It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

More 7 Days To Die and What I Like About It

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 21 2015 @ 03:18 PM
link   
It's a fact. I've become addicted to this game.

No main quest. No story line. Just me against nature....and zombies trying to eat my brains.

There are so many ways to play this game I don't think I'll ever exhaust my options of things I can do. You can stick to the familiar Navezgane map, or switch to a random map, the difference being that the random map has no borders and goes on forever, with all sorts of biomes.

I can be a sort of Mad Max scavanger, never settling down, or I can find some place to call home.....and defend it against the zombie hordes.

I can decide to keep it as peaceful as possible, or decide I'm the Omega Man and see how long I can survive in a nuclear blasted city.

You can freeze your rear end off in the snowy hills, or slowly cook yourself in the desert. Wander a burned out forest, or map out one that's not burned out.

I have a good friend of mine that goes hunting all the time and told him about the game. He got it just so he can go hunt the deer, rabbits and wild pigs (having to fight off the zombies was just a bonus for him).

Cooking? You can boil your meat, grill your meat. Make bacon and eggs. Make corn bread, corn on the cob. Rabbit stew, or blueberry muffins.

You can even make coffee in the game!

Here's another video I did, showing off my fortress, and taking you out to some of the other biomes. Watch towards the end, I screw up and get myself killed!

posted on Jan, 21 2015 @ 03:30 PM
link   
a reply to: eriktheawful

Crafting makes a world of difference with a game playing experience, doesn't it ?!

It's a great way to break up the monotony of shoot-kill-shoot-kill... not to mention the neverending variations of things to do.

I will definitely be checking out this game at some point.

Keep those "Let's Play" reviews coming !

posted on Jan, 21 2015 @ 03:37 PM
link   

Glad you posted this!

I meant to send you a U2U letting you know it came on sale on Steam and I bought it! The only problem? Since I bought it, I just haven't been able to sit down and play it for more that five ten minutes at a time.

Nothing against the game, just my inability to concentrate enough to actually give the game a chance!

I do enjoy watching you play it though!

Your "Fortress" is AWESOME BTW!

edit on 21-1-2015 by seeker1963 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 21 2015 @ 04:52 PM
link   
Remember, this is still an Alpha build, so over time this game can be so much better. The navezgane map was fun but you learned where everything was. When I play PVP I appreciate the random world gen in the fact that players have to actually find good places to raid. There is always a city at 0,0 but everything on the outskirts is randomized. The thing I dislike is how hard it is to find a decent PVP server to join. Some servers have games surpassing 100 in game days. This means things are looted, destroyed, buildings left all over the place. All in all it's very fun. Rust is also a current favorite of mine.

posted on Jan, 21 2015 @ 05:01 PM
link   

Guess you had better luck running the game than I did. I tried playing it a few months ago and just about everytime it got interesting the game crashed. It's definitely got potential but I'm going to wait for a stable release.

In the meantime I've been keeping myself busy with "Project Zomboid". It's a 2D game but it's probably the best Zombie Survival game out there IMHO.

posted on Jan, 21 2015 @ 05:13 PM
link   
I was wondering what my friend Zombie was playing when I wasn't playing Space Engineers with him.

Thanks for posting this. I like your spike pit idea

posted on Jan, 21 2015 @ 05:50 PM
link   
Eh I've been busy playing Adventurer Manager lately. I'm on my third restart because every time I get into it ... I discover more stuff I missed the previous time that I should have been "managing." Plus my 4-year-old is addicted to the old style Nintendo RPG side-scroller graphics. He's going to be bummed that I'm not using his Dark Elf Paladin that he named Shep when he gets home.

I'm not much into PvP style survival games. It's too easy to run into jerks who enjoy making my life hell when all I'd like to do is sit down and build something.

posted on Jan, 21 2015 @ 06:03 PM
link   
a reply to: TheMainEvent

I seem to remember reading about crash problem with an early version. They've updated it to 10.4 this past December I think.

I don't like to PVP myself that much. I do like to Co-Op with my son though.

Even my wife is thinking about getting it to play with us, heh.

posted on Jan, 21 2015 @ 06:18 PM
link   
BTW - thanks for all the encouragement everyone.

I'm very small potatoes compared to many YouTubers out there, and I certainly do not make any money off my channel.

It's mostly for fun that I do it and to just give a few a laugh here and there.

posted on Jan, 21 2015 @ 06:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: eriktheawful
BTW - thanks for all the encouragement everyone.

I'm very small potatoes compared to many YouTubers out there, and I certainly do not make any money off my channel.

It's mostly for fun that I do it and to just give a few a laugh here and there.

No problem eriktheawful, I enjoy your youtube videos you post on here.

I'm currently in the process of making my own video in Space Engineers... it will be my first real video with any substance in it. I'm having anxiety fits though (Yes, even over something as silly as a video... that I can edit.
)

I just don't think I'm cut out for speaking in any kind of "public" situation.

edit on 21-1-2015 by Aldakoopa because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 21 2015 @ 07:34 PM
link   

This looks like a modded minecraft thanks

posted on Jan, 21 2015 @ 07:43 PM
link   
a reply to: Aldakoopa

There are a multitude of people out there that post on YouTube and other video hosting sites. People from all sorts of walks of life, shape, size, age, you name it.

Put your video up once you're done, and U2U me the link. I will watch it, subscribe to you, and share it with my friends to watch also (My son Zack plays that game).

If you do it often enough, you don't even think about being anxious anymore.

posted on Jan, 21 2015 @ 10:35 PM
link   

No problems with that. A hobby is what you love to do. I'd rather make something like that my hobby than my job because then you'd feel the pressure to have to play the games and play all the different games too. This way you only play what you want and make videos about what you want.

posted on Jan, 22 2015 @ 10:03 AM
link   
Just a word to the wise out there on the performance of the game:

The more memory you have on your main board, the better. Minimum required is 4 GB. That's what I had and there was still some chop in the game.

I've upgraded to 8 GB, and the game runs very smoothly now.

If you plan on running a dedicated server or hosting a LAN game on the same computer you are playing on, that 8 GB is a MUST, else your game will run so laggy it will not be funny.

Also: Linux.

7 Days To Die has been converted by Steam to run on Linux, so if you're running say Linux Mint or Ubuntu and have installed SteamOS / Linux, you can get the game to run on it.

However, the game runs like crap. Extremely slow. They just converted it not too long ago, and they do updates so that may change.

I can tell you that I've downloaded their converted version of Portal 2, Half-Life 2 and they run like grease lightning on my Linux Mint (Valve games seem to do very well with Linux).

They've also converted Bioshock: Infinite, but I've yet to download it and give it a try (it's a 15 GB download, blah, takes me about 11 hours to do that). I'm hoping it runs well too.

posted on Jan, 22 2015 @ 12:31 PM
link   

4GB has pretty well become obsolete for any serious gaming... Especially with these unoptimized alpha games on early access. I found a station in space engineers once and as soon as I claimed ownership of everything, it ate up about 7.5 GB of RAM and my game was suddenly slow. I saved and reloaded and it went to a more acceptable amount, but still hovered around 5 GB. I always find it amazing how much our computers are actually doing in there.

posted on Jan, 22 2015 @ 04:00 PM
link   
I'll be streaming it tonight if you want to watch:
www.twitch.tv...
7:00 PM CST

posted on Jan, 22 2015 @ 06:38 PM
link   

Well thanks for letting me know. I plan on updating the game when I get home from work and giving it another go. I enjoy these "Rogue-esque" style of games.

Gonna watch out for those dogs this time. lol

new topics

top topics

join