It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The choice, stay true or follow the money

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 21 2015 @ 08:55 AM
link   
Ok people I'm currently at a point in my life where I can make the choice to take it in two directions.

Direction one I have the opportunity to do what I love doing and make a lovable income. Nothing spectacular but most Americans would be happy making what I'll be making. It's actually not a bad gig. I'll be teaching boxing with some really good camps. I love the sport and I love teaching it.

Direction two, I have another opportunity that is far far more lucrative and will bring in the kind of money dream of in 10 or so years. It's a solid investment I've been working on.

Now the point here is do I stay true to my beliefs and pursue my passion or do I go in on the second option and just go balls out making a ton of money.

I want to keep this discussion on a more philosophical plane so please refrain from digging into my personal life.

This is a real situation.

posted on Jan, 21 2015 @ 09:03 AM
link   
Whatever you do today, you will have to sleep with tonight.

I try to live by that. Money isn't everything and everyone has heard the phrase "If you have a job doing what you love, you'll never have to work a day in your life".... That's a saying for a reason.

If you can make it off either income, do what your heart tells you to. Money can buy a lot of things, but it can't buy genuine happiness. It's cliche. But it's the truth.

How many people can lay down at night with a feeling of peace and genuine contentment because they are "living the dream?". Be one of those people if it's within your grasp.

posted on Jan, 21 2015 @ 09:08 AM
link   
depending how old you are why not do both ,personally i would make the money and teach on a weekend if it means that much to you but then i am broke and greedy.
what exactly is it that teaching boxing does for you can you confidently say it will not lose its sheen in the future its a question only you can answer imo good luck

posted on Jan, 21 2015 @ 09:09 AM
link   
Most will say stay with your passion...

I would say go for the ton of money in ten years and then retire and REALLY enjoy your passion...

Depends how old you are.

posted on Jan, 21 2015 @ 09:09 AM
link   
I had a similar decision to make in recent years...

In the end, I wound up making the decision that resulted in a better financial situation but not doing that which I am most passionate about. Nonetheless, it is three years later and now that I have settled into a new role I have found ways to do what I'm most passionate about as well, and with more money so it worked out really well in the end. Just had to bite the bullet at first

Maybe that helps, I would hope at least. A 1st-hand experience.

a reply to: onequestion

posted on Jan, 21 2015 @ 09:21 AM
link   
I have never regretted following my passion and picking up extra gigs on the side to supplement my income.

Eventually a side gig became a new passion and I dropped the old one to concentrate on the new one.

Be flexible, there are no rules, don't be afraid to fail, network but be wary of the BS artist's, and when your ship comes in; don't be down at the bus station.

and the old adage "it's not what you know, but who you know that counts" ...... it's true!

edit on 21-1-2015 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 21 2015 @ 09:35 AM
link   
Stay true to your beliefs .. theyre worth far more than colored pieces of paper and shiny pieces of metal .. being able to look yourself in the mirror with a clear conscious is priceless .. dont sell out for mere money ..

posted on Jan, 21 2015 @ 09:38 AM
link   
a reply to: onequestion

I don't understand the dilemma. Money or happiness, right?

posted on Jan, 21 2015 @ 09:40 AM
link   
Make less money and be happier or make more money and be less happy? What benefits you the most? Money or happiness?

I'd personally stick with what I love to do, then again I don't put very much value into money so take it with a grain of salt.

edit on 1/21/2015 by 3NL1GHT3N3D1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 21 2015 @ 09:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: onequestion
Ok people I'm currently at a point in my life where I can make the choice to take it in two directions.

Direction one I have the opportunity to do what I love doing and make a lovable income. Nothing spectacular but most Americans would be happy making what I'll be making. It's actually not a bad gig. I'll be teaching boxing with some really good camps. I love the sport and I love teaching it.

Direction two, I have another opportunity that is far far more lucrative and will bring in the kind of money dream of in 10 or so years. It's a solid investment I've been working on.

Now the point here is do I stay true to my beliefs and pursue my passion or do I go in on the second option and just go balls out making a ton of money.

I want to keep this discussion on a more philosophical plane so please refrain from digging into my personal life.

This is a real situation.

What specific beliefs are you talking about that you must "stray true" to?

Beliefs aren't real. They're just thoughts in your head.

Just because you thought them doesn't mean they're of any value.

posted on Jan, 21 2015 @ 09:45 AM
link   
a reply to: Jamie1

Makes perfect sense.

posted on Jan, 21 2015 @ 09:50 AM
link   

Makes perfect sense.

And none of those beliefs are "your" beliefs.

Somebody, or some group of people, gave them to you.

Do this:

Write down 100 beliefs about money and life.

Then decide which beliefs are useful to you. If a belief doesn't serve you, serve others, and serve the greater good, get rid of it.

Do you like doing good in the world?

Money is just a tool, like a hammer.

posted on Jan, 21 2015 @ 09:55 AM
link   

Ok now that makes more sense.

posted on Jan, 21 2015 @ 10:08 AM
link   

Ok now that makes more sense.

Good!

I have a friend who is a very high paid consultant to financial traders. The first thing he has them do is write down 100 beliefs they have and decide which are useful.

Some beliefs limit you. Get rid of those. Replace them with beliefs that empower you.

"Money is bad" vs. "Money is a tool I can use to help millions of people and live a great life."

Which belief is more useful?

posted on Jan, 21 2015 @ 10:21 AM
link   
If you are doing something you love,

Then, you will never work a day in your life. Believe me, I know.

posted on Jan, 21 2015 @ 10:26 AM
link   
OK, I'll give you a real answer! 'FOLLOW THE MONEY'. This isn't a moral issue; it's an entrepreneurial one. If you don't follow the money, now, later on in life you're, more than likely, going to wish that you had. There are vocations, and avocations. Boxing (fisticuffs) is, for most people, an avocation. My suggestion would be to continue teaching people how to beat each other's brains out; but do it during the evening, and on weekends.

new topics

top topics

join