It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Chilli Cook Off - Okay, well just your best recipes!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 23 2015 @ 07:03 PM
link   
So it's chilli night in the Jack household.

*boring*

My baby has been phoning it in for years with a pack of McCormick Tex-Mex, Rotel and some Bush's Chilli beans.

So please ATS, inspire my hubby to think outside of the box. This is his one trick and we're all tired of it - even him. LoL!

Is it wrong to prefer easy recipes? I know chilli can have some snobbery attached to the end product but our family is perennially short on time. However, flavor and variety is certainly highly sought after at this point.

So, I'll happily take what you are willing to share. Halp?

posted on Jan, 23 2015 @ 07:13 PM
link   
I dont really have just one recipe for chili.
invest in some good cumin and chili powder (or grind your own with a spice grinder ahead of time) and ditch the McCormick's. When you have a decent supply of spices, you can make a meal to impress and enjoy out of anything.

posted on Jan, 23 2015 @ 07:13 PM
link   
a reply to: kosmicjack

I'm not the cook but my SO is and one year we entered the Terlingua Chili cook off,
www.chili.org...

With this recipe from the deep and hidden bowels of Tamalewood.

2 pounds of Elk flank cubed
1 pint canned tomatoes, or 2 large fresh tomatoes
2 cups cubed potatoes, red or white
1 1/2 cups diced onion
1 TBL minced garlic
2 cups roasted, peeled, chopped green chile--or to taste

We got disqualified for getting drunk and calling the judges "lightweights"

Green Chili here in NM is a staple and not for the faint of heart or stomach.
There is a huge difference between what is commonly know as Texas chili and NM Green Chili stew.

en.wikipedia.org...
edit on 23-1-2015 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 23 2015 @ 07:16 PM
link   

Chili with beans? Chili without beans?

Here's one we have done before....

1 lb ground deer meat ( I suppose you could substitute beef) browned and drained
1 large sweet onion finely chopped
1 large can peeled tomatoes
1 large can tomato sauce
16 ounces red kidney beans (we use dried, soaked overnight but, you could use canned)
"Brown Bag" Chili mix (just take out the mesa flour and salt, don't think it's needed)
1 small bag frozen kernel corn
Dump it all in the crock pot, stir it around, and voila! Delish! (To us of course!)

We love our Chili served over cornbread (sweet, yellow)

This fed us when there were only 4, now there is 7 so, I double the recipe and make sure there are leftovers....

posted on Jan, 23 2015 @ 07:23 PM
link   

This is my recipe for chili, while it isn't the easiest recipe in the world, it is liked by many.

1-2lbs lean ground beef
1 bell pepper diced
1 can green chili's chopped
2 cans chili beans
2 cans Italian style diced tomatoes
1 large can crushed tomatoes
1 can light beans (use your favorite)
1 jalapeno pepper finely diced with seeds removed (add more for more heat less for mild to no heat)
1 large sweet onion diced
1 1/2 tsp cumin
1 tsp oregano
1 tsp garlic powder
1-2 tsp chili powder (adjust for heat and flavor)
1 tsp black pepper
1-2 tsp of salt (I usually start with one and after it simmers add more to adjust for your taste)

In your frying pan brown the ground beef with the diced onion. While that is browning add all the other ingredients to your pot, mix well and bring to a low simmer. After beef is browned and the onion is tender drain off the grease and add it to the pot with the other ingredients and mix well. I usually simmer this for about an hour to an hour and a half stirring it every 5-10 minutes or so.

Garnish with shredded cheese and sour cream if desired.

Goes great with a classic sweet corn bread.

ETA: Figured I might as well include the corn bread recipe I use in case anyone is interested.

Sweet corn bread:

4 eggs, whites and yolks seperated
1 cup milk
1 tsp. vanilla
3/4 cup butter, melted
1 cup cornmeal
2 cups flour
1-1/2 cups sugar
1 Tbsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt

Directions:

Preheat oven to 350ºF. In a medium-size bowl, combine egg yolks, milk, vanilla, and melted butter and stir. Mix in cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt - stirring to incorporate, but do not over mix. In a separate bowl, beat egg whites until stiff peaks form. Carefully fold them into the batter. Pour into a greased 9x13 inch pan and bake for 25-30 minutes. Check with a toothpick to make sure it is cooked through.

Enjoy!

edit on 1/23/2015 by SpaDe_ because: Added corn bread recipe

posted on Jan, 23 2015 @ 07:26 PM
link   

Ok, so ya need a good Cast Iron 5-8 qt cooker.

Dice
2 large White onions
3 cloves of garlic

Spices
Good Chili powder
Ancho Chili powder
Rosemary powedered
Thyme Powdered
Sage powdered
couple bay leaves
Paprika/smoked Paprika
Salt
Black Pepper
2lbs ground Pork
2 lbs 85/15 ground beef

Chestnut Flour
Red Gold Green Chili Diced Tomatos 2 cans
Black Beans 2 cans
Red Beans 2 cans

Oil pan, dump onions in as the onions begin to sweat add garlic, as garlic starts to sweat add a 1/4 tsp of each spice except Bay leaves. Once the fragrance hits your nose, its time to start browning the meat. add a pich of each spice again as the fat starts to render, keep stirring.

