It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

GOP rep.: Keep minimum wage low ‘for minorities’ who aren’t worth more than $7 an hour

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 23 2015 @ 09:46 AM
link   
a reply to: NavyDoc

Exactly. People who are hungry enough will figure out how to make things work. I know people who worked two jobs. The internship in their desired field didn't pay, so they basically worked a second job to earn money. Once the experience from the internship was gained, they were then able to parlay that into a real job in their desired field.

Moving up the ladder takes effort. The underlying attitude I see in these post is people want something handed to them on a platter. Just because you show up to work does not mean you "Deserve" some minimal level of pay.

As has been stated over and over, minimum wage jobs are in no way designed to be a career. I don't get what is so hard to understand about this point. If you are stuck in a minimum wage job in this day and age it is because you made some serious mistakes in your life. Period.

posted on Jan, 23 2015 @ 09:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: MOMof3
Yeah, in 1968 when I graduated from high school, there use to "on the job training". Launched quit a few of boomers to careers. So expensive college was not always needed for a good job. But corporations have shifted all responsibility to the government. I think it was a tax deduction the at that time.

Bull. I can get someone a position right now with a Boeing subsidiary in New York City that does manufacturing if they are willing to do an apprenticeship.

These opportunities exist except the 'everyone needs to go to college' mentality has taken over. Hence the reason college is so expensive.

posted on Jan, 23 2015 @ 09:55 AM
link   
a reply to: Flatfish

You know what your problem is Neo? I

Yeah I have actually read Locke,Montesquieu, and Voltaire, and other classical thinkers.

Government has no other end, but the preservation of property. John Locke Read more at www.brainyquote.com...

There is no crueler tyranny than that which is perpetuated under the shield of law and in the name of justice. Charles de Montesquieu Read more at www.brainyquote.com...

It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere. Voltaire Read more at www.brainyquote.com...

I say this because, based on your view of what should be allowed in the labor market, you would have fit right in with the rest of the Slavers of the time.

That was an embarrasing comment to make:

Slavery, properly so called, is the establishment of a right which gives to one man such a power over another as renders him absolute master of his life and fortune

Montesquieu

posted on Jan, 23 2015 @ 09:56 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

is welfare to the the people acceptable??
and well would it be corporate welfare or would it help small businesses since most of the corps seem to be making big money and passing it on to their ceos and upper managements and stockholders and letting the taxpayers to worry about the actual workers!
and well let's imagine for a moment that all those welfare programs to the people stopped sending out their checks..
where would those employers that aren't paying a living wage more than likely gonna end up??
would their employees still be coming to work if they suddenly found themselves having to pay for their rent, food, childcare, healthcare and on and on? What about their customers who suddenly have found that all of their money doesn't even cover half of what they need? Do you really think they will still be coming in to buy their supersized bigmac special? Or will they instead be spending their time out in a field collecting dandelion leaves and acorns?

The cancer has spread too far. When employers are listing adds that require four or five years experience and offering a wage that still puts the employee on the welfare line well you can no longer say that these people are unskilled minorities! And well absent those welfare programs those businesses would discover that their business plans don't work worth crap and in fact is a failed business plan!! Many of the corps would quickly find the money by diverting it from stockholders and ceo's upper management depts. But most of the small businesses would find that their business model just isn't gonna work and close up shop!
We are at a fork in the road I think
Do we really want big corps running everything, giving us very little, controlling our gov't and those wellfare programs and by doing so deciding just what we servants deserve by reducing those welfare programs down to the bare minimum?

or would we rather have more small mom and pop stores with more of a local feel to them?
I'd go with the mom and pop stores myself..
so ya instead of sitting on here day in and day playing out the same gripes and counter gripes. let's look at the reality..
it was never the gov't responsibility to augment the workers salaries and they aren't really the charity cases! The charity cases are in the business sector with their failed business plans and lack of foresight who just can't or chose not to pay a suitable salary! I say lack of foresight because if they had had foresight they would have seen this day coming decades ago! I did! And I was just one of those "unskilled workers" who wasn't worth keeping alive in their eyes! And, I came to my conclusions without the internet connection and the vaste amount of material that's available there in. I was just observing what went on on a daily basis in that nice hud subsidized housing unit that we lived in that contained a mixture of welfare recipients and lower income workers!

posted on Jan, 23 2015 @ 10:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: NavyDoc

originally posted by: Flatfish

originally posted by: Edumakated

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

So the unskilled, summer or menial laborer deserves to make how much?

