It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Likely Cause of Addiction Has Been Discovered, And It Is Not What You Think

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 03:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: Biginalabama
a reply to: [post=18913598]purplemer[/po

A person becoming a drug addict has many different factors, Genetics, environmental conditioning, Chemical imbalance. The drugs them self are almost never the problem. When a person is able to work out the underlying issues that they are using the drugs to cope with they recover and lead healthy normal lives. The "Functioning Drug Addict" finds a way to live with their addiction, instead of letting their addiction live their life.

So you're saying it ultimately comes down to the choice to use or not use the substance.

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 04:34 PM
link   
a reply to: Tangerine

You do realize we are talking about addiction, not abuse/use correct? No one chooses to be addicted, otherwise no one would make that choice and no one would be addicted. You are talking about choosing to use drugs, there is a big difference between the two, and I don't think you are grasping it.

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 05:31 PM
link   
I don't know, I was just thinking how this topic brought out a lot of ignorant responses.

a reply to: SirKonstantin

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 09:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: Tangerine

Look back to the point where the person CHOOSES to use heroin, for example.

I did. It was taken into consideration. Unlike you, I found no need to focus on this one point and disregard causal links to and from this point, or integrate this with all the other points surrounding the issue.

Your CHOICE to focus on this speaks towards your bias. Not much else.

posted on Jan, 27 2015 @ 01:01 AM
link   
I liked this idea very much. I think I agree with the writer quite a lot. However one thing I really need to check out. According to to this idea, the cigarette smokers should be able to be said they are more cut off than others or at least they have some connection problems. But are they really? I have a lot of friends who are heavy smokers but they never seemed to have those problems than me or non smokers. I am not arguing but just want to know. I will appreciate anyone's comments.

posted on Jan, 27 2015 @ 02:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: sputniksteve

You do realize we are talking about addiction, not abuse/use correct? No one chooses to be addicted, otherwise no one would make that choice and no one would be addicted. You are talking about choosing to use drugs, there is a big difference between the two, and I don't think you are grasping it.

Oh, I get it. I don't think you get that one has to choose to use the substance to which one becomes addicted. Correct me if I'm mistaken, but I believe you said you were a happy, successful person who became a heroin addict. Again, correct me if I'm mistaken, but unless someone held a gun to your head, you chose to use heroin. Had you not chosen to use heroin, you would not have become addicted to heroin.

I am also assuming that you are no longer using heroin (correct me if I'm mistaken). Did you not choose to stop using heroin? Again: choice. If I'm missing something, please explain.
edit on 27-1-2015 by Tangerine because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 27 2015 @ 02:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: pl3bscheese

originally posted by: Tangerine

Look back to the point where the person CHOOSES to use heroin, for example.

I did. It was taken into consideration. Unlike you, I found no need to focus on this one point and disregard causal links to and from this point, or integrate this with all the other points surrounding the issue.

Your CHOICE to focus on this speaks towards your bias. Not much else.

Yes, let's not hold anyone responsible for their behavior. Are you happy now?

posted on Jan, 27 2015 @ 06:57 AM
link   

I'd be a little happier if you bothered to read my post just a page back, unless you simply have a problem being intellectually honest. Whatever the case, not my deal. You're responsible for your behavior.

posted on Jan, 27 2015 @ 10:11 AM
link   
a reply to: purplemer

While I agree that this is (sorta) one piece to a complex disease such as addiction, this "study" leaves out way too many variables. It is incomplete and it's use of scientific method is laughable at best.

Many people, who have been raised in perfectly loving homes, absent of any wants and needs, have become addicts. Children with happy lives. Children with fulfilling lives have become addicts. Not because of their lives, not because of what they used. But because they were genetically inclined to the disease.

posted on Jan, 27 2015 @ 11:00 AM
link   

I'd be a little happier if you bothered to read my post just a page back, unless you simply have a problem being intellectually honest. Whatever the case, not my deal. You're responsible for your behavior.

You nailed it right there. Incapable of having a rational discussion due to lack of knowledge so the use of straw man arguments constantly ,serves to attempt to make them appear knowledgable. The Straw mans are impossible to argue against from a logical point of view so it also serves to make them look like they are "winning" the argument and making points that we are unable to counter. Ridiculously transparent and a little bit sad, because I am not certain it is being done on purpose, I think they possibly just don't know any better. Either way it is getting pretty old and hasn't contributed a single idea or thought to this thread.

posted on Jan, 27 2015 @ 12:50 PM
link   
a reply to: sputniksteve

That's correct. There's only two possibilities. Either they really are this unaware, else they are trolling. It doesn't matter. Not worth the bother.

posted on Jan, 27 2015 @ 03:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: sputniksteve

You nailed it right there. Incapable of having a rational discussion due to lack of knowledge so the use of straw man arguments constantly ,serves to attempt to make them appear knowledgable. The Straw mans are impossible to argue against from a logical point of view so it also serves to make them look like they are "winning" the argument and making points that we are unable to counter. Ridiculously transparent and a little bit sad, because I am not certain it is being done on purpose, I think they possibly just don't know any better. Either way it is getting pretty old and hasn't contributed a single idea or thought to this thread.

I notice that you have avoided answering my previous question about why you, a self-described happy and prosperous person, chose to use heroin and why you chose to take steps to stop being a heroin addict. I suspect that you didn't answer those questions because I included the word "chose" and you know very well that choice plays a role in addiction. You have repeatedly demonstrated that you want to remove all responsibility from the addict and place it on an alleged biological imperative to become an addict. I dispute that there is a biological imperative to become an addict. There may a biological propensity to become an addict if one chooses to use the substance but I do not believe that addicts have some sort of biological defect that programs them to stick a needle in their arms or snort a substance or take a drink the first time.

