It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Water Is Running Out

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 24 2015 @ 04:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: crayzeed
a reply to: Eunuchorn
I seriously think you aught to go back to school.

ALL and I mean ALL so called drinking water comes from the oceans. FACT. Rain, snow sleet and hail started it's journey in the seas and oceans and through convection into the sky to fall naturally on the mountains and deserts everywhere. Or did you think the water gnomes put the snow on the mountains and water in the aquifers?

As I've often said before, especially the USA, if you spent a few billion less on military hardware and spent a few million on desalination plants we would not be having this discussion.

And that 'factoid' has nothing to do with the ratio of salt to fresh water - which doesn't change that much either.

And again, desalination is not a feasible solution for providing the amounts of FRESH water that plants, animals, people and all their 'industry' needs if our current wasteful usage continues. Desalination plants don't create good quality water and the pollution they cause is considerable.

Here's a brief article on some of the hazards:

www.foodandwaterwatch.org...

Here's an article on where it's being done in a big way - or planing is underway. In California. With positive and negative points:

www.npr.org...

And here's the corporation line:

www.watercorporation.com.au...

Do the research - take the time. Fresh water is the one thing we really need with sunlight to live. Lose either and we're gone.

edit on 24-1-2015 by FyreByrd because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2015 @ 04:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: amazing
You're only half right though. We have the technology and the money to create massive amounts of desalinization plants. We have the drinking water. The question is, do we want it or will they let us have it.

Kind of. Desalinization is more of an emergency measure than a real solution. It requires massive amounts of energy, so much so that we cannot meet the needed demand by building traditional power plants. The only power plants that can provide enough are nuclear which have their own issues if Chernobyl and Fukushima have taught us anything.

In addition to this desalinization has another side effect. It creates large amounts of excess salt. It cannot be easily pumped back into the ocean because it creates large dead zones that effectively kill the coastline. Instead it has to be pumped back into the ocean over a large area. The US has a lot of coast line so such a solution is somewhat viable for us, but for many countries around the world that have a smaller percentage of coastline it just won't work in order to meet their water needs.

posted on Jan, 25 2015 @ 04:45 AM
link   
a reply to: scubagravy

Erm.....oil will never run out.....mother earth will still produce it.....it's simply that we are using it up quicker than she can produce it...............oil will be back.....in a few million years........

And the same goes for water.........eventually the polluted, tainted water will eventually be clean again.........

Jane

posted on Jan, 25 2015 @ 11:55 AM
link   
Lakes, rivers are drying up aquifers are being drained and polluted by hydraulic fracturing.

We are nearing the beginning phase of human extinction.

posted on Jan, 25 2015 @ 11:58 AM
link   
The people who buy bottled water are the people who live no where near nature, they are the one who are in trouble.

posted on Jan, 25 2015 @ 12:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: Grimpachi

originally posted by: scubagravy
water will never run out. after all, where does it go ?

Back up and back down....its a cycle, water will never run out.... the quality may diminish,

On the other hand, oil will certainly run out, the lubrication of ones tectonic plates will become dry

leading to more violent earth quakes. I believe the oil is there for a reason.

We are abusing it.

Do you actually believe that buried oil lubricates the tectonic plates?

I was under the impression it does, can you scientifically show is that it doesn't?

posted on Jan, 25 2015 @ 12:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: Metallicus

Yay capitalism!

It isn't Capitalism. It's Cronyism. Know the difference.

I was being facetious/ironic, profit driven Corporatism took over a long time ago.
What's your definition of cronyism?

posted on Jan, 25 2015 @ 12:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: crayzeed
I seriously think you aught to go back to school.

ALL and I mean ALL so called drinking water comes from the oceans. FACT. Rain, snow sleet and hail started it's journey in the seas and oceans and through convection into the sky to fall naturally on the mountains and deserts everywhere. Or did you think the water gnomes put the snow on the mountains and water in the aquifers?

As I've often said before, especially the USA, if you spent a few billion less on military hardware and spent a few million on desalination plants we would not be having this discussion.

Ah go back to school, the dogmatic mantra of the truly conditioned.

People are taking the thread title SO literally, it's almost pathetic.
Sure, it' might be a sensationalist title, meant to drive critical thought & discussion; reiterating the basics of water cycles only makes you look like an ignoramus.

How will the US building desalination plants help Brazil's water supply? Don't answer that. Because only taking these 2 points vs the entire spectrum of out of control & mismanaged spending is a ludicrous stance to take. Ya, the US could spend less on military & actually reinforce/upgrade our electric grid too & other conversations might never happen.

