It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Yellowstone Awakens from Slumber- Again- New Quake Swarm In Progress

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+21 more 
posted on Jan, 20 2015 @ 10:09 PM
link   
It appears we have a flurry of smaller seismic activity somewhere between YMR and YHL going on. And it is persistent, with over 30 events now that I can count, and more coming in by the minute. Will update, stay tuned...

Take a look at YMR:
www.quake.utah.edu...

And YMC:
www.quake.utah.edu...
edit on Tue Jan 20th 2015 by TrueAmerican because: (no reason given)

Sometimes they start increasing in magnitude, which, umm... hmm...getting more coming in now...yup, a bit stronger, but still overall sub 2 mag. Coming in fast though now, I be a watchin.

Well over 50 events now, so a small swarm it is already. And now what appears to be some separate seismicity happening at the Lake. Ok, that subsided... Hmm I hate it when it does this and all of a sudden different parts of the park light up at once. THAT is scary to me.

posted on Jan, 20 2015 @ 10:14 PM
link   
a reply to: TrueAmerican

looks to be fairly minor in general.. i dont know if i would even jump the gun with this one... Swarm is not the word here

posted on Jan, 20 2015 @ 10:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: steve95988

looks to be fairly minor in general.. i dont know if i would even jump the gun with this one... Swarm is not the word here

I like your post better, in terms of fingers crossed every time this beast turns over in its slumber.

posted on Jan, 20 2015 @ 10:25 PM
link   
Always Good That You are on these Eposodes TrueAmerican, Don't let the naysayers get you down, because we all might be very thankful one day that we have you, Puterman and Westcoast looking out for us on these seismic events. Peace
Arjunanda OH and S&F. a reply to: TrueAmerican

posted on Jan, 20 2015 @ 10:29 PM
link   

Thanks for keeping us informed TA.

Minor or not, I always am grateful when you let us know about things you're seeing.

posted on Jan, 20 2015 @ 10:29 PM
link   
a reply to: arjunanda

Thanks, and you're welcome. I am not screaming, not shouting, and not claiming the world is ending. So far it's just another small swarm at Old Yeller. But it could escalate, and THAT is why I watch this monster. Just in case. Or long period events could start. Or tremor. Extremely unlikely, but... Never know.

posted on Jan, 20 2015 @ 10:31 PM
link   

Are you located nearby?

posted on Jan, 20 2015 @ 10:36 PM
link   
I have followed Yellowstone activity for about 6 years now... it always seems to have some type of swarm activity in the wintertime, now whether that is just water or ice movement, who knows.. but thats for the heads up... i constantly have gee pulled up and of course numerous Yellowstone stations running full time
edit on 01/04/2009 by steve95988 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 20 2015 @ 10:39 PM
link   
a reply to: arjunanda

I hope you don't count me as a naysayer, I love TrueAmerican's threads, and read them when they appear because I know the quality. My comment came because I fear them a little bit too, especially when Yellowstone yawns.

posted on Jan, 20 2015 @ 10:40 PM
link   
a reply to: JessicaRabbitTx

No, but let's just say I am watching very closely live data streams from the seismometers in.... umm... uh oh... not good, that better be a teleseism from Idaho there... because... ahhh, holy crap. That looks like...like... Umm folks, I be right back... I think...

posted on Jan, 20 2015 @ 10:44 PM
link   

Awesome. Good to know someone watching for us.

posted on Jan, 20 2015 @ 10:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: TrueAmerican
a reply to: JessicaRabbitTx

No, but let's just say I am watching very closely live data streams from the seismometers in.... umm... uh oh... not good, that better be a teleseism from Idaho there... because... ahhh, holy crap. That looks like...like... Umm folks, I be right back... I think...

Like this one. Yikes?

posted on Jan, 20 2015 @ 10:49 PM
link   
Don't Worry Aleister, I wasn't calling you a naysayer. It was about replies in previous threads I was on about,. I follow TA's, Puterman's and Westcoast's stuff pretty closely. Peace
Arjunanda a reply to: Aleister

posted on Jan, 20 2015 @ 10:52 PM
link   
Ok, had to open up some more stations to see WTF that was, and I believe it to be a small quake in SE Idaho somewhere. I think, but not sure. Waiting for USGS to report on that. Could be from that same spot near Challis, ID that has been getting that swarm lately. Damn sure picked a hell of a time, right in the middle of this YS swarm to confuse the issue.

UPDATE: swarm activity overall decreasing, but still present. Quakes have not really increased in mag that I can see... yet.

UPDATE again: Picking up again now, intensity/mag slightly increasing.

Generally these smaller mag quakes like this are usually associated with hydrothermal activity. So it's probably not magma unless this picks up in mag.

UPDATE AGAIN: In reviewing individual events in spectro, if my calcs are correct, I believe the highest mag in this series so far is about a 1.8 to 2.2 max- so it appears hydrothermal. So far...

posted on Jan, 20 2015 @ 11:18 PM
link   
I'm hoping we will get a small volcanic eruption. It's been too quiet.

I suppose someone will make a thread on the upcoming asteroid on the twenty sixth and possible companion asteroids shortly. It's been sort of quiet lately

posted on Jan, 20 2015 @ 11:19 PM
link   
Are animals really leaving Yellowstone or is that a hoax perpetuated by internet videos of animals running along roads?

posted on Jan, 20 2015 @ 11:53 PM
link   
BUMP!

posted on Jan, 21 2015 @ 12:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: stirling
BUMP!

Lol, trust me folks, I got this. If it escalates even a little bit, you'll be the first to know. As of now it's dying down. A few fidgets here and there, but overall pretty run of the mill small flurry swarm we've seen so many times before at YS. I'll be up for the next couple hours, so if I don't update this in that time, that's cause there's nothing worth posting. Note that there's nothing on USGS about this yet cause the NEIC won't report unless it's like 3+ mag- and no 3 mag even has occurred yet. Univ. of Utah will likely start posting these in the next day or two.

posted on Jan, 21 2015 @ 12:24 PM
link   

Wasn't there another when they had the last oil spill report? is it in the same area?

The scenic Yellowstone River has suffered its second sizable oil spill in four years, prompting truckloads of drinking water to be shipped into the eastern Montana city of Glendive. The latest spill is not expected to affect Yellowstone National Park, about 350 miles upstream.

news.nationalgeographic.com...

posted on Jan, 22 2015 @ 10:53 AM
link   
Some small seismic activity has started near the Lake now, but I gotta go to work. Check the Lake seismos, and keep an eye out for increases in mags, army of watchers! They often start small and escalate. And especially at the Lake. And with that bulge under there... But could go away. Let's hope it does.

<<   2 >>

join