It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

King Tut's Burial Mask Has Been "Irreversibly Damaged"

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 24 2015 @ 08:01 AM
link   
I'm not sure but I'm going to assume the news hit the network radar because of a lawsuit. I'm sure the museum didn't hold a press conference after it happened to tell the world they had janked up the mask.

I don't really watch TV so I don't know how much this story is being talked about but if it's that big I always assume it's a distraction from more important world event.

posted on Jan, 24 2015 @ 08:46 AM
link   
a reply to: AdmireTheDistance

Well worth the read that book

If the truth be known western civilization will fall over night was another quote by Carter that comes to mind

he never did get a award for his find

posted on Jan, 24 2015 @ 09:02 AM
link   
a reply to: curme

I am in shock and disbelief at some of the posters who say 'no big deal' and 'who cares?'

i'm shocked that people think that it's the end of the world when a artifact gets damaged.

now if it was a malicious act, you know like the two guys who went to trial over damaging the pyramid, that would be one thing.
but as the OP pointed out in one of his later posts.

According to a few different sources, the beard was broken off when they were trying to change the lighting in its' display case. Apparently the mask fell forward, somebody rushed to grab it, and the beard snapped when the mask hit this person's chest. Thank god they were quick to react, because it sounds like if that person hadn't been there, it would have fallen face first to the floor, and who knows how much more damage it could have sustained.

it was a damaged during what i would call maintenance to the display, and that one of the people caught it. lucky he did, there is no telling what could of happened to the mask if it had hit the floor. if you look at the bottom picture from the post that the quote came from, you will see that the bottom of the mask appears to be quite thin. even though it is thin it could still be heavy and that much weight could if the rest of it is as thin as the bottom it could have been bent all to hell.

the way i see the guys just had bad luck, no matter how you plan, precautions you take, you can't for see everything that may happen, light bulb may have been slippery, or the glove that they wear may have been. point is as i said Sh@@ happens.

now as far as repair they may have been able to do a better job, maybe the guy had no epoxy skills. still its there on his chin and a little dab of gold paint can cover that up and then buff out the scratchs.

granted these things are one of a kind and represent the past of man, and can not be replaced. but man lives in the here and now, we should focus on that and the future, not piss & moan and cry about a damaged artifact of the past. most of what is learned imo is useless knowledge that in most cases doesn't even help solve the problems of today or tomorrow.

just imagine where we could be and go if the people that have gone into the field of archeology or related studies would have instead applied their intelligence to fields that help us in the here and now. i imagine we could be in a much better place if all that time and effort had been applied to that.

dem days are gone, move forward.

ETA: i just looked it up the mask weigh 24lbs, that much weight, and being that thin falling lets say 4 to five feet hitting the floor would have surly bent the bottom, and as i said if the rest of it is as thin as the bottom no telling what it would have done to it.
edit on 24-1-2015 by hounddoghowlie because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2015 @ 01:54 PM
link   
I read that the beard was originally glue on by the AEs. Their defective glue only lasted 2,000 years.

Probably used duct tape.

What the Ancient Egyptians would have referred to as
Tepi

Harte
edit on 1/24/2015 by Harte because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2015 @ 01:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: Chrisfishenstein

Who effing cares? People make mistakes and I am sure curators make mistakes also from time to time. It is there to see, not anything else! So what it is glued, it still is cool to look at either way....I don't see any big deal here, maybe if it was personally owned and the owner was trying to sell it...But it is just an artifact for people to view, so what if there is epoxy on it? I guess I don't see a big deal but others might...It's not like the beard was removed and stolen, it is all there! Oh well, still cool to see if it has epoxy on it or not

Gheesh...Its kind of a big deal...Luckily you aren't in charge of irreplaceable objects...thats like saying who cares if the pyramids get bombed..people make mistakes....YOU may not care but If the Kardashians can make the news this is something that should make it...they could have gotten a metal worker in there to fix it. Not trying to be a jerk or anything but I'm still amazed at how nonchalant you are about it hopefully people like you wont be in charge of any museums.

posted on Jan, 24 2015 @ 11:53 PM
link   
a reply to: Chrisfishenstein

Who effing cares?

People with a greater sense of their human heritage than you, obviously.

posted on Jan, 25 2015 @ 12:00 AM
link   
I've seen jewelry pieces damaged far worse than this brought back to original condition and I'd guess the funerary mask has far more gold to work with than those jeweler's had. I'll bet you they can put it back together in a fashion where nobody can even tell it had been damaged.

It's truly unfortunate that it happened but without knowing the circumstances it's hard to lay blame. Considering this is the first time I've heard of such a misfortune I'd say our museum conservators do a pretty bang-up job myself.

posted on Jan, 25 2015 @ 02:03 AM
link   
As a student of history I can say only this.
All throughout mankind's existence humans have screwed up, on important things. I personally am glad that we have not yet screwed up enough to vaporize ourselves in a barrage of nuclear weapon launches.
Bummer about the mask though huh?
Here is a link to a story about other things we have lost, and some of them where knowingly destroyed.
www.nbcnews.com...

posted on Jan, 25 2015 @ 02:15 AM
link   
There are ways to remove epoxy. If they really want to fix it properly, a professional could make it happen.

Apply a heat gun to melt the epoxy, remove beard, clean up the rest of the epoxy with acetone after spot-testing an inconspicuous area on the mask, polish out the scratches, replace the beard with an invisible attachment method.

