It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Circumcision Linked to Autism in New Danish Study

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 22 2015 @ 06:41 PM
link   
a reply to: eisegesis

I think you're thinking castration?

Circumcision is different.

posted on Jan, 22 2015 @ 06:50 PM
link   
a reply to: ~Lucidity

No, I should have been clearer. Just trying to make a correlation between modifying an animal/human from birth and how it seems to change us in ways we don't understand. If this study was true, it further convinces me we should just pop out and remain are true selves. Hey, maybe were not even supposed to cut the umbilical cord? Imagine stringing mom along on your first date.

posted on Jan, 22 2015 @ 06:51 PM
link   
a reply to: Pardon?

Yeah. I do agree that its likely they are just widening the criteria like with a.d.d. , but I do believe in the extreme cases (what we previously considered autistic before spectrum and aspbergers there are external factors that are increasing prevalence. If it really just is more diagnosis ans the same amount of incidence then thw dire prediction recently made , about the future rates, is really manipulative science. I think cases prob are I creasing but not at tge rates we are made to think with b.s. diagnosis.

This article though.. it's garbage. It makes absolutely zero sense. Unless they discover a new purpose of the foreskin or are saying being exposed to bacteria in an open wound at that age has an effect, then its garbage.

posted on Jan, 22 2015 @ 06:53 PM
link   

Ah, okay. Sorry I was bewildered for a minute there. Thanks for clarifying.

posted on Jan, 22 2015 @ 07:03 PM
link   
I don't know about autism, but circumcision for any reason other than for treating a medical problem is just plain barbaric. I've often wondered what sort of effect it has on the male psyche. Given the mentality of men in regions of the world where circumcision is a routine and widespread practice practiced (Jews, Muslims, and Americans) it makes me wonder if part of that is some deep rooted psychological reaction of having your genitals mutilated without your consent.

If I ever had a son, I'd punch the first doctor who suggested it without medical reason. The garbage about circumcision being more "sanitary" and "better is complete BS, when you consider about half of the world's population is uncircumcised, and they seem to grow up and function just fine.

posted on Jan, 22 2015 @ 07:20 PM
link   
There have been studies done on circumcised babies pre and post procedure using MRI. There was signs and brain trauma indicating some level of PTSD. We have yet to understand how such a painful and completely unnecessary medical intervention affects children as they get older. Circumcision removes a large part of pleasure neurons in the tissue. It's barbaric that the U.S routinely performs and advocates for such.

posted on Jan, 22 2015 @ 07:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bluesma
Do they do it to everyone in England too?

Thankfully, they do not. Only the religiously inclined or those who are advised for medical reasons do it, the rest of us are au-naturel - as God intended

posted on Jan, 22 2015 @ 07:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: ~Lucidity

I think you're thinking castration?

Circumcision is different.

SHusss, dammit!

posted on Jan, 22 2015 @ 07:25 PM
link   
I was circumsized around the age of 4-5. It was the most traumatic experience of my life and left a lot of scarring on my manhood. When I had to pee, it felt like fire and lava was coming out of me, it was so painful I would cry in agony and spend hours taking a simple piss. This lasted for like 3 weeks. During this whole time I had to wear this plastic ring on my coque. By the way, the surgery they only used local anesthesia. It literally felt like someone with a hunting knife was exploring my innards and testicles with absolutely no care. The pain was unbelievable. The doctor was an ass-hat, he told me mom my penis was small so they ended up cutting too much of skin by accident. No # my penis is small I was 4 years old.

It is because of adherence to an old Jewish tradition that it is done, and people try to justify it with pseudo science, as if the male penis is some dirty disgusting thing that must be mutilated to appease the clergy class. Furthermore, you never reach your full size when most of your skin is cut off and thrown to the dogs. I'm not saying I'm small (exactly average for a north american male) but I know what dongs with their foreskin left on look like and usually they seem to be massive (innocent research, nothing sexual).
edit on 22-1-2015 by Mehmet666Heineken because: Missed some things

posted on Jan, 22 2015 @ 07:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: Mehmet666Heineken
I was circumsized around the age of 4. It was the most traumatic experience of my life and left a lot of scarring on my manhood. It is because of adherence to an old Jewish tradition that it is done, and people try to justify it with pseudo science, as if the male penis is some dirty disgusting thing that must be mutilated to appease the clergy class. Furthermore, you never reach your full size when most of your skin is cut off and thrown to the dogs. I'm not saying I'm small (exactly average for a north american male) but I know what dongs with their foreskin left on look like and usually they seem to be massive (innocent research, nothing sexual).

You knuw I've noticed the exact same thing!!! In fact I researched this when deciding on what to do with my boys. We decided against it and glad we did. If our boys feel so awkward no being cut they can make that decision for themselves later in life under anesthesia by a qualified surgeon not some ER doc doing it on the side for extra money! Had a doc friend that would make $250 per 10 min circumcision.

posted on Jan, 22 2015 @ 07:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: GogoVicMorrow
a reply to: Pardon?

