It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How did Jesus Christ Look like? shaved face/ clean cut or bearded and Long haired ?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 09:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: Mehmet666Heineken
Is there a single church or organization in the western world that depicts Jesus as a Middle Eastern man with dark hair, dark eyes and sun scorched skin? If you look at Sephardic Jews, they too have these traits.

Innocent quirk or xenophobia?

I don't know about where you are, but here in the USA, black people have Black Jesus, Native Americans have Native American Jesus and Hispanics have Hispanic Jesus (they also have Obama as Messiah), so yes, there are churches here that have Jesus according to their own cultural identity.

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 09:50 AM
link   

Is there a single church or organization in the western world that depicts Jesus as a Middle Eastern man with dark hair, dark eyes and sun scorched skin? If you look at Sephardic Jews, they too have these traits.

yeah protestant churches frequently depict jesus with long dark hair and dark skin with a beard. my mom told me when i was a kid, we went shopping and there was a black fellow washing the windows of the store we went to. i stopped and yelled, "MOM! LOOK IT'S JESUS!" cause he looked like the dark skinned jesus from the painting on the wall of our house. the black guy wasn't impressed that i had called him jesus. lol

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 09:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: WarminIndy

I don't know about where you are, but here in the USA, black people have Black Jesus, Native Americans have Native American Jesus and Hispanics have Hispanic Jesus (they also have Obama as Messiah), so yes, there are churches here that have Jesus according to their own cultural identity.

I didn't know there was a native one and I wasn't sure how mainstream black Jesus was ...So everyone has a Jesus accrording to their own identity, instead of his actual identity? Again it begs the question, why is that?

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 09:53 AM
link   

I didn't know there was a native one and I wasn't sure how mainstream black Jesus was ...So everyone has a Jesus accrording to their own identity, instead of his actual identity? Again it begs the question, why is that?

It's definitely not because gods are made up by people, because you know, that'd make sense...

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 10:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: undo

yeah protestant churches frequently depict jesus with long dark hair and dark skin with a beard. my mom told me when i was a kid, we went shopping and there was a black fellow washing the windows of the store we went to. i stopped and yelled, "MOM! LOOK IT'S JESUS!" cause he looked like the dark skinned jesus from the painting on the wall of our house. the black guy wasn't impressed that i had called him jesus. lol

Thank you for the insight. Cute story

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 10:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: Prezbo369

It's definitely not because gods are made up by people, because you know, that'd make sense...

I see where you're coming from, but I didn't want to imply that right off the bat at least. You would think that if you're worshipping someone or if a group of people appointed someone as God, they would describe what he looked like so that people wouldn't have to make black Jesus/native Jesus/Chinese Jesus

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 10:13 AM
link   

I see where you're coming from, but I didn't want to imply that right off the bat at least. You would think that if you're worshipping someone or if a group of people appointed someone as God, they would describe what he looked like so that people wouldn't have to make black Jesus/native Jesus/Chinese Jesus

Can I make a photoshop of you from my impressions of you?

Jesus is for all people, in all places, for all times. And here you have a problem with an artist depiction when we all know it is artist depiction. Geesh, really? You don't understand the concept of artist depiction?

Reminds me, now I am going to hook up the Wacom Bamboo pen tablet and draw some random picture and call it "a day on ATS".

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 10:30 AM
link   

Jesus is for all people, in all places, for all times. And here you have a problem with an artist depiction when we all know it is artist depiction. Geesh, really? You don't understand the concept of artist depiction?

Reminds me, now I am going to hook up the Wacom Bamboo pen tablet and draw some random picture and call it "a day on ATS".

Not a single sculpture or bust of Jesus? And yet there are hundreds of Roman emperors and socialites, even going back to ancient Greece. This isn't a pre-historic time we are dealing with, so why would anyone need to draw Jesus from an impression?

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 10:37 AM
link   

Not a single sculpture or bust of Jesus? And yet there are hundreds of Roman emperors and socialites, even going back to ancient Greece. This isn't a pre-historic time we are dealing with, so why would anyone need to draw Jesus from an impression?

Really? Really?

Oh really. Tell me this person isn't historically dishonest.

WHAT culture did Jesus come from? JEWISH. And it was forbidden according to Jewish law to make sculptures of God or any living creature.

2nd Commandment, thou shalt not make unto thyselves any graven image of anything in heaven above nor the earth below or that which is in the waters, and neither shalt thou bow thyselves down to worship them.

Please, please tell me you knew that commandment.

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 10:47 AM
link   

Really? Really?

WHAT culture did Jesus come from? JEWISH. And it was forbidden according to Jewish law to make sculptures of God or any living creature.

2nd Commandment, thou shalt not make unto thyselves any graven image of anything in heaven above nor the earth below or that which is in the waters, and neither shalt thou bow thyselves down to worship them.

Not all sects of Christianity follow that commandment. Look at the Catholic worship of icons and statues for example, and they are a very prominent and major sect. So now Christians are actually Jews and supposed to follow their laws? Bet you should stop eating pork then and praying like Jews pray 3 times a day bowing on the ground like a Muslim. It's all very confusing, not only in the overall Christian narrative but the fact that no one kept a physical record of him even from memory it could have been corroborated by thousands of people.

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 11:19 AM
link   
a reply to: Mehmet666Heineken

it was. he was from the tribe of judah.

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 11:24 AM
link   
he would've looked semitic with greek and egyptian features as well, with dark skin and a beard later in life

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 01:59 PM
link   

Really? Really?

