It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Al Gore: Spend $90 Trillion To Ban Cars From Every Major City In The World

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 23 2015 @ 04:09 PM
link   
Al Gore, the butt of jokes world wide. At least he'll have a career as a clown or comedian. How come the water level isn't rising and engulfing the coastal cities yet, you stupid moron? Every time he opens his mouth, people should start to uncontrollably laugh in his face.

posted on Jan, 23 2015 @ 04:15 PM
link   
a reply to: crustyjuggler27

The thing is, as I posted earlier, is that this is actually just pretty much putting the money already being spent o better purpose with a eye to the future.

Maybe it would be a bit more, but you also have to factor in the benefits, some tangible and some not that tangible. Things like cleaner streets, being able to get places sooner, not having to pay through the nose to park, faster delivery of goods, and maybe even overall quality of life.

And the jobs tradeoff probably would be a wash, if not to the positive.

posted on Jan, 23 2015 @ 04:22 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

Wonder what they'd do with all that metal & plastic!

And I happen to agree that there are way too many cars out in the cities!

posted on Jan, 23 2015 @ 04:44 PM
link   
They are starting to use self driving cars now.....
Perhaps in future, the vehicles could be pooled and called when required by individual users....they could come from nearby neighbourhood garages.....
The type of vehicle and number of passengers or load capability would be requested by the user.......
There are a hundred ways of working out this problem, including building better designed cities....Jacque Fresco comes to mind here with his future city and future society (one without money).......(hes on you Tube)
I am seeing that ATS is getting filled with less adroit minds than it used to be....
The extreme selfishness of the X gen I guess....
Personally im tired of reading all your selfish opine: it brings the site down to the level of the National Tattler mags....
How about stretching your febrile minds around imagined solutions for once?
That would be too much to ask probably.....

posted on Jan, 23 2015 @ 05:51 PM
link   
a reply to: stirling

Yeah...that's where I was going.

Most posting here seem to miss the point that this wouldn't in reality cost more than imagination and ingenuity and different ways of looking at things, instead of focusing on an insane hatred of a person or a party. Sad really.

posted on Jan, 23 2015 @ 06:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: pl3bscheese
a reply to: crazyewok

Are you trying to tell me there's a sane reason for having several thousand lb personal transportation vehicles that on average have seating for 4-7 people, yet are 90%+ of the time occupied by a single inhabitant.

You think that's sane?

There's absolutely no reason for personal transportation vehicles in the 21st century. Public transportation makes sense on every level imaginable.

What a sheltered life you must truly live. I don't mean that as an insult, but to think that everyone can get where they need to go with public transportation is a complete pipe dream that only someone living in a downtown condo working downtown with downtown friends would believe.

Ever had a job where the buses don't run? Ever had a job where you get fired for being late the first time (and they don't care about excuses) Ever had a job where transporting packages/materials was part of the job description? Ever had a job at all? Ever go camping? Ever move?

Ever needed to transport someone who has a medical condition, in an area where emergency services cost tens of thousands of dollars and take 45+ minutes to arrive, one-way?

Have you ever thought of ANYTHING outside of your own little sheltered ignorant bubble you live in?

Of course, everyone should live just like you do, because you are god and everyone else needs to be led.

Private transportation is the basis of personal freedom. Without it you are restricted by where the state allows you to travel. Oh, a little late on your taxes, we'll just void your transportation clearance until you pay up.

Now, if someone wants to talk about increasing the efficiency of personal transportation I'd be all for that. Change the transportation infrastructure to encourage the use of small, light, single or two-person vehicles? I'd be all for that. A simple motorcycle engine on a lightweight small carbon fiber tube chassis with a covering would use a fraction of the fuel resources and still allow freedom and mobility. We DONT need to be riding around in two-ton automobiles to transport a person to work and back, but simply getting rid of personal transportation all together is offensive to a free society.
edit on 23-1-2015 by James1982 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 23 2015 @ 06:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: James1982

What a sheltered life you must truly live. I don't mean that as an insult, but to think that everyone can get where they need to go with public transportation is a complete pipe dream that only someone living in a downtown condo working downtown with downtown friends would believe.