They should take a few lessons from a paint and body guy on how to not screw up their priceless artifacts.

posted on Jan, 25 2015 @ 02:41 AM
link   
Any jeweler or professional that does repair work like that could of gold welded it back into place with laser.

posted on Jan, 25 2015 @ 03:54 AM
link   

If some one tore the shroud of Turin or plaster over the finger of god pointing to man or dropped the crystal skull it would equally be newsworthy,it's just one of those things one put alot of care and effort in during repairs,moving or cleaning it is part of our common heritage.

posted on Jan, 25 2015 @ 04:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: Spider879

If some one tore the shroud of Turin or plaster over the finger of god pointing to man or dropped the crystal skull it would equally be newsworthy,it's just one of those things one put alot of care and effort in during repairs,moving or cleaning it is part of our common heritage.

Crystal skulls are modern fakes.

Drop them at will.

Harte

(post by ziplock9000 removed for a manners violation)

posted on Jan, 25 2015 @ 05:35 AM
link   

I wouldn't worry too much.

One of those burial masks is a copy...i'm betting the copy is the one that was damaged and had the botched up repair job done to it.

Take a look at the beard...look at the colours and the size of the topmost, triangular segment...between the two images of the mask, the colour is very different and the middle top segment is larger in one image and smaller in the other.

If these were images of the same artefact, these differences could not be present...so one (OR both of them) is a copy.

edit on 25-1-2015 by MysterX because: added text

posted on Jan, 25 2015 @ 07:00 AM
link   
a reply to: hounddoghowlie

...now if it was a malicious act, you know like the two guys who went to trial over damaging the pyramid, that would be one thing.

Those two guys were not vandals carrying out a malicious act as you put it...they were about discovering and exposing a massive and long standing fraud concerning the dating of the Pyramid, and who did - or more importantly did not construct the thing.

The 'damage' the are accused of involved simply taking a tiny sample of paint or dye used as paint, from the only known and accessible painting or writing within the entire pyramid..the so-called kings cartouche situated in the crawl space above the so-called Kings chamber.

They did this, because of persistent accusations that this amateurish scrawl in red paint, was a modern and recent addition to the pyramid, contemporaneous with Campbell and therefore - faked by relatively modern hands and not painted on by Ancient Egyptians as has been the official version of it's origin.

They had the small sample analysed and subjected to C14 dating, since the pigments would have been organic in origin, the tests showed the approximate age of the pigment, and therefore the age of the painted scrawl itself to be little more than a couple of centuries in age.

Sure, if every Tom, Dick and Harry decided to 'help themselves to their own private samples taken from historical monuments, there'd be little left within a short time frame...however, since the official narrative regarding the age of the paint and hence the age of the only writing thus far found within the pyramid is such a departure from the 'vandals' findings, it is in my opinion entirely justified, in the name of accuracy of history alone, notwithstanding the honourable cause of highlighting a deliberate fraud perpetrated by those who ought to have known better.

posted on Jan, 25 2015 @ 07:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: AdmireTheDistance
It's quite obvious, from reading some of the replies, which of you were never archaeology students.

"World's single most important and iconic archaeological artifact? Bah. Who cares? They can make another one..."

I don't understand that sort of mentality at all, and I don't think I ever will...

What is the vast significance of a relic like this? I mean what purpose other than people looking at it does it REALLY serve?

ETA: Hint....I know what your answer will be, so don't go there please...I mean REAL purpose here for us and the reason this beard is such a big deal...Explain please
edit on 1/25/2015 by Chrisfishenstein because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2015 @ 07:26 AM
link   
a reply to: MysterX

regardless of motive, or outcome of their theory, they didn't have permission. therefore in my view and the eyes of the world in was a malicious act, and vandalism. their country germany saw it as vandalism, and so did egypt . they were seen as hobbyist, and not real archeologists / egyptologist so they were just mere vandals plain and simple.

edit on 25-1-2015 by hounddoghowlie because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2015 @ 07:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: hounddoghowlie
a reply to: MysterX

regardless of motive, or outcome of their theory they didn't have permission. therefore in my view and the eyes of the world in was a malicious act, and their country germany saw it as vandalism and so did egypt . they were seen as hobbyist, and not real archeologists / egyptologist.
plain and simple

So let's hang them in town square and let everyone throw rocks at them! My lord, who gives a flying fornication about an effing beard on a effing gold mask from forever ago that has no bearing on life as we know it AT ALL...????

Does everyone understand this is an effing burial mask?
edit on 1/25/2015 by Chrisfishenstein because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2015 @ 07:36 AM
link   

hey back up i'm of the same view as you to a point, go back and look at my posts. i do believe we should protect some of history's artifacts, but when damaged by accident or negligence i don't see any reason to cry about it.

but when others do it because they want to proves a point or any reason i can't condone that.

posted on Jan, 25 2015 @ 07:39 AM
link   
a reply to: hounddoghowlie

Where are you getting that this mistake was done to prove a point? I must be missing something here? I thought this was an honest mistake from people who were probably scared out of their pants that this happened right in front of them! Not to mention, epoxy is not something that can't be reversed! Especially on gold...You know there is gold out there that could be melted to fix this problem? Let's spend millions on fixing this issue, I mean honestly it is like a burial mask and all....It deserves money and attention to be fixed....(rolling eyes/sarcasm)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join