It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Possible Future Drug Makes 8 Hours Seem Like 1000 Years!

page: 11
<< 8  9  10    12 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 1 2015 @ 02:15 AM
link   
I have another Original thought about this proposed drug that appears to slow down time for the subject -

LEARNING - would be awesome if you thought you had more time!

Think about it. We talk ourselves out of learning things like a new language for example because they take too long to learn. 4 years of college? How about 8 for a doctorate or master (whatever) .. we talk ourselves out of doing those things because of the time involved. Using a drug to make you think you have all the time in the wold will cancel out those objections.

Thats about the only possible good thing I can see from this if it were really ever invented.
edit on 1-3-2015 by JohnPhoenix because: sp

posted on Mar, 10 2015 @ 03:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: JohnPhoenix
I have another Original thought about this proposed drug that appears to slow down time for the subject -

LEARNING - would be awesome if you thought you had more time!

Think about it. We talk ourselves out of learning things like a new language for example because they take too long to learn. 4 years of college? How about 8 for a doctorate or master (whatever) .. we talk ourselves out of doing those things because of the time involved. Using a drug to make you think you have all the time in the wold will cancel out those objections.

Thats about the only possible good thing I can see from this if it were really ever invented.

Yeah I would love to see this technology applied to our daily lives, we would develop two minds, one in normal time while the other was in super slow time. We would all be a bit different after that im sure, and alot smarter to boot!

posted on Mar, 10 2015 @ 04:21 AM
link   
The scariest place most people do not venture much into, is their own mind.

IMO, most criminals, especially the psycho type, do not fear physical death, in fact most people doing very dangerous things, like drug cartel people do not fear death.

Most of you are reeling in shock at the idea of being trapped within your mind for a perceived mental duration of 1,000 years. I think such a thing would be good as a punishment. I mean, looking at prisons now, you have people getting catered to, and not coming out rehabilitated in the slightest. As torturous as it sounds, I think it might actually be a punishment that COULD get people to think before they act without regard for their life or the lives around them. If you don't fear death, why would you worry about capitol punishment? (Granted it make take 20 years as lawyers argue for retrials, etc.).

I suppose from as certain aspect this would be quite the torture, being forced to think is a terrible thing, being forced to live within your limited mental capacities for 1,000 years would just be absolute punishment. I certain think, in some cases, it would be a perfect punishment. I consider this far less barbaric then murdering someone, or executing them. I mean, after all, nothing is quite as painful as loosing a loved one, especially when they were expected to live a long healthy life.

How about all those suffering mental anguish over being abused, raped, held hostage and used as slaves in any capacity? They have to live the rest of their lives with that in their memories. 80 years of that haunting your dreams isn't a torture of it's own merit? A thousand years, seems fitting.

For those of you raising comments about the bible, a 1,000 years in your head, would be a slight, mediocre taste of Hell. Perhaps it would make you change your ways. After all, once you die, and if you go to Hell, an eternity is much longer then 1,000 years.

However, this subject is a double-edged sword. All technologies have the potential for great good, just as they do for great evil. Much like a hammer, the wielder is the one who decides it's use. If you could apply this to education, and supply content to help a person learn. Imagine the technological advancements, in every possible field. It would be truly amazing. A 1,000 years of learning in less then a day. Productivity would go through the roof, as would advancement.

As I said tho, the duality of thing, is up to the person using it. Something like this would truly change the world we live in, in a very short amount of time.

posted on Mar, 10 2015 @ 04:30 AM
link   
This drug will have side effects. but whats the use of this drug any way, makes you wonder
a reply to: FormOfTheLord

posted on Mar, 10 2015 @ 05:19 AM
link   
I know we aren't supposed to discuss drug use but this was strictly medical and administered in an emergency room... And, stick with me, the story is relevant to this thread.

Dislocated my shoulder for like the third time. Was in Queens and not near my home in Manhattan. Was too far from the hospital that fixed it the first few times, so I went to the nearest ER (if you've ever dislocated your shoulder, you'll understand my urgency in getting it treated and the pain stopped). Now, the prior times this happened, they basically tried to re-set it by yanking on it for a bit and when that didn't work, they doped me up with tons of pain medicine and some white liquid that looked like milk in an IV and knocked me out completely. That allowed them to fix me up and I'd wake up in a sling.

