It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Atomic scientists set to make 'major announcement' about Doomsday Clock.

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 21 2015 @ 02:07 PM
link   
www.dailymail.co.uk...< br />

Symbolic clock was established by Manhattan Project scientists in 1947 It's designed to show how close civilisation is to facing global catastrophe Scientists track threats by monitoring nuclear weapons and climate change The Bulletin of the Atomic Scientists (BAS) will host a live international news conference to make a 'major announcement' on Thursday Expected to reveal the board's decision regarding the clock's minute hand Last time, Doomsday Clock minute hand moved was in January 2012, when it was pushed ahead one minute from six to five minutes before midnight

The ww3 forum seemed the most relevant place to post this.

Will it be 4 minutes or 3 minutes?

I am guessing the icy relations with Russia will have something to do with the change.
edit on 21-1-2015 by joho99 because: (no reason given)

+8 more 
posted on Jan, 21 2015 @ 02:13 PM
link   
a reply to: joho99

Personally, I think the clock is silly.
Everything could be 'peachy keen' between the nuclear armed countries of the world, and one stupid mistake or one silly terrorist that no one had a clue about could start the whole doomsday ball a rolling.

+17 more 
posted on Jan, 21 2015 @ 02:15 PM
link   

Hell, move it to midnight for all I care. It's just a symbolic gesture that means nothing in the real world.

+1 more 
posted on Jan, 21 2015 @ 02:17 PM
link   
Yeah the clock is just guess work.

I wonder if it runs on batteries?
Maybe that's the announcement "oops...We forgot to use Duracell."

Peace

posted on Jan, 21 2015 @ 02:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: butcherguy

Personally, I think the clock is silly.
Everything could be 'peachy keen' between the nuclear armed countries of the world, and one stupid mistake or one silly terrorist that no one had a clue about could start the whole doomsday ball a rolling.

The nuclear weapon armed countries of the world are the true terrorist states, with their weapons of mass and indiscriminate destruction. There is no moral high ground.

posted on Jan, 21 2015 @ 02:50 PM
link   

Back when geocities was running I had a page that I made to keep tabs on the doomsday clock, even made my own digital clock to mirror theirs.

In light of everything that is going on, I would assume they will move it to 4 minutes, possibly three minutes to midnight.
I know they now figure in climate change, or at least they did before, so I would think it would move one minute or two minutes closer.

I went and found the link to the history of time changes on the clock.
You can see the entire history, and why they moved it when they did here:
Doomsday Clock History
Cool, I found my little digital graphic for it...lol

It is even the right time!

LOL!

I also found the video of the clock changing and at the end it says it will change again tomorrow at the end (Jan 22nd)

edit on 21-1-2015 by Darkblade71 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 21 2015 @ 02:58 PM
link   
The closest to midnight the clock has ever been so far was in 1953. It was set to 2 minutes till. That was the year that both the US and the USSR tested thermolnuclear devices successfully within 9 months of each other.

1991 is the the the largest time the clock was set till midnight at 17 minutes. That was the year that the USSR ceased to exist.

posted on Jan, 21 2015 @ 03:00 PM
link   

My moneys on these guys

Suspect 1.

Suspect 2.

Hope am wrong!!

+10 more 
posted on Jan, 21 2015 @ 03:03 PM
link   
Even a broken doomsday clock is right twice an epoch.

posted on Jan, 21 2015 @ 03:04 PM
link   
a reply to: RayVon

My money is on this dapper fellow

posted on Jan, 21 2015 @ 03:04 PM
link   
a reply to: Aleister

Hahaha.

I'm going with one minute to kaboom.

posted on Jan, 21 2015 @ 03:08 PM
link   
a reply to: ScientificRailgun

lol

dapper fellow

posted on Jan, 21 2015 @ 03:11 PM
link   
I feel like the Atomic Scientists in charge must be/or must be influenced by those who are biased towards Russians then. Seems a bit unfair if you ask me a reply to: eriktheawful

posted on Jan, 21 2015 @ 03:12 PM
link   

edit on 21-1-2015 by Soloprotocol because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 21 2015 @ 03:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: FamCore
I feel like the Atomic Scientists in charge must be/or must be influenced by those who are biased towards Russians then. Seems a bit unfair if you ask me a reply to: eriktheawful

Don't you mean against?

If the USSR dissolving moved the clock back, that would be an anti Russia/USSR stance.

posted on Jan, 21 2015 @ 04:40 PM
link   
I bet its On the 12
KaBoom!

posted on Jan, 21 2015 @ 07:04 PM
link   
A bunch of nonsense. It's just like the debt clock, based on nothing but reckless speculation in order to keep the herds in a state of worry and fear concerning the future. ~$heopleNation

posted on Jan, 21 2015 @ 07:48 PM
link   
What exactly is this? I don't know, I'm 14 and I want to know. If someone were to explain to me, that'd be great.

posted on Jan, 21 2015 @ 07:58 PM
link   
So this is like the fear clock? For nukes !?

That clock is going to fit right in.

Welcome to the party dooms day clock!

posted on Jan, 21 2015 @ 08:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: DawgDawg
What exactly is this? I don't know, I'm 14 and I want to know. If someone were to explain to me, that'd be great.

WIKI. YA HEARD?

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join