It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Putin Said to Shrink Inner Circle as Ukraine Hawks Trump Tycoons

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 23 2015 @ 12:03 AM
link   
Putin Said to Shrink Inner Circle as Ukraine Hawks Trump Tycoons

Vladimir Putin isn’t just angering leaders from Berlin to Washington. He’s irking some of his richest friends, too, by snubbing their pleas to end the conflict in Ukraine and ostracizing all but a handful of hardliners.

The ruble’s plunge has heightened opposition to Putin’s backing of the rebellion in Ukraine among his wealthiest allies, prompting the president to shrink his inner circle from dozens of confidants to a small group of security officials united by their support for the separatists, two longtime associates said.

Putin is increasingly suspicious of men who owe their wealth to their ties to him and who are being hurt the most by U.S. and European sanctions, according to the people, who spoke on condition of anonymity to avoid reprisal. The 21 most affluent people in the country lost a total of $61 billion last year, a quarter of their combined fortune, according to the Bloomberg Billionaires Index.

Businessmen who have long been close to Putin are “on the periphery now,” said Sergei Markov, a political consultant who helped monitor the referendum in Crimea that led to Russia’s annexation of the peninsula in March.

The core group around Putin is led by Security Council Secretary Nikolai Patrushev, Federal Security Service head Alexander Bortnikov, Foreign Intelligence Service chief Mikhail Fradkov and Defense Minister Sergei Shoigu, according to Markov.

click link for remainder of article.

So it begins / advances internally...

The people who owe their fortunes to Putin are being pushed out and the military contingent is being brought in and elevated and more isolated.

Putin's adventures in Ukraine have cost those 21 people he made rich about 61 Billion last year. They are being pushed out of the inner circle and now run the gambit of having to keep their mouths closed less they face Putin's wrath. However the rich are not the only ones who are unhappy. Apparently discontent is expanding to other groups who have spoken out publicly.

Back in Moscow, there’s growing alarm being voiced among the elite about the political and financial costs of staying the course on Ukraine.

While Putin’s approval rating remains near an all-time high and most Russians support aiding the rebels, the collapse of oil prices and a looming recession have led two prominent former officials to call on the Russian leader to find a way to end the fighting -- rare public prodding in a country where the Kremlin controls every major media outlet.

The rich allies of Putin -

“There is a group of people in the upper echelons trying to protect themselves from losses,” Pavlovsky said. “They are critical of Putin but they can’t challenge him because he can easily crush them. That makes them even more unhappy.”

People who supported Putin are now using terms like "betrayed" and "loyalty meaning nothing".

Putin lied to many times to internal interest groups, namely -
The military
The business community

Since its obvious Putin is not going to take responsibility for his actions he is now circling the wagon with those people who have the ability to command the armed forces and can protect him from the people who supposedly support him by 85%. I make this comment because he is removing the people who essentially control large chunks of the Russian economy. If Putin is tossing them aside then chances are he is going to ignore the economic issues even more. That 85% is going to drop.

The question now becomes - Can Putin be stopped / removed before he starts world war 3 because his ego is writing checks his body cant cash.

edit on 23-1-2015 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 23 2015 @ 12:35 AM
link   
I don't think so.....Putin seems too well ensconced in his position to be put aside right now.....
The further losses of Russian soldiers coming home in body bags from "training accidents"
May swing the people from such high support ratings over time....but the control Putin enjoys of the Russain elite is unassailable at this point.....

posted on Jan, 23 2015 @ 12:53 AM
link   
a reply to: stirling

Actually the elite are the ones the article talks about Putin abandoning them for the military circle. Considering all that has happened and the way Putin is selling it on the home front it was only a matter of time before he was forced to choose between the economic interest groups and the military interests groups.

Considering the pros and cons between who to hitch your wagon to -

The military wagon is the better bet. At least that way if the economy goes farther down the toilet, and its expected to, he can retain power via the military.

Either way its going to become more interesting to see how tis one plays out.

posted on Jan, 23 2015 @ 12:58 AM
link   
a reply to: Xcathdra

there is one thing thing i get out of this....Putin should not care what the elite think....the elite are greedy snot rags and care not about anything but money...regardless of Putin's intentions the elites can only offer bad advice to him...unless of course he is in bed with them

posted on Jan, 23 2015 @ 01:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: hopenotfeariswhatweneedunless of course he is in bed with them

That right there is your answer. Putin was responsible for their fortunes by seizing companies and then dolling the assets out to his supporters.

Take a look at all of the large scale state controlled business in Russia. You will find many examples of this occurring. It allowed putin to tightly control the economy side. Since those people are now losing money because of his actions in Ukraine, they are pissed.

