It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sick And Tired Of Youth With Attitude Problems.

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+13 more 
posted on Jan, 22 2015 @ 09:01 AM
link   
I know that some young people have it very hard. Some have bad parents, and others have bad friends. Some have good parents and no friends (which is better if you ask me). But at the moment, I am concerned with the sort of idiot moron who has everything going for them, and yet decides to damage property, and be rude to all and sundry, constantly.

I work as a locksmith, and one of my jobs is that I have to go to a local high school in order to ensure that the locks on the lockers there are functioning to a standard which allows them to be used effectively by the student body, to store their P.E. kit, books they do not want to be carrying around with them constantly, and other sundry items that all school age children require to survive a day at school. I do this because it is my job, but I also respect the position that puts me in as a provider of security and safety for peoples persons, and possessions. It is literally my job, as an abstract, to assist people in preventing loss of their property, specifically in this case, by offering goods and services which allow them to secure their personal items, so that they have access to them during the day, without having to carry them around all the time. Having been in a big school, I know how valuable that is, how much back pain can be avoided by proper use of storage systems provided on campuses and school grounds.

So, when I have just spent an hour and a half with the schools administrator, wandering the halls testing keys that I have cut for these lockers, fixing broken locks, and making those lockers fit for use, I object, in the strongest possible terms, to the sort of dull eyed knuckle dragger who then walks up to a locker I have just finished fixing, and kicks the living hell out of it.

And you know what else? I object also, to the self same sort of bastards who walk four abreast down the road, and refuse to alter their path to allow a young lady with four bags of shopping in each hand, clearly struggling to maintain balance and forward momentum, to pass by them without having to stumble into the gutter to avoid them. I had by no means, an easy upbringing. A useless father, a mother who was on anti-depressants for a considerable period of my younger years, and a school which was full of psychopaths to contend with, made me a very angry person. But I was never, and have never been so callously and deliberately ignorant as the sort of buggers you see wandering around at lunchtime these days.

Frankly, I am disgusted. Their language, poor conduct, and ill manners are a bane on all of us, and I am concerned for the future of my country, if the pitiful specimens who "grace" our street at lunctime are anything to go by. I do not want to consider the horror that would come about, were any of these total morons able to gain a position of power in either business, or politics. I am sure that there are many amongst them who would, given the chance, do better. However, like I had to, it is for EACH of those people to CHOOSE to do a better job of being a human being, to step aside to allow ladies with shopping to pass them unimpeded, to treat public buildings and works with respect, to support their school by treating school property correctly, and to respect themselves well enough that they do not present themselves in such a ghastly light.

I have had enough. Well enough.

Tell your kids, get them to tell their friends... a lack of chronological progress, is no excuse for behaving like an animal, and talking as if one has grown up in a prison yard.

+1 more 
posted on Jan, 22 2015 @ 09:07 AM
link   
"I see no hope for the future of our people if they are dependent on frivolous youth of today, for certainly all youth are reckless beyond words... When I was young, we were taught to be discreet and respectful of elders, but the present youth are exceedingly wise [disrespectful] and impatient of restraint".
(Hesiod, 8th century BC)

“Our youth now love luxury. They have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for their elders and love chatter in place of exercise; they no longer rise when elders enter the room; they contradict their parents, chatter before company; gobble up their food and tyrannize their teachers.” Sometimes attributed to Socrates, sometimes to Aristotle, sometimes Plato

"I believe what really happens in history is this: the old man is always wrong; and the young people are always wrong about what is wrong with him. The practical form it takes is this: that, while the old man may stand by some stupid custom, the young man always attacks it with some theory that turns out to be equally stupid."
(G.K. Chesterton) sometime between 1920 and 1930

edit on 9Thu, 22 Jan 2015 09:15:03 -0600am12201amk224 by grandmakdw because: correction addition

posted on Jan, 22 2015 @ 09:08 AM
link   
I hear ya dude!
I coach little girls from 6 to 15 and I see behavior that would have gotten my ass kicked by my parents.
But I still blame the parents for raising wild animals for kids.

posted on Jan, 22 2015 @ 09:09 AM
link   
“Our youth now love luxury. They have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for their elders and love chatter in place of exercise; they no longer rise when elders enter the room; they contradict their parents, chatter before company; gobble up their food and tyrannize their teachers.”
-Socrates

Edit:
Darn, someone beat me to it.

Could it also be that us, or our friends, were also like this, but we were so caught up in our own little world, that we never noticed that we were misbehaving according to how we would judge kids later in life? We have memories of how we acted, but how much did our parents let us get away with as well.

edit on 22-1-2015 by superman2012 because: (no reason given)

edit on 22-1-2015 by superman2012 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 22 2015 @ 09:14 AM
link   
I would say society is to blame for these youths. Anyone born before 1965 will be able to tell you that youths of yesteryear had manners and behavior drummed into them. Kids nowadays no longer have discipline or respect.... it's not their fault though, it's society and their peers.

Uneducated peers breed really uneducated kids which in turn will breed really really uneducated kids etc etc

That said.... I was a teen in 1990s and do remember getting a buzz from mindless vandalism... the difference being I had fairly middle class parents and a bit of a conscience.