Once the meat is browned I add about 16oz of broth (beef/veggie mix from aseptic containers) I bring the whole mess to a simmer, throw in the bay leaves, a pinch of the spices. Add about 4-6 tblsp of of Chestnut flour (health food store), all the beans, tomatos And reduce for some hours. Now I left out the tabaso peppers I grow and dry for this as Im not sure of your families heat tolerance....but the sweet of the chestnut flour with the heat of the peppers, and the savory spices makes for a wonderful meal served with cornbread....slow cooking and cast iron is KEY for cooking meats without flame to produce the proper flavor.

Feel free to ask any questions.

Good luck!
edit on 23-1-2015 by BlueJacket because: lol forgot the beans an tomatos damn!

posted on Jan, 23 2015 @ 07:28 PM
link   

Hi Kosmic:

We love chilli night - but I only make it about every 3 weeks since it is only Mr. Missie and I - last kiddo gone (miss him like crazy, but YEAH!)

Any hoo, I make mine with William's Chilli mix, 1/2 hamburger and 1/2 sausage (hot), Dark red kidney beans, diced canned tomatoes, a little fresh cilantro, 1 chopped onion (I use purple, but we like it spicy) and last but not least a little bit of brown sugar.

I brown the meats and onion in a dutch oven (drain off most oil not all), add 2 to 3 cans of tomatoes and kidney beans (more of course for more servings), a can of water, and add the Wlliam"s chilli mix, cilantro and brown sugar.

Bring to a rapid boil while stirring for about 2 or 3 minutes, then reduce heat and cover let cook for whatever works with your schedule (at least 30 to 45 minutes though). The longer it cooks on low, the better it tastes. And it freezes well.

I serve with fritos or doritos and/or flour or corn tortillas.

Coors and wine and you are set.

edit on Jan2923230129232329America/Chicago by Missmissie173 because: spelling

posted on Jan, 23 2015 @ 07:31 PM
link   
Chili huh?

Ok here's the recipe we've been using and tweaking for a few years now.

2 tbsp. olive oil
2 lbs ground beef (spring for the lean stuff)
1 lb ground pork (this is where the fat comes from)
4 c yellow onion, chopped
2 c green pepper chopped
8 tsp garlic minced (but whose paying attention to how much really goes in?)
4 tbsp. chili powder (or some mix of various chili powders ... like ancho, chipotle, hatch etc.)
2 tbsp. season all (season salt, Emeril's Essence, just a good all-purpose season blend)
1 tsp salt
4 tsp ground cumin
2 tsp oregano
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
28 oz can crushed tomatoes
6 tbsp. tomato paste (we've been using sun-dried tomato paste recently)
2 tsp sugar
dash of favorite hot sauce (any kind)
4 c water
2 cans each kidney, pinto and black beans

1. heat the oil in a large pot and brown the meat
2. add the onion green pepper garlic chili powder season all salt, cumin oregano and cayenne. Cook stirring until soft.
3. Add the tomatoes paste, sugar and water to the pot with a dash of hot sauce (any kind will do; dash to taste). Stir well.
4. Rinse and drain the beans and add to the pot. Stir well and bring to a boil. Lower the heat to medium-low and simmer uncovered for 30 minutes. Stir occasionally to prevent sticking.
5. Remove pot from heat and serve with favorite chili fixings.

This recipe is designed to produce a large pot that will feed the three of us with leftovers for most of a week. So you may want to cut the recipe down some.

posted on Jan, 23 2015 @ 07:37 PM
link   
a reply to: the owlbear

I definitely want to ditch the McCormick's - too much salt, not enough interesting flavor.

posted on Jan, 23 2015 @ 07:41 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

I like that bean combo! Much more interesting than what my hubby does.

About the sugar. .I know you use it to cut the acidity of the tomato, aside from that, do you think removing it would significantly change the flavor? It's not a lot though, really.

posted on Jan, 23 2015 @ 07:43 PM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

LoL!!

You used elk flank...of couse everyone else was a "lightweight", no matter how drunk you were.

posted on Jan, 23 2015 @ 07:51 PM
link   
a reply to: TNMockingbird

We've used/enjoyed the brown bag mix before and it was good. I never thought to leave out the flour/mesa before but it's just for thickening so if you watch your liquid levels I can see how that can cut the gratuitous pasty carb content.

a reply to: Missmissie173

So that's two for sausage in the mix...interesting. I've never considered that but we'll have to give it a try.
What's William's chilli mix?

a reply to: SpaDe_

I could/will do that. Thanks! Too hard for the hubby I think, he's a lazy cook. LoL!

a reply to: BlueJacket

I'm totally with you on the cast iron - a must. What is chestnut flour?

edit on 1/23/2015 by kosmicjack because: (no reason given)

edit on 1/23/2015 by kosmicjack because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 23 2015 @ 07:52 PM
link   

We've never tried it without the sugar, but feel free to do so. We wind up using so little sugar in the regular course of things that it's rare we go through a pound in a year so the little bit the chili hasn't ever bothered me.