Master of 2 servants.

posted on Jan, 23 2015 @ 02:14 AM
link   
a reply to: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

.the elite are greedy snot rags and care not about anything but money

And yet Putin is different how?

posted on Jan, 23 2015 @ 02:20 AM
link   
It does make me chuckle that these business men in his awesome circle of awesome (no girls allowed.... or is that No! GIRLS ALOUD we may never know) didnt think for one second

' Hang on, though this Putin chap is bringing in the pennies for me and my brethren. Maybe this little war he has got us involved in might not be so good for us fellows! '

Im just waiting for Putin to ride into the Ukraine on the back of a bear topless with an AK-47. At that point might aswell lay down arms as no one should go up against a 80's action hero.

Oh well, they only have themselves to blame for.... Putin it about..

posted on Jan, 23 2015 @ 03:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: tsurfer2000h
a reply to: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

.the elite are greedy snot rags and care not about anything but money

And yet Putin is different how?

He gets to make decisions would be about the only thing.....assuming he is not a puppet that is

posted on Jan, 23 2015 @ 04:46 AM
link   
a reply to: stirling

If the so-called 'rich' in Russia lost 1/4 of their assets, it wouldn't take much more cash to pay for a lead 'non-confidence' vote.

After all, it's a Russian tradition.....

posted on Jan, 23 2015 @ 04:52 AM
link   

Many years ago I read phrophcy (Tuesday Loband Rampa) that said that Russia and Americia will become friends but will not remain friends for long. Cant remember if he said that war wil result.

bugger a.g.e, its a terrible disease.

posted on Jan, 23 2015 @ 08:28 AM
link   
To understand Russian politics nowadays you need to understand Putin at great depth. I've read as much as I can about the guy.

Personally I believe Putin really believes Russia can economically succeed without Western business ties. This was the old Soviet mentality of making everything themselves, augmented by the fact Russia can continue trading with many non-US aligned countries. Putin accepts the shock to the economy will be hard, but after the adjustments are made the country will rebound.

Putin has total control of the security apparatus in Russia. That is his base of power. Years ago there was a massive purge of military officers so he should have total control over the military. His dedicated spending to renew the Military surely buys him loyalty in that arena. There is 0% chance of removing Putin short of a direct military precision strike...something that isn't going to happen.

The Oligarchs know what happens to them if they step out of line. They have no political influence to be honest. They can only continue to report how bad the economy is to Putin and let people in the streets begin to demand change.

The West is playing the right game. It is going to take time to slowly dig Putin out of his very powerful position. It is going to take time for Ukraine to train enough fighting men to ensure Russia doesn't take them over entirely. The equipment will be there when the troops are all trained. Destroying the Russian economy is a slow process but it doesn't spill any Western blood and it ensures Russia will comply with international norms.

posted on Jan, 23 2015 @ 08:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: learnatic

Many years ago I read phrophcy (Tuesday Loband Rampa) that said that Russia and Americia will become friends but will not remain friends for long. Cant remember if he said that war wil result.

bugger a.g.e, its a terrible disease.

I think we are in the "friends no more" stage. Russia and the US were quite warm to one another in the 90's. There were many agreements and deals made between the two. It came to a head when the US went rouge and started the war on terror.

We could have went into the future with a united east/west but the west wants it all.

posted on Jan, 23 2015 @ 08:41 AM
link   

posted on Jan, 23 2015 @ 04:34 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 23 2015 @ 04:40 PM
link   
a reply to: LOSTinAMERICA

This is included in the information section from the poster of the video -

Did Putin cry upon hearing his national anthem? You be the judge.

posted on Jan, 23 2015 @ 04:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xcathdra

This is included in the information section from the poster of the video -

Did Putin cry upon hearing his national anthem? You be the judge.

I know, but it was the only video I could find where he was crying. He's good at crying.

posted on Jan, 23 2015 @ 04:44 PM
link   
If you don't learn by your mistakes, you're stupid.

posted on Jan, 23 2015 @ 04:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: LOSTinAMERICA

I know, but it was the only video I could find where he was crying. He's good at crying.

unusual for a man who hunts T-rex and wrestles saber tooth tigers shirtless.

posted on Jan, 23 2015 @ 05:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xcathdra

originally posted by: LOSTinAMERICA

unusual for a man who hunts T-rex and wrestles saber tooth tigers shirtless.

We don't believe the hype. He'll go away like the T-Rex and Sabre-tooth Tiger.

posted on Jan, 23 2015 @ 05:07 PM
link   

I agree..

the question is does he go down by himself or will he drag everyone else down with him.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join