It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"State of the Union: 12 quick hits"

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 21 2015 @ 08:31 AM
link   
This morning in the Seattle Times is an article that quickly tells of 12 important topics of the President's speech last night. I am posting this for people who are in a hurry and don't want to read the entire speech.

Link: seattletimes.com...

The President wants to help improve the lives of middle class people in particular...and one of the ways he wants to do that is to raise the taxes on the wealthy...which I think Republicans will not allow...particularly since they control the House and the Senate now.

posted on Jan, 21 2015 @ 08:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: caladonea
This morning in the Seattle Times is an article that quickly tells of 12 important topics of the President's speech last night. I am posting this for people who are in a hurry and don't want to read the entire speech.

Link: seattletimes.com...

The President wants to help improve the lives of middle class people in particular...and one of the ways he wants to do that is to raise the taxes on the wealthy...which I think Republicans will not allow...particularly since they control the House and the Senate now.

He is alienating a lot of people if he thinks that $500K per household, per year makes someone rich. The problem with this type of proposal is it does not take into account where these people live, nor the cost of living in any area. $500K to someone in Manhattan is like $75K to someone in a rural town.

I also do not think it is smart of him to kill the inheritance tax break. Those same middle class people he is claiming to try to help will be the ones who's kids will get hit hardest when the inheritance comes.

Overall, I was not a bug fan of the SOTU speech. He seemed more worried about puffing his chest out and blowing smoke than actually giving us the real skinny on how the US is doing.

posted on Jan, 21 2015 @ 08:44 AM
link   
a reply to: Vasa Croe

I feel that there is a lot that is hidden...that (we the people) should know about. Maybe here on ATS we can figure some of it out.

posted on Jan, 21 2015 @ 09:00 AM
link   
The speech was all liberal Robin Hood rubbish - steal from the rich and give to the poor. What I thought was the best speech last night was the GOP response given by Joni Ernst. She looked scared sh!tless and her story from childhood schooldays akin to wearing newspapers for shoes and walking 15 miles to school, uphill both ways. She looked wooden and plastic, like Mitt Romney in a wig and lipstick. Face it folks, the Dems and Reps are a two-headed snake. We need a third party candidate in '16 or it will be at least six more years of this BS.

posted on Jan, 21 2015 @ 09:14 AM
link   
a reply to: UnBreakable

It was interesting to me last night...when the President was speaking and the camera would pan over the crowd listening...that the Republicans would not clap in response to many statements...and the democrats would. When many of the Republicans were listening to President Obama...I saw the look of hatred in their eyes.

posted on Jan, 21 2015 @ 09:43 AM
link   

It was interesting to me last night...when the President was speaking and the camera would pan over the crowd listening...that the Republicans would not clap in response to many statements...and the democrats would. When many of the Republicans were listening to President Obama...I saw the look of hatred in their eyes.

Yep, partisan politics at it's finest. I'm not an Obama fan, but I have to admit the guy thinks quick on his feet. It was great when he said he's not campaigning anymore, as this is his last term. Of course some Reps clapped sarcastically in mock gratitude and relief. Without missing a beat he says "Ya, but I won both times." Of course the Obama haters say he was taunting even though the GOP clapped first.

"Mr. Obama issued a broad call for “a better politics” that began with common principles, and said his agenda isn’t political, pointing out “I have no more campaigns to run.
That drew rousing applause from the GOP side of the aisle, which had sat on its hands as Mr. Obama had ticked off partisan proposals he wanted to see, and threatened vetoes of bipartisan bills Republicans are trying to pass.
The applause was too much for Mr. Obama, who punctuated his declaration that his campaigns are over by saying, “I know, because I won both of them. Democrats roared with delight, while red-faces Republicans grimaced."

www.washingtontimes.com...

posted on Jan, 21 2015 @ 10:29 AM
link   

That is practically protocol for as many years as I can remember.

The people in the audience who are in the opposing party from the President.
Only applaud lightly and politely if they agree.
Don't applaud if they even slightly disagree.
Only stand if they think 100% of their constituents agree with what is said.

This behavior is nothing new at all.
The Democrats behaved like this when the president who gave the speech was Republican.

One can not judge the true reaction of the congress/senate when the speech is televised
because the unwritten rules are quite rigid when it comes to
when to applaud, when to weakly applaud, and when to sit on ones hands
at a State of the Union address.

It is standard and expected behavior for a State of the Union address, has been for as long as I can remember.
edit on 10Wed, 21 Jan 2015 10:32:22 -0600am12101amk213 by grandmakdw because: format

posted on Jan, 21 2015 @ 10:46 AM
link   

That's a message that's borderline evil on many levels.

First, trying to convince the "middle class" that they need the government to improve their lives.

Second, saying that the way to improve their lives is take money from somebody else.

Third, by creating division and animosity, instead of unity.

