It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Schools in Illinois now have access to kids' social media passwords

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+6 more 
posted on Jan, 20 2015 @ 11:22 PM
link   

legislators now can demand a student's social media password.
According to KTVI, Illinois schools could only take action against bullying if the post on Facebook or other social media occurred during the school day. The new law gives school districts and colleges the ability to demand a student's social media password regardless if it was posted after hours.

You have got to be kidding me.

I'm no fan of bullying, but bullying isn't going to be stopped by invading students private accounts. I don't see how this is at all legal, and I really can't see it holding up if challenged.

Schools should have 0 freaking ability to access a students account, even if the student was using the account while at school. It's a huge breach of trust.

If a kid is using his smart phone in class, by all means, confiscate the phone. If a student bullies another kid at school, by all means take action. You do not have the right to have full access to their personal social media accounts.

Think about all the communications that these kids think would be private being combed over because the kid called another kid a name. Think how much room for abuse there is.

Link

posted on Jan, 20 2015 @ 11:29 PM
link   
Erm ! "Sorry sir but i don't quite recall what my password is right now, my minds gone completely blank".

posted on Jan, 20 2015 @ 11:30 PM
link   
a reply to: Domo1

Abuse is right! The kid's privacy: Abused.
Their account details: Abused.
Changing texts to say what the officials want: Bingo!!!!

What a bunch of B.S. this policy is. Another reason to move out of Illinois. But it won't stop there probably. Soon this Tripe will be happening ALL over!!

Good Thread!! Thanx for the Share!!
Syx.

posted on Jan, 20 2015 @ 11:33 PM
link   

Ya this is ridiculous...

This will do nothing but cause more problems.

posted on Jan, 20 2015 @ 11:34 PM
link   
One more reason NOT to have social media along with NOT let your kids have/use social media...

posted on Jan, 20 2015 @ 11:36 PM
link   
I live in Illinois and they have about as much chance of enforcing this as the law against sodomy. Any school trying to force my son or daughter to disclose anything without me present or against their will, WILL be met with absolute resistance and the merit in that stance is that I am far from the only one.

This is gross and profane overreach, it will not stand the test of time nor the test of parents.
edit on 20-1-2015 by Helious because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 20 2015 @ 11:38 PM
link   
a reply to: Helious

Glad to hear it.

I would be pissed if it was just schools disciplining posts that everyone could see, or that the victim of bullying received, but why do you need full access to the kids account?

Well little Susie, looks like I'm going to have to tell your parents and the police about those comments you made about drug use unless you get naked in my office...
edit on 2020150120151 by Domo1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 20 2015 @ 11:38 PM
link   
a reply to: sayzaar

Lol That! Or tell em, "You want in bad enough, hack the account. You probably will anyway."
That or they will change the password once in, eh? Freakin nosy pricks anyway. Why can't people just let kids grow up and fend for themselves anyway. We all did it. Hell the kids now days won't be able to make important decisions later in life with out checking with mom or dad first they are babied so much now.
I don't get it. Let lose a game or get punched. Try harder next time and win. Punch em back if they started it first. I mean really? Man.......
I was bullied plenty. It taught Me to learn to defend Myself better. Guy was twice my size and a jock. I was a skinny long haired kid 3 years younger. Next time that dude tried something with me, I squared off, kicked him right in the kahoonas, and we became friends after it. He actually told me, "Man I just wanted to see if You would defend yourself." Well, there ya go, right?

posted on Jan, 20 2015 @ 11:39 PM
link   
The whole deal is a fumble-flop.

What's to stop somebody from setting up an "account" in somebody else's name and even a picture to frame somebody?

I assume educated people are in charge of this mess.

posted on Jan, 20 2015 @ 11:42 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

What's to stop somebody from setting up an "account" in somebody else's name and even a picture to frame somebody?

That's a concern. I also am pretty sure almost all of these social media terms bar people from password sharing.

I also think there's some law on the books about this. Not just the 4th either.

link   
well there are two simple and easy solutions to this absurdity. the first would be

Erm ! "Sorry sir but i don't quite recall what my password is right now, my minds gone completely blank".
or any combination of no thank you, now go # yourself.

Or simply not to have a social media account. Why do kids really need one anyways?? There is no "need" of one as Almost every single adult on this website grew up without one.

Its like the same thing with all this internet law bs. Worried about private information store digitally online which can already be readily accessed by any NSA dweeb? Then dont store your information online. I could care less about the governments overreaching into the digital realm, because for the most part the extent of my online presence is here on ATS, and Blu-ray.com forums.

I could care less. In fact if it were me today, I would intentionally cause a stir through the social media, and then just delete my account. So when the admin comes a knocking I can honestly tell them "what account are you speaking of sir or madam?"

When I was in school the thing wit the internet was how to be anonymous. Now it just seems that kids are too lazy to bother with privacy, and they just share everything because its easier. Gone are the good ol days of having at least a dozen different email addy's for whatever malicious purpose. Kids need to start creating spoof profiles and just deleting them if if causes controversy. Be all like "huh, what account was that again??"

Never existed!

link   
a reply to: Helious

I whole Heartedly Agree!!!!!!
Syx.

posted on Jan, 20 2015 @ 11:43 PM
link   
That right there is a 4th amendment violation.

Students should remind them of that.

posted on Jan, 20 2015 @ 11:45 PM
link   
a reply to: DYepes

This cracked Me up!! "Gone are the good ol days of having at least a dozen different email addy's for whatever malicious purpose."

I am LMFAO!!!! STILL!!!!!!

posted on Jan, 20 2015 @ 11:46 PM
link   
a reply to: neo96

Stop trying to make them learn! They should only fear!

posted on Jan, 20 2015 @ 11:50 PM
link   

i would suspect that giving your account info would violate the T&C of the social media site.

While not a legal problem, it does jeopardize your ability to maintain a social account. For whatever that would be worth.

posted on Jan, 20 2015 @ 11:52 PM
link   
a reply to: DYepes

this sounds like both my kids. They close their FB accounts about twice a year each. The truth: it how they thin family from the ranks of their friends list.

posted on Jan, 20 2015 @ 11:57 PM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

Pretty effective for a little while anyway for em, eh? Kids are smart, sometimes. But don't let em know that You know that, right?
LOL!!!

posted on Jan, 21 2015 @ 12:16 AM
link   
Don't hurt the little people.

Sony had to learn that lesson the hard way.

School vs Students in a hacking war and the students will win hands down.

There are always repercussions for your actions.

All this sort of thing will achieve is to make more and more little cells similar to Anonymous.

It is not a contest the School Boards will win.

P

posted on Jan, 21 2015 @ 12:28 AM
link   

5th amendment springs to mind.

new topics

<<   2 >>

join