It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help End the Ivory Trade (Last Days of Ivory)

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 21 2015 @ 12:17 AM
link   
Just share this video...

Help save one of the most intelligent, gentle animal on the planet....

Before its too late...

Visit lastdaysofivory.com to get informed and take action.

Either we come together now to make these the last days of ivory-funded terrorism or we witness the last days of elephants in the wild.

posted on Jan, 21 2015 @ 12:22 AM
link   
a reply to: Akragon

It is too late.

posted on Jan, 21 2015 @ 12:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: CraftBuilder

It is too late.

i wouldn't say that, the tiger population in india has risen 30% in 3 years.
one source says count from 2008 says there were 1411 one source count from 2011 say there were 1706. both say there are now 2,226.
India’s Tiger Population Has Risen Significantly Since 2008, Say Officials
India's tiger population sees 30% increase

seeing how they were all but wiped out, 100 years ago there was said to 100,000 and they fell down to 1400 to increase that much in just three years is great news.

so i see no reason why the elephants and the rhinos that are left can't be protected and come back.

edit on 21-1-2015 by hounddoghowlie because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 21 2015 @ 01:34 AM
link   
Poaching is an abomination, and it sucks to see numerous animal populations being affected by it. Gorillas, rhinos, elephants...the list goes on, and they are all becoming threatened as a result of these disgusting criminal operations.

Thanks for the video, Akragon.

posted on Jan, 21 2015 @ 01:45 AM
link   
isn't there just a way to ummm, you know like farm elephants?? Ivory is such a wonderful product and I own a few things made of it. Can we use walrus tusks too and whats the difference in maturity timelines to where the ivory can be harvested?? Maybe if a company "like" DeBeers got into elephant farming back in the day they could of had a sustainable corner on ivory. But the world left it to thugs and bandits to harvest ivory and almost killed everything until legislation to protect them came in. Now its expensive as hell to buy pre-ban ivory and I have to get lucky at an antique shop or something.

If we can mass produce and eat cows and chickens, why cant we do the same for elephants and walrus for ivory?? We can just make agreements with traditional villages to take in the bodies for food and utility, while we keep the precious precious ivory

posted on Jan, 21 2015 @ 02:03 AM
link   
For some reason Dyepes reply reminded me of a Mitchell and Webb sketch which I laughed hard and 100% agreed with

posted on Jan, 21 2015 @ 02:17 AM
link   
a reply to: thekaboose

Yes yes A THOUSAND TIMES YES!!!! oh that is just too rich.

posted on Jan, 21 2015 @ 02:39 AM
link   
a reply to: DYepes

isn't there just a way to ummm, you know like farm elephants??

Well considering its pretty much the equivalent of killing humans for their teeth...

I hope to God such a thing never happens...

Though Nazi Germany did something similar actually... but they only wanted gold teeth

Oh... and hair for pillows... Waste not right?

posted on Jan, 21 2015 @ 02:51 AM
link   
a reply to: [post=18904511]DYepes[/post

Ivory is such a wonderful product and I own a few things made of it.

I really do hope that there was some sarcasm that i missed in your reply .

posted on Jan, 21 2015 @ 03:32 AM
link   
China, Taiwan and South Korea, to name but three nations that are significant importers of illegal ivory. China has been historically been quite lax in asserting their commitments under CITES, (that's the "Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora"), which is unsurprising because they just don't care about environmental issues.

Chinese medicine is the path to destruction for many endangered species. Rhino ivory, tigers balls - you name it.

Regards

posted on Jan, 21 2015 @ 03:38 AM
link   

What about the rhino horn trade? That is a much bigger problem!!!

That is the case in South Africa.

In one year, 1804 rhinos were poached in the KNP, and only 5 elephants.
edit on 21-1-2015 by IndependentOpinion because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 21 2015 @ 03:46 AM
link   
a reply to: paraphi
Why is it always f###en China?

Why?

posted on Jan, 21 2015 @ 03:48 AM
link   
a reply to: IndependentOpinion

I think the idea here is people killing beautiful animals for prizes, trinkets and the like...

Its a repulsive practice, and epitomises the sickness of greed in this world

posted on Jan, 21 2015 @ 04:14 AM
link   

And it does not look like anyone is doing anything!!

One problem is every measure the polise is putting in place to protect the aninals, they make public in the news. So the poachers use that to work around it!!!

posted on Jan, 21 2015 @ 05:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: LittleGreenAlien

In this case it's because the trade in ivory has been exacerbated by China's demand and the slowness of the Chinese authorities to do anything about it. Not to mention the trade in a wider range of endangered species (and body parts) to support the back-ward Chinese Medicine trade.

Death by the Chinese medicine trade, to name but a few...

- Rhino horn is a key ingredient in some Chinese medicine cures. Rhinos are critically endangered, but apparently cures human cancer!

- Water buffalo extinct in Laos, Bangladesh, Indonesia and Sri Lanka. Pure wild water buffalo horn is an alternative to Rhino horn.

- Chinese alligator critically endangered and a cure for the common cold and cancer!

- Musk deer populations are crashing in Asia, but their glands and cure for respiratory problems.

- Sun bears "donate" their gall bladder which is a coverall cure from burns to cancer. Look at Sun bear farms as an example of Chinese animal rights. It's revolting.

- Grevy’s Zebra fat cures TB.

- Tiger parts cures everything from toothache to curses!

Need I go on? Some people who complain about Western medicine have no clue.

Regards
edit on 21/1/2015 by paraphi because: typo

posted on Jan, 21 2015 @ 05:08 AM
link   
What I find inexplicable was watching on TV the tons of sized ivory being burnt, what a total waste, it could have been sold off to fund anti poacher patrols, people in high places, especially tree huggers, seem 99 cents short of a dollar, those elephants really did die in vain.
Thankfully elephants are now being born with tusks so short its not worth the poachers efforts. (big tuskers never made it to breeding age, therefore only small tuskers being born these days).

posted on Jan, 21 2015 @ 05:35 AM
link   
a reply to: pikestaff

What I find inexplicable was watching on TV the tons of sized ivory being burnt, what a total waste, it could have been sold off to fund anti poacher patrols, people in high places, especially tree huggers, seem 99 cents short of a dollar, those elephants really did die in vain.

I have that exact same thoughts!!!

posted on Jan, 21 2015 @ 06:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: LittleGreenAlien
a reply to: paraphi

Why?

Really? I suggest you get aquainted with this global circumstance. Here is 60 examples of the 754 (excluding the more than 2000 bird species known to be driven extinct in prehistoric times in the eastern Pacific islands after human settlement a few thousand years ago) or so recent human caused animal extinctions.
en.wikipedia.org...:Species_made_extinct_by_huma n_activities

posted on Jan, 22 2015 @ 02:05 AM
link   
a reply to: CraftBuilder
Let's talk about the here and now and China's negative role in the ivory trade, as per OP. It's not just China, there are other nations in Asia who play a part, as well as corrupt Africans. However, China is complicit at a high level.

Regards

posted on Jan, 22 2015 @ 03:10 AM
link   
Hey all my Ivory was slaughtered out of elephants long before there was an international ban on the practice. Some pistol grips, antique jewelry and carvings/figurines. Its pretty cool stuff encrusted with shiny gems man. Treasure me likey. I just dont see why we cannot find a farm-able factory farm solution for elephant ivory. Lets go Capitalism, you control the world right now. Lets farm the elephants. Use your rich science money for that, and the return of wool mammoths would be cool too.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join