It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dog left chained up in freezing cold behind Walmart in Michigan chews own paw off to get free

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 23 2015 @ 08:21 PM
link   
Heartless bastards!

(Is humanity getting worse? It certainly seems that way. Trust me when I say this story gets worse.)

Roseville Police are searching for two men who left a dog chained up behind a Walmart on Sunday, forcing the dog to chew off its paw as it tried to escape the bitter cold.

The dog, which has since been named Courtney, is expected to recover, said Diana Rascano, president and cofounder of 4 Paws 1 Heart.

Courtney, a mixed breed around the age of 2, was found Sunday by a Walmart employee who noticed the dog was tied up. The employee called the police, who then notified an animal control officer. The officer works closely with the Hopeful Heart Rescue organization based out of Roseville, led by Melanie Wittner, who assisted in Courtney's rescue.

Roseville Police said two men were seen on surveillance tape leaving the area before Courtney was found.

Let's hope someone can identify the devils!

"She was trying to get away," Rascano said. "The vet said what saved her was the tourniquet that caused the blood flow to stop, and the subfreezing weather may have frozen some of the wound so that she didn't bleed to death."

Rascano said after the amputation, another horrifying discovery was made. "They felt a lump in her stomach and saw there were shards of bones, which were her paw," she said. "She had not only chewed it but eaten it. They had to do surgery because the shards from the bone could have caused issues with her intestine."

The two emergency surgeries cost around $2,000.

Yup, poor thing not only chewed her paw off, but ate it too! Makes me wonder when was her last meal! They've already received inquiries from people wanting to adopt her. I hope whomever does adopt her gives her the wonderful life she so obviously deserves!

posted on Jan, 23 2015 @ 08:35 PM
link   
Sometimes I wonder how we can possibly be of the same species as some of our peers....

posted on Jan, 23 2015 @ 08:39 PM
link   
That is infuriating! There is no excuse to treat an animal in such a way!!!!!!!

posted on Jan, 23 2015 @ 08:47 PM
link   
Ugh.
I damn near see red when I read something like this.
Poor pup

posted on Jan, 23 2015 @ 08:49 PM
link   
Most heartbreaking thread of the week...

Hard to express how I feel about this...

T&Cs.

insert-trousers-pick-ice-down-and.

Use your imaginations & rearrange the words.

posted on Jan, 23 2015 @ 08:53 PM
link   
I wish I could snuggle with her and show her we are not all bad. I can't bring her paw back but I can show I love her and her kind, I wouldn't let her watch if I met the men responsible for their actions because it would scare her. This is probably the saddest thing I have read in a long time I almost wish you had not posted this.

posted on Jan, 23 2015 @ 09:01 PM
link   
a reply to: Anyafaj

Things like this have me rationalizing murder.

posted on Jan, 23 2015 @ 09:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: Brotherman
I wish I could snuggle with her and show her we are not all bad. I can't bring her paw back but I can show I love her and her kind, I wouldn't let her watch if I met the men responsible for their actions because it would scare her. This is probably the saddest thing I have read in a long time I almost wish you had not posted this.

I know the feeling. I saw it on Drudge and when I saw that not only had she chew the paw off but it was worse, it broke my heart and made me wish I hadn't clicked the article. I was ready to cry. My cousin is a vet tech taking care of the animals from the large apartment fire in Edgewater, NJ for free. This would break her heart to see this! She drove back and forth during Hurricane Sandy through downed trees and powerlines to check on the animals to make sure they were ok daily. I can guarantee you, if she didn't have too many animals as it was, she would definitely adopt Courtney.

Bergen County Animal Shelter NJ

posted on Jan, 23 2015 @ 09:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: NOTurTypical

When you see men freed from Capital punishment years later because of a DNA test, you think, oh we need to get rid of that!

