It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Northrop Grumman announces fighter bid

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 05:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sammamishman
a reply to: aholic

More nails in NG's LSR-B coffin.

FWIG if NG doesn't win this it could be the end of their bomber division. That can explain their recent desperation. This could end up being pretty bad for them.

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 06:06 PM
link   
And NG ends up bought by - Boeing or LM? Or (other)?

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 06:17 PM
link   
a reply to: Bedlam

I think they still have other sides to their company that are keeping the boat afloat. A couple of programs in the fold but loosing their bomber division would be a huge blow. There would be no point in keeping it active when it could be another 30 years before another contract even teases the surface.

This is why its suspected they'd announce an F/A-xx or 6th gen fighter. There wont be a bomber competition after this one for a long, long while.

But NG as a company still has an edge in many other sectors of aerospace that should keep them alive.

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 06:52 PM
link   
a reply to: yuppa

Whoops, left for work and missed the edit window. Lets try This
Its been posted before and after watching that commercial a few more times the leading edge of the wing is different than those in the link, definitely something cool though.

edit on 2-2-2015 by StratosFear because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 07:36 PM
link   
a reply to: StratosFear

I don't know about that link. I'm not satisfied with his proposed answers to what the sightings over Texas and Wichita could have been.

How bad would it have been if NG just took the drone from the shot before put a tarp over it and said "nobody will notice that's not the exact same plane with a tarp over it as the one from the shot before."

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 07:42 PM
link   

There have been rumors that NG WILL be at least a subcontractor on most future UAV programs.

There won't be a need for them to have a bomber division anymore. The BUFF will fly another 25 years if not longer.

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 07:58 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

Also that the LRS program is a "family" of systems and NG already has two projects well ingrained in that family. They won't fade away.

Star to whomever knows both platforms!

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 08:03 PM
link   
Hint.... And we should all make a thread regarding this..... New 2016 budget screams these projects.

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 08:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58
The BUFF will fly another 25 years if not longer.

Especially with all the new stuff they're putting in it.

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 08:44 PM
link   
a reply to: justwanttofly

And if they take GE up on the new engines.

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 09:27 PM
link   

Total stab in the dark. Replacement for the f-111 roll. And drones that will be used as an accessory to any bird serious about this years fashion. Again a total hail mary but....ehhh?

Ohh, and don't forget the RQ-180.

edit on 2-2-2015 by BASSPLYR because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 09:28 PM
link   

Yeah.

The Bone looks like it will be right there along side the BUFF too.

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 09:30 PM
link   

There are.....interesting rumors about them floating around.

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 09:34 PM
link   

Interesting. I know the Air Force is in the process of dumping money into it like the BUFF. All new glass cockpits, OSO and DSO stations, comms, and some other stuff.

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 09:42 PM
link   

The "other stuff" is where it gets fun.

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 09:42 PM
link   

The "other stuff" is where it gets fun.

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 09:58 PM
link   
a reply to: BASSPLYR

Can I give you a half star for the RQ-180 reference? That's just my professor side peeking out here. There's one more project everyone overlooking in this bomber fiasco. Related to LRS.

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 10:07 PM
link   

How bout since there are two references we needed to get I get one star instead of two?

So not the drone side kicks? Not some F111/117 replacement? Not some VLO long range bomber? Their original B2 inventory? Possibly a new 'companion' ? Always in motion the future is. Hmmm....Meditate on this I will.

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 11:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58

There have been rumors that NG WILL be at least a subcontractor on most future UAV programs.

There won't be a need for them to have a bomber division anymore. The BUFF will fly another 25 years if not longer.

I dont think there will be that much of a gap for bombers. Lets not forget the 2037 bomber project. And thats in production in 2037. So you figure at least a 10-15 year buildup time to production, and we could be looking at early 2020's for the start of that bomber.

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 11:17 PM
link   
a reply to: BASSPLYR

Sure thing!

You got the - 180. The other one dates back a bit. But has gotten some very promising funding this week that should see it as an integral part of warfare to come.

new topics

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12 >>

join