Big picture bro, picking a single talking point just shows lack of understanding in how our system is broken at its core.

posted on Jan, 25 2015 @ 01:12 PM
link   
No matter where in the world you want to use as an example the problems the same.
Start a post with those words then change the reason behind the post. The post sensationally states the water is running out, your posts make the sensational claims I merely pointed out that water is certainly not and in the next thousand years will ever run out.
The reason that the powers are playing this game and it is a monetary game to them, is to keep drinking water in short supply to force you to pay more for it.
The main problem is man himself. Take the USA, where do the majority of people choose to live? In the fertile areas and in doing so conglomerates into large cities. The bigger the city the more concentrated the demand for water in that small area. THAT'S the main problem. Too many people for the areas water catchment area so water HAS to be moved to them. That's where the money men come in.
Please don't ever use Brazil as an example again as it falls into the above scenario (too many people in small areas) as it has one of the largest natural catchment areas in the world for water ie. the Amazon basin.
This is the same all over the world and can only be addressed by government interventions as people do not want to give up their congregated lifestyle.
But make no mistake it can be controlled but not at the cost of the money men . It must be an implemented infrastructure and is not as hard as you make out.
Just because governments are turning a blind eye to the problem to let the money men make on it is does not make it an insurmountable problem the posters on here are making it.

posted on Jan, 25 2015 @ 01:16 PM
link   
a reply to: crayzeed

If you don't see why that in & of itself is an insurmountable problem, then you're probably in a position to not worry about it when society as we know it collapses.

posted on Jan, 25 2015 @ 01:40 PM
link   
Ah. Now your living in the fear factor just where they want you so you'll be more amenable to pay more for the privileged.
I live in Britain where usually you can walk out your front door and not go 4 or 5 miles without falling into a stream or river. That being said you can't drink any of this water as they are contaminated. Either run off from farmers putting chemicals on the land or sewage treatment plants releasing contaminated water into the watercourse.
We have a fairly decent water infrastructure but since they privatised the water industry the aged system wants more and more maintenance which the said water companies do not want to spend on it. So they stumble from one problem to the next.
What do you spend per capita on water? The average around here is about £300 to £600 a year.

posted on Jan, 25 2015 @ 01:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: Eunuchorn

originally posted by: Grimpachi

originally posted by: scubagravy
water will never run out. after all, where does it go ?

Back up and back down....its a cycle, water will never run out.... the quality may diminish,

On the other hand, oil will certainly run out, the lubrication of ones tectonic plates will become dry

leading to more violent earth quakes. I believe the oil is there for a reason.

We are abusing it.

Do you actually believe that buried oil lubricates the tectonic plates?

I was under the impression it does, can you scientifically show is that it doesn't?

Colbomoose already did in the thread a few posts after mine I guess you missed it.

Posted by : Colbomoose

Earthquakes occur quite deep The 2011 Japanese earthquake was considered shallow and occurred at a depth of 32km.
The deepest oil well is just shy of 11km. So apart from some interesting chemistry resulting from the pressure and temperature at this depth, We're still 20km shy of the earthquake zone. Lots of oil deposits occurred with the Permian dieoff, 395 million years ago. For them to be forced so far downward, the heat and pressure would expel any liquids contained within.
We're safe. Using all the oil we like won't affect us one bit. My Prime Minister said so. www.abovetopsecret.com...

As you can see from the pic oil is found far above in the earth's crust. Tectonic plates ride across Asthenosphere so no way does oil lubricate the tectonic plates.

So there you go it has been shown scientifically even give some easy to understand pics.

posted on Jan, 25 2015 @ 02:09 PM
link   

It never ceases to amaze me just how ignorant so many people are of the natural processes of our planet.

Educate yourselves.

The water here, now, on this little world of ours, is exactly the same water that has always been here...reused and recycled endlessly by the natural process of.....the water cycle.

This is literally Primary school stuff folks, i know for some of us Primary school was a lifetime ago, but ignorance of it is ridiculous.

posted on Jan, 25 2015 @ 02:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: Cyruay
The people who buy bottled water are the people who live no where near nature, they are the one who are in trouble.

I buy bottled water. I live 3 blocks from the Ohio River. However the river is so polluted in this area that you are not allowed to even touch the water much less drink it. The tap water is fine and I sometimes use that (such as for the tea I'm drinking right now) but bottled tastes better.

I don't see how bottled water is causing problems though. Yes we're pumping it from lakes, rivers, and aquafiers but if we weren't, we would be pumping it through the tap anyways, and regardless of where it comes from once we drink it, it goes back to nature when we're done. The problem isn't bottled water, it's industrial level consumption. Just look at how much water we each use in order to have the things in our lives that we do. A consumerist society that practices planned obsolescence has a greater and greater need for new things to consume. That means greater and greater water usage in order to provide those things.
edit on 25-1-2015 by Aazadan because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2015 @ 02:19 PM
link   
a reply to: Grimpachi

I only use ATS on the phone & had missed it, thank you

posted on Jan, 25 2015 @ 02:20 PM
link   
a reply to: MysterX

Yes, the water cycle will outlive humans, no one is arguing that.

posted on Jan, 25 2015 @ 03:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: Eunuchorn

I only use ATS on the phone & had missed it, thank you

No problem. If you don't mind though can you tell me where or how you came under the impression that oil lubricated the tectonic plates? I am curious because it doesn't seem to be a one-off thing, you were not alone in that thought.

edit on 25-1-2015 by Grimpachi because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 28 2015 @ 03:20 PM
link   

Well I grew up in Texas & had Alamo history for 12 years.
(That wasn't a joke) im sure I had a science class in there somewhere

GG American education industrial complex

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join