It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Al Gore: Spend $90 Trillion To Ban Cars From Every Major City In The World

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 23 2015 @ 12:49 PM
link   
Looks like Al Gore is really going off the deep end to fight this global warming scare.

He modestly suggests that the cities need to be compartmentalized and all cars be stopped.

The cost will be $90 trillion......that's 90,000,000,000,000 dollars.

Former Vice President Al Gore and former Mexican President Felipe Calderon are pushing for $90 trillion in spending to ban cars from every major city in the world and make them more dense.

Gore and Calderon presented a report from the Global Commission on the Economy & Climate (GCEC) and argued that fighting global warming will require making cities more compact and wholly reliant on public transit. This is the only way to make sure urban areas don’t contribute to global warming, the two politicians argued.

Calderon and Gore argued that $90 trillion is going to be spent anyways in the coming decades upgrading cities around the world. They argue that it should be spent on making cities more climate friendly.

Al Gore: Spend $90 Trillion To Ban Cars From Every Major City In The World

posted on Jan, 23 2015 @ 12:53 PM
link   
That should be easy. I still have about $30 from my trip to NYC last week. So now only need 89,999,999,000,970. Yep, totally going to happen. We can ask the car industries to help us, I'm sure they'd love to.

posted on Jan, 23 2015 @ 12:54 PM
link   
LOL....yeah, lets just tear every major city to the ground and rebuild them in a better way...more dense with people right on top of one another so when sickness hits it REALLY hits.

And lets ban cars....LOL! I almost fell out of my seat on that one.....ban cars.....

posted on Jan, 23 2015 @ 12:54 PM
link   
Not sure if it's going to work that way, but I agree that cars don't really fit in cities. With a bicycle you are much faster in a city anyway, and cars are waaay to big and way to inefficient for the transportation of 1 man. It would be better if they invest it in bicycle infrastructure in cities and promote cycling like they do in the Netherlands, Norway and Denmark. Cycling infrastructure in American cities really suck.

There are so many alternatives, yet people don't look and simple get their car license and buy a car because that is ''normal''. Well, I am not going to do it.
edit on 23-1-2015 by Velom because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 23 2015 @ 12:57 PM
link   
I've been saying this for years. Nobody needs to drive downtown if there's speedy, and all-encompassing public transit.

My goal was not to save the planet, but just to remove the largest risk factor from driving: there are too many people doing it.

But imagine the city revenue lost from speeding tickets, parking violations and insurance revenue lost from at-fault collisions... and imagine the jobs lost when roads need less maintenance, and less lighting is needed on city streets. (Of course, in many Canadian cities, the freeze/thaw cycle would probably force us to repair the roads just as often.)

posted on Jan, 23 2015 @ 12:59 PM
link   
Ban politicians and lawyers.
Then people could live sane, free lives.
Banning cars? Where's the limo exemption?
I know we're not gonna see Gore riding the subway with us commoners.

posted on Jan, 23 2015 @ 01:00 PM
link   
The man is just nucking futs!!

posted on Jan, 23 2015 @ 01:03 PM
link   
Perspective, people.

He's mentioning a global problem. Shouldn't we... oh I don't know... take the global world product into consideration? That number was around 87T in 2013. It's probably around 90T today. So it would take a year's worth of work for humanity to do away with the insanely dated transportation system, and revamp it to 21st century standards.

Why wouldn't we do something like this?

posted on Jan, 23 2015 @ 01:06 PM
link   
Only $90 trillion?

Wow what a low reasonble amount.
/Sarcasm

WTF!!!!!

Is there even 90 trillion in circulation?

Better than removing cars would be to moving them onto electric or hydrogen and away from fossil fuels.
And before some hippy dip# goes but that electric will come from fossil fuels the I counter with the argument built loads of thorium nuclear plants

posted on Jan, 23 2015 @ 01:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: pl3bscheese

Why wouldn't we do something like this?

Because there are easier more sane methods.

Ie trying to phase out fossil fuels for Nuclear and renewable sources.

posted on Jan, 23 2015 @ 01:09 PM
link   
Good idea. long overdue. Reduce pollution, create jobs, stimulate industries all over the globe.

posted on Jan, 23 2015 @ 01:10 PM
link   
a reply to: crazyewok

Are you trying to tell me there's a sane reason for having several thousand lb personal transportation vehicles that on average have seating for 4-7 people, yet are 90%+ of the time occupied by a single inhabitant.

You think that's sane?

There's absolutely no reason for personal transportation vehicles in the 21st century. Public transportation makes sense on every level imaginable.
edit on 23-1-2015 by pl3bscheese because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 23 2015 @ 01:11 PM
link   
IMO it's not the cars really, it's the grid road system that keeps them there idling way longer than needed. Just figure out a way to keep traffic moving and it'll cut down on pollution. I have no idea how to achieve this but there has to be a way.

posted on Jan, 23 2015 @ 01:12 PM
link   

Now THAT I agree with. The problem is that he's trying to change EVERY major city in the WORLD. And that, obviously, costs A LOT OF MONEY. And that could only be done if the big guys decided to go for it... which, let's face it, they won't, cause the system works pretty well for them.

Had he started small projects in small towns, seeing how it could work, learning from mistakes and improving his idea? Then the rest of the world would see it as a possible alternative, something that can be done and, most importantly, SHOULD be done.

posted on Jan, 23 2015 @ 01:13 PM
link   

Are you trying to tell me there's a sane reason for having several thousand lb personal transportation vehicles that on average have seaing for 4-7 people, yet are 90%+ of the time occupied by a single inhabitant.

You think that's sane?

There's absolutely no reason for personal transportation vehicles in the 21st century. Public transportation makes sense on every level imaginable.

well the FREE market says otherwise.

If I want to DRIVE I bloody well will drive in a FREE country.

If you dont your welcome to stop driving but dont tell ME what to do hippy.

Instead go to work in making my cars electric or hydrogen power so I dont have to use fossil fuesl

posted on Jan, 23 2015 @ 01:13 PM
link   
This sounds sooooo very familiar. Where have I heard this "Concentrate Cities, abolish cars, develop public transportation. Make safe wildlife areas." It sounds very similar to some agenda. Also, it reminds me of the hunger games.

posted on Jan, 23 2015 @ 01:14 PM
link   
All cars banned from cities, except his cars, the cars of politicians, and other "important" people. Like the billionaire Greene telling people to live with less and expect less comfort.

posted on Jan, 23 2015 @ 01:15 PM
link   
It shouldn't cost that much to go green.

If they ban gasoline people can hook up horses to their cars and get around that way.

posted on Jan, 23 2015 @ 01:15 PM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

And it'll create jobs. Need plenty of people to shovel the ____. And I don't mean politicians.

posted on Jan, 23 2015 @ 01:16 PM
link   

So you've got nothing, and resort to name calling and appeals to emotion.

You could have just said, "I've got nothing". It would have at least been more honest.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join