Because what will happen is these people will not get hired at an inordinate salary because their net contribution does not warrant it. Minimum wage jobs should be a stepping stone, not a permanent position.

Yeah, and interns should have to bid on their prospective non-paying jobs and consider themselves lucky if they get selected, just for the experience.

PLEASE!!!

Interns are a net loss for most companies. First, they don't know jack so it takes a ton of time to show them how do things (meaning more productive employees have to take time out of their regular duties supervising the kid). The intern is there to gain experience. The employer hopes the intern can add some productivity around the margins, but most interns are just getting in the way of the real employees.

The intern is there hoping to gain experience and show the employer that they can learn quickly, trainable, dependable, etc. If the intern does a great job, even if it is making copies and getting coffee, the employer may see that they are worth bringing on for an actual job. The employer will need to invest a ton of money training them so in a way the internship is a good way for the employer to make a partial investment with minimal risk in the lowest rung employee. Internships are a win win for both employer and employee.

So yes, in many cases, interns should actually be paying the employer. Most employers pay the interns more out of just being kind and because they are competing against other companies that might want to hire the same kid (there is that whole free market working again!) for the best prospects.

Total and absolute B.S. in my opinion. But hey, whatever helps you sleep at night.

If the employer is not paying the intern, then more than likely, that intern is receiving social assistance on the tax payers dime.

So in reality, that employer hasn't reduced risk or cost, he/she just pushed it off onto the tax paying public.

Like I said previously, it amounts to nothing more than corporate welfare.

? The intern us usually a college kid who is living off his parents. Govt. usually isn't involved.

Most people can't even afford to send their kids to college, much less support them through an unpaid internship.

So, are you telling me that these positions are reserved for rich kids? If so, why? Is that your idea of "equal opportunity?"

Or, is it so they can later boast about how well they understand the plight of the impoverished? You know, with a bio that includes this story about how they once even worked for free.

posted on Jan, 23 2015 @ 10:04 AM
link   

Then do it. Someone need a job? Does it pay? I got paid through the whole training, then a good raise.

posted on Jan, 23 2015 @ 10:06 AM
link   
a reply to: NavyDoc

I think that my point goes a little deeper than yours does!

The two sides are working together to bring us into a state where just about all of us are those "low skilled workers" who don't deserve a living wage and the only ones who will will be worthy will be a few at the top and a bunch of investors holding the stocks to the companies! Then the fun will begin because these people feel that they shoudn't have to pay the taxes to help keep the employees alive any more than they feel they should have to pay them a decent salary now!

posted on Jan, 23 2015 @ 10:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: NavyDoc

originally posted by: Edumakated

So the unskilled, summer or menial laborer deserves to make how much?

Because what will happen is these people will not get hired at an inordinate salary because their net contribution does not warrant it. Minimum wage jobs should be a stepping stone, not a permanent position.

Yeah, and interns should have to bid on their prospective non-paying jobs and consider themselves lucky if they get selected, just for the experience.

PLEASE!!!

Interns are a net loss for most companies. First, they don't know jack so it takes a ton of time to show them how do things (meaning more productive employees have to take time out of their regular duties supervising the kid). The intern is there to gain experience. The employer hopes the intern can add some productivity around the margins, but most interns are just getting in the way of the real employees.

The intern is there hoping to gain experience and show the employer that they can learn quickly, trainable, dependable, etc. If the intern does a great job, even if it is making copies and getting coffee, the employer may see that they are worth bringing on for an actual job. The employer will need to invest a ton of money training them so in a way the internship is a good way for the employer to make a partial investment with minimal risk in the lowest rung employee. Internships are a win win for both employer and employee.

So yes, in many cases, interns should actually be paying the employer. Most employers pay the interns more out of just being kind and because they are competing against other companies that might want to hire the same kid (there is that whole free market working again!) for the best prospects.

Total and absolute B.S. in my opinion. But hey, whatever helps you sleep at night.

If the employer is not paying the intern, then more than likely, that intern is receiving social assistance on the tax payers dime.

