Whiteness...
I'm actually inclined to believe it's a sarcastic title aimed at those who perceive racism to be inherently a White thing...

I guess we are all wrong, until someone who actually takes the course explains to everyone what it is really about.
edit on 24-1-2015 by CharlieSpeirs because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2015 @ 03:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: wingsfan
I'm starting to lose the will to care about white people anymore. They seem destined to be phased out via self-flagellation. No other race demonstrates such behavior. White people are easily led that they believe anything they're told or hear on tv. They can no longer think a single thought for themselves.

LOL

posted on Jan, 24 2015 @ 03:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: Jamie1

originally posted by: LOSTinAMERICA

"Diversity" is pure Orwellian doublespeak.

You must value "diversity" just like we do.

Otherwise we will punish you.

What's really insidious about courses like these is that the grading is subjective. A student who disagrees will be penalized with a bad grade.

It's pure indoctrination.

I told them that. How I passed was beyond me. I read and answered the way I knew they wanted. It's horse #. All you have to do is open your eyes and see it doesn't work. All sides understand that. That's why when you see cliques, it's of the same race usually. The moral majority is tribal because we are human. It's part of our nature. People can call it racism and try to get free # if they want but deep down people know the deal.

The problem with whiteness is not saying anything. Say something?

posted on Jan, 24 2015 @ 03:45 PM
link   
It's always worthwhile doing a bit of investigating to see exactly who is promoting these courses about "white privilege" and "The problem with Whiteness". You'll usually find it is the same 1% who are offshoring jobs and raising prices, then claiming it's the middle classes who are taking all the money and holding everyone else down.

posted on Jan, 24 2015 @ 04:10 PM
link   
a reply to: LOSTinAMERICA

My husband knows of someone who did say something. It was in a diversity training where that person worked. They tried the old "Have you ever been discriminated against because ..." game that is designed to divide the room into white folks on one side the non-white folks on the other. They did everything to get this guy on the other side of the room with the rest of the white folks until finally they asked "Have you ever been discriminated against because of the color of your skin?" He still didn't move, and they got pissed and accused him of lying to be difficult. That's when he rolled up sleeves to show he had full Yakuza-style tattoos up each arm. And he said "If you think I haven't been discriminated against because of these, you're being dishonest with yourself."

The trainers complained to his boss. Lucky for him his boss thought they were full of it.

posted on Jan, 24 2015 @ 04:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: stormcell
It's always worthwhile doing a bit of investigating to see exactly who is promoting these courses about "white privilege" and "The problem with Whiteness". You'll usually find it is the same 1% who are offshoring jobs and raising prices, then claiming it's the middle classes who are taking all the money and holding everyone else down.

Well in this case it's a liberal college professor at Arizona State.

If you can provide even the tiniest scintilla of evidence to support your claim, please feel free to post it here.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join