Ever had a job where the buses don't run? Ever had a job where you get fired for being late the first time (and they don't care about excuses) Ever had a job where transporting packages/materials was part of the job description? Ever had a job at all? Ever go camping? Ever move?

Did you bother to read the thread title? Did you bother to follow the link? It's not my fault that you can't be bothered to grasp the proposal.

You've got some serious emotional problems, guy. To think you felt the need to throw all of those assumptions my way... I do hope you find some peace for your issues. So sad.

edit on 23-1-2015 by pl3bscheese because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 23 2015 @ 06:07 PM
link   
Here is the answer!.......lets go electric and all is good. If this video works I hope you get the idea.

www.killsometime.com...
skip to the two minute mark or so if your impatient.
Regards, Iwinder

posted on Jan, 23 2015 @ 06:08 PM
link   
Huh.... 90,000,000,000,000 dollars....thats probably pretty damned near to the electricity and gas bill Gore pays per month for his ridiculously extravagant lit up like the blazing sun, small city of a house in Tennessee.

posted on Jan, 23 2015 @ 06:09 PM
link   
a reply to: crustyjuggler27

That`s absolutely correct, so the next step will be a forced relocation of all rural dwellers into cities, there`s that agenda 21 raising it `s ugly head again.

posted on Jan, 23 2015 @ 06:15 PM
link   
a reply to: Tardacus

Exactly, for safety, convenience, to preserve nature, to shorten the distances thus less fuel's used, etc, etc. Of course people will fall for it as usual.

posted on Jan, 23 2015 @ 07:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: Iwinder
Here is the answer!.......lets go electric and all is good. If this video works I hope you get the idea.

www.killsometime.com...
skip to the two minute mark or so if your impatient.
Regards, Iwinder

Not sure if I should think of this as pro electric or anti electric? Clearly a bike with a little to much power to handle outside racing event.

posted on Jan, 23 2015 @ 07:24 PM
link   
a reply to: James1982

Now, if someone wants to talk about increasing the efficiency of personal transportation I'd be all for that. Change the transportation infrastructure to encourage the use of small, light, single or two-person vehicles? I'd be all for that. A simple motorcycle engine on a lightweight small carbon fiber tube chassis with a covering would use a fraction of the fuel resources and still allow freedom and mobility. We DONT need to be riding around in two-ton automobiles to transport a person to work and back, but simply getting rid of personal transportation all together is offensive to a free society.

Bingo my friend, in Ontario they make it almost impossible to own and operate a scooter or moped..... Ever ride a moped? they are easier than riding a bicycle and almost cost nothing to operate. No says our Government you must take a safety course first and then pay at least 300 bucks a year insurance. And then you pay yearly for plate tags just to help the environment. LOL
The Europeans have it correct from the get go, get a Vespa and fill up every 3 weeks or so at less cost than taking the bus.

It's all a sham and I am off and clear before I blow a blood vessel posting this.
Regards, Iwinder

posted on Jan, 23 2015 @ 07:24 PM
link   
This guy flies a private jet to the city where he is speaking then takes a limo to about a mile from his destination where he switches to an electric car so he can be photographed pulling up in a green car for the press.

posted on Jan, 23 2015 @ 08:16 PM
link   
a reply to: James1982

Totally agree with everything you said!

Also, I would be all for investing in public transportation, or improving cyclist infrastructure, but to force people to give up their personal vehicle? To not even give them a choice? That's a ridiculous violation of personal freedom.
Is anyone really agreeing with BANNING the right to a personal vehicle? What if there's an emergency and you need to get out of the city?

posted on Jan, 23 2015 @ 08:21 PM
link   
Great idea, as soon as he contributes his vast fortune to the idea I will take it seriously.

posted on Jan, 23 2015 @ 08:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: pl3bscheese

originally posted by: James1982

Did you bother to read the thread title? Did you bother to follow the link? It's not my fault that you can't be bothered to grasp the proposal.