Bad society = bad parents = bad kids.
edit on 22-1-2015 by and14263 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 22 2015 @ 09:19 AM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

Consider it "job security", and parents should get off Facebook, or Twitter, or ATS for that matter, and raise your Damn children.

edit on 3309amkam4kam4 by Shakawkaw because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 22 2015 @ 09:21 AM
link   
a reply to: superman2012

I used to be like that. My ex "friends" are still like this. Thats why my 2015 resolution was to boycot all those idiots.

It's all a lack of knowledge that makes people act like retards (and thats a insult to retarded people who i think are smarter than what walks the streets these days)

Knowledge and understanding made me change my ways 180 degrees. I will never be like those brats and thugs again

posted on Jan, 22 2015 @ 09:23 AM
link   
a reply to: Annunak1

You say others have a lack of knowledge, then use "retarded" as a derogatory. You my friend are the one who lacks knowledge.

posted on Jan, 22 2015 @ 09:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: Shakawkaw
a reply to: Annunak1

You say others have a lack of knowledge, then use "retarded" as a derogatory. You my friend are the one who lacks knowledge.

Or maybe he/she is still young and using a word many young people use as they have not been taught what is right/wrong? Using a word out of habit.
EDIT: Young is the wrong word.
edit on 22-1-2015 by and14263 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 22 2015 @ 09:31 AM
link   

I wanted to reply to your post because I agree wholeheartedly with your comments... but really what else is left to say! You have accurately described the issue that is sadly invading the youth of today.

I guess I could toss in a mention of the awful way that they speak these days.

Also, I've noticed that they aren't even just rude and disrespectful to adults. They treat each other like crap! And this is among so-called friends!

It's quite sad.

And if I hear one say the pseudo word "bae" again, I just may plunge a knife into my brain.

edit on 22-1-2015 by MojaveBurning because: Disclaimer: Figuratively with the knife... not literally of course.

posted on Jan, 22 2015 @ 09:39 AM
link   
I love ya TrueBrit and know your pain well.

The parents have failed these children. They've not only failed their children, they have failed to raise adults who can function, get along, and make society a better place.

There are a myriad of reasons this has happened and I'm sure some will find them controversial. It is what it is...

It now takes both parents working (a lot of times) more than 40 hours a week to simply survive. Where is the time after that?? Parents are tired, the kids are tired, so the effort gets put off for another day. I was blessed to be able to stay at home with my daughter. We did without a hell of a lot to make that happen but so far it has paid off in spades. I'm not saying there will ever be an issue. Kids are kids after all, but it certainly helps when they have that constant correction and direction.

A lot of kids come from broken homes or homes that didn't exist (2 parent wise) in the first place. I know... Spare me the... "I can be mom and dad" shtick. There are times when that is necessary of course. The loss of a parent, domestic abuse, etc. it happens. It shouldn't happen as often as it does. Kids need structure. They need that balance. Someone can fill in, in those times but that takes effort and a lot aren't willing to put forth the effort. They don't want to feel like they need to ask for help. Maybe it's a pride thing. It shouldn't be. Hell... We all need help from time to time.

A lot of times when kids come from broken homes one or both parents feel guilty and let behavior get out of control simply because they feel the child is hurting and they don't want the child to suffer further stress. A noble cause indeed.... If it worked. What ends up happening is outside forces usually have to be brought in (truant officers, CPS, etc.) to enforce rules the parents didn't, thus creating a "you can't tell me what to do" backlash 100 times greater than it had to be originally.

And of course you simply have some parents who are too busy living their own lives to be bothered. It's far easier (I know from experience) to let a child just get by with doing things than it is to take the time to correct behaviors that are wrong, dangerous, etc. It is a million times easier to just let the kids come and go as they please than it is to ground them for mouthing off, skipping school and the like and following through with that. It doesn't take very long for kids to learn that your word means squat if you don't follow through. So they give up. That is the worst thing anyone can ever do to their child... Give up.

You chose to have them. They had no say, so for one to give up because the effort to parent correctly is harder than it looked on Family Ties should be punishable by some sort of jail time IMO.

Everybody likes to bring up that it's every generation. I disagree. I do agree that each generation changes and maybe goes a bit further out there... But the complete lack of respect, disregard for human life, the utter lack of empathy, the inability to appreciate anything is appalling lately IMO. I have a 17 year old daughter. I see it up close and personal. I hear about it from her when she comes home from school. I see it whenever I am out in public. It is worse than prior generations.... YMMV of course.

I don't know what the answer is, but to keep putting it off like it's every generation is being disingenuous and it isn't helping to stop the problem. We could start by not having children if we are the ones saying "They aren't going to change my life. I'm still going to be me and do what I want." A child should change your life. You should only have one if you are willing to change how your life works. There is no way to have a child, raise them correctly and not have one iota of change occur in your life and how you live it. Priorities should change. If they don't, or you can't, don't have children.