This ER, however, must have had a different protocol or something. As soon as the first nurse saw me and the pain on my face, she must've taken pity on me and she rushed me back to a trauma room. She had barely helped me out of my shirt (with scissors... god I loved that Celtics shirt...) when 4 doctors came in. One jabbed an IV in me while another entered a code into a machine and started pulling out bottles of drugs. I didn't see any white stuff but recognized the names they asked me if I was allergic to as the pain stuff they gave me before.

Then they got to what I would come to despise. They asked if I had ever had Ketamine. I said no. The docs joked that I was gonna love it... I didn't.

As soon as they put it in the IV and it went in my arm, I was gone. I felt like I experienced a month in what the nurse later said was about 12 minutes I was out real time. I know it was a month because I looked at the "calendar" in my apartment every day in this nightmare. I actually lived every day and can remember it now as if it was real. And it was truly messed up. Most days would start out normal, but rapidly degenerated into some nightmarish "reality."

I had to stay in the ER after they fixed my shoulder over 8 hours cuz I was so messed up mentally after that.

So, I guess I'd be against this type of thing. And, I gotta say, at least for me, there already exists a similar drug, albeit not as time distorting.

posted on Mar, 10 2015 @ 05:24 AM
link   
a reply to: 35Foxtrot

Fascinating.

I wonder if the drug under discussion here was discovered in a side effect of something far more innocuous?

posted on Mar, 10 2015 @ 07:52 AM
link   

I'm not too sure I understand this.
I mean, I understand the part about fooling the mind into thinking that 1,000 years has passed, but I don't understand how this can possibly allow someone to do that amount of thinking or learning in that time.

We are still confined by the physical world. In 8 hours I might get 100 things done which are then imprinted on my memory as moments in that time, but the perception of 1,000 years having passed in that time will obviously not produce the same memory.

Even if we break this down to a few hours, even if we could fool the mind into thinking four hours have passed when only one has, I will not become more intelligent through learning because I would still only be able to read a part of one book.

So I agree that it would be an interesting way to deal with punishment (although I'm sure victims of crime would not be happy to see someone out the same day) but the notion that this could somehow advance our mental capacity seems to be a nonsense. We're still reliant on the stimuli and the physical world around us.

posted on Mar, 11 2015 @ 02:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: 0zzymand0s
a reply to: 35Foxtrot

Fascinating.

I wonder if the drug under discussion here was discovered in a side effect of something far more innocuous?
Link

posted on Mar, 11 2015 @ 11:53 AM
link   
Yeah, and if we could travel at the speed of light we could reach the sun in 8 minutes.

I too can make up technology that neither exists nor has any prior plausibility.

posted on Mar, 16 2015 @ 08:56 PM
link   
Lots of potential good could come from technology like this, but put into the hands of small minds it will be wasted on torture most likely.

posted on Mar, 19 2015 @ 12:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: Answer

originally posted by: and14263
Yes, we could use a drug like this to punish criminals... Or we could give it to great thinkers and scientists so 1000 years of thinking and deduction can be done in a day, thus advancing civilisation!

No, punish the criminals.

Great minds think alike.

The educational/philosophical implications were my first thought, not punishment for criminals.

Imagine what Einstein could have done with 1000 years... or Stephen Hawking... or Neil Degrasse Tyson.

My first thought as well.
I want this for myself, whats wrong with adding an extra 1000 "virtual" years to my life every weekend. Well, I'm sure there's to be some kind of major side effect but I for one would be willing to test that theory. If not then I would be able to assimilate the entire body of knowledge of the human race in less than a couple weekends.

posted on Mar, 19 2015 @ 12:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: MasterOfTheDamned

originally posted by: Answer

originally posted by: and14263
Yes, we could use a drug like this to punish criminals... Or we could give it to great thinkers and scientists so 1000 years of thinking and deduction can be done in a day, thus advancing civilisation!

No, punish the criminals.

Great minds think alike.

The educational/philosophical implications were my first thought, not punishment for criminals.

Imagine what Einstein could have done with 1000 years... or Stephen Hawking... or Neil Degrasse Tyson.

My first thought as well.
I want this for myself, whats wrong with adding an extra 1000 "virtual" years to my life every weekend. Well, I'm sure there's to be some kind of major side effect but I for one would be willing to test that theory. If not then I would be able to assimilate the entire body of knowledge of the human race in less than a couple weekends.

I too would love this for myself. I could not only learn anything but also experience endless pleasure in a lucid dream like world. It would make learning exponential and give real meaning to our lives.

posted on Jun, 3 2015 @ 12:16 PM
link   
This is a drug i would like to see developed and used to better humanity and our lives. I would love to spend a thousand years in my own virtual world, tinkering with technology and creating new wonderous thoughts and gaining a few powers while im at it lol.

posted on Jun, 6 2015 @ 08:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: Cygnis
The scariest place most people do not venture much into, is their own mind.