You've got some serious emotional problems, guy. To think you felt the need to throw all of those assumptions my way... I do hope you find some peace for your issues. So sad.

Yes I read the thread title, yes I read the link. It's pretty sparse for any information on how they plan to deal with the issues I've raised other than simply "make cities more compact" They must be going on the Kowloon city model.

But my reply was directed at your statement that there is no need for personal transportation in the modern day. I laid out several instances and reasons why that isn't so. You didn't say there was no need for personal transportation in an ideal manufactured city, you made a broad statement that there is no need for personal transportation period.

Cramming everyone into tiny little cities and banning vehicles doesn't fix the issues I mentioned. How are you going to move? Carry everything box by box, taking a hundred trips on a bus? Are they going to allow people to carry mattresses and refrigerators on public transport? Then if you need immediate medial treatment you'll be forced to pay high fees for EMS services instead of just having a family member/friend drive you?

There are no real world specific details of how they plan for this to work, so I raised the question, to you because you seem to support the idea. So do you have any solutions to offer to issues related to removing a person's ability to have personal transportation? Jessica rabbit brings up another excellent point, what if there is an incoming flood/hurricane/tornado/etc and you must flee the city? Tough luck and let your feet carry you? Or rely on government buses to actually take you where you need to go?

And yes, I do have an emotional issue, it's a strong emotional attachment to personal liberty and freedom, something you seem to have little concern for.
edit on 23-1-2015 by James1982 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 23 2015 @ 08:28 PM
link   
Instead of trying to get more people to use public transport, which sucks, and isn't likely to get any better no matter how much effort they put into it, and either make cities more bicycle friendly or better yet get more people to ride motorcycles/ mopeds or scooters, as they use little fuel but can still get you to where you are going in a decent time speed wise and take up a lot less space. Of course if you are traveling with other people or transporting a lot of items there is no replacement for a car or truck.

Also while it may sound good to switch to electric cars or other alternative fueled cars, almost all cars on the road now are gasoline and it would be far to costly and wasteful to just dump them or convert them to electric, when gasoline works well and we still have lots of it available.

posted on Jan, 23 2015 @ 08:31 PM
link   
People in larger cities with good public transportation don't typically need or even want cars. In NYC, the price per month to park a car is often more than the price of an apartment, and you get to fight your neighbors over the few prime spots there are near your home and do the alternate side shuffle in the wee hours.

Even many people in suburbs would be grateful for better public transportation to alleviate ridiculous commutes. I burn a quarter tank a day to drive 48 miles round trip, most of that just sitting in traffic and missing lights because some moron is reading email and doesn't go.

Here's something that might indicate a trend too. Vital Signs: More Households Don’t Own a Car

Cars are ridiculously expensive, especially electric cars, which don't seem to be coming down in price too fast. They're not going to take your cars (or probably trucks) in rural areas.

And by the way, should something happen, as on 9/11, no one drove or took public transportation out of the city. They walked out.
edit on 1/23/2015 by ~Lucidity because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 23 2015 @ 08:50 PM
link   
MASS Transit systems are not the exclusive solution for inner city & metro areas...

I have been just fine with my LSV (low speed electric vehicle) it goes everywhere I need between 50 avenues north to 10 avenues south of the city center, grocery, malls, eats, home supplies, tax offices/MotorVehicle, banks, cable TV, etc.

I charge up usually twice a week (cost is unknown but likely $2 a fill up of 5 hours of 120volts X 48v system)
I only go 35mph, but my clean air transportation doubles up as my landscape-caretaker utility vehicle, it weighs under 1,400 pounds so is easy on the highways/streets it rides on...
the other 3 cars & trucks based on this property use 7 times the space as mine

if all communities required low speed electric cars in city traffic lanes...the metro area would be a much safer place in many aspects... keep the 3 & 4 ton clunkers off on the interstates...
leave the inner city streets and boulevards to crotchrockets, LSVs, Mopeds, motorized ripstiks and that ilk

---> of course the public trolly or narrow-guage rail service should be required to serve those not wanting mini sized metro vehicles of their own
edit on rd31142206806923542015 by St Udio because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join