I've never thought about it as something that changes the flavor profile a whole lot although if you use the sun-dried tomato paste it might. You could try using something else to cut acidity though.

posted on Jan, 23 2015 @ 07:58 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Of course you're right, it's really not alot. Our usage is similar, not even a pound a year. I'm just on a paranoid "sugar is the devil!" jag ATM, ignore me.

posted on Jan, 23 2015 @ 08:01 PM
link   

Chestnut flour is found in any Whole Foods, Earth Fare, Fresh Thyme, or most independent Health food stores. Its simply dried chestnuts powdered. There are a number of nut flours many of which go back to Frontiersman and the American Native Peoples...they impart really deep flavors, some like acorn flour boil the acorns before drying and powdering to remove the excessive tannins, but Katy bar the door, acorn flour makes a helluva good pancake!

posted on Jan, 23 2015 @ 08:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: kosmicjack
a reply to: the owlbear

I definitely want to ditch the McCormick's - too much salt, not enough interesting flavor.

A wee tip.
If you love a salty seasoning like me, ditch your regular cooking salts and use Celtic Sea Salt. Slightly less salty in taste and always keep your sodium intake controlled but this stuff is the natural minerals ants pants.

Health Benefits of Celtic Sea Salt

posted on Jan, 23 2015 @ 08:58 PM
link   

I kinda experimented and got one this last time that we really liked alot. I will give it to you here and it is so easy to make.
Dimi's chili:

2 lbs ground beef
1 pkg Chiliman Chili powdered mix
1 pkg Taco seasoning mix
1 can Diced Tomatoes w/garlic and oregano
1 can Tomato sauce (not the little one the regular size)
3 cans of Chili Magic (2 Texas style and 1 regular)
8 tbsps of sugar
1 tbsp of Garlic powder (heaping)
1/2 white onion

Cook up ground beef and onion with garlic powder and Chiliman mix and Taco seasoning mix in a large skillet until browned. While cooking throw in the rest of the ingredients into a large pot and start simmering it. When ground beef and seasonings have browned,add into pot and stir up. Let simmer for at least 30 minutes and test for your own taste.But you may just like it the way it is,we did.

posted on Jan, 23 2015 @ 09:10 PM
link   
Here's one our the favorites, courtesy of a former member, Barking Dog Amato. Reprinted with his permission.

My Favorite Chili Prep: 30 min Cook: 4-6 hr Serves: 10 plus.

Ingredients.
1 pound bacon, diced into 1-inch pieces
2 pounds pork sausage
3 pounds course chopped or course ground beef chuck
4 Jalapeno, chopped OR 1 or 2 jalapeno chopped and 1 or 2 Habanero chopped OR 2 Jalapenos, chopped, 3 Anaheim chiles, roasted, peeled, chopped, 3 Poblano chiles, roasted, peeled, chopped. OR 2 Jalapenos, chopped, 2 Anaheim chiles, roasted, peeled, chopped, 2 Poblano chiles, roasted, peeled, chopped, 1 Habanero.
1 or 2 green or yellow bell pepper (depends on size), coarsely chopped
4 to 6 cloves garlic, finely chopped, your call
2 cans (15 ounces) crushed tomatoes 3 pounds onion, finely chopped
1 can (28 ounces) tomato sauce
1 tablespoon ground cumin
1 tablespoon black pepper
3 to 6 tablespoons chili powder (Chili Powder from the Food Network Alton Brown Good Eats)
1 tablespoon crushed red pepper
1 cup ketchup (Heinz Kickin' Hot Ketchup or other spiced ketchup)
4 dashes Cholula hot sauce or as you like.
3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
1 cup water
1 cup sugar
Salt to taste (The bacon and sausage add enough for me most of the time.)

Additions you can try.
12 ounces lager beer, cut out the water if you use this.
2 teaspoons ground coriander
2 cans (28 ounces) chili beans If you insist on making fake chili!

Directions In a large frying pan, cook bacon until crispy; drain and add to a slow cooker or large pot. Then brown the sausage in the frying pan; drain and add to pot with bacon. Then brown the ground beef; drain and add to the pot with the other meats. Add all the remaining ingredients to the pot, and simmer for 4 to 6 hours for best results.

To go with it.
Cilantro Cheddar cheese
Sour cream
Sourdough biscuits or bread.
Beans Red or Black
Roasted corn

BDA

edit on 23/1/2015 by LamontCranston because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 23 2015 @ 09:19 PM
link   
a reply to: LamontCranston

Dang that sounds awesome! It might put me in the hospital though with all the peppers and hot sauce, but I guess I'd either need more beer or kick it while happy.

Sounds definitely like man's recipe too. My uncle cooks like that.

posted on Jan, 23 2015 @ 10:36 PM
link   
If you like avocado, simply mash up some avocado and add a little salt to taste. It's a very basic guacamole. But I've found that it can soak a lot of spice from chili, and the fat in it is a bit healthier for you than the fat in sour cream.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join