It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Chilli Cook Off - Okay, well just your best recipes!

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 24 2015 @ 10:14 AM
link   
I made low carb chilli for the first time last year, never had chilli before in my life, so I can't compare unfortunately, but it was very delicious, I added chunks of Lincolnshire sausage and mushrooms to it, lived on a bowl a day for two weeks and I never got sick of it which is weird
If I can find the recipe i'll post it up, I remember it being very simple.

posted on Jan, 24 2015 @ 10:57 AM
link   
a reply to: valiant

My chilli changes depending upon what is in the fridge and the pantry, but this is basically what results:

Fry lots of ground beef (perhaps a pound and half or two pounds), two finely chopped celery stalks, and one cooking onion (on the large size) in leftover bacon drippings and add A LITTLE soya sauce, garlic, ginger, parsley, oregano, salt, pepper, and bottled green and red salsa in a dutch oven - until everything is lightly cooked/married.

Drain off the fat - if desired - or leave it in there for more taste.

Then add - on the large size - cut up mushrooms (as many as is to your taste) and cut up fresh tomatoes - say about four medium sized ones on the vine (I like tomatoes on the vine as they are very flavourful) - I add a variety of cut up mushrooms as I particularly like oyster mushrooms.

Then add beef broth (a good store bought one with less salt), 1/2 a can of canned tomatoes (Italian), then (with a fork) mix a little taco and chilli powder mix in a cup of hot water, then add to the beef mixture - enough to cover (add hot water if you need more liquid).

Taste it after a 10 minute simmer and adjust seasoning as desired.

Add one can each of black and red kidney beans - then simmer another 10 minutes - taste - adjust seasonings for desired taste and heat. After it simmers for another half hour I usually add more green chilli salsa and parsley - just before serving.

I like a milder tasting chilli packed full of veggies and meat, but keep a bottle of hot sauce handy for those who like heat.

Hearty eating.

edit on 24-1-2015 by InTheLight because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2015 @ 11:45 AM
link   
a reply to: kosmicjack

I always like to try the winners of the Chili Cook-off Championships and one of my favorites was Puppy's Breath.

posted on Jan, 24 2015 @ 11:54 AM
link   

I make this veggie chili once a week year 'round. Simple but taste amazing!

My garden fresh vegetable chili. (garden veggies when available)
Hot peppers, jalapeno, assorted colors bell pepper,purple onion, Hunts no salt diced tomatoes, Green Giant Steamcrisp White Shoepeg corn, Lucks light red kidney beans, sea salt, fine ground black pepper, a dash of cinnamon, dash of olive oil, chili powder, quarter cup macaroni pasta, top with shredded cheese.

You can mix up what hot peppers you use or not add them at all. Also the bell peppers I usually use are a pack of 3 different colors. In the summer I get most all these veggies from my parents garden (except the beans) and it is AMAZINGLY tasty! Some people might want to add ground beef but I like it healthy and all veggie.

posted on Jan, 24 2015 @ 01:12 PM
link   
Venison no bean chili is our family favorite!
It is very thick and rich.

Beef stew meat or chicken breast will do just fine if you don't have venison.

2 Tblsp oil
3 to 4 lbs cut into 1/4 in strips of meat
chili powder your favorite kind
fresh garlic minced finely 3 or 4 cloves more if desired
large yellow onion diced
2 cans tomato sauce

Put A couple table spoons cooking oil into a cast iron dutch oven (or any large pot with lid) when hot 3 to 4 pounds of stew meat, salt, pepper and start browning. When meat is almost brown add enough chili powder 3 or 4 TBLSP to coat meat cook until meat and chili a starting to stick to the bottom of pan add onion and 1/4 to 1/2 cup water then add garlic cook until onion is transparent adding small amounts of water to keep from burn to bottom of pan. At this point you can out it into a slow cooker or stay with the stove top add the 2 cans of tomato sauce and simmer and stir all day until meat is falling apart and sauce is no longer watery. Taste and add salt, pepper, garlic or chili powder to taste.

Can be served over rice or just ate from a bowl, this is not your average chili to serve with crackers. Home made flour tortillas or corn bread go great with it.

When the wife and I make this we just go with how much venison stew meat we have left from cutting and wrapping steaks and roasts and adjust the batch to work with that amount of meat. If you choose to use the slow cooker plan to take the lid off to let some water evaporate to thicken up the chili.
edit on 24-1-2015 by AlaskanDad because: (no reason given)

edit on 24-1-2015 by AlaskanDad because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2015 @ 01:16 PM
link   

masa harina is what makes a chili go from okay to amazing

that and chipotle peppers

cumin

cayenne powder
edit on 24-1-2015 by Lysergic because: typlols

posted on Jan, 24 2015 @ 01:18 PM
link   
my fav
thepioneerwoman.com...

2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
1 whole Onion, Diced
4 cloves Garlic, Minced
2 pounds Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breasts, Cut Into A Large Dice
1 bottle (12 Ounce Bottle) Good Beer
1 can (14 Oz. Size) Diced Tomatoes
3 whole Chipotle Peppers In Adobo Sauce, Minced (use Less If Desired)
1 can (14 Oz. Size) Pinto Beans, Drained And Rinsed
1 can (14 Oz. Size) Black Beans, Drained And Rinsed
1 can (14 Oz. Size) Kidney Beans, Drained And Rinsed
1 Tablespoon Chili Powder
1 Tablespoon Ground Cumin
1 teaspoon Salt, More To Taste
1/4 cup Masa Harina
1 Lime, Juiced
Sour Cream, For Serving
Grated Sharp Cheddar Cheese, For Serving
Cilantro, For Serving
Lime Wedges For Serving

posted on Jan, 29 2015 @ 08:37 PM
link   

I use a variety of dried chilies that I roast and then pulverize to a powder. Ancho is a requrement with others as I can get, usually including a dried chipotle in the mix as well.

I use beef stock, diced tomatoes, lots of onion and definitely lots of garlic.

Cook your meat, whether you use stew meat, coarse ground burger or whatever with diced onion and garlic and drain, if necessary.

I add the stock and tomatoes, likely more garlic and onion along with about a tablespoon of the homemade chili mix, a bay leaf and let simmer for a couple or 3 hours. If I am using a coarse ground beef I do not include it in the simmering until the next stage.

I will usually add more chili powder at this point along with my beans. Sometimes I cook my own beans, or I will just crack open a can or 2. Kidney, red, pinto or black beans or a combination works well. Often I will add some smoke flavor around this point as well. Be careful, the object is a slightly smoky hint in the background, not a dominant flavor.

I will often add some finely chopped red bell pepper towards the end (I dont want the bell flavor to be lost by simmering it too long) and depending on taste I may also add more chili powder towards the end as well.

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 12:33 AM
link   

If you have no time and want good tasting chili then here you go.. buy this:

Its great seasoning..

(PS. Contrary to what another poster indicated, I do use the mesa flour, and some of the salt but not all.. the spices and various things in the kit you use the amount you desire for the taste - and thickness - you prefer.)
edit on 30-1-2015 by OpinionatedB because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1   >>

join