People need to start caring about what their children are doing. They need to care about what kind of adults they will be raising. When you raise a child like the ones you describe, you are doing them no favors. You are sending them out into the world I'll equipped to handle it and with habits that will make other despise working with and living with them. That's not a good thing.

We need to wake up and realize there is a problem here.

posted on Jan, 22 2015 @ 09:42 AM
link   
As 'Granny' demonstrated, this behavior has persisted from time immemorial. Where do those in recent time base their objectivity ? Television perhaps ? TV is pure make believe, having 'Actors" as their main resource. Barring the 'News' which really is often times nothing more than opinion, the actors portray fictional characters or events.

It's a matter of the 'Good old days' projections that many would like to embrace. Sensory overload....... do you suppose our youth might suffer from it ? Mechanical, electronic and social aspects weigh heavily on our youth, which causes an ever evolving pattern of behavior to meet the demands of technology and society.

What have we given our children as an inheritance ? I'm not talking money, rather I'm talking in terms of a 'future'. How do we behave ourselves ? As we scratch and claw our way through life, we are observed and copied by our children....

Again, as Granny demonstrated, history reveals that there is nothing new under the sun. Take care how YOU behave, there are children watching.... emulating their parents ultimately.

posted on Jan, 22 2015 @ 09:44 AM
link   
Politeness and respect of the rights of others seems to be a negative trait in many parts of society. The young are being taught that they are entitled, that they can do what they want without respect of others. Insurance policies contribute to this mindset, these people feel that they are not hurting the people, these people will get reimbursed. But they make others fear, we should not have to fear living.

Lawyers plea bargain these youth out of deserved punishment. These kids need to learn that they will pay for their actions even when they are young, that way they will not be a burden on society later. I think we have gone in the wrong direction trying to be humane, some of these kids should have had spankings when they did things wrong.

posted on Jan, 22 2015 @ 09:58 AM
link   

It's all good. They're tired of old people with nothing better to criticize.

posted on Jan, 22 2015 @ 10:40 AM
link   
a reply to: superman2012

I have to say, I never walked down the road swearing my head off when I was a schoolboy, I used to help elderly people cross the road, and always made way for persons more weighed down by the burdens of their chores for the day, when out and about. If a mother failed to notice a blanket or pacifier exit her childs pushchair, I would retrieve it and pass it to her.

a reply to: LesMisanthrope

So what you are saying is, that the best way to ensure today's children grow up with a sense of respect for the world around them, and the people who live and work in it, is to fail entirely to mention any of the things that they do, which give one no confidence of any kind, in their ability to function as adults when the time comes for them to be capable of doing so?

I call fantastic, stellar levels of absolute poppycock. When I was a child, if I had done something wrong, I expected to be told all about it, to have to be sat down and chastised AT GREAT LENGTH and often great volume also, about what I had done, why it was wrong, and what the consequences would be if it ever happened again. I was, and am, in no way perfect, but the fact of the matter is that when I was a lad, kids who swore at all and sundry and made an offence of themselves in public were much fewer and further between, than they are at the moment.

posted on Jan, 22 2015 @ 10:45 AM
link   
Know what OP I'm 25, I consider myself an adult but many times I'll still call myself a kid. The young usually think they know everything, and my generation is even worse about it. Plus they either get silent or act like total jerks if you prove them wrong, if they don't get their way, not enough Likes or shares on facebook, etc.

Brats brats brats. But hey, they dug themselves into a big hole, being distracted by petty nonsense, repetitive media garbage and an education system that leaves a bad taste in one's mouth.

I'm young and I see absolutely no hope for the meme generation. All awake and still slaves to the system, rattle your chains, that's pretty much all you can do.

posted on Jan, 22 2015 @ 11:16 AM
link   

So what you are saying is, that the best way to ensure today's children grow up with a sense of respect for the world around them, and the people who live and work in it, is to fail entirely to mention any of the things that they do, which give one no confidence of any kind, in their ability to function as adults when the time comes for them to be capable of doing so?

I call fantastic, stellar levels of absolute poppycock. When I was a child, if I had done something wrong, I expected to be told all about it, to have to be sat down and chastised AT GREAT LENGTH and often great volume also, about what I had done, why it was wrong, and what the consequences would be if it ever happened again. I was, and am, in no way perfect, but the fact of the matter is that when I was a lad, kids who swore at all and sundry and made an offence of themselves in public were much fewer and further between, than they are at the moment.

Well I said what I said. Just a friendly dig in the ribs. But I will also say that your indignation is still a sign of youth.

Thanks for the life story.

posted on Jan, 22 2015 @ 11:32 AM
link   

How old are you? Because honestly I see a petulant child manning a keyboard, which is 90% of the internet.

posted on Jan, 22 2015 @ 11:48 AM
link   
a reply to: Yeahkeepwatchingme

How old are you? Because honestly I see a petulant child manning a keyboard, which is 90% of the internet.

Oh you can see through computer screens? Bravo. Oh wait...no...you cannot. I suppose you're projecting.

posted on Jan, 22 2015 @ 12:20 PM
link   

Ah yes, internet attitude. Digital compensation. Got ya

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join