Image you had two kids. One was more successful than the other. Would you go to the one less successful and say, "You know what... I can make your life better. I'll just take some of your sister's money and give it to you. Now do you think I'm the better parent?"

posted on Jan, 21 2015 @ 10:50 AM
link   
a reply to: caladonea

if you really think that the tax money will go to the middle class or the poor here in the U.S., i got a bridge i'll sell ya.

he doesn't need to raise taxes, just close all the loop holes and make them pay the rate they should be paying and that would increase the amount coming in. plus stop funding illegals and giving out foreign aid and take care of our people first.
in 2012 the total amount of foreign aid to other counties was $48.4 billion, you do realize where most of that money comes from don't you, that's right taxes. we need to stop giving our money to countries that could care less about the U.S. other than our money.

edit on 21-1-2015 by hounddoghowlie because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 21 2015 @ 01:03 PM
link   
a reply to: hounddoghowlie

I think your solutions make more sense than anything I have heard recently.

posted on Jan, 21 2015 @ 01:04 PM
link   
a reply to: Jamie1

You make some interesting points...food for thought!

posted on Jan, 21 2015 @ 01:07 PM
link   
a reply to: grandmakdw

You have educated me...thank you. Is the hatred in their eyes status quo too?

posted on Jan, 21 2015 @ 01:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: UnBreakable
The speech was all liberal Robin Hood rubbish - steal from the rich and give to the poor. What I thought was the best speech last night was the GOP response given by Joni Ernst. She looked scared sh!tless and her story from childhood schooldays akin to wearing newspapers for shoes and walking 15 miles to school, uphill both ways. She looked wooden and plastic, like Mitt Romney in a wig and lipstick. Face it folks, the Dems and Reps are a two-headed snake. We need a third party candidate in '16 or it will be at least six more years of this BS.

sorry to tell you this pal, but the wealthy have already stolen most of the income and assets of the bottom 99%....but you keep believing that is some type of myth....just keep away from the actual financial data and you'll be fine.

posted on Jan, 21 2015 @ 01:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: jimmyx

sorry to tell you this pal, but the wealthy have already stolen most of the income and assets of the bottom 99%....but you keep believing that is some type of myth....just keep away from the actual financial data and you'll be fine.

I'm well aware of the financial data, PAL and the 1% who have the wealth. I also see the welfare state which has increased under Obama. I'm a member of the middle class with two kids in college who had the foresight to save in 529's starting when my kids were infants. Now I will get screwed as my 529 taxes will be increased (after Obama previously said they wouldn't be touched) to put other's kids in community college for free because they didn't bother to sacrifice. Free isn't free under Obama. Someone has to pay for others to get free stuff. So don't preach to me about financial data, PAL. Educate yourself.

"Obama Tax Hike on College Savings Plans Breaks Middle Class Tax Pledge"
www.atr.org...

posted on Jan, 21 2015 @ 02:37 PM
link   

a reply to: grandmakdw

You have educated me...thank you. Is the hatred in their eyes status quo too?

Yes, absolutely is status quo!

posted on Jan, 21 2015 @ 04:03 PM
link   
a reply to: Vasa Croe

He is alienating a lot of people if he thinks that $500K per household, per year makes someone rich.

Seeing as 99% of the population makes less than $500k per household, per year I wouldn't imagine he's alienating too many people.

I also do not think it is smart of him to kill the inheritance tax break. Those same middle class people he is claiming to try to help will be the ones who's kids will get hit hardest when the inheritance comes.

Seeing as the paltry inheritance tax proposed only hits anything over $5 million, I don't imagine too many middle class kids getting hit with it.

posted on Jan, 21 2015 @ 05:49 PM
link   
I lost interest about 3 minutes in when he said our economy was growing faster than it had since 1999 and unemployment was lower than it was when our financial crisis began. Because that's all bluster, we're still in a crippling recession and there's no way to sugar coat that.

posted on Jan, 21 2015 @ 06:03 PM
link   

As I read it, since the student becomes the beneficiary of the 529 when s/he goes to college, the student will declare it as income, not the parents, and be taxed at a lower rate, which is how the ed 529s first started out, before the GWB change.

So the experiment from the 1990s is reverting back to the original rule. And that is only for gain from new investments, so your students in college now should be ok. The tax code giveth, the tax code taketh away (the 1980s tax code changes made me laugh and cry at the same time!)

I think what happened was that the wealthy took advantage of the ed 529 as a tax avoidance plan. Those with the means to pay cash for their children's education will always be able to pay; those who depend on these Wall Street investment products to send their children to college are at the mercy of the ups and downs of the stock market, especially with accounts that take age into consideration.

While helping families afford higher education is a worthy public policy goal, federal and state tax codes may not be the best way to accomplish it. Market volatility makes results vulnerable to luck and timing, and tax advantages mean such policies are more likely to benefit the wealthy. To pay for 529 savings plans, the federal government will be forgoing $2.9 billion in lost revenue from 2010–2014. 11 That money would be better used to boost programs that directly help students afford college who would otherwise not be able to.

PDF source

Also, on another note, Joni Ernst either really misunderstood the reason for the bread bags or tried to tie it in with being poor,thrifty, and resourceful. The fact is bread bags were so often used as a way for your shoes to slip easier into over boots; you didn't have to be poor to use them. It wasn't just Iowa kids or poor kids in the 1980s who had their Moms slip bread bags over their shoes in Winter.

It was more likely Moms trying to save time and frustration at getting shoes into boots. Heck, I slipped my kids' feet into plastic bags in the 1980s California mountain snow to get their boots on easier over tennis shoes!

posted on Jan, 21 2015 @ 06:08 PM
link   

Robbing from the poor (and middle class) and giving to the rich is more your style, eh?

posted on Jan, 21 2015 @ 08:55 PM
link   

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join