It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Huge Fire at Apartment Complex in Edgewater, NJ

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 21 2015 @ 05:59 PM
link   
There's a huge blaze that looks out of control at a large apartment complex in Edgewater, NY right now. Residents in the complex, and from nearby buildings, have been evacuated to a local school.

Massive fire burning at Edgewater apartment complex

Firefighters were battling a massive blaze at an apartment complex on Russell Avenue late Wednesday afternoon, authorities said.

The flames were reported around 4:30 p.m. at the Avalon Edgewater complex on Russell Avenue, according to police. Mutual aid fire crews were also called to assist.

Live video
edit on 21-1-2015 by SkepticOverlord because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 21 2015 @ 06:01 PM
link   
a reply to: SkepticOverlord

Those are some very expensive units located right on the Hudson River waterfront. The entire area is very dense with residential housing in what was one time heavily industrialized.

posted on Jan, 21 2015 @ 06:05 PM
link   

Wow, that is quite a fire!

Makes me nervous when I see apt buildings go up like this.
*watches live stream*

s&f

posted on Jan, 21 2015 @ 06:08 PM
link   
Have the authorities ruled out terrorism?

Massive fire on the live feed.

posted on Jan, 21 2015 @ 06:14 PM
link   
I am always amazed how fast apartment buildings like this one go from a small kitchen fire (a generalization) to a total engulfed building.
Its a sad situation all I can do is wish everyone the best.

posted on Jan, 21 2015 @ 06:17 PM
link   
a reply to: hillbilly4rent

I am a caretaker of a large apartment complex,
and when I see stuff like this,
it scares me.

Here, the fire dept is also worried about our complex because the older they get, the quicker they go up.
I have had many conversations with the fire chief over the course of the last few years.

I really hope everyone got out safe, and that it does not spread, because as it looks now, it is totally out of control.

posted on Jan, 21 2015 @ 06:30 PM
link   
The live feed went out.

Hoping it was just the copter refueling.
edit on 21-1-2015 by Darkblade71 because: live feed, not love feed...lol

posted on Jan, 21 2015 @ 06:32 PM
link   
What happened to the live feed? That is one huge huge fire, I hope nobody is trapped in that inferno.

posted on Jan, 21 2015 @ 06:35 PM
link   
I caught a few screen shots shortly before the feed went out.

edit on 21-1-2015 by Darkblade71 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 21 2015 @ 06:39 PM
link   
That is one bad fire.

Probably a gas explosion. Cough.

The AP reported that everyone in the building made it out, but it is unclear if anyone has been hurt in the hours that the fire has been burning.

The fire is so big that the New York City Office of Emergency Management issued an alert that residents of Manhattan and the Bronx may see and smell smoke. [Source]

This would be good news, at least, that everyone made it out.

posted on Jan, 21 2015 @ 07:00 PM
link   
Wow, that's a biggie! O.O I feel really bad for the residents who may have lost everything

If it's not faulty wiring (which does happen, especially if someone's cutting corners to cut costs in building) then my bets are on either a kitchen fire out of control, or possibly an resident overloading an outlet with too many plug adapters. A smoker falling asleep with a lit one indoors isn't out of the question, either. We'll have to wait & see what their investigation finds.

posted on Jan, 21 2015 @ 07:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

Those are some very expensive units located right on the Hudson River waterfront. The entire area is very dense with residential housing in what was one time heavily industrialized.

"On the Hudson River" is key. Jumping Jack Flash Hypothesis

He tracks these fires and explosions and how they are increasing in frequency, especially along the coasts, lakes and rivers...because of hydrogen sulfide gases.

posted on Jan, 21 2015 @ 09:07 PM
link   
FYI, this fire is still burning out of control - just spread to a new section of the building. Fire dept. blaming "cheap materials" used in construction for spread of fire, but cause is unknown.

Same building burned down while under construction in 2000.

Editor's note: According to @NBCNewYork, the apartment complex that is currently on fire in Edgewater, NJ, previously burned down while being constructed in 2000. - Jillian

edit on 21-1-2015 by Maluhia because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 22 2015 @ 02:50 AM
link   
Live feed not working.

Wonder what the cause is. That's the thing that scares me about living in apartments or condos, one resident has a fire and the rest do as well. Or it's faulty wiring, cheap construction. or all this cheap electrical crap sold at cheap stores that probably came from China.

Is it cold there? Somone running a space heater, electric blanket. Plugging those into the sameoutlets as an appliance can cause fires. Well it's 1 celsius there, cold enough for people to be using these things.

Hope everyone got out in time, very sad they lose their homes and all their belongings.

posted on Jan, 22 2015 @ 03:06 AM
link   
Local state of emergency declared in Edgewater, NJ

posted on Jan, 22 2015 @ 03:08 AM
link   

Wow that's a huge fire!
edit on 22-1-2015 by violet because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 22 2015 @ 03:07 PM
link   

An inferno that ripped through a luxury apartment complex in New Jersey, destroying part of the 408-unit complex, displacing hundreds of residents and forcing officials to declare a local state of emergency has been contained after more than 15 hours, authorities said Thursday.

A lot more information and pictures on this link here:
www.nbcnewyork.com...

It is amazing that no one was killed!
Even with all of the people losing their homes,
they are lucky!

Some of the pictures are incredible!

top topics

join