This article though.. it's garbage. It makes absolutely zero sense. Unless they discover a new purpose of the foreskin or are saying being exposed to bacteria in an open wound at that age has an effect, then its garbage.

Agreed. But then, it's being promoted by the Royal Society..of Farts.

posted on Jan, 22 2015 @ 07:33 PM
link   
a reply to: Skadi_the_Evil_Elf

Quite - it has always baffled me why it is so popular in the US among those who aren't Jewish/Muslim.

I have only known two blokes in my whole life who've had it done, one a cousin and the other a school friend and in both cases it was for medical reasons. In fact, circumcision is so rare in the UK that we thought it odd enough to take the piss out them, as boys are prone to do.

Any argument that it is "more hygienic" or gives you better sex is bogus.

posted on Jan, 22 2015 @ 07:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: MiddleClassWhiteBoy

originally posted by: Mehmet666Heineken
I was circumsized around the age of 4. It was the most traumatic experience of my life and left a lot of scarring on my manhood. It is because of adherence to an old Jewish tradition that it is done, and people try to justify it with pseudo science, as if the male penis is some dirty disgusting thing that must be mutilated to appease the clergy class. Furthermore, you never reach your full size when most of your skin is cut off and thrown to the dogs. I'm not saying I'm small (exactly average for a north american male) but I know what dongs with their foreskin left on look like and usually they seem to be massive (innocent research, nothing sexual).

You knuw I've noticed the exact same thing!!! In fact I researched this when deciding on what to do with my boys. We decided against it and glad we did. If our boys feel so awkward no being cut they can make that decision for themselves later in life under anesthesia by a qualified surgeon not some ER doc doing it on the side for extra money! Had a doc friend that would make $250 per 10 min circumcision.

You made a good choice. In my own opinion, I think it's best to do it when they're infants and not able to recount the traumatic memory, or as you said later under full anesthesia. But in my opinion, going under full anesthesia is too risky for something so unnecessary as circumcision. Surgery is always a risk. Circumsiciion to me is a barbaric Jewish tradition that for some reason is deliberately and blindly followed by Muslims and Christians for absolutely no reason. Some of these ass-hats have even taken it a bit further in places like Africa and India where they chop off the female genitalia as well.

posted on Jan, 22 2015 @ 08:17 PM
link   

Well the umbilical cord is attached to the placenta and the placenta is expelled (afterbirth) so the result would be a baby with a rotting placenta dangling from a disintegrating umbilical cord. Cutting the cord is just saving the mother from having to use her mouth like an animal.

In regards to your cat: spaying/neutering does indeed affect behavior (hence the lack of spraying) but that's because the gonads (testicles, ovaries) are removed so the animals are then lacking all that normal hormone production.

I'm not looking to engage in a debate about potential health benefits of circumcision or the lack thereof but I think the ethical argument to made here is simple:

Do the risks outweigh the benefits?

If it turns out that there is some link between painful experiences in the first years of life and an increase risk of developmental issues, then one would have to consider whether any possible benefits clearly outweigh the combined risks of potential developmental issues as well as those already known. If anesthetic/analgesics can be used to alleviate the pain and thereby mitigate the risk of developmental issues, the question becomes do any potential benefits outweigh the risks of the procedure plus the risks of using anesthetics/analgesics.

posted on Jan, 22 2015 @ 08:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: stumason
a reply to: Skadi_the_Evil_Elf

Quite - it has always baffled me why it is so popular in the US among those who aren't Jewish/Muslim.

I have only known two blokes in my whole life who've had it done, one a cousin and the other a school friend and in both cases it was for medical reasons. In fact, circumcision is so rare in the UK that we thought it odd enough to take the piss out them, as boys are prone to do.

Any argument that it is "more hygienic" or gives you better sex is bogus.

It's all about aerodynamics of course.

posted on Jan, 22 2015 @ 09:42 PM
link   
a reply to: theantediluvian

I have a daughter who is autistic, no circumcision, and my sister in law has a son who is autism, yes a circumcision. Autism has been blamed erroneously on vaccines (fake study, so now half of Hollywood and those that follow don't vaccinate), GMO's have been blamed, genetics have been blamed (I'm more inclined to go this route), mutations of a gene in the brain have been blamed (again, another good theory), poor attachment skills of the mother, (blame mom, always her fault is a great route to go!), gestational diabetes, prenatal medication, I mean, I could go on of course. Here's the real answer.....

THEY DON'T KNOW AND ARE STILL RESEARCHING. There you go. I solved the case for everybody.