IMO, most criminals, especially the psycho type, do not fear physical death, in fact most people doing very dangerous things, like drug cartel people do not fear death.

Most of you are reeling in shock at the idea of being trapped within your mind for a perceived mental duration of 1,000 years. I think such a thing would be good as a punishment. I mean, looking at prisons now, you have people getting catered to, and not coming out rehabilitated in the slightest. As torturous as it sounds, I think it might actually be a punishment that COULD get people to think before they act without regard for their life or the lives around them. If you don't fear death, why would you worry about capitol punishment? (Granted it make take 20 years as lawyers argue for retrials, etc.).

I suppose from as certain aspect this would be quite the torture, being forced to think is a terrible thing, being forced to live within your limited mental capacities for 1,000 years would just be absolute punishment. I certain think, in some cases, it would be a perfect punishment. I consider this far less barbaric then murdering someone, or executing them. I mean, after all, nothing is quite as painful as loosing a loved one, especially when they were expected to live a long healthy life.

How about all those suffering mental anguish over being abused, raped, held hostage and used as slaves in any capacity? They have to live the rest of their lives with that in their memories. 80 years of that haunting your dreams isn't a torture of it's own merit? A thousand years, seems fitting.

For those of you raising comments about the bible, a 1,000 years in your head, would be a slight, mediocre taste of Hell. Perhaps it would make you change your ways. After all, once you die, and if you go to Hell, an eternity is much longer then 1,000 years.

However, this subject is a double-edged sword. All technologies have the potential for great good, just as they do for great evil. Much like a hammer, the wielder is the one who decides it's use. If you could apply this to education, and supply content to help a person learn. Imagine the technological advancements, in every possible field. It would be truly amazing. A 1,000 years of learning in less then a day. Productivity would go through the roof, as would advancement.

As I said tho, the duality of thing, is up to the person using it. Something like this would truly change the world we live in, in a very short amount of time.

Very good point this tech could be a big help to humanity of a big hinderance. . . .

posted on Aug, 4 2015 @ 08:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: Aazadan

originally posted by: galadofwarthethird
a reply to: infinityorder
A thousand years is merely just there for shock value. A human does not the mental capacity for thinking or being a thousand years. There are many such drugs which will mess with your perception of time, in fact pretty much all of them do it on some level. This however the only thing it would do is likely mess with the induced person head. It will likely just as much turn them into vegetables as anything, but cope it with fear and that right there is just a real extra long seem like its going on for years nightmare. It would be like going down the rabbit hole, for a very long long time, and probably when you come out. It will lead to one prolonged mind#ery.

How do you know we don't have the capacity for 1000 years? Personally I would love to be able to accumulate a thousand years worth of experience without the side effects of living through all the bad times and seeing my friends/family age past me. Just imagine the types of things you could do with 1000 years worth of education, the depths of study and level of cross discipline insight you could come up with is mind boggling.

The possibilities are endless with this drug and this type of technology, where perception becomes reality.

posted on Aug, 4 2015 @ 08:54 PM
link   

Do you realize how happy my wife will be? That 30 seconds we share will seem like days. Have to laugh at yourself sometimes. This is seriously messed up though

posted on Sep, 29 2015 @ 05:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: Reallyfolks

Do you realize how happy my wife will be? That 30 seconds we share will seem like days. Have to laugh at yourself sometimes. This is seriously messed up though

When I spend 1000 years of lucid dreaming every night I will be so very satisfied!

I think we could develop a dual mind with this tech, one that deals with the present moment in the outside world while the other one thinks of infinate things and has countless experiences, but both should keep in toouch with each other FTW!
edit on 29-9-2015 by FormOfTheLord because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 29 2015 @ 05:35 AM
link   

Be locked with my brain for a thousand years, nooooo, nooooooooooooo... There is no way i would like to be locked in with my brain for a thousand years.

posted on Sep, 29 2015 @ 05:50 AM
link   

i dont think that the brain could handle 1000 years of perceived sensory input!

posted on Nov, 7 2015 @ 10:28 AM
link   
I think this could only work if there was a controlled lucid virtual reality dream state that you were in during the 1000 year period within 8 hours.

Given things like hallucinagens this could make you very very blissed out for a 1000 years in your own mind!

new topics

top topics

<< 8  9  10    12 >>

join