It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is it ROdeo burger or roDEO burger?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 20 2015 @ 10:20 PM
link   
I need to know so I can be comfortable in Burger King. Forget Starbucks, I can't begin to pronounce stuff. But a BK burger should be no problem right? Sometimes the girl at the register hollers back to the crew roDEO and at another BK the register gal said it ROdeo. So I'd like to know once and for all which one is the proper way to order it? Just in case I meet a gal and invite her out for dinner, I want to look smart and all.

posted on Jan, 20 2015 @ 10:55 PM
link   

So I'd like to know once and for all which one is the proper way to order it? Just in case I meet a gal and invite her out for dinner, I want to look smart and all.

If I was a chick and I met a classy guy like you I dont think it would matter how you pronounced it, I would just be happy I was there.
But I understand your point, there are a few snobby bitches out there who may look down on you if you committed such a faux pas and unfortunately I cant help out as I have never heard of this burger.

My advice would be if the lucky lady has her nose so far in the air that she is worried about how you say the burger and not just appreciative shes getting one you should just move on, you deserve better

posted on Jan, 20 2015 @ 10:56 PM
link   
dictionary.cambridge.org...

Hope that helps. Being from the Midwest, Ive had the unfortunate experience of attending a few Rodeos.
edit on 4710pmkpm2kpm2 by Shakawkaw because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 20 2015 @ 11:24 PM
link   
RoDEO is more West coast, ie "RoDEO Drive", Spanish influence. "ROdeo", The South, other places in the US for horse and cattle events. Wondered the distinction too before but apparently it can be either way but typically you'll hear RoDEO in the Western US.
edit on 20-1-2015 by dreamingawake because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 20 2015 @ 11:25 PM
link   
a reply to: AreUKiddingMe

Rodeo is actually originally a SPANISH word.

In Spanish, it's pronounced "roh-DAY-oh"....NOT "ROW-dee-oh."

I guess Beverly Hills is too cool to pronounce it the American way.

But they're pronouncing it the proper way, so I can't say it's necessarily "uppity"...

Here's the history if you're interested:
On August 3, 1769, Don José Gaspar de Portolà, the first governor of provincial California, and his entourage, the Portola expedition, became the first Europeans known to arrive in the area.
The Tongva ("Gabrieleño") people living in the area considered it to be a holy site because of its precious commodity, water, and the abundant food supply it provided. Their name for the site, "the Gathering of the Waters", translates to Spanish as "El Rodeo de las Aguas." The street retains its Spanish pronunciation even today.

If this ever comes up, lay this bit of information on your date and really impress her. Be careful, though. However she thinks it should be pronounced, just nod and shut up.

edit on 1/20/2015 by N3k9Ni because: typo

posted on Jan, 20 2015 @ 11:29 PM
link   

ROW-dee-oh is by far the most common pronunciation
Emphasis on 1st syllable unless you've lived in certain areas of Arkansas or Louisianna your whole life in which case you may may pronounce it

row-DAY-oh
with the emphasis on the middle syllable

Generally both pronunciations are universally accepted as correct...although the 2nd one might get some people making fun of you behind your back

ETA:
You don't need to worry about looking smart though...taking a gal out to BK will probably leave more than enough of an impression

edit on 20-1-2015 by coldkidc because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 21 2015 @ 12:11 AM
link   
Whatever the hell its called its freaking delicious. Seriously, as a Foodie, putting onion rings on a cheeseburger with a little BBQ sauce was probably the best idea since having fries with that.

^that is the size of my maw when I inhale rodeo burgers Kirby style.

posted on Jan, 21 2015 @ 08:47 AM
link   
It's ROdeo in Texas and roDayO in Hollywood.. like Houston (pronounced you-ston) in Texas but it's how-ston for the street spelled exactly the same in NYC. NEWARK is newerk in New Jersey but New- ark in Deleware.
eply to: AreUKiddingMe

posted on Jan, 21 2015 @ 08:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: dreamingawake
RoDEO is more West coast, ie "RoDEO Drive", Spanish influence. "ROdeo", The South, other places in the US for horse and cattle events. Wondered the distinction too before but apparently it can be either way but typically you'll hear RoDEO in the Western US.

Now it's not just cattle and horse events. It's bronco bustin cowboys wrestling steer and hog tying em. It's throwing stetsons into the air and lariate tossing and riding on bulls. Generally men in tight jeans and shirts with string ties. What's not to like?

posted on Jan, 21 2015 @ 08:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: CagliostroTheGreat
Whatever the hell its called its freaking delicious. Seriously, as a Foodie, putting onion rings on a cheeseburger with a little BBQ sauce was probably the best idea since having fries with that.

^that is the size of my maw when I inhale rodeo burgers Kirby style.

Dude that's what makes the MacRib sandwich so good. Onion rings and BBQ sauce. Winning combo in my book.

posted on Jan, 21 2015 @ 03:04 PM
link   
a reply to: CagliostroTheGreat

I know, they are so good!

posted on Jan, 21 2015 @ 03:05 PM
link   
a reply to: IkNOwSTuff

I wholeheartedly agree. It shouldn't really matter how I pronounce it. If she likes me it shouldn't matter. Thank you.

posted on Jan, 21 2015 @ 03:08 PM
link   
a reply to: coldkidc

Thank you so much for clarifying. Yes it should make an impression. I guess I'll go with ROdeo burger and I think if I go out I'll even foot the bill. That should make an even better impression.

posted on Jan, 21 2015 @ 03:12 PM
link   
a reply to: N3k9Ni

Now that's a real conversation starter! While we're eating our rodeo burgers I can ask her if she knows the real meaning of Rodeo. If that doesn't impress her then I'll clean up after us and take the tray to the garbage bin.

posted on Jan, 21 2015 @ 03:58 PM
link   

If that impresses her, then tell her you learned it on ATS. If THAT impresses her, she's a keeper.

posted on Jan, 24 2015 @ 11:17 AM
link   

It's ROdeo if you are just an average all-American consumer.

It's roDEO if you are in Beverly Hills, California on "roDEO Drive".

new topics

top topics

join