So in reality, that employer hasn't reduced risk or cost, he/she just pushed it off onto the tax paying public.

Like I said previously, it amounts to nothing more than corporate welfare.

? The intern us usually a college kid who is living off his parents. Govt. usually isn't involved.

Most people can't even afford to send their kids to college, much less support them through an unpaid internship.

So, are you telling me that these positions are reserved for rich kids? If so, why? Is that your idea of "equal opportunity?"

Or, is it so they can later boast about how well they understand the plight of the impoverished? You know, with a bio that includes this story about how they once even worked for free.

You really have an obsession about class don't you? First of all, most college students are middle class and parents save for decades now to send their kids to college.

Internships are usually college kids trying to get work experience and some internships even earn them course credits towards their degree. Thus, they gain value for their internship even if that value is not cash, although the vast majority of internships do also pay a wage or stipend. Usually an internship is a summer or part-time gig.

As described above, many of these interns are go-getters who take a second, paying job to support themselves as they gain the experience and exposure that the internship provides. Individuals with such drive usually do well in life, as opposed to those who want everything easy.

link   

originally posted by: neo96

You know what your problem is Neo? I

Yeah I have actually read Locke,Montesquieu, and Voltaire, and other classical thinkers.

Yeah, I'll just bet you're real big on Ayn Rand too.
edit on 23-1-2015 by Flatfish because: (no reason given)

link   

originally posted by: MOMof3
Then do it.

I did.

Does it pay?

Yes.

posted on Jan, 23 2015 @ 10:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: dawnstar

Only if it is temporary and is geared towards helping the recipient locate employment.

...and well would it be corporate welfare or would it help small businesses since most of the corps seem to be making big money and passing it on to their ceos and upper managements and stockholders and letting the taxpayers to worry about the actual workers!

I do not care who it would help, giving businesses money for any reason, regardless of the size, is not acceptable.

posted on Jan, 23 2015 @ 10:19 AM
link   

Yeah, I'll just bet you're real big on Ayn Rand too.

Better than being big on Marx.

posted on Jan, 23 2015 @ 10:23 AM
link   

Only if it is temporary and is geared towards helping the recipient locate employment.

What about that segment of our population that is just plain unemployable? Surely, you don't deny they exist.
edit on 23-1-2015 by Flatfish because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 23 2015 @ 10:24 AM
link   

What about that segment of our population that is just plain unemployable? Surely, you don't deny they exist.

There are programs for that, Unemployment is not one of them.

Stop being obtuse.

edit on 23-1-2015 by AugustusMasonicus because: networkdude has no beer

posted on Jan, 23 2015 @ 10:26 AM
link   

just what good is employment if that employment costs the taxpayer even more money???
we make single moms work now so they go get a job that is minimum wage and well they have increased their cost of living to incorporate the childcare, transportation costs, new clothing, ect and the wage doesn't even cover the child care costs!

posted on Jan, 23 2015 @ 10:29 AM
link   

just what good is employment if that employment costs the taxpayer even more money???
we make single moms work now so they go get a job that is minimum wage and well they have increased their cost of living to incorporate the childcare, transportation costs, new clothing, ect and the wage doesn't even cover the child care costs!

As far as I am concerned that practice needs to cease as well. The taxpayer should not be permanently subsidizing anyone or anything.

posted on Jan, 23 2015 @ 10:31 AM
link   
" GOP rep.: Keep minimum wage low ‘for minorities’ who aren’t worth more than $7 an hour "

This headline from the raw story is totally inaccurate.

The guy never said minorities aren't worth more than &7 an hour.

Complete BS 100%

He said the jobs are not worth it.

And the main theme was he is against Mitt Romney's thinking.

Focusing on Romney would have made a better article with more rum in the punch !!!

posted on Jan, 23 2015 @ 10:32 AM
link   

As far as I am concerned that practice needs to cease as well. The taxpayer should not be permanently subsidizing anyone or anything.

They never seem to grasp that money still ends up in the same place.

State mandated wages is corporate welfare.

posted on Jan, 23 2015 @ 10:33 AM
link   

There are programs for that, Unemployment is not one of them.

Stop being obtuse.

I didn't think we were even talking about unemployment. I thought we were talking about social welfare

posted on Jan, 23 2015 @ 10:33 AM
link   

You a good person.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join