It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My Gratitude to Paramedics

page: 1

join
share:
+2 more 
posted on Jan, 21 2015 @ 04:11 PM
link   
This thread is something I have been thinking about for a while now, so here it is.

Some might know how it feels to be an onlooker when a sibling, or stranger, is being attended to by Paramedics. If you have been one of these onlookers, then you might know the feeling of almost hopelessness and terror, but also the feeling of hope that the Paramedics can help, or even save the life of the victim.

Standing there, red lights flashing in our eyes, not knowing what to do, being filled with fear for the worst, and placing all you trust into those brave men and women. Or even if you were the victim of an accident or injury, you might have had this exact feeling rushing through your mind.

But I know that there is another side to this story. I have been both the onlooker the Paramedics scrambling to save a life, I have been the person whose life was being saved, and also I have been the Paramedic saving a life.

I became a Paramedic when still in school as part of program a teacher had put in place to make sure there is always someone on the school grounds with medic training if it was needed. I did my training and started working for Emergency Response Units in my area during weekends. I felt obligated in a way because I would have been dead if not for the Paramedics that arrived on scene less than 5 minutes after the car accident. 5 minutes later and I would have been dead due to the massive skull fracture I had sustained. So I know what Paramedics go through.

There are a few things that should be said about Paramedics. They work long hours during their training days. The amount of stress is unbelievable. Each day they start a 72 hour shift, they don’t know what will happen during those 72 hours. For some of them, they start their shift in fear and stress, knowing that if they make even one little mistake it could cause lasting damage of even death to other people. Even when they are back at base for an hour or so, some of them cannot get themselves to sleep. They are constantly wondering what could have gone wrong in the previous hours, and what can go wrong in the next hours.

Some of them will go home after their shifts not getting any rest because they are constantly thinking about the patients they have attended to. Most of them do really care about their patients! Some of them are just frustrated because of relatives of the injured party getting in their way, trying to help, but in fact just causing a greater stress in the Paramedics, which in turn makes the room for error even greater.

I believe that so many people take the work of these individuals for granted; never even following up with them, just to let them know what happened afterwards. I have been the one forgetting out the Paramedic 10 minutes after they have left, and also the one forgotten.
What I am trying to say is this. We should have greater respect for these people! These people do not always get the acknowledgement that they deserve. We should remember that some of these people are feeling used, only being called upon when they are needed, but after that, being forgotten.

For every Paramedic out there, THANK YOU FOR WHAT YOU DO! You have my Gratitude!!

posted on Jan, 21 2015 @ 04:36 PM
link   
S & F. I am so PROUD that my daughter is an EMT and also a 911 dispatcher. Stress, long hours, (although not 72 hr shifts) and hard on family life. They take their jobs very seriously, are professional and save a lot of lives.

posted on Jan, 21 2015 @ 04:38 PM
link   
Thank you!
FF2/Paramedic
PHRN....
retired now.

posted on Jan, 21 2015 @ 04:39 PM
link   
I cannot tell you how many times through the years that I have been grateful for these people. Between my Mom, my Dad when he was alive, my husband and neighbors...it's been plenty!!!! Kudos to these wonderful people!

posted on Jan, 21 2015 @ 05:00 PM
link   
I was an EMT many years ago, loved it, took to it like a duck to water, I felt it was my life's calling. I loved what I did and looked forward to each shift, knowing I made a difference in someone's life. I even had a patient think I was her angel taking her to Heaven. You never forget things like that.
This was all taken away from me, because some money hungry person decided they could get a quick buck from the hospital I worked in, and used me as the excuse to do just that.

I have not been the same since.
edit on 1/21/2015 by HomerinNC because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 21 2015 @ 05:03 PM
link   
a reply to: HomerinNC

Sorry you got hung.
But your time made the difference in many lives.

Oh wait.. you served didn't you?
I took a lot of smells that came with the job...
You were willing to take a bullet.
I'd give you another star. But I can't.

edit on 21-1-2015 by Bigburgh because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 21 2015 @ 05:09 PM
link   
a reply to: AreUKiddingMe

They are very good people (Most of them).

Tell her to keep up the good work!!!

a reply to: Bigburgh

Thank you for all the years you worked in the field!!!

a reply to: Night Star

Kudos indeed!!

a reply to: HomerinNC

You should hang on to those memories!! I have some amazing memories of my time being a Medic as well, and they have helped me a lot in hard times!! Maybe you understand what I mean.

posted on Jan, 21 2015 @ 05:27 PM
link   
a reply to: IndependentOpinion

I will never forget that comment. I found out later she passed away peacefully that night, but that comment will stay with me til the day I pass on.

posted on Jan, 21 2015 @ 05:34 PM
link   

And at all levels.. at some point. You earn a stork pin.( delivered a baby )
I loved it! Got me six of them..

Let me stroll down memory lane. My first baby.
I was 18. I was working at washoe medical center in Reno nv.
3 am. Woman walks into triage... she's in labor. QUICK GET HER IN THE WHEELCHAIR AND GET HER TO L&D....
Problem. While dashing to the elevator.. her water broke..she's swearing like a trucker! I'm fearing for my life.