In all seriousness, I really do hope they find a cause. But as a mother of an autistic adult, what angers me, is autism is on the rise, while funding for autism therapies and schools are falling. Most states way of dealing with autism is to treat it as a mental illness, and how do we treat mental illness? We lock them up in a psych ward. My 15 year old daughter at the time spent 3 stays at a psych ward for soldiers coming back from Iraq and Afghanistan. She operated on an 8 year old level and barely knew what a woman's cycle was. Meanwhile she got to listen to guys talk about seeing people with body parts blown off. Thanks state! Just where an 8 year old mind needed to be! I was pissed! Not at the soldiers. They didn't know and once they realized, they toned it down a bit, but at the state. THEY knew and they put her there anyway. Autism is NOT a mental illness. Now she is in a group home an hour and a half away from me and spends the weekends with me until eventually she will transition out and live with me on a full time basis. She doesn't talk about her psych stays. And truthfully I don't blame her. But she knows if she ever wants to, I'm here for her. She'll be 20 this year and operates on a 12 year old level.

posted on Jan, 22 2015 @ 09:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: Pardon?

originally posted by: GetHyped
a reply to: ketsuko

Nothing wrong with showing correlation in science. It's the springboard for further, more rigorous research to find a causal link (if any). This study does just that: offers a starting point for further research. It could well turn out that there's absolutely nothing to it. And that's fine. It's how science works.

You're correct however since it's pretty much accepted that autism is genetic this study seems pretty redundant.

I'm guessing here (but I've seen it several times before) that an hypothesis has been put forward and the authors have used a specific algorithm to make the data fit that hypothesis.
I'm happy to keep an open mind on this but there's so much missing from it to be as robust as it should.

There are also studies that if there is any previous brain trauma, it can cause autism in the child. With my daughter she was born missing part of her brain. It's the Corpus Callosum, the part of the brain that connects the left half of the brain with the right. Medically she has two brains and has what is known as split brain personality. She had to undergo aquatic therapy to teach her to throw a ball from one hand to the other. Something we can do without thinking, she had to be trained to do. She also suffered oxygen loss at birth due to dying 3 times. Her doctors assume this is why she has autism, as there are some studies regarding autism and brain trauma. She also has a host of neurological issues related to the brain, but therapy has helped.

posted on Jan, 22 2015 @ 10:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: GetHyped

originally posted by: ~Lucidity
More likely it's the vaccines administered at the same time as most circs are done.

Nope. That argument has long been debunked a thousand times over.

Wakefield Vaccine Study

Here are some of the major problems with the study, as laid out by Deer in BMJ:

•The children in the study were not randomly selected. None of them lived anywhere near the hospital where Wakefield's team examined them. One came from as far away as California. All were recruited through anti-MMR-vaccine campaigners.
•Wakefield did not disclose that he was acting as a paid consultant to a U.K. lawyer who was suing MMR vaccine makers for damages. Wakefield was paid about $668,000 plus expenses.
•Despite being described as "previously normal," five of the children had evidence of developmental problems before receiving the MMR vaccine.
•Only one of the 12 children in the study had regressive autism, although the study reported that nine of them had this condition. Three of these nine children were never diagnosed with autism.
•In nine cases, gut examinations of the children were changed from "unremarkable" to "non-specific colitis."
•For all 12 children in the study, medical records and parent accounts contradict case descriptions in the published study.

posted on Jan, 23 2015 @ 03:54 AM
link   
11 guys at my home with Autism not one is circumcised.
We can now better diagnose it so that is why it appears on the rise.
These guys rock in their own and special way...I don't see autism as a bad thing It is just a different way of interacting with the world.
Oh and my 2nd wife made me do it and sex was better for me before I had it done.

edit on 23-1-2015 by boymonkey74 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 23 2015 @ 06:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: boymonkey74
11 guys at my home with Autism not one is circumcised.
We can now better diagnose it so that is why it appears on the rise.
These guys rock in their own and special way...I don't see autism as a bad thing It is just a different way of interacting with the world.
Oh and my 2nd wife made me do it and sex was better for me before I had it done.

My daughter's group home has a capacity of 4 girls with a staff of one member per girl, plus a cook, and a head member at all times. Each girl gets their own room, each girl has chores related to them, such as cleaning dishes, doing their laundry, or cleaning their bedroom. It has helped my daughter with independence. I've even bought her a crockpot, and a sandwich squeezer so that, with supervision, she can learn to cook her own meals eventually. I've given her her favorite soup recipe I make that she likes. I normally make it very intricate, but I made it so it only has 3 ingredients plus spices. Easy peasy! She loves that I am helping her help herself, without doing it for her. If I were still married, her father would be banning her from the kitchen. She wasn't even allowed to stir! Heck, she couldn't even sit in a chair and just watch me. I want her to be independent, even if it's only semi-independent because I know there will be a day when I will no longer be there.

11 guys! Lordy I think I would go insane. I always wanted a big family, but I don't know about that big! LOL Good on you for taking them all on though! I see autism the same way. Just another way of interacting with the world. I used to tell people it's her world, we're just visiting it. It gave them a better idea of how she is when talking to her. And she speed talks and sometimes mumbles too! So talking to her is a challenge! LOL When she was younger, it was sometimes asier because you could point to your mouth and she'd slow down. Now you have to ask politely to repeat that and she gives a typical teen eye roll with a "Didn't you just hear me?" LOL So I tell her the truth, "Mommy's going deaf and I didn't get all that, can you say it slowly for me sweety?" That usually does the trick. If my dad asks her to repeat stuff, I tease her and say Grandpa's getting old honey. She'll laugh then slow down for him.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join