Not all sects of Christianity follow that commandment. Look at the Catholic worship of icons and statues for example, and they are a very prominent and major sect. So now Christians are actually Jews and supposed to follow their laws? Bet you should stop eating pork then and praying like Jews pray 3 times a day bowing on the ground like a Muslim. It's all very confusing, not only in the overall Christian narrative but the fact that no one kept a physical record of him even from memory it could have been corroborated by thousands of people.

Might I remind you of the iconoclast war.

Please, just because some Christians don't mind icons and paintings and some Christians don't have them you must please, please, please remember that Jesus was NOT born post-Middle Ages, He was born 2,000 years ago to the JEWISH community and the first Christians were JEWS.

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 09:01 PM
link   
a reply to: WarminIndy

i have a thread about this same type of thing:

The Sitchin - Catholic Problem
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 10:04 PM
link   
You people need to stop it, Jesus looks like you want him to look. And all this actual looking up the social trends of the time and era coped with how the actual people of that time and area looked like and dressed. Well it is ruining my pirate Jesus image I have of him. I mean really? Cant we all just agree that Jesus has some scars and and a eye patch, and move on.

I mean this jesus fellow seems to take on the characteristics of whatever peoples he is worshiped by. So if we got black Jesus, and Hispanic Jesus, and Jewishy Jesus and Hippy Jesus and Flowery Jesus, and what not. I see no reason for there not being Curly hair eyepatch wearing Jesus with cool scar running down one side of the cheek as well. It makes him look bad ass, while being sophisticated and cuddly at the same time.

Who know in another thousand or so years Jesus may even turn out to be a female, or we could even have Cat Jesus craze, or who know what else as well....Funny how some things change with the times, to suit the times and whims of peoples. But in all likelihood Jesus looked like your typical male for that time and era and peoples living in that area.

posted on Jan, 27 2015 @ 03:34 AM
link   
Jesus looks like the image of God and God is love so those who do his will by Loving will be in Heaven.

posted on Jan, 27 2015 @ 06:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: arpgme
Jesus looks like the image of God and God is love so those who do his will by Loving will be in Heaven.

What does love look like?

Jesus said "God is spirit". But Jesus came in human form.

John the Revelator says that His hair was like wool and his feet like brass. That doesn't mean black or white wool, just that it was like wool. His feet are brass, but brass had meaning back in those days.

The serpent Moses made on the pole, that was brass and Jesus said "Even as Moses lifted the serpent in the wilderness, even so must the Son of Man be lifted up and if I be lifted up I draw all men unto me".

The statue in Nebuchadnezzar's dream, the head was brass. The altar in the tabernacle and Holy of Holies was made of brass. All the furnishings and items in the tabernacle and temple were also made of brass.

Brass had meaning in those days.

posted on Jan, 28 2015 @ 04:14 AM
link   
According to John, Light. According taugh Ezekiel an amber fire. According to Paul, a consuming fire.

God is Love and Love appears as Light/Fire (Holy Spirit).

The qualities of love in order to not be deceived:

"Love is Patient. Love is Kind. It never gives up but always hope."

posted on Jan, 28 2015 @ 04:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: arpgme
According to John, Light. According taugh Ezekiel an amber fire. According to Paul, a consuming fire.

God is Love and Love appears as Light/Fire (Holy Spirit).

The qualities of love in order to not be deceived:

"Love is Patient. Love is Kind. It never gives up but always hope."

And love will burn you to death?

Moses also said God is a consuming fire, Moses said God is a man of war, Malachi says the Sun of Righteousness will arise with healing in His wings.

Isaiah saw the Lord on His throne, high and lifted up and the train of His robe filled the whole temple. I am afraid picking out only one description and then basing theology around that is limiting God to your narrow perspective.

We could go through the entire Bible and give descriptions, but here is a song that might help you understand Jesus throughout the Bible, and if you would like we could give the corresponding verses, but it may take too long.
This is about Jesus throughout the Bible.

In Genesis He's the Breath of Life....Jesus said "He that believeth in me, though he were dead, yet shall he live". Don't limit Jesus to just one perspective, you miss out on a whole lot of blessings.

posted on Jan, 28 2015 @ 12:00 PM
link   
a reply to: Mehmet666Heineken

Hi Dear Mehmet666Heineken,

I think , with all respect, your comment on Catholicism is actually extremely exaggerated. First all, since images are also present in other Christian denominations like Episcopalians, Orthodox , Armenians, Coptics and even Mormons, and none of them never have claimed that they have idols to adore.

The Images , either in paintings or sculptures, are used all along the western civilization as a memorial act to important figures, to people that the society wants to remember for their important positive contribution in one or other way.

I don't think there is anybody that can claim with reason, that the Americans attending the Lincoln Memorial, in DC, to the Franklin Institute in Philadelphia, to the Liberty Statue in NYC or the monument to the Presidents in Mount Rushmore, visit those places to pray to the statues, that is quite ridicule, or to praise them, or to believe that actually those statues are the real persons or ideals they portrait, that is not only exaggerated, but false and a tendentious misinformation .

So, it is also absurd to think that the people that attend the Catholic Churches they actually believe that the statues in side them, or the paintings, are the real Jesus or the real St Mary, or St John, or St Joseph, or any other Saint, that is not very smart observation at all. Those are not idols, but monuments, and help to create an atmosphere of meditation in side the temple.

You can pray aside of a statue that remembers somebody, but that does not mean at all that you believe the person you are trying to remember of honor is inside the monument, that is a very peculiar way to see such an action.

I don't think such a rhetoric can really contribute at all with the topic were here discussing, in fact is a clear deviation from the subject, that it is the actual aspect that the Historic Jesus Christ, Joshua Bar Joseph, in his human condition, not in his divine nature.

Thanks,

The Angel of Lightness

edit on 1/28/2015 by The angel of light because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join