Elevator doors open. We're in! Only need to go one floor! Power goes out! Elevator is stuck! Only light source is a dimly lit red back up! She's now enraged with pain and since I'm a man. Who better to place blame. She now has grabbed my love handles.. then there was not much.. at that moment... I literally felt her pain... now I'm swearing like a trucker in my head!
This baby is coming! We're stuck. I had no choice. NO! Gloves!
Abby was born 3 mins later. And I needed a change in scrubs after a 30 minute shower. I will never! Forget that!

Granted, I had to undergo lots of shots/pills do to exposure of bodily fluids.
It was worth it

posted on Jan, 21 2015 @ 05:47 PM
link   
a reply to: Bigburgh

Besides my first head injury in treated (also my first day as a medic), I will always remember the day I was on holiday, and I got to the trampoline to find a mass of people, and a person laying on the trampoline. He was jumping while wet, slipped and fell on his neck. He was paralyzed from the neck down. I was the only one that was light enough to get on the trampoline without causing too much movement. I had to sit there with in in the, what we called it, C-Spine Position (you know, when keeping the spine completely still after a spinal injury), on the trampoline, in the midday sun. I could not move in fear of causing any more damage to the spine.

After 15 minutes my legs began to cramp. I tried not to move at all. After 45 minutes waiting for the EMTs to arrive, I was so focused on the patient and blocking out my own pain and discomfort, I do not even remember how he was placed on the Spinal Board, or how the EMT took over from me. The only thing I remember after that was giving my number to the friend of the injured, to call me and keep me updated.

The very sad thing is that I never got a call.....

I still wonder what happened to him...

posted on Jan, 21 2015 @ 06:17 PM
link   

Amazing what we do to ourselves. To better the PT's well being. ( next time support the pt from under the trampoline with wood or what ever keeps it from dipping ). Then absolutely C-spine precautions.

I'd still be working now if I took the measures..( 7 back surgeries do to occupation)..
lots of scars and metal baby! I was dumb.

I have been known to do CPR.. ( chest compression part ) for 45 mins or more.. perfect depth and compression rate. I wouldn't quit.

Let's back up.
I said the deadly phrase. Don't fret miss your dad will pull through. Same year. Never say that.
This guy was fighting. Then he abruptly said.. this is it. ( in my mind I was saying... your 49! And I promised your baby girl you will see through this.)..

He was pronounced. It was the first time I couldn't look into someones eyes..( the daughter ).
It was a life lesson.. don't make promises. ( it cost me 2 weeks of grief and pay )

We as EMS, will go through great length to better the code of "Random act of Kindness" even if it sticks us in the butt.
Still worth it.

At 40.. looking back. I still would not change a beat.

Lives changed for the better..

Also Abby sends me Emails.. and she is what I consider. My daughter...try me bro's!

She's 23.. considering marriage .... I'm being pleasantly prickish with Dan..
Hey she's my first baby!

posted on Jan, 21 2015 @ 06:37 PM
link   

I threw in the towel about 7 years ago. I did the best I could, but it bothered me to a point where I just knew I needed to move on. You nailed the main experience of the daily, "routine" stress of a paramedic.

Thank you!

edit on stppmWed, 21 Jan 2015 18:38:12 -0600k1501America/Chicago2138 by Sparkymedic because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 21 2015 @ 06:47 PM
link   
a reply to: Sparkymedic

Lol.. thought you'd pop in..
I give you a star.
You also get my respect and a sincere smile!

posted on Jan, 22 2015 @ 02:04 AM
link   
As the daughter of a medic for going on 20 years, an aspiring EMT, and the daughter of an ambulance service dispatcher, you're welcome! These guys do so much, and I've been an hour from death in the back of an ambulance as well. I owe my dad's former co-worker my life

posted on Jan, 22 2015 @ 02:05 AM
link   
a reply to: Sparkymedic

I left 5 years ago. I just could not live with that tremendous amount of stress everyday on the job. This was just before I was asked to be a Paramedic at the 2010 FIFA world cup.

posted on Jan, 22 2015 @ 01:12 PM
link   
a reply to: Billie828

Paramedics are people that should get more recognition that they get! They need to receive more honor for their day to day work.

posted on Jan, 23 2015 @ 04:04 PM
link   

I have been a firefighter for over two decades. I went back to school and obtained my paramedic license in 2006.
Where I worked has a lower call volume. In the course of working as a paramedic I have directly saved a few lives & been the link in the chain several times, that aspect of the job is very cool.

Currently I work at a camp where I supervise an inmate fire crew...rather different.

Sometimes I will wake up in the middle of the night, wide awake for no apparent reason, thought it was just age (I am sure that does not help) but my PMD says it shift work insomnia; after getting woke up at odd hours for years sometimes you just wake up for no reason.

My agency does the 72 hour shift sometimes it can be tough.

Thank you for your appreciation.

posted on Jan, 24 2015 @ 07:22 AM
link   
a reply to: LafingWithTears

My pleasure! And thank you for sacrificing so much for other people!!!!

top topics

join