It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATS, I need a little guidance.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 21 2015 @ 04:23 PM
link   
Yo!

So here's the thing. I could write about a 1,500 word piece on this detailing my history and goals, but I'll cut to the chase. As far as a resume builder with hopes of someday becoming an upper level executive at the company I work for now, which do I go for? An associates in finance or straight to the certified financial planner? I've got a bachelors, a masters in my field, and next year, my company will pay for an mba.

I think while typing that out the obvious answer stuck out to me - just go for the CFP, the MBA will cover the finance degree. Am I right or wrong?

posted on Jan, 21 2015 @ 04:43 PM
link   
The answer you're looking for is yes or no, but I'm not going to give that to you. One thing I have learned is listen to nobody but yourself. Look at your achievements. The things you have learned. I can tell you are a bit apprehensive on the path you should take, but honestly both paths are right. You can't go wrong with either. Just realize that every decision you make has a consequence whether good or bad. I think you know your answer. Think to yourself which path will take you farther towards your goal? I don't know your life, how you live, what you do, what you've done. In my opinion stick to what you know and trust in your self.

posted on Jan, 21 2015 @ 05:17 PM
link   
a reply to: Schmidt1989

I would save your money and go for networking instead. You don't have to finance that, just cultivate friendships. That is how I moved ahead. Lots of college, but no degree, but with lots of personal first hand knowledge.

That's where it is at!

Retired at 48.
edit on 21-1-2015 by TDawgRex because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 21 2015 @ 05:21 PM
link   
MBA

posted on Jan, 21 2015 @ 05:30 PM
link   
a reply to: Schmidt1989

Being int he world of finance, you should find it fairly quick work to determine what your ROI will be on the cash and time invested in the piece of paper you are trying to earn. Whichever one gives you the highest prospective ROI throughout the remainder of your projected lifetime....that's your answer.

posted on Jan, 21 2015 @ 06:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: Schmidt1989
Yo!

Yo!

I've got a bachelors, a masters in my field, and next year, my company will pay for an mba.

Not sure what your field is but you've obviously got years of education at it! If your company is paying for you to get an MBA then they obviously see you as highly qualified in your field, but possibly lacking general business experience. It is a huge investment in an employee, so be complemented by it. An MBA is a normal step before upper level management is offered people.

I think while typing that out the obvious answer stuck out to me - just go for the CFP, the MBA will cover the finance degree. Am I right or wrong?

To be honest all three are a fair bit different. The financial planner is more personal finance oriented while the finance degree is more corporate oriented. The MBA is more practical business management theory.

Without knowing your field and your companies activities little can be offered in the way of advice for what you should do. I would suggest, however, that talking to some of the top level players in your company would be of benefit. Asking them how their career advanced and what some of the best steps they took were could give you insight into your best move.

new topics

top topics

join