And I'm still waiting for you to provide your sources for your 80%/20% claim.
edit on 27-1-2015 by Tangerine because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 27 2015 @ 03:32 PM
link   

a reply to: sputniksteve

That's correct. There's only two possibilities. Either they really are this unaware, else they are trolling. It doesn't matter. Not worth the bother.

You left out a third possibility: we're not buying your bull.

posted on Jan, 27 2015 @ 07:27 PM
link   

Anyone who has participated in recreational drug use knows that there are exactly 2 reasons one does drugs:

1) to escape

2) to enjoy

I used drugs when I was in college and a couple years there after. The most carefree time in my life. Virtually no responsibilities. I was in the Honors program and was mildly challenged by my course load. Usually I took 18-21 hours per semester.

My use was strictly recreational. That lasted until I had a family, career and responsibilities.

When one uses illegal drugs, one tends to meet others of similar interests as well as some pretty sad and pathetic characters. Those who are escaping from life. Same reason people drink....if you are drinking to escape you are more likely to have a drinking problem then if you are just drinking socially/recreationally.

I never used heroin for the simple reason I was scared of it. I was afraid I would like it too much and would become addicted.

posted on Jan, 27 2015 @ 07:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: bbracken677

Anyone who has participated in recreational drug use knows that there are exactly 2 reasons one does drugs:

1) to escape

2) to enjoy

I used drugs when I was in college and a couple years there after. The most carefree time in my life. Virtually no responsibilities. I was in the Honors program and was mildly challenged by my course load. Usually I took 18-21 hours per semester.

My use was strictly recreational. That lasted until I had a family, career and responsibilities.

When one uses illegal drugs, one tends to meet others of similar interests as well as some pretty sad and pathetic characters. Those who are escaping from life. Same reason people drink....if you are drinking to escape you are more likely to have a drinking problem then if you are just drinking socially/recreationally.

I never used heroin for the simple reason I was scared of it. I was afraid I would like it too much and would become addicted.

I agree with this.

posted on Jan, 27 2015 @ 10:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: bbracken677

1) to escape

2) to enjoy

In the beginning that is a mostly true statement. There are other reasons people might use but for the most part I think you are right that they could fall under those 2 categories. However once you are deep into addiction there is a whole other reason to use, and it becomes usually the sole reason and motivation to use: To feel normal.

As has been stated many times here already, there is a very big difference between using or abusing drugs/alcohol and being physically addicted to drugs/alcohol. If you have never personally been physically addicted to them it is almost impossible to comprehend the affects of it. Withdrawal from alcohol can literally kill you, no amount of feeling good or being rich or surrounded by happiness can change that. The person waking up with DT's from Alcohol, or withdrawal from Benzo's or Opiates has physical symptoms that hinder them functioning like a normal person until they use their DOC. I don't expect anyone that is not intimately familiar with these circumstances to understand any of this, why should they? But I am telling you as someone that has been addicted to drugs and alcohol for the last 20 years what it is like, it would be beneficial for someone that hasn't to keep an open mind that people like me might know a little bit about this. Quite possibly more so than a guy who did some experiments on mice and claims it is all good I just have to be happy and I won't be addicted anymore. You can see how that is kind of insulting. I just walked out of in patient treatment 6 days ago, I am sharing things from my own experience and that I have learned from trained professionals that are also recovered addicts which I have talked about nothing but for the last 24 days.

I am not claiming to know all the answers, or that what I say must be right. However I am sharing from my very personal experience and when I read something that directly contradicts that experience I have to take issue with it. Bbracken667 I am not necessarily pointing this all at you, I am speaking in general. You are a lot more informed then some people in this conversation that are too worried about symantics and statistics to actually have a meaningful discussion. I appreciate you taking the time to post relevant to the topic instead of just being an ignorant dick.

posted on Jan, 28 2015 @ 12:56 AM
link   

And this explains why drugs are prominent in rough neighborhoods .

posted on Jan, 28 2015 @ 12:59 AM
link   
a reply to: bbracken677
Actually there is a third reason. To fit in. I started using pot for that reason. Almost everyone in my family at least smokes pot, some do harder stuff. My parents hid it, at least until I was well into my teens. First time I smoked I was around 12, with my ten year old cousin and his father. By the time I was a freshmen in high school, prettymuch everyone I knew in my age group smoked, even a lot of the "nerdy" types.

posted on Jan, 28 2015 @ 11:01 AM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

"Happiness" is a very subjective term. Describing rats as achieving such a state is anthropomorphic and thus a fallacy to begin with.
Contented existence is a description which fits more readily to the parameters described.
Within that sphere the tranquillisers and stimulants of corporeal existence in modern society sit along side more readily identifiable pharmacological substances.
Sugar is as much of a drug as heroin, and probably shortens more peoples lives in western society than it's illicit counterpart.
How many suffer globally for the fiscal profit of the select few, in a system that is built on greed and avarice?
Addiction to capital is more damaging than any marijuana ever smoked if measured in degree of human suffering caused through it's use, and it's pursuit.

posted on Jan, 28 2015 @ 06:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: DarthFazer

And this explains why drugs are prominent in rough neighborhoods .

Drugs are also readily available in upscale neighborhoods. The main difference is that they're not being openly sold on street corners.

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8 >>

join