Then you read a story like this. You think, fry the bastard!

posted on Jan, 23 2015 @ 09:44 PM
link   

before brotherman was a marine I grew up on a farm in rural pennsylvania, when I was born we had a stray come onto the farm he used to stay by the chicken house but never killed them. My grandpa used to shoo it away until the same stray used to run off ground hogs. the dog got a spot by an old walnut tree, they named it toddy. That was the first dog I got to know he was a mean and grizzly bastard too, never screw with his food dish other then that he was a good dog, i used to throw walnuts and he would fetch them, let him off the chain he would follow my pop pop on a tractor used to kill snakes, ground hogs, moles, mice anything the guy was the orkin dog ridding us of vermin. He learned eventually how to move the goats around and the sheep my grandpa didnt have to teach him much cause toddy just followed him around and did what he always did. He became valuable because he used to work to, I loved it cause my sis and I used to play with him, I was very sad when he died I was 6 or 7 ever since I have always had a dog and never forgot toddy. I guess that was a bit of a rant but the thing is, the damn hound was never allowed in the house unless it was that cold, I mean when it snowed we let him in the barn but when it was super cold he slept in my room with me and my little brother we had a room next to the wood stove, lol that was back when tv's used to come in those wood frames like coffee tables lol my grandpa used to always yell and bitch at him cause he would lay down to close to the tv yet the dog wouldn't like being in my room when the door was closed I always used to think he was just used to being outside. It makes me sad people treat their dogs like this. Since toddy I have had 4 German Shepards, A malamute, a rhodisian ridgeback, and yorkies with a jack russel throughout the years.

posted on Jan, 23 2015 @ 09:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: Anyafaj

originally posted by: NOTurTypical

When you see men freed from Capital punishment years later because of a DNA test, you think, oh we need to get rid of that!

Then you read a story like this. You think, fry the bastard!

I have zero sympathy for anyone that abuses animals, children, the handicapped, or women.

posted on Jan, 23 2015 @ 10:11 PM
link   
Well, perhaps we should be worried about the mental state of the person(s) who did this, yes what they did was wrong but this sounds like a cry for help from someone who is not stable.

Rather than killing him as you 'savages' want to do maybe we should treat the person(s) with professional treatment and diagnoses before making such savage judgements. Seriously some of you people who immediately think "lets kill him!" you people need medical professional help.

What happened to the dog is unfortunate and wrong, but we do not know the condition of the individual(s) and why they did this, or even if that person is still alive, I mean dont be so quick to jump to conclusions.

posted on Jan, 23 2015 @ 10:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: Brotherman

before brotherman was a marine I grew up on a farm in rural pennsylvania, when I was born we had a stray come onto the farm he used to stay by the chicken house but never killed them. My grandpa used to shoo it away until the same stray used to run off ground hogs. the dog got a spot by an old walnut tree, they named it toddy. That was the first dog I got to know he was a mean and grizzly bastard too, never screw with his food dish other then that he was a good dog, i used to throw walnuts and he would fetch them, let him off the chain he would follow my pop pop on a tractor used to kill snakes, ground hogs, moles, mice anything the guy was the orkin dog ridding us of vermin. He learned eventually how to move the goats around and the sheep my grandpa didnt have to teach him much cause toddy just followed him around and did what he always did. He became valuable because he used to work to, I loved it cause my sis and I used to play with him, I was very sad when he died I was 6 or 7 ever since I have always had a dog and never forgot toddy. I guess that was a bit of a rant but the thing is, the damn hound was never allowed in the house unless it was that cold, I mean when it snowed we let him in the barn but when it was super cold he slept in my room with me and my little brother we had a room next to the wood stove, lol that was back when tv's used to come in those wood frames like coffee tables lol my grandpa used to always yell and bitch at him cause he would lay down to close to the tv yet the dog wouldn't like being in my room when the door was closed I always used to think he was just used to being outside. It makes me sad people treat their dogs like this. Since toddy I have had 4 German Shepards, A malamute, a rhodisian ridgeback, and yorkies with a jack russel throughout the years.

Growing up, we had a part lab, part sheltie, part spaniel mix. Oh she was a sweety pie. She had spaniel ears, a lab coat and black and white sheltie coloring. She would try and sleep on someone's bed and was constantly shooed away, but not me. I always let her sleep on my bed. Her and anyone of the 5 cats. My dad called our place the zoo. We had 5 kids, one dog, 5 cats, 2 guinea pigs, 2 birds, and a 4 1/2 foot Ball Python named Vicious. Plus my stepmother was constantly taking in stray kids. Whenever the phone rang, my dad would answer with "*our last name* Zoo, who are you looking for?" LOL Yeah, definitely a full house!

Now I have a part Chihuahua, part Jack Russell, and part Mini-Pincher, but all love. She's the sweetest thing. She's all bark, no bite. This is a dog who after she goes to the bathroom, runs and hides behind my feet, she's so scared of her own shadow. LOL Yet, if she sees someone, she'll bark and bark and bark, but the second they look, she hides behind me, when they stop looking, she runs to their legs to smell who they are, if they look, back behind me again. Funny little Miss. We call her Calyssa after a Barbie character in one of the popular Barbie movies for girls. Callie for short.

I love all animals immensely and I'm an extremely empathetic person. If someone hurts, I hurt. So reading what this dog went through, I could feel her pain, which only upset me more. At the end of the article with her licking the staff shows she still has faith in humanity, which is wonderful news! I hope whatever home she goes to shows her that we aren't all bad. Some of us have large hearts and abound with the same love she obviously has and we'd give anything to show it to her!
edit on 1/23/2015 by Anyafaj because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 23 2015 @ 10:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: honested3
Well, perhaps we should be worried about the mental state of the person(s) who did this, yes what they did was wrong but this sounds like a cry for help from someone who is not stable.

Rather than killing him as you 'savages' want to do maybe we should treat the person(s) with professional treatment and diagnoses before making such savage judgements. Seriously some of you people who immediately think "lets kill him!" you people need medical professional help.

What happened to the dog is unfortunate and wrong, but we do not know the condition of the individual(s) and why they did this, or even if that person is still alive, I mean dont be so quick to jump to conclusions.

You're right on the savagery. I apologize. I admit stories like this make me very angry.

This is 2 individuals according to the CCTV video. No matter what I hope they ARE found and made to stand for what they have done. I do fully doubt BOTH individuals shared the same mental illness, but if I am wrong, I promise to eat my words.

posted on Jan, 23 2015 @ 10:25 PM
link   
a reply to: honested3

So I can claim not guilty be reason of insanity after I kill them? I'm okay with that.

posted on Jan, 23 2015 @ 10:49 PM
link   

I didn't read anything but the topic and I don't want to know any details about it. I am familiar with animal abuse and i have zero tolerance for it. Unfortunately, our laws concerning mistreatment of animals are weak and, in some cases non-existent. This sickens and angers me. I have rescued dogs chained out in freezing weather and I'm torn between crying and raging.

posted on Jan, 23 2015 @ 11:04 PM
link   
a reply to: NOTurTypical

Nice picture of a cross there, im sure you know then that God knows your intentions. Maybe examine your heart a little more if that is how you really feel.

posted on Jan, 24 2015 @ 01:12 AM
link   
Let's make the men eat their hand off.

posted on Jan, 24 2015 @ 02:12 AM
link   
I used to be a meter reader in Houston. I went through hundreds of yards every day.
I have seen animals neglected and abused in ways that I will refrain from describing here.
It was truly some of the most saddening and disgusting sights I have experienced.
Some people should die.

posted on Jan, 24 2015 @ 02:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: Tangerine

I didn't read anything but the topic and I don't want to know any details about it. I am familiar with animal abuse and i have zero tolerance for it. Unfortunately, our laws concerning mistreatment of animals are weak and, in some cases non-existent. This sickens and angers me. I have rescued dogs chained out in freezing weather and I'm torn between crying and raging.

I know some are trying to make animal abuse a federal crime. This is one I would like to see passed. My sister used to have a rescued Chihuahua. A family had moved from their home and left the dog behind with no food and no water. She was helping my brother deliver his newspapers one day and she came across the house. There was nothing on the windows, so you could plainly see they had moved out. They dog was right in front of the window chained to the radiator. The door was unlocked, so she went in, rescued the dog, gave him so of our dogs dog food. She had him for 13 years and he was pampered for each one of them! So much so that he ate at the table and ate from a spoon! Yes, VERY pampered! LOL But he definitely lived the good life with her, she made sure of it!

She now has a part chow/part shepard, and my cat that her dog adopted. Her dog HATES all animals so it was a shock when he got along with my cat. I knew Trouble was in good hands, so when she asked to adopt